Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I noticed the guards at the swimming pool had domino symbols on them.

I know there's a mutant named Domino with bad luck powers, but is there any organisation in the comics with that theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

King Vidiot posted:

- What caused the time jump in David's memory, did someone tamper with his memory to try and erase any evidence of telekinesis?

I think the time skip was when he saw the closet open and became terrified.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

McSpanky posted:

The World's Angriest Boy In The World (god, I love that title) seems to be a defense mechanism, he pops up a lot whenever some hidden/blocked/painful memories get accessed and is directly associated with the identity of David's father, the most conspicuously blocked memory of all.

I have absolutely no idea what the significance is, but when Syd followed kid-David into his mind, they ran through his old home at one point and you saw his mother and father sitting at a table.

You could see his father's face as he sat next to his telescope.

So Syd could see his face, but David can't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's like David Lynch directed a superhero show at his prime.

With sets by Kubrick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MiddleOne posted:

I mean I like the show but I'm still waiting for there to be a plot.

The plot is the exploration of David's mind.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

McSpanky posted:

I hope this means we get a hilarious/horrifying episode down the line where people keep bodyswapping with Syd and causing havoc with each others' powers.

I wonder if that would be the best way to treat his illnesses. Put him somewhere he can wreck havoc for a while.

Syd seemed to survive being in his body without ending the world, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yellow Eyed Man is your general purpose malevolent presence which frightens you in your dreams simply by existing.

The World's Angriest Boy in The World is the one which hunts you from dream to dream and wants to hurt you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm absolutely into this show, but part of me is a bit disappointed they're only going with the one extra personality. I mean, he's bloody well called "legion" for a reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's been a trope ever since the Philadelphia Experiment movie that "something has gone terribly wrong" and "unnatural forces will gently caress your poo poo right up".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That reminds me of one small thing I really like - Division 3 don't actually use monitors for most of their stuff. It's black canvas stretched out on a frame with rope and an image is projected onto it.

Incredibly simple, but it looks so incredibly stylish and 'other'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even just gently caress with the lighting a bit. Shoot in a whole bunch of Dutch angles. Make it the surreal nightmare it's supposed to be.

Not a fat, dirty guy slowly walking towards you in a brightly lit room. Unless you're holding the last cupcake, that's not going to frighten anybody.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have to say, I've never in my life seen a better "literally rampaging through your memories" scene than the one we had with Lenny and her dance number.

Everything you've ever known and everything you think you are exists only for me to play with. Or break.

Also, great to see the return of guy hiding in foliage :thumbsup:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Because they thought he died a quarter of a century ago?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Iron Fist is a man so incredibly good at martial arts he was able to defeat a loving dragon in unarmed combat and then punch it in the heart.

Of course the show has nothing of this but does spend half its runtime on boardroom dealings where the title character isn't even present and which patently make no sense.

Also, the fight scenes were terrible for reasons illustrated above.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

What is this, 2005?

EDIT: Here's the Antarctica friendly version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bl9LlvWD5o

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 21, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This is a drat fine poster for the new season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Oasx posted:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that creepy horse person that was slowly moving around when Melanie was getting high, I think it was in at least one other scene too.

Wasn't that taken from that horribly pretentious art piece with a bunch of people on stage with horse heads and crutches and others who were crotch thrusting themselves across the stage with floppy poles wobbling about?

atrus50 posted:

i clapped when i saw the floor pattern in david's dream room i know what that is

Okay. Wanna share it with the rest of us, then?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Anyone here think about the shot where David is talking to the Robots, in the background it shows the topdown perspective of a spiral staircase. That shot doesn't make sense unless we are to assume there is a mirror behind David, or perhaps that his mental powers bend light?

Or it's a loving poster.

Dude are you :thejoke: here or are you throwing your hat into the 'dumbest post' ring?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
^^^Oh yeah, 100% that.

Rocksicles posted:

10/10 for the Banana Splits song.

That creeped me the hell out. I was just thinking of that song this morning after not giving it a thought for probably twenty years.

Then they started singing it in the show :stonk:

swickles posted:

I really dig the Kerry/Carrie reversal. Its a great way to explore that relationship. I am kind of disappointed in the direction they are taking Melanie, I hoped she would be stronger than this.

When David walked into her room at the end there, they made a point of showing the slime trail of the rogue idea.

I wonder if the Idea is a specific thing or, as the scene with RED=GREEN implied, it's a idea which somehow turns everything to its opposite.

If we follow from that, the Kerry/Carrie reversal suddenly makes perfect sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Chokes McGee posted:

God drat, the Farouk reveal owned. No fireworks, just a quiet "sup it's actually me this time" followed by one of the most sinister monologues I've ever put into my eyeballs.

Navid Negahban loving nailed that scene.

Classy, French and menacing is such a great combination.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Wafflecopper posted:

Isn't Farouk Moroccan? They do speak French there but also Arabic and Italian. He spoke a bunch of languages in that scene, not just French and English

That makes sense. My ancient high school level French made me assume everything I didn't understand was just advanced French. Even the bits that didn't really sound French at all :doh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

J33uk posted:

Want to hide a secret paramilitary institution in the middle of a large urban area? Easy, just put up a shitload of hands that point away from it.

I like that the moustache bots and the heavily armed children casually walk around outside where everyone can see them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
No show about serial killing cannibals had any right to be so gorgeous.

Certainly no other show I can think of even comes close to the sense of style and class Hannibal had.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slightly Absurd posted:

Desolé can be both "desert [desolation]" or "sorry. [Je suis desolé]"

I first heard "le desolé" as "Lake de Soleil" and was, "Oh, that's why all the water in the valley dried up and it turned into a desert".

:downs:

Jerusalem posted:

Not enough Aubrey Plaza though :mad:

I wish they'd find more use for the inquisitor guy.

He's such a great character and every time he gets an interrogation scene is just marvellous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

night slime posted:

I think (maybe its someone else) the philosopher David Chalmers says that even if we "live" in a simulation that our feelings and attachments are all still legitimate. They wouldn't suddenly become fake with the introduction of new information.

Cogito ergo sum, but with feels.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They literally showed us and told us what the choke did in the penultimate episode when the moustache bots carried it into position.

The show: "This tuning fork thing is called the choke and it nullifies powers"

Next week, goons: "Why were they so unclear in what the tuning fork thing does?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
[wall of text inbound]

I've been thinking about the dance scene in the very beginning of the series, the one in the asylum. Originally I just thought it was part of this show's general insanity and wrote it off as nothing more.

However, this season we've seen that dance-offs are a way to show psychic battle. Psychic control.

So what does that say about that very first dance?

The first dance was almost a dream sequence when David was half conscious in a pool of water while in the clutches of Division 3. We see him back at the asylum, Sydney standing next to him, them moving in sync with each other while everyone else in the background repeats their gestures. Just like we see in season 2 during the dance-off at the disco.

I now think that was David remembering his unconscious mind taking control of her, making her do what he wanted. Making her love him.

"Want to be my girlfriend?" "Yeah, sure."

In fact, around 13 minutes in, just after David asks her that, we actually see brief fade ins of that dance sequence from the end of the episode.

Consider how much of the show has been Sydney going "You're my man" and refusing to even think negatively about their relationship. I took at that as this being her first 'real' relationship with someone who could actually touch her (in the astral plane, at least) and her not having any frame of reference for how a healthy relationship should go.

In the final episode, we see one of David's other personalities saying how they "deserved love" over footage of the moment David and Sydney first met at the asylum. We also know that David hasn't hesitated to manipulate everyone around him as he's seen fit.

Maybe Sydney never really loved David. What if the entire time he was subconsciously controlling her to get what he wanted - the love he always felt he was owed. This behaviour was also why he didn't hesitate to edit her memories and rape her at the end of season 2. It wasn't anything new for him, he had been doing that since the very beginning.

And this could imply that, in the final two episodes, when Sydney was trapped in the bottom of the hole with Melanie/Shadow King, maybe instead of taking control of her, he was actually freeing her from David's control and for the first time in the entire series, she was free to make her own choices.

And her first choice was to be totally creeped out by David.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 3, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So, the final scene where the time traveller is represented by a toy robot, in front of all the other toy robots, means she's mind controlled, right?

Also, there was that musical number at the start, which usually mean mind control is going on.

EDIT: also, they had a 66.7% chance of success :D Yes, they did.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
David is not just a broken person, he's a bad person.

"I deserve to be loved"

This is all that is driving David at the moment.

The mind controlled hippy cult and his efforts to time travel - all about people loving him. He wants Sid to love him despite him raping her, but doesn't want to change himself or suffer for his crimes in any way.

As Sid pointed out to him, even if he goes back and undoes his crimes, he'll still be the same person who committed those crimes in the first place.

He wants it all, but doesn't want to earn anything and refuses to accept consequences.

David is broken and bad. Farouk is literally a monster. Division 3 are chess pieces.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
She's an artist and author for Marvel, I believe, so it's great advertising for them.

And they can probably get away with paying her less.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Chubby Henparty posted:

It was just one line but I hope they were implying that her string of perfect grades resulted from pure cheating.

That's what's I took away from it.

I mean, if you're an obedient daddy's princess, what else are you going to do with time travel?

However, it does remind me of one thing - who is making the time travel tapes for her?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

rapeface posted:

I'm pretty set on every dance number representing psychic activity.

I was a bit sceptical of the idea at the start, but the first episode of season 2, with the dance battle in the nightclub cemented it for me.

Even the final battle of wills at the end of the season was set to Blue Eyes.

The only time the show's ever used musical/dance numbers is when psychic fuckery is going on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

rapeface posted:

I'm not sure about just songs/music, but dancing for sure is psychic manipulation.

The difference is between the diegetic and non-diegetic music/songs.

If it's background music, then whatever.

But if we're seeing people singing the song, then there's fuckery about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Necrothatcher posted:

Haha, that episode ruled. I will never, ever get tired of a late title reveal.

I know what you mean. I love it when a show is brave enough to hold off the opening credits to not break up their storytelling.

But I don't think I've ever seen a show go from opening credits immediately into the closing credits :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

night slime posted:

since by the end of the show it's shown that he is the one that gets rid of himself, far from ending the world

But that's exactly what he does by changing time - he ends the world.