Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

where did you get this idea from? typically non-passenger ships don't just let people get on for fun. I don't think its quite like you imagine. usually to get a spot aboard you would have to have a merchant mariners license ( or certificate?) and he hired. Theres a ton of liability associated with letting random people aboard, and most companies flat out just wont do it.

I do believe some commercial ships have dedicated areas for passengers, though I've never heard of this in the USA. Only poorer regions of the world where this form of travel is their only option.

if you mean being a secret stowaway and hitching it across the pond I have heard a story of that happening before, so it is technically possible.

I guess i'm failing to grasp why you would want to be on a boat with nothing to do for a month+

are you trying to smuggle drugs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Weird Al Yankadick posted:

you know anti anxiety meds are very powerful and doctors prescribe them to people for flights all the time

This. If you go to your doctor and say what you just said here you'll be so high you'll forget your even on a plane.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams!

And $80/night x ~30 nights is a gently caress load of money to cross the Atlantic. Factor in food costs aboard boats and you might as well swim

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Okay, well if your deadset on it, of course there is a way. You should consider crewing on a small sailing vessel.

Go get ASA certified, basic is decent but intermediate is better if you hope to get hired on as crew.

Atlantic crossings typically follow the tradewinds, so during a specific time of the year many boats will be making the crossing US to EU. There's whole websites dedicated to crewing in these boats, I'm sure you could find them easily.

Depending on the boat size, you won't be able to bring tons of stuff, like a poo poo load of woodworking tools.

Getting ASA certified takes very little time. I'd say you'd be good to go in under a month.

Ps: lol at getting addicted by doing benzos once to overcome fear of flying. I'm not sure you understand what addiction even is.

• Locked thread