Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

wedgekree posted:

So, for the folks who have a far better handle on this game than I do, which team seems to be (admitteldy as super early as this is) in the better position for things at the moment, both with general plans, forces already on the board, and spirit as far as thing sgo and do they feel is better positioned for things to come?
Way too early to tell, but if the Germans actually erect that southern Bridge and use it en masse, the Allies are in for a super nasty surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Nuramor posted:

I think Saros can't see that reinforcement line at the sunken road. I know grey is the traditional color of the Central Powers, but I think it does kinds vanish against the border and the road.

? what do you mean by this?

Loel posted:

General directives: Reinforcements sweep the west, mop up any scouts the Boche have
Establish defenses along the M1-7 line / zone 4 / the central forests

Bonus objective: Find the main enemy body

What do they think the Germans are doing - playing Taschenbillard in Stethoscope?
The Main Body is attacking Foret de Effyaders, and the Entente is sending in a lonely Brigade to counter that.

Oh, and they are deploying their Arses Hortillery way away from the Action, where they will not be of any help. Called out on it, Loel just makes their arrow longer. Man, the Thing with Armored Cars was a blunder, okay, but this continues to be a string of bad decisions. Never Mind that the German plan with the Bridge was a stroke of Genius, all the Germans need to do now is just play okay to win against the Entente here. And it is def. not the Scenario to blame this time.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017
I don't want to get in a fight with you or anything, I just dont understand the French plan. Of course they know nothing about the Gemans, but just assuming that they will not attack seems kinda foolish?

The Entente have no information about the Germans, yet they send a single Brigade North. What is that supposed to accomplish? Either a) the Germans attack there - the Brigade is dead, because it is alone without support or b) the Germans do not attack - the Brigade is useless up there and helps noone.

What is the purpose of deploying the artillery where it can not help anyone?

Why not concentrate on the known German forces in BDB with Infantry and Artillery (instead of just assuming that those are only scouts), and using the Cars and the Cav in conjunction with the plane to find out where the boche is?

I know that many things can still go wrong for the Germans, but the Defense of Effya should not rely on that.

I am not saying this Scenario is unfun or whatever, I am just an Armchair General that does not understand the Ententes plan and thinks it is not very well thought out, that is all.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Trin Tragula posted:

If the Germans attack perfectly, with artillery support and a 3:1 advantage in men all arriving at the same time, sure, it's dead. How likely is that, though? There weren't many perfectly-planned attacks last round and they were all on a much smaller and simpler scale. They seem currently to be targeting a 12 noon attack with no more than two brigades.
I am not talking about the actual German attack there, but a hypothetical one - the one the Entente has to plan for. In their plans, there should be a Scenario for a massed Northern Attack. The way it is set up now, either the lonely northern brigade gets stuck in a quagmire (if roughly equal forces attack it) or it will suffer many losses.

quote:

If they don't, the defenders are in a big fat brigade that can take a lot of losses before they have to morale-check; it stands a reasonable chance of either driving the attack off or at least damaging it bad enough to affect the enemy's morale in the next round of orders. Even if it rolls terribly and disappears quick, it still at least spots the enemy and provides vital intelligence.
Intelligence the Armored Cars can also gather, and gather better. They are already in place.

quote:

Calculatus Eliminatus. If you want to find a certain something, you've got to find out where it's not. This is the fork the defenders are trapped in; to be sure of winning any given battle they need to concentrate their men, but to be sure of even knowing that there's a battle to be fought, they need to spread out. No good committing everything to the south and then finding out that you've been headfaked and the enemy's taken the Foret de Effyaders without a fight and is marching through Trois Freres towards the canal. The way they're playing it seems to me to be about the best they can do with a bad hand.
Again, of course, they need to find the boche. But the way it is now, they are spread too thin. if the Germans don also spread themselves out, whoever finds the Germans will be shot by them, and after that all the Englishmen that come after them - Piece by piece. If you have few forces, the answer is not to spread out.

Again, I would have concentrated the Arty and Infantry on the known Enemies, and the Cav and the Cars for scouting duty. Sure, Foret de Effya might be lost (if the Germans attack in the North), but one Brigade has not many Chances of holding them up either.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: This just in: Slim Jim Pickens has in Roll20 just become the first Entente commander to suggest that the Germans might have built a bridge in the night. :siren:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If we don't know where the enemy is, spreading out our forces into mutually unsupportable positions is a bad plan!

Send both infantry brigades into Bois de Blob. With a huge concentration of force, we can destroy the Boche cavalry and survive anything else they send.

I highly doubt the Germans are advancing on a broad front. Why probe with the cavalry at all, in a risky night-time maneuver, if you're just going burst in from elsewhere? They're going to be trying to support their successful ford.

If the boche have the numbers to advance North and South, then our own numbers won't be sufficient to stop them everywhere. The only answer is that to concentrate our forces. We still have the luxury of a fair amount of ground, and lots of uncertainty for the German side.

Give this man a medal - hes apparently the only one that understands why Loels Plan is bad.

wedgekree posted:

It's been a very fun read and watching of both threads so far! Which side is going to likely benefit more by the availability of artillery, if either?

This Adjucation, the French Guns probably will not be in range, while the Germans have guessed the French Positions quite well. However, after this Adjucation, the Germans will probably have enough Units in Sighjt and Range to be fired upon by the French Guns.

If the German Brigade that is going to hug south and enter that Valley sneakily can get to the Guns first however, the French will be in a very bad situation.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Terrifying Effigies posted:

1) I want to make sure nothing manages to slip away to the south of Bois de Blob.
2) In the event that things go south, I want mllaneza to have a clear route to enter the fray from the west rather than be stuck behind my chits.
3) Besides clearing the Germans from Bois de Blob, it is imperative that we occupy the trenches before any more Germans arrive at the ford. Therefore, the most direct route to the objective is necessary to get into position in the minimum amount of turns.
Okay, the Brits actually have a chance now.

Yeah, its going to be a nice blundering turn, with btwo rather solid plans that will go south soon...

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017
I guess those Cav Units on the Long Ride will just disappear into the Night. They have no Landmarks to navigate by, so they will very probably get lost. Since they are hugging the Map Border, maybe they will ride right off of it.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

This has probably been the best turn for the Germans in a while. That southern trench along the river is free again to take up again, so they don't need to give so much ground with their southern defensive line
Their Defense is safely out of arty range, however. So IF the english would attack, they'd do without arty support.

Also: The Germans managed to work out the British Positions pretty well, except fpor one "Phantom"-Brigade... which they decide to attack :bang:

Also, not giving counter-Arty Missions Priority is going to bite them, hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

FourCartridge posted:

Oh, this is back. Brings memories of my command getting gassed by my own side's artillery fire.

Could I have a spot in Team Germany again? If not I'm content to just watch the senseless slaughter from the sidelines.

Not until the current Battle ends, since you have read the Observer Thread, in which neither Germans nor Frenchies are allowed.

French Thread is here, German one here.

• Locked thread