Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

extra stout posted:

Something worth learning about the forums: People will reply with roughly the same sincerity that you put in and the tourism & travel forum is a better place for questions about crossing the ocean than bottom tier trolling even if I did post the initial thread at 6 am and only half coherent. Still I'm curious about a goon who's crossed the ocean on a big stinky ship. I did a search for the random mention of a Dane and the red cross but found nothing relevant.

I've crossed the Atlantic on cargo ships about a half dozen times. Got paid for it, too, which was pretty nice. Except... The first time was after I'd spent a year and a half in nautical college, full time. I wouldn't recommend it, it takes forever to get anywhere and all there is to do is watch DVDs and stare at the ocean. I took a forty percent pay cut to get a shore job so I wouldn't be so drat bored all the time.

The first google result for "Cargo ship passenger" was this - http://cargoshipvoyages.com/ - I know literally nothing about these people, I can't endorse them or anything, but poo poo looks expensive. Incidentally, it's in the price range I was expecting. Oh and the schedule won't be convenient for your, just a heads up. I assume they'll stick to their announced ports, being container ships, but yeah... One time we had some riders onboard, we dropped them off a ten hour drive from where we were supposed to drop them off at. Company found a different cargo that paid better; them's the break.

You'd probably want something like New York to Antwerp on a container ship.

You'll absolutely need a passport, you will need to answer questions from customs and immigrations on both end of the journey, and it is very likely that you will have your belonging searched. Heck I got fingerprinted, once - and that was in a western country. Your opening post shows a stark naivete, and I don't think you've done a lot of research at all - most cruise ships aren't Norwegians (They're owned by a company owned by a company owned by mostly American shareholders, and registered in developing countries with comfortable regulations) and the average cargo ship doesn't do 24 knots. More like 12, 15 on a good day. That's something like 20 MPH. There are fears of people taking them over, so I'd expect you wouldn't be allowed to take anything that could be construed as a weapon; not TSA strict but yeah.

Seriously, I would highly recommend talking to a therapist about your issues with flying. Planes are useful as heck, and if you want to travel oversea... They're your one reliable option. I've dealt with anxiety myself, still am dealing with it, and while making the first step is hard, it's absolutely worth it. EN has tons of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

extra stout posted:

Thanks for another quality reply, I don't know anything about long term seasickness and I do most of my fishing by shore but I've been on friend's speedboats and fishing boats a few times without any problem, sounds like the same thing about ten thousand times bigger and two weeks instead of two hours, alright maybe it sounds like I'd be better off sleeping most of it. If I continue to realize it might be lovely, or that I can't find a ship that does it in 8 or 9 days I'll admit I'm getting more open to just closing the thread eating five xanax before I get on a plane and just hoping I don't wake up to falling out of the sky.

It does not compare to a two hour ride in a speedboat in any way. One time I got seasick. It lasted for three days straight. Not "Oh I have a headache and no appetite", straight up laying in bed and hoping to die and dragging myself to the bathroom to puke whenever there was something to puke. Three days. I've never wanted to die so badly in my life.

Incidentally, I was also pretty sure I'd die because it was the worst storm of my career. Pretty sure if I'd been on one of the older ships I'd eventually sail on, I wouldn't be typing this post right now.

Talk to your therapist, change therapist if you need to, but by all mean get through your fear of flying. A ship at sea is not a good place to be if you have mental health issues.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

extra stout posted:

That sounds like it blew pretty hard, sorry about your misfortune. I have heard the bigger the ship the less you feel much, though I've only been on like ancient dining cruises in a local lake before the boat got so old they were forced to shut it down. I imagine the storm is the only really lovely variable that's hard to avoid.

The ship in my story was 700 feet long, weighed about 8,000 tons, and was carrying another 35,000 MT of cargo on top of that. We're not talking big by commercial ship standard, but we're not talking about a speedboat on a lake. My cabin was at the back, facing forward, and a good 20 feet above the deck which itself was a solid 30 feet above the water line. We'd do 12 knots on a good day, and the engine was something like 10,000 horsepower.

We'd hit waves that would bring the ship to a shuddering stop (Again, 43,000 MT being pushed by 10,000 BHP), and that wave would crash against my window. Which was this thick steel-framed plate of glass, held closed by two 1/2" bolts against a rubber gasket. The fucker still leaked.

Reminder, again, that this storm was only about 15% of our transatlantic trip (Baltic to the gulf of Mexico), yet it lasted about 6 times longer than a New York to Oslo flight would.

Take a plane.

• Locked thread