Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
oh mon dieu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

this was the least likely deployment scenario, case purple. our plans have hit some serious snags very quickly

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah after some sober (drunk) introspection the opinion of the command staff is changing from 'disaster' to 'opportunity'

I count 8 - 10 enemy brigades - depending on the strength of the forces currently occupying Saint Croissant and whether the Bicycle companies are attached to another brigade we cannot see.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

La Cote - Roncevaux

quote:

La Cote - Roncevaux

quote:

Roncevaux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Roncevaux_Pass

nominative determinism, my old arch-enemy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

this. this is the point that historians look at and go "here, the various generals began to get an inkling that something was fucky"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

my dad posted:

Predictions:

6th Division mostly just sits there and does nothing because of overcaution, primarily to be blamed on me. Causes a lot of panic among the German team because of what could have been, but is a huge wasted opportunity. The Germans will redeploy into combat stance in safety, unless they're specifically ordered to march into Croissant from the East, no matter what happens. Maybe they'll bayonet charge into our defensive formations, but I doubt it. Hilarious for the observer thread, no doubt, either way.

22nd Division shells the crap out of anyone trying to to enter Croissant from the East, but fails to capitalize on the West because of a deployment error and incomplete orders.

We are at serious risk of losing the game if the enemy objective is Quatreprouts because we've got nothing on Dejeneur ridge. The cavalry debacle may prove to be a saving grace since it may be possible to send them to secure it.

We are in an advantageous position to move in NE, :sever: their telegraph, and block their roads.

Some of this is me looking at the entire board and thinking what to do, but I can send the reserves to flank them as soon as I'm notified of the sighting to the North. I'll have to wait for notification to arrive from the cavalry runner in order to tell them what to do because *don't know* what's going on there until they do.

I am open to suggestions about what is to be done. Please take into account 8-10 turns of delay plus orders-related clusterfuck between input and output here.

I think (based on how some orders are interpreted) 6th is going to be in a really strong position to dictate german behavior. They can't ignore a division strength formation on their southern flank. the trick will be to make sure we don't overcompensate for our perfectly reasonable caution and charge onto german lines, especially with their superiority in machine guns. if 22nd is able to re-orient and bring their attacking brigades into a line between the boche and the SW corner that should ease your concern in that regard.

the boldest move would be to rush 6e cav to Faibleimpot along the W edge and win the game that way, but I don't like the associated risks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no-one expects bicycles

also the roll 20 is currently playing ambient ww1 noises

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

there's a lovely continuous series of reactions as people come online and realize exactly how hosed the cluster is

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cas Pourpe, An official French history of the battle of Saint Croissant posted:

Much has been made of the acrimonious staff college meetings between General Mon Pere and his subordinates Bacarette and Tebeka prior to the battle, with each preferring differing degrees of offensive action and lines of attack. While Mon Pere's insistence on putting forces on La Cote was clearly key to the position the 4th Corp found themselves in in the early hours of the battle, arguments still rage about the deployment of the cavalry brigade, or whether the 6th division should have been prepared to immediately pursue the forces they unexpectedly encountered.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

when I can I change my hq orders? that ridge is looking a little shaky to trust my drinks cabinet to it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

6th div standing orders by brigade:

52e posted:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

53e posted:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation if the enemy is in artillery range
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Hold position
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

54e posted:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

55e posted:

When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

119e posted:

Rifles:
Dig in, fire on any enemy target in range
Engineers:
Dig in, deploy barbed wire NE-SW along the infantry line. Free to restock when necessary.
75mms:
Fire on any enemy target on Pasteur ridge, or along the road line along the ridge. IF enemy is present in these positions, fire until enemy is no longer present. IF enemy is elsewhere, fire provisional on brigade HQ orders.
ALL: IF enemy targets are on Le Cote before we arrive, 75mm guns open fire, all ranks fix bayonets and charge.

120e posted:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

oh my god they have so much artillery

loving germans!

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 17, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

getting that glorious oblique flank entirely on accident

although I am slightly concerned about a missing brigade

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

current staff college status :allbuttons::confuoot::kingsley:

arguing about which brigades are in place on la cote and which have advanced

is that 52e or 53e?

where are the engineers?

where are the artillery?

where is my fainting couch?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General Tebeka's Journal posted:

The fog of war is less literal in these days of smokeless powder than it was in the time of Bonaparte, but no less real. At around mid-morning the an entire brigade had been somehow misplaced - thousands of Frenchman, fighting and dying for their mother-land, too busy to send reports. This caused no end of white hairs at my HQ, let me tell you!

(owing to a screenshot error, either the 52e or 53e has disappeared - they are apparently nw of Sacados Ligne in close combat with the germans)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 18, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

sullat posted:

It looks like my arty was re-positioning itself on turn 6, so I guess it wasn't able to fire turn 7. I am a little alarmed at all the Huns swarming my HQ, have my adjutant fetch me my sword! And a white handkerchief, just in case.

Yes, good idea. A white handkerchief is a fine way to clean blood off of a sword.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

quote:

The general is in his newly installed office in Baguende's small inn, yelling into a field telephone over the roar of gunfire coming from uncomfortably close to his north and west. "General Mon Pere, I must insist that you allow me to order the reserves forward from La Cote! The enemy lay themselves before me like a whore in a brothel, I would be a fool and a criminal to not take advantage! I...Yes sir. Yes, they will be ready to advance as soon as that...Thank you, sir!" He triumphantly slams down the receiver and turns to his staff (many of whom are hiding under the oak tables, as if that would protect them from artillery) and poses dramatically. "Tell Generals Packens and Lenoon to prepare...for action!" The staccato sound of machine-gun fire accentuates his words.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 18, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Orders are as follows:

119e posted:

• From your position at Baguende Village, advance West.
  • Support the regular brigades in their advance on Saint Croissant.
  • Destroy enemy formations using your discretion as to range and tactics.
  • Should your situation become untenable you may regroup at La Cote.
  • (Secondary) Detach the divisional engineer company and deploy it North-East to place roadblocks and/or barbed wire on the Nainville and Bouclecourt roads

120e posted:

• From your position on La Cote, advance North-West to Bouclecourt, staying to the East of Pasteur Ridge
  • Destroy enemy formations in or near Bouclecourt, then move South-West at best speed to support the offensive at Saint Croissant.
  • In as far as possible, make the destruction of enemy heavy artillery a tactical priority.
  • If the Saint Croissant assault is successful, support the advance towards Faibleimpot.
  • Should your situation become untenable you may regroup at La Cote.

6div HQ posted:

Entrench at Baguende Village

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 18, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

the strategic salt mines are being heavily taxed

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Trin was spoken to, the howitzers will be returned...soon.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

some tactical observations:

the german formations seem to be much more clustered - is this an error which will restrict their infantry fire? or are they operating on different rules to us?

while they do have heavier concentrations of MGs and heavy artillery, if this becomes a maneuver battle (which it well might) those guns will rapidly become a liability.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Loel posted:

Initial concept of their objectives

This would allow them to block our advance on our final objective, and/or let them try their objective again. The big thing is that they would have the high ground and we would have to advance under their guns. Call this Plan B.

in their position I'd be trying this, as well as moving my divisional HQ west ASAP. Like I said, their force composition rewards static fighting more than ours. If they seem to be ceding us the centre we need to keep on top of them to prevent them regrouping.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

those orders...so good... :swoon:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Actually protecting your commands integrity is important guys.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Not as individuals, but in aggregate.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

that could have been a worse disaster I guess

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

my dad posted:

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

General, my HQ is in position at Baguende, with good visibility and rapid communication access to my forces.

52e have taken heavy casualties assaulting Pasteur Ridge and are currently withdrawing South East in disarray, but may yet recover.

53e are still strong, but are under attack from their northern flank by at least one Boche infantry brigade which will prevent them from proceeding west.

54e has been shattered by casualties and the apparent loss of their commander General Hephasto leaves them with no chance to contribute further to the battle.

55e has suffered severe infantry losses but remains firm. Their artillery is in a good position to hammer the Boche if they are not overrun. They will be ordered to hold position.

119e and 120e are still in place on La Cote. They have received orders to advance but have not yet done so. Those orders could be countermanded with ease.

General, I have effectively lost deux and a half brigades, and I anticipate further heavy losses from 53e. The Boche have a substantial advantage in firepower which our superior maneuvering has partially mitigated to this point, but as they have occupied Saints Croissants we will have to blast them out. My brigades are in contact with at least trois enemy brigades, and currently have eyes on sixe. With the support of the reserve brigades I am confident we can hold our current positions, but we lack the manpower for a successful assault on Saint Croissants. To my knowledge 22div has taken fewer losses but they are facing the bulk of the fresh German forces

We can still win a victory with our current forces, but it will not be swift and it is not sure.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Runner to General Sullat, 55e:

Cease all advance. Secure your position. If in your discretion you are in danger of losing your artillery, withdraw towards La Cote.

Runner to General Sixkiller, 53e:

Cease all advance towards Saint Croissant. If necessary return East of Pasteur Ridge. Secure your position. If necessary, withdraw towards La Cote.

Runner to General Slam Jam Packens, 120e:

Advance as previously ordered. Support 53e. Maintain your force through defensive posture when engaging.

Runner (When Available) to General Lenoon, 119e:

Advance NW, but do NOT proceed beyond Pasteur Woods. Support 55e. Maintain your force through defensive posture when engaging.

Runner (When Available, When Brigade Rallied) to General Comrade Koba, 52e:

Withdraw your forces to La Cote ridge and secure that position.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 21, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The term 'gung ho' has not as yet entered the lexicon of the United States Marine Corps and thus the broader military community. As a result, I will have to beg my subordinates not to be too 'Baguette' for the duration of the battle.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

Leave the guns where they are.

Ugh, this incredibly expensive and aesthetically pleasing scented letter writing paper seems to have retained an impression of my earlier draft order. That might be confusing for General Lenoon. Let me just spell it out in solid ink:

Do Not leave your guns behind.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm tending to my portable military rose garden, I'll join you in un momente.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

looks out the window to see his division being blasted to shreds, accidentally clips the head off of a rose with the gardening scissors.

sheds a single tear

quote:

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Bacarrette/Tebeka, I need an update on your current situation.

sound of muffled weeping on field telephone

Ahem.

Sir, while the 55e continues to do good work they are in danger of being overrun. 52e has rallied, and will be directed to support 55e. 53e has suffered heavy losses and will be forced to withdraw. 119e...are gone, sir. 120e fights bravely, but cannot sustain further losses.

I am facing two fresh brigades and one damaged one to my northwest. They have not proceeded past the Baguette-Nainville Road.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

technically so did you

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah, i wanted it a baguende but the general said no

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

How certain are we of the German objective? It seems like with the BEF arriving in the SW corner, the reserves are very much free to sweep in as general mon Pere suggests.

nothing is certain, but their line of advance suggested it. also the bicycle brigade is heading that way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

if they survive contact with 6e, which seems unlikely.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Provisional Orders:

52e is to assume a defensive posture on the northern slopes of La Cote, maintaining sight lines and entrenching if possible

53e is to assume a defensive posture north-west of Baguende, maintaining sight lines and entrenching if possible

54e have done their duty for today.

55e is to hold position, protect their artillery and entrench if possible.

119e have done their duty for today.

120e should withdraw west beyond Nainville and protect their artillery

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Provisional Orders:

52e is to assume a defensive posture on the northern slopes of La Cote, maintaining sight lines and entrenching if possible

53e is to assume a defensive posture north-west of Baguende, maintaining sight lines and entrenching if possible

54e have done their duty for today.

55e is to hold position, protect their artillery and entrench if possible.

119e have done their duty for today.

120e should withdraw west beyond Nainville and protect their artillery

Priority:

1st - 53e

2nd - 120e

3rd - 52e

4th - 55e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

send

• Locked thread