Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Cynthia and the Wolf hate each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Chicken limbo ending

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chadzok posted:

Some pretty serious handwaving, even by the lofty standards of this show, to have Farouk rock up without a timetraveller sidekick OR a magical bracelet. MY IMMERSION~

Psst...the time eaters busted him out of there.

I kinda wish we got a full season of Xavier. Maybe a spinoff would be cool since none of this seems tethered to the previous X-Men stuff.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Those music videos honestly look weird to me cause they're not the show (I never heard the song before)

night slime
May 14, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

good catch I doubt this is an oversight.

Actually, after Charles gets done with the theater show you see what appears to be Old Farouk flying at Gabrielle and David.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I agree that the stated motivation was weird...Future Syd did this in S2 and Farouk explained the weirdness of it where he talks about her killing herself, but she admittedly did it to save the world. So why make an entire season about the same exact concept, where a guy seemed to miss the point of something explained directly to him? It's just a weird thing to want to do...Stop living for a totally independently different person to get a chance and you never experience it?

I think the idea of Charles and Farouk pinpointing their "war" as being the genesis of everything was interesting. Was disappointing we just got the Xavier backstory tossed aside as "I don't know what happened because it wasn't me yet." We got that episode with Syd and the wolf that ended up just being pointless. Second childhood necessary to know to protect...a baby? Ok.

It's a nice series and I'll miss it cause it captured so much of what makes the X-Men interesting and there's nothing else nearly as interesting, especially the poignant dialogue, but it's like each subsequent season was a different, disconnected show with the same actors. I get that they were going for different themes, but it still makes it feel kind of odd and wandering in retrospect.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zachack posted:

The rebirth episode was to change Syd's goals from murdering David to saving David. Kerry was on board the "kill baby hilter" train and Syd stopped her.

I get that her goals changed, but everything that happened ended up being due to Farouk and Xavier's decisions, not her, so it kind of lessened the payoff to me.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Echo Video posted:

there was gonna be a reset coming after david killed clark and his husband, the show couldn't let that stay permanent after showing their kid so much, but I figured the'd let Syd & K/Cary stay alive in some alternate timeline or something. erasing syd's good childhood totally sucks without at least some display of her actually being glorious in the changed timeline.

I thought for sure given the nature of the show that Syd and David were going to end up stuck in some weird time closet for people that are discarded possibilities/actualities, observing the world like Switch and her dad. Would have been nice instead of just being erased.

night slime
May 14, 2014

DaveKap posted:

Though... I do wonder what becomes of Division 3.

This made me realize Foreknowledge Cake Charles is going to be able to kick the gently caress out of it in its gestational phase for being a mutant threat.

They should make a season 4 where Adult Syd and David are at the school for gifted youngsters in their 30s for some reason. Please god, also this Noah Hawley quote is funny, god the X-Men are going to suck after this:

quote:

“You know, we didn’t really,” Hawley said when asked if he had conversations with Marvel Entertainment about “Legion’s” ending. “Given my level of being occupied, I wasn’t really up for a lot of tangential conversations about things, and I’m not in the inner circle for the reinvention, or the Disney-fication, of what the X-Men is likely to be.”

night slime
May 14, 2014

ex post facho posted:

part of the reason for farouk's face turn (imo) is that every time he and david fought it turned into a stalemate. even accepting that David had the upper hand on Then-Farouk, it wasnt clear if he would have actually succeeded in "killing" him.

this was the point of oliver's riddle - 1+1=1

I think his turn wasn't that he gave up trying to win but saw what a crazy person David was acting like, and realized he was the same crazy rear end in a top hat to Xavier. I kinda wish it had been better stated and we could have gotten more Farouk development, more than 8 episodes definitely would have helped. I think you're meant to infer that the rear end in a top hat Farouk goes away somewhere around finding out from Future Syd that David kills him and the entire planet over a pointless grudge he started. I'm guessing the shift was intentionally obfuscated throughout so the detente was a surprise in the finale.

Only part I find weird is Farouk says he's 2,000 years old, but that somehow these last 32 years suddenly made the difference. Um...ok. Grow up punk

night slime fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 13, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I realized that after I posted that he probably lived a really shallow and immature life for that time, like drug-addicted David did.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The scene with David hitting Farouk with the morning star is funny as gently caress, especially the scream

night slime
May 14, 2014

rapeface posted:

Yeah, I think this would have been way better. Having two characters come in halfway through the last season, take up an entire boring episode for their intro, then play the driving force for resolving the conflict in the finale is pretty bad storytelling.

The theme of yearning for love being the cause for conflict is a good one. Farouk could make the overture and Syd's 2nd upbringing is what makes David willing to try. Makes the story neater though I'm not sure anything makes it jive with Season 1 Farouk. Might have to do a rewatch.

The show was kinda gimped by having X-Men movies come out concurrently, because of Professor X not beng able to show up. Think they relented this season cause Dark Phoenix was the last one.

A lot of the most interesting stuff was just relegated to offscreen. A season showing David destroy the world that ends with the orb thing, a season showing Farouk and Charles's original battle, they would have been nice.

night slime
May 14, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

They had that scene in S1

I mean like the fallout and adoption whatever else. It would be a nice juxtaposition with a world-ending season I think.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Medullah posted:

What did the Karys say to each other at the end there?

She called him brother

night slime
May 14, 2014

double nine posted:

rewatching the final episodes of season one and man these characters were a lot more sympathetic, and positive, something that's really sad to have disappeared later on.

That's true, I posted before that I felt like I was watching something different later on in seasons and I think it's because there's mostly plot happenings or random dialogue in S2, like Melanie's rants that sound like something Hawley wrote and wanted to shoehorn in. One of the few really good character scenes was Kerry and Cary talking at the diner.

night slime
May 14, 2014

IUG posted:

Kindof hosed up for Switch to say that everyone in that room mattered, and not say Kari/Carrie's name.

I thought it was cause they hadn't suffered and mostly were happy about their lives. They're not time traveling to fix their own poo poo, it was the others.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Corte posted:

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.

It is a kind of odd perspective Syd takes that David is going to end the world and needs to turn himself in, since by the end of the show it's shown that he is the one that gets rid of himself, far from ending the world. I guess the "us and them" Melanie comment shows her he's a victim too or something.

night slime
May 14, 2014
That's crazy he's in it. Legion and Castlevania were my two favorite shows from recent years. He deserves all the roles IMO

night slime
May 14, 2014
Mr Noodle's debut is Season 4 of Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zzulu posted:

With how the show progressed I never understood why he was trying so hard to frighten David either, when they later reveal that he is actually fond of David. When he's possessing Lenny he's not really acting like Farouk either. There was a very clear shift from season 1

There's not really thematic consistency between seasons I agree. The best way I can think of it is that he's not directly possessing or embodying Lenny, but Lenny is like a messenger/avatar doing his bidding. I.e., Lenny has a core personality that shines through (think the early scene where she taunts him in the Haller house) but it's distorted most of the time by being given orders to carry out. It seems like the scenes that are most "Farouk" are the Bolero sequence, the psychiatrist stuff, or the S1 finale fight.

My guess with the apparent tonal shift in the way he regards David, in light of the parenting themes prominent in S3, is that S1 he's like some sort of abusive dad trying to get him to do whatever he wants, since he knows or fears they're inevitably going to split soon. S2 they're both apart and struggling, and S3 they just want to fix things.