Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
RESERVES!

let's go kaiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

it'll be my sad but necessary duty to fight against someone who had been my friend before the war broke out
brb, writing terrible poetry about this

nonono Serben muss sterben meine Freundin

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys!

First of all, many thanks to forums poster my dad for his gallantry, great play, and, most importantly, sportsmanship. Except for trying to attack me on my nationality.

YOU FUCKER.

(:v:)

I only have like half an hour before I am leaving to watch some ballet in honour of my our victory, but when I come back, I'll have time to write up a post mortem, and, in fact, I want to do it in a series of posts, since there's so much to tell!

Here's what I'm thinking of:

• Critique of the scenario
  • Turn-by-turn review
  • German Roll20 Best Of
  • Assessment of Commanders' Performance: A Can of Worms
  • For All The Mail Not Sent: What I Wanted to Send to the French, But Didn't

Let me know if there's anything you want to see first.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Loxbourne posted:

All of the above, but definitely a gallery of unsent messages.

Tias posted:

Tevery Best>> THE MAIL NOT SENT!!!

Here's a selection of stuff I can more or less remember:

quote:

This one somehow never came in handy.

quote:

I'm mounted on a pig! A hundred devils chase!
You - absorbed by selves - turn, now gaze, behold!
An apish hand my tankard holds, beer flowing on my face,
On hairy chest it drips off my chin and overflowing throat!

A red haired harlot sits, a toad covers her shame,
A hand so luscious slowly climbs towards my fly!
Under my pot-belly she starts a roaring flame,
So laughing, I hand her the coin she earned from I!

(...)

And out there,
is my dad,

Stretched, like Christ, on a harp...

SERVES HIM RIGHT!
May he learn - being a saint is hard!

This one I started, but never finished, it was a huge challenge to even get as far as I did. It was a part of my project of sending the French ever more demented messages only to see them try to link them to anything that actually happened in the game. Needless to say, I picked a wrong place to start and the plan never got underway.

I wanted to send them that once we take and hold Dej. Alas.

quote:

You awaken from your slumber to find yourself in a world you never imagined, but one you hoped you'd never see. Walking among the barren, lifeless piles of dust, passing by the dead and the dying, disappearing in the muddy craters and then appearing again, wet, dirty, staggering above the edge of the hole.

The monster sees you, and beckons. You flinch, terrified, as your spine seems to contract into three, but cannot budge. You feel the beast is... Impressed?

Respectful. Proud of your accomplishments. Proud of the reek of blood you broadcast. Joyous to see all the dead who are there at your call, your decision, your reckoning. It uplifts you, raising you from the fell earth you wander.

It draws you in, holding you close to its heart, like a dear brother, long thought lost.

You see yourself, lying down. You realise you have perished, a victim of the glory you so pursued, of atonement you so sought, of the pain that finally liberated you. It was many hours ago. You are now at the mercy of the monsters - and men, chief amongst them he who approaches you now, a small man, a meek man, a man who fears, his hands as bloody as yours, but only you seem to see it --

He leans over you, drawing in air, like a hunting dog, a vicious, rabid predator --

"Who would have thought. He really did smell of elderberries."

This one I had in my head in some form for most of the game, but the ending was really written by my dad himself.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
From what I can tell? Really drat bad. The lack of machine guns (which are an integral part of the game), the different granularity of artillery, prevalence of canister shot, significant difference in how infantry operated, and a much smaller-scale nature of the ACW would all contribute to the game just not feeling like an ACW game.

Which is weird, because I usually find you can extend rulesets made even for Napoleonic-era games (mutatis mutandis) all the way to World War I, but it only very rarely even sort of works the other way around.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey Trin, got any way to contact you if I don't have PMs?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

makersley.com/war , send me an email via the contact page, mourn for the lost time that means I'm still struggling to get any kind of update schedule together

Sent, let me know if it reaches you.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
poo poo, Trin, that's a lot of new rules. I'm really loving this new setup, it does give the scenario a feel that it's going to be entirely different from the last one.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin:

Tanganyika Campaign when

EDIT: I am honestly irrationally excited about this new scenario, it has a chance to be even more different than the 1914-1915 shift in Grey's game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey there, fellow observers. I dropped a bunch of nifty banners on the German thread, because they are my buds at heart. I intend to make some for the French thread as well, but the truth of the matter is I didn't really follow that one all that closely (har har) and hence can't exactly come up with unfunny jabs at specific commanders. Any suggestions?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I like how the Germans are actually planning to do the exact same thing we did the last game: push towards the closest major city at full tilt, and drat the flanks.

