Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I would like the record to show that Loel is on the Clemenceau highlands instead of wandering over to La Oeuf because I pointed out how quickly the enemy could reach St Croissant and the dangers of them entrenching there :colbert:

Bacarruda, in reply to my post posted:

Then we need a brigade with artillery on the hill covering things. As soon as the Boche open fire -- our overwatch will be able to hit anyone in the village.

(look I'm about to do a glorious bayonet charge into a completely empty forest, I need to grab whatever glory I can)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan, 96th Brigade

At this moment, Général Téhