Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I remember burning out watching the original game because it was too slow, so I'm totally in favor of the faster pace. I can't wait for the bloodshed heroics to begin! (Spectator)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Trin, You magnificent bastard.

Baguette is gonna get so hosed. Poor town has no idea what's about to happen, they all thought the clusterfuck would happen over in Saint Croissant. And so does everyone else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So the Germans are currently ignoring La Cote and rushing to set up a defensive front on Pasteur Ridge:
They haven't posted a lot of their plans in the thread, so this could be far from their final starting plan of action.

Meanwhile, it looks like the French are trying to decide between two courses of action, one proposed by barracuda and the other by my dad:

Bacarruda posted:

Here's my original plan, Plan SUD

Plan EST

It's gonna be really interesting to see how this plays out. If the French go with barracuda's original plan (first one), then they will be in a strong position to hold against the German push from Pasteur Ridge. However, if they follow my dad's plan, they could potentially flank from La Cote and put the Germans out of position. However, it seems like the Germans are at least considering that the French might not come from the opposite corner, so they might plan a contingency.

I can't wait for the fireworks to begin :getin:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Tevery Best comes through with another highly pretty map. They may not post much, but bigads, when they do...

German thinking now appears committed to swivelling around St Croissant - and I must admit, I chose that name over Gooneville because I imagined both sides potentially favouring a croissant-shaped attack around it. French thinking remains slightly more open, though! It's pretty much everything I could have hoped for.

Tevery Best has an interesting way of seeing things. He's making the assumption the French will be in the bottom left because that's the worst case scenario for them, and anything else is probably a better situation for them. He acknowledges the possibility of a bottom right starting position, and the potential dangers of a flank from La Cote, then goes, "Eh, probably not." Meanwhile, my dad is planning exactly that.

Trin Tragula, starting them both on the right side was goddamn genius.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Horse Artillery? What even is that?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Assuming this is a serious question...it's artillery on horse-drawn limbers, ready for rapid movement. Usually lighter, rapid-firing weapons intended to support infantry and advance alongside it.

I was having a lot of trouble trying to imagine what the term was describing because I'd never heard of it before. My first thought was a mortar saddle.

Also, the Germans might be hosed given their plan of attack and lack of contingency, but they're sure having fun thinking they aren't.

aphid_licker posted:

Ve haff set aside a bucket of Iron Crosses for the glorious dead and selected survivors *rattles bucket*

e: in terms of a reply to the other thread just send a pic of the French football jersey

e: sad, low-energy effort

Bad OPSEC ofc if you think that there is any chance whatsoever that they don't realize that that is our objective.

e:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 12, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

It has been fun watching them almost get it twice, then rapidly back off each time. They're going to look magnificent as they march straight down that road...

One of their brigade commanders is sending out cavalry scouts. The look on their faces will be magnificent when they come around the ridge line.

I know right! And I'm so excited it almost physically hurts to wait...

Dammit Trig, when's the first turn gonna start! :argh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I really want bullets to start flying. I'm staying out of the faction threads until things start up just to see the chaos once everyone's plans go to poo poo.

Don't worry, it's just a whole lot of order delivery for now. But maaaaan can I not wait for this to begin..

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The French:

Hunt11 posted:

I have just had it pointed out to me that I used the wrong picture for my preferred battle deployment. Is there any point in me posting what I actually meant?

my dad posted:

For the observer thread, yes.

For the battle, no.

:allears:

Let the chaos begin!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Until the French get their reinforcements into play, they're gonna be hurting. But, they seem to be holding up for the most part, and as long as they play defensive they can hold on for now. Hopefully the French start to dig in.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like the French are in good spirits. They are cautiously optimistic about the situation (perhaps not cautious enough), but seem to be counting on the B.E.F. to be the last nail in the coffin. Trin, they're gonna be so mad... (also you should ABSOLUTELY send my dad's special message to the Germans)

Meanwhile the Germans are freaking the gently caress out. :kingsley:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Cryo is extremely on point, absolutely the MVP of this game whether the Germans win or lose.

The actual German offensive in the west is rather small and partially suppressed. But if the rest of the guys on Dejeuner pull back and follow Cryo's men to Q and they start trying to get their north-eastern brigades on the move west to distract the entrenched French in the center of the map, they have a drat good chance at winning this.

oystertoadfish posted:

seems like the BEF will stumble upon those germans in Q and get rid of them given current orders, but maybe i'm wrong. i wonder if the french will ever try to have those reinforcements digging in in the NW sprint into F, and if it'll actually happen?

