Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Just to chime in, I don't work on ships but I work with seafarers and one of the most pressing issues for a lot of seafarers is that working aboard ships is miserable, lonely, and can mean being surrounded by assholes you can't escape. Like, on some vessels you have to lock your cabin or your shipmates steal from you. Getting onto a port is a huge process and security is very tight. I think that if you do this it's not going to feel like a romantic adventure - it's going to be a bunch of hassle and expense and then it's going to feel like being locked into a tiny apartment building with no internet and no cable tv that smells like oil and has a giant engine running constantly. Even if you don't get seasick, you will almost certainly be bored out of your mind for way longer than you will want to be. Plenty of seafarers are awesome, but you're not going to be part of the crew and you will almost certainly not get any kind of positive social engagement - professional seafarers often struggle with loneliness, and they have people they work with to talk to.

Basically even if you can do this it would probably suck for you a lot more than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread