Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've crossed the Pacific but not the Atlantic, and I can tell you you're a goddamned moron. You will hate it. You will really loving hate it.
If the weather gets up, you'll be tied to your bed - I'm going out on a limb and assuming that you're not really an experienced seafarer - and puking so hard you will straight up wish you were dead.
The food is poo poo.
The accomodation won't be great.
You will have nothing to loving do. For weeks on end.
The crew will mock the living gently caress out of you.
If you struggle with anxiety, I can absolutely promise you it will be far worse at sea when it hits you that you're in the middle of loving nowhere with no way out, no way off, nowhere to go, and nothing to do but sit in your head.
This is really not a good idea.

Have a chat to the guys in the maritime thread if you want:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393222

But I think you'll find anyone else there will tell you the same as what I have.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

extra stout posted:

I've already got a therapist and he's great but it hasn't been helpful, so the trip east would be a good way to break it off without offending the man anyway

Dude I ummm I don't really know how to say this but you really need to be talking to your therapist.
I'd suggest you tell him about what your plans are with regards to this. About why you're planning to do it.

That's ignoring the fact that you're worried about offending a professional who is paid to help you, if you're that conflict avoidant you won't do well on a ship if someone decides they don't like you and you cannot get away from them.
It'll be a little different because you're a passenger, but people will get away with anything you let them get away with, and on a ship, you're a long loving way from anyone who might otherwise help you.

If you want to do a geographical to get away from your problems, hell, give it a go, but I can't say enough that taking a plane is the far better option here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

extra stout posted:

I talked with a man once who almost sailed across the ocean once but was sunk by a storm about 70% near Ireland, and I would really appreciate such an end. I agree it actually sounds worse being trapped on a giant iron hell boat.

I did laugh at this, but for the record I just want to see the country my family left before the war and I am not doing a retarded fundraiser where I walk across America for 700 steps then use the money to buy a BMW and escape to Florida

Catch a plane dude :)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hey, man, why not do something like this?

http://archaeologicaltrs.com/product/vikings/

You'll be physically safe and comfortable, and instead of just showing up dirty and wild-eyed, you can actually learn about your heritage. And give money to archaeologists. And not die.

yeah do this

but to be honest i think this guy is more of a danger to himself than anything

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Notahippie posted:

Just to chime in, I don't work on ships but I work with seafarers and one of the most pressing issues for a lot of seafarers is that working aboard ships is miserable, lonely, and can mean being surrounded by assholes you can't escape. Like, on some vessels you have to lock your cabin or your shipmates steal from you. Getting onto a port is a huge process and security is very tight. I think that if you do this it's not going to feel like a romantic adventure - it's going to be a bunch of hassle and expense and then it's going to feel like being locked into a tiny apartment building with no internet and no cable tv that smells like oil and has a giant engine running constantly. Even if you don't get seasick, you will almost certainly be bored out of your mind for way longer than you will want to be. Plenty of seafarers are awesome, but you're not going to be part of the crew and you will almost certainly not get any kind of positive social engagement - professional seafarers often struggle with loneliness, and they have people they work with to talk to.

Basically even if you can do this it would probably suck for you a lot more than you think.

yeah this

also the theft part which sucks loving dick when it happens, but your stuff is gone and you'll never see it again

• Locked thread