Although this time the flanking potential seems a lot smaller, so.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

The first things that pop into my head are:

my dad's suicide squad, lenoon's doomed reservists, xthetenth the Lunatic Brigadier on a Horse dunking on everyone, the Amazing Disappearing Howitzers, Hunt11 gets lost, Slim Jim Pickens puts the "Chief" in "Chief of Staff"

Who was responsible for the howitzers debacle, by the by?

EDIT: and can you elaborate on any of these, I am unaware of these particular war stories (aside from One Weird Trick xthetenth and "Turns out French thread morale broke even harder than ours" my dad).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 9, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I'm going through the entente thread looking for material and Hunt11 delivers

quote:

[Of course the Germans manage to escape from the east basically untouched whilst almost everything on our west flank gets mulched.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Not all of them yet :/ I need some good ideas and also to finally get around to it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Entente thread: MAPS! STUFF! CRAZY RAMBLINGS! ORDERS!

German thread: dejected waiting for Sandman to give a poo poo :geno:

shameful

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Green Intern posted:

Really enjoying the Entente's arrow-spaghetti on that map there. I hope the armored cars have a good showing.

Pffft, it's literal scrub-tier level as far as arrows-on-a-map-go

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly it's AMAZING that it took the Germans so long to formulate orders. They have two units on the field and literally only one possible course of action - if they don't take Steth, they can't do anything else.

The fun thing is the British are now looking at a dangerously real possibility of being literally wiped off the field (until the third brigade arrives in two turns).

Let's see what Team Central Powers does. The most pivotal action the British could take would be to realise they're facing two brigades and immediately withdraw due west - and that would not be fun to watch.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, could you tell us if the armoured cars actually are tougher than, say, a cavalry MG company? Because the Germans seem super angry at their existence and believe they have to be some sort of a super unit they can only kill with heavy weapons.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
hey Trin, look how bored I was

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Dice are still pro-Allied, I see. It's amazing how many little things there are that could create a butterfly effect and make this whole engagement go the other way (as it probably should have!), but time after time the dice say "actually, no."

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Wait, am I correct that the allies receive no further reinforcements until tomorrow? Because if so - and if the Germans grasp that the plane told them the southern fords are virtually unprotected, the British will be utterly hosed and the Effin' Zeroes could easily reach Blob before sundown.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm starting to think the next map should not have [Place][Forest of Place] on it, too unwieldy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, I find myself more and more astounded the BEF thought a Stethoscope offensive was a good idea. I mean, what happened was not the best-case scenario for them, but there are very few ways it could have gone better, and the loss of at least a significant part of all forces committed to that manoeuvre was certain unless the Germans literally started with a single brigade on the field (and many in the Allied thread believed that!). Now they're stuck in a forest with a remnant force too weak to stop the enemy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, it's hilarious to watch them suddenly panic that the Belgians are going to flip their poo poo any minute and just flood the area. Also the weird fetish for telling the Germans exactly where their cars are.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
From what I gather it's mostly Bacarruda having a panic attack and then denying it once it spread to the rest of his team.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

wedgekree posted:

Again thier logic based on that is fairly reasonable in contrast. They're being overly aggressive early on to try and counter the enemy or slow them down. Also in fiarness they didn't exactly have the idea we as the observers did that the Central Powers had early gaem superiority - intel wasn't very specific. So as far as they knew assumed, both sides were about equal so contesting early meant they could bleed the Central Powers longer term and stage a fighting withdraw, or if really lucky route them from the field.

Fixed that for you.

