Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ah hell, count me in for the Central Powers! Ideally some nice low-level position, so that I can develop a deep and meaningful bond with the soldiers under my command before inadvertently ordering them right into an MG crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

twig1919 posted:

The thing is from my perspective the Germans got it a bit easier. They had the better arty and brigades, and would have easily stomped the allies if they had planned for contingencies. They assumed that the French wouldn't start to their south, then assumed that they wouldn't be able to call reinforcements to the southern border. Both times, someone had predicted this and the high command dismissed it. The fact that they are even in this battle after losing a whole division immediately says alot about how trin kept it from being a one sided cluserfuck, imo.

This is from a few pages back, but I figured I'd explain some of our thinking in the charge towards Q. We absolutely expected french reinforcements from the south (most likely from the southwest directly next to Q), and had extended discussions about that possibility in the R20. But the choice boiled down to essentially this: Either we dig in north of Dejeuner and settle for an unsatisfying draw/very minor victory, or we roll the dice on the hail mary and go all in on the tiny slim chance of actual victory. Had the timing shaken out just a tiny bit differently (or if the french there had been infantry instead of cav), our combined forces could probably still have given the BEF a good mauling while they had a go at Q.

Incidentally, I'd been one of the guys cautioning against that very charge. My fear at the time had been that we'd manage to take Dejeuner, but only end up too strung out and disorganised to put up any resistance against a concerted counterattack. Which was pretty much what happened, but I hadn't thought Cryo's guys would actually get inside the objective in time and trigger the win condition. So in the end I may have been right about the worst case but wrong about the thing that actually mattered, so it's a good thing Tevery listened to Cryo instead of me. :v:

Anyhow, the game was really fun, even if my dudes barely did anything but serve as the victims for the frenchmen's finest hour. I really enjoyed the very quick pace of updates, even though it did get a bit stressful at times. I guess that's period-accurate immersion for the commanders. :haw:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 5, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Looks like the Civilization games had it right, sometimes a proper cavalry charge really will see off armoured vehicles. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

From the Entente thread:

Loel posted:

I count 10 cav chits still on the map, plus the five we killed. Things I notice:
We are only facing one brigade in this area (as we would expect to see more rushing us if they had them).
They were heading on the southern road, and apparently were not expecting us. Speculatively, I think they were heading for M7. This suggests they think our south is the weakest position, so we may want to put our reinforcements in that area.
I think our other brigade can finish off theirs, although we'll be losing a lot of the AC brigade.
I think its more important to keep the AC remainder in the north as tripwires, just in case.
Im concerned they have a second brigade somewhere we don't see.

So close, and yet so far. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Post ITT, y'all. Eggs and baskets, eggs and baskets.

The way these two southern cav brigades are literally right next to each other and neither party knows is my favourite thing ever. I can't wait until the brits keep on moving, safe in the assumption they cleared out the Blob, only to find their intended trenches rudely occupied. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

You still haven't provided a single example of a charge against positions from last game, tbh.

There was that one fairly massive charge (one Bde plus fire support) by the French upon StC early on that was completely cut down without anybody doing much of anything. It started at around 10:30 and was finally wiped out around 12:00. Though that was against a numerically superior defending force. Then again the whole kerfluffle in the east around that time saw several charges by both sides that were initially successful but lead to the survivors being out of position and getting immediately cut down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Does forest affect artillery in any way?

Historically, getting shelled in a forest was even worse than in open ground. Many shells would hit the trees above you, turning them into impromptu airbursts and adding yet more shrapnel in the form of wood splinters. Dunno whether that's modelled in this game, though. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, my dad just convinced lenoon that he doesn't have to move his artillery pieces back into cover after all. You know, those same pieces that have just been discovered by the Germans to sit within a brisk walk's distance (and probably mortar range) of their hidden northern brigade. This could be good.

• Locked thread