Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like some parts of this show, the look, the non-liner storytelling, crazy rear end Aubry Plaza headmate, heavy use of tracksuits, but at the same time I really do not like them having a known X-men character and just change the name. As was said, Syd was just Rogue, but not Rogue. What's the point?

I forgot this was on FX as I was watching it on the CityTV site and then they started swearing and I was "the hell? I thought this was network tv".

That Bollywood like dance number felt really french new wave cinema for some reason to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Agreed, random synchronized dance numbers aren't a Wes Anderson thing at all, this was some Bollywood stuff with a 70s French cinema filter.

gently caress I can't wait for the next episode because I really do want to see if it can keep up this level of crazy.

Yea that's why I thought of something from Later French New Wave films.

And Wes Anderson uses primarily static camera positions and pastel colours, nether of which are in the dance sequence.

While Syd is not a 1:1 Rogue, she does fit as a Rogue analog if your primary way of identifying Rogue is "can't touch people or she steals their powers", then she is going to remind you of her, and that is pretty much Rogue outside of the accent and hair. And Rogue does steal peoples minds, it's been shown that she clearly takes on parts of peoples personalities not to mention she literally was Carol Danvers for a while during Australia. I mean this was clearly her taking David's mind and switching bodies, but denying she isn't at least inspired by Rogue is like saying a mutant who has knives that comes out of his palms and doesn't feel pain isn't based on Wolverine.

Actually I made a joke when the first introduced Inhumans in Agents of Shield that they should make inhumans that were just the X-men but slightly tweeked "This is uh...Oni, who shoots laser out of his ears! And this is Duskwalker, he can teleport and is covered in purple feathers!" which is kinda like what Legion seems to be doing. It may not, I don't think they need to fill the show with recognizable characters, but I never like when they take a well known character, change a bit about them and use them in a story where the actual character would fit in fine. I'm worried its like the DC shows where the studio is all "we can't have a movie and tv version of a character, that would be confusing!" which is just silly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I binged through this last weekend, and wow, I cannot believe I waited so long to watch it after the first episode. I think I was a little wary that the show would be full of off brand mutants, and also constantly be loving with you by revealing that everything was just a fantasy, and now this is really...no wait that was a lie to!

I don't think a show that everything is 100% suspect all the time could be satisfying outside of visuals, as you could never really have character development or plot progression if the rug is being pulled out from under you constantly. Having the memories being the thing that were suspect and the grand delusion at the end was great, because you, the audience knew it was not real, but seeing the characters figure it out was great. The whole Ascetic was great, it was like a late 90s that was also the 60s. I was totally down with that.

The flashes of the Shadow King were great, and really loving creepy. Plaza going from simply David's headmate to being revealed to be the Shadow King was really cool and well done. It makes you wonder when thinking back, was there ever a Lenny?

I also understand a ton of peoples avatars now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mikeraskol posted:

Yes, good. Good.

Yours most of all.

Also theres a lot of naked butts in this show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Except action, Runaways action is, not good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's hard to recommend this show to people who know about X-men because I find a lot of people don't like comics Legion, and find it hard to believe a show about him would be interesting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, sadly, the majority of people I know know who legion is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only bad thing about this is that I binged the whole show over a few days last year, and so I could just go onto the next episode, but now I have to wait!

Anyways, still fantastic, even if you didn't know what was going on the characters and sets are enough to keep you engaged. More dancing. The Admirals choir say to me a bizzaro version of the Stepford Cuckoos, being more of a hive mind than normal. I'm not saying they're them, just the remind me of it, with creepy Gladyos voices.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, Carey totally said "Is isn't Shi'iar" when looking at the sphere? Space Bird jerks incoming!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dead comedy forums posted:

I thought it was just an easter egg reference tbqh, can't see Hawley working the Shi'ar into this type of narrative at least so suddenly

But then again, he put (spoilers for Fargo, season 2) motherfucking UFOs in a motel shootout so who knows?

I don't think we are ever going to find about that one, unless it is somehow related with ALIENS!?!? as per above

I kinda got worried that the thing that kills everyone is the Pheonix, but I doubt they're going to do that. Sublime or something on that level would be more realistic.

Though it could be a easter egg as you said.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The more I think about it, the more I think Sublime fits perfectly with Legions world. A sentient virus from the dawn of time is weird as hell, but not as weird as the show is.

In general, Legion has the feeling of Morrison's X-men.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bring back old gbs posted:

I'd assume something alive from the dawn of time would have a pretty vast intelligence and a giant collection of facts. Heck, that guy would make a good narrator.

Also, really handsome.

if they defeat the Shadow King this season, Cassandra Nova would be a great new villain who could step in. Its funny how Gifted is already using the Stepford Cuckoos because they would fit in real well here too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just googled Sublime and plz don't tell me you guys are excited to have sentient bacteria as the villain of this season.

He was also a drug that Quieten Quire and Magneto were mainlining.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If we get No Girl, we also need Glob Herman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

I looked up Glob Herman and at the very least he could wear a shirt and pants.

Not like he's got a paraffin dork flopping around.

Morrison's run is full of weird stuff that is just perfect for Legion. I'd be so down if they started pulling weird stuff from Excalibur too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

I think they could make it work.

Megyn's power is the kind of power they've shown, and Widget is just weird.

I was also thinking about the Alternative realities and such.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was great. Yea it didn't progress the story, but delve into Syd's past was fascinating.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The late title cards totally got me because when I watch Legion, I lose all track of time.

Also, Amber Midthunder is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Don't most mutant powers express at puberty because it's not at all a metaphor?

Not all. Like mutants who look weird as part of their mutations often have it from the start. It's Normally a puberty thing, but its not a hard and fast rule.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

swickles posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of kid mutants too, where the powers manifest before puberty but after birth.

Also, Legion is so out there, none of this matters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said in the season 1 thread that after I watched the first episode I was left "wait that was all in his head? That's dumb. Is every episode going to end with a reset and we never have any idea what is real and what is not? Any character or plot progression will be wiped away constantly because nothing is what it seems? This is more of an art project than a TV show, it could never be satisfying in the long run."

BUt then you watch episode 2 and bam, there is a reality, which makes the show much more satisfying.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So yea that's a totally naked Aubry Plaza on basic cable. Not complaining but I didn't realize FX could get away with that

And that was 100% not what I was expecting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

qbert posted:

FX shows bare rear end all the time. No big deal.

I am pretty sure I saw boobs. I had to think if this was FX or Stars or something like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

hard to take any pleasure in it after seeing what made it happen. that being said, there was indeed some side boob up in there.

Yea exactly. I was surprised how naked she was, but despite Aubry Plaza being insanely gorgeous, it could not be pleasurable to see because of how it got there. Clearly they were going for you to think that she was put in Faruk's old body, but nope!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to say secret organizations would be a pretty obvious source for stuff like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

Just going to leave this lesbian bait right here.

I'm still trying to figure out what they were doing together, was this promoting Avengers Infinity War?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

linus posted:

Ingrid Goes West. Indie flick they were in together a year or so ago. In a shock twist, Aubrey plays a crazy person!

Oh yes I forgot about that. She tries to insert herself into the life of a famous instagrammer or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am still seriously processing the last episode.

I found season 1 to be good binging, but this one has way more of an emotional weight to it that I don't think would make good binge watching. Season one was more about trippy mind stuff so you got to see lots of cool stuff and a bunch of other things that didn't really give you all the feels as they like to say.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually expected the Admiral to turn out to be Farouks body.

Though David being the one to destroy the world seems a little too cliche for this show. It feels weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreadwroth posted:

Someone asked a few pages ago, yes the Mi-Go monks are a Lovecraft reference.

I wonder if they put brains in jars.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

I really like Cary and Kerry.

I was really happy to find out Kerry is actually played by a First Nations actor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was pretty sure that was going to happen.

Also how'd I never notice Aubry Plaza has giant eyes before?

The car vanishing made me think of Repo Man.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JawnV6 posted:

When has "it was ALLL A DREEEEAM" not been the shittiest cheapest copout ending for any form of media? It's a sweeping retcon that yanks the substance out of anything prior to that point. Why would you want it? Why would you accept it?

Like... maybe I'm being too harsh, but is there any on-scren context that could potentially invalidate that ending? Y'all are talking like it's still "in play" when I can't fathom what could possibly invalidate it. David pinching himself?

That was my worry about the series after watching the first episode "oh every episode will be all crazy and weird but at the end it will be revealed to just be in David's head. Yea that won't wear out its welcome quickly". Thank god the writers are smarter than to do that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could watch Kerry beat up infinite monks for an entire episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really? I thought the fight scene was a disappointment. I thought the choreography was good but man I hate slow mo. (better than shaky cam, I will give them credit)

I can watch Amber Midthunder beat up people forever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not a fan of "The hero is really a villain! aaah! stories", but i'm okay with how it was done here. David being deluded that he is doing the right thing works with what we've seen.

It was a weird visual of Syd having psi sex with David and then switching over to Kerry jumping rope with almost exactly the same motions. I'm not sure about the choices there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how the show has been consistent with everyone getting high by using drugs that they vape from animal shaped vaporizers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barreft posted:

Yeah, I vape, I'd love a golden elephant bong thing or whatever the gently caress that is.

I like Lenny's portable crocodile one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am kinda hoping that season 3 introduces another threat, I don't see Lenny and David on the run constantly getting hosed up and the Section 3 people failing to catch them episode to episode to be that compelling outside of the weird imagery we'd see.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oasx posted:

I recently watched Flight of the Conchords for the first time, Jemaine Clement looks around 30 years younger on that show, I am surprised he is only 44.

Yea, it took me about half the movie to realize who he was in What We Do In The Shadows.