The Germans didn't have an "early game superiority" - both sides started out with two mobile brigades. Arguably, the AC brigade is more powerful than a cavalry brigade, even. The Allies had to realise they would reach Steth roughly at the same time as the Germans would (unlike the Germans, who had a far larger range of possible enemy deployment areas).

No, what happened was that the Allies cocked their advance towards Steth up and the only thing that saved it from being an unabashed disaster were some lucky dice rolls. If they wanted to contest the place - and no reason for them not to want to contest it, admittedly - they should have planned out an actual advance, rather than "yeah let's move into that area ASAP". If they had advanced from the same direction, rolled out into a battle line, then advanced under machine gun and artillery cover, they would have had far better results as the Germans would not have been able to defeat both their brigades individually while using the town for cover.

The Allied logic is bad and predicated on the notions of "surely the defender was given early numbers advantage, because spawnkilling Germans would have been interesting" and "we are invincible, so who cares about coordination".

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
IIRC yes, that's an empty trench, but at least the Germans get a scare.

EDIT: it would be hilarious if they set up shop in that trench, then the BEF infantry shows up first thing in the morning and tries to walk into it

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
"All right, chaps! The Rupert says the Engineers have dug in a very lovely trench overnight for us to rest at, with blackjack and hookers! Let's double-time to get our Company the best spots!"
"Sir, are those horses peeking above the parapet? Why would the hookers need horses?"
"The pony show, you muppet!"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Roll20 scoop: following his brigade's overnight ventures, mossyfisk is trying to convince his side to immediately throw it all off, retreat across the river, and attack into FdE

EDIT: entente thread update up and it's hilarious

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 21, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They actually discussed such a possibility, just never really gave it much attention, considering they had no troops to guard the area anyway.

The situation in BdB right now is a Prisoner's Dilemma with an added random element. Whoever moves will blunder into the other's line of sight, but then whoever doesn't move has to rely on initiative rolls to not get charged. It is glorious.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Well, it doesn't really change all that much from their perspective, does it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am getting progressively more annoyed by Bacarruda's insistent mislabelling of brigades as divisions.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

my dad posted:

I believe the team is currently panicking, as can be seen through the general sense of disorganization, lack of coordination, and emphasis on short term thinking in a non-desperate situation.

When I have the time, I'll write up a longer post explaining on why I see things this way, and what I think can be improved.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I have insider knowledge that Flesnolk in specific and everyone above Brigade in general is immensely frustrated by even the tiniest deviations from the Master Plan of the hour as well as terrified of what may happen next.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Now that I look at it, that was some very timely presence from the BEF infantry. If they had got there a turn or two later, that cav would have been deep in their artillery batteries.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
My Dad moving out of his trenches is the one little smile from Lady Luck the Germans get. If he didn't, oystertoadfish's brigade would have just walked past him single-file as he took potshots.

EDIT: also, at what distance are trenches actually spotted? It seems crazy to me the Germans can't see that trench.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 26, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
To be frank, not painting that trench on the German map was a huge oversight. I doubt they would have tried manoeuvring north if they had seen it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
On the one hand, the Germans seriously don't deserve this bullshit. They're putting in tons of work. Jaguars, oystertoadfish, or Saros are working their asses off, aphid is always there in the background, they never stop talking. They keep losing in exchanges in spite of that work, not because of it.

On the other, gently caress is that army doomed to always get the dregs to go with the best. Flesnolk was doing okay as Corps commander - I, for one, know just how much work it is to check the minutiae and make sure everything is sorted, and that it is not an easy job at all to herd all those cats - but mentally he broke to an absolutely disgraceful level.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Corbeau posted:

What's most amazing is that one absurdly lucky cavalry charge last game made everyone magically forget the half-dozen or more suicidal charges against entrenched positions from that exact same game.

What charges against entrenched positions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Lovely that LLSix is so keen on throwing his brigade away. Yep, will charge before disengaging. Just a little bit of charging a trench full of BEF just under the nose of another enemy brigade before totally disengaging, guys. Don't mind me, be right back.

• Locked thread