I have no idea why they haven't done so, but they already entrenched. Either way, if the Germans capitalize on this, I think they have the advantage given that their clock will start earlier.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

gently caress

Fitting that this is the first German response to the update, and that it's cryo.

edit: Aw man. cryo's salt is not very honorable, yet so very pitiful because it's all justified.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 28, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone link me the Roll20s for the french and germans? I can't seem to find them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wait... so you're planning to change the German win condition!?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's a valid point, but the Germans also played rather badly despite having more firepower. If they even once listened to cryo, they would be fine.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Look at xthetenth go.

What happens if he makes it to Faibleimpot?

He doesn't even know where he's going, he's just going.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So even if the French retake Q, they still have to take St. Croissant to avoid a partial victory for the Germans?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Not to mention that, even if Cassandra is actually cheating (if he is, which I don't believe for a moment, he's also an exceptional liar and rationaliser), cheating's no good at all if nobody else actually listens to the intelligence you've gained... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No point in stealing intel if no one does anything with it.

wedgekree posted:

Sooo, the French plan is to try and do a night attack into the town that is thier main objective and the German trenches where the Germans are setting up thier artillery and MG's to get a nice crossfire?

Well... it is dark...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So now that you have access to the German thread and Observer thread discussions, what is your impression of the forever ignored CrazyCryoDude? A lot of us here seem baffled that despite being correct over and over again, the rest of his team never listen to him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For my money, I think giving someone else time to shine would be better. I say we should mix things up with each game. New setups, new strategies.

Not that you shouldn't play at all, but maybe not the head honcho.

my dad posted:

Although before that, there's some anvils that I need to drop on Trin's foot with regards to this scenario, and his opinion may change after that. I'll wait for him to show up here before doing that, though.

Is it about the scenario layout orientation being obfuscated?

e: Here's a eulogy of sorts for the fallen French leader:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slim Jim Pickens, Interrim Corps Commander

Official Telegram Notice

Attention, noble officers and enlisted men, currently engaged in valiant defense of St. Croissant and surroundings. I am with heavy heart and great sorrow, for we have heard reports that our dearly beloved Generale mon pere, is currently missing in action, having bravely and gallantly saved Quatreprouts from vile boche depravity, and gone on to lead the first charge into Saint Croissant itself! Heave, French hearts, our general's love for patrie bid him selflessly advance upon war-fevered Hun, guns, rifles, and shells be damned!

Pray that he return to us, in spirit or in body, for France will not forget a hero of his calibre! In the interim, I will be taking over the role of emotional Corps Commander, so that we can all have somebody to blame if catastrophic failure finds us in the future.

Soit brave!

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 4, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since the Germans aren't going to move any time soon, the French just need to find a position from where they can just casually start lobbing bombs until either the Germans move or get splattered.

Edit: Cryodude has spoken:

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok, I've slept on it and think I can be a bit more civil now.

After doing some more thinking, I'm still of the opinion that sending Saros towards Haltebruit is the best thing to do. Up until last turn, what I would be doing in their shoes is getting everything lined up on a line from roughly Dejeuner to Clemenceau for a massed attack at the crack of dawn. Now that Mon Pere is dead and the Entente's ability to change orders is in all likelihood thoroughly shot to hell, they're probably going to be reduced to stumbling around on previous orders and unable to send the "go" signal - at least, not to everybody at once. So, the two things that could happen are either they trickle in piecemeal and get vaporized basically no matter which direction they come from, or they have to send every single unit an order saying "go at time X", which is probably a billion years in the future (or at least well after our timer runs out a single hour after sunrise) to make sure everybody's got enough time to roll well on the change of orders and get in position while accounting for the getting lost factor and the wrecked C&C that comes with a dead corps commander.

Given that, I think we can get away with sending Saros. The way things are now, we can fend off a series of piecemeal attacks easily, and if they want to mass everything for one big attack it would come after the game's over anyways. Making an end run around all their notional dudes on Dejeuner and into Q is admittedly a bit of a Hail Mary, but it's the end of the game and we can get away with a gamble that would turn a minor victory/stalemate into a proper one. Everyone else just sits where they are and finishes digging their trenches, popping off a few shots at any Frenchmen brave and/or stupid enough to follow their brave Mon Pere in.

This is literally the French plan, holy gently caress. Well, it was Slim Jim's plan, but it seems people are dissenting.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Seconding that non-playing staff officers who want to restrict themselves to one thread and give advice and opinions without having to command their own brigade are more than welcome.

You know what? I'm in. I don't have a stable enough schedule that I'm willing to command troops, but I do want to join a side and be part of the strategic talks. I'll sign up for the Entente as a non-command staff officer.

• Locked thread