Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Why don't you do a repositioning cruise instead? They're cheap and also legal. I've heard of things like you're talking about but I think since 9/11 it's basically no longer a thing for regular travelers unless you go to a third world country or a very specific place.

Alternately, you can fly down to Cape Town and take the mail ship to St. Helena/Ascension or Tristan de Cunha, which should give you a similar experience.

http://rms-st-helena.com/schedules-fares/
http://www.tristandc.com/shipping.php

Alternately, you might look into going to Libya and getting on one of those rubber skiffs that goes from Tripoli to Malta. They're super expensive though, so maybe not what you're looking for. OTOH this sounds like one of those posts where the OP has no intention of ever actually following through with their hopes and dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So... repositioning cruise? You responded to everything in the thread except for that, which is the cheapest, most realistic, and simple option. There will be a ton in late fall and mid spring as boats go to/from Europe and the Caribbean. It'll feel just like a cargo ship since they won't do any port calls, and the boat will be mostly devoid of tourists and activities. It'll just be you, 100+ of the Filipino crew (they're always Filipino fyi in case you were hoping for Captain Haddock) and a handful of old people who just like being on boats on the open seas.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Xaris posted:

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought this endeavor sounded eerily like the insane cart goon.

Thanks, I didn't get why it was LOL-post-worthy until your post gave it context.

lol indeed

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also OP, if you don't have a Norwegian passport, you're limited to only spending 3 months in the entire Schengen zone, and crossing into a non-Schengen country then going back doesn't reset your timer. Also Norway is expensive as poo poo even if you're staying in hostels and eating out of grocery stores. In the event you actually make it over there, please don't do urban camping.

Edit: Also, what happened to the E/N subforum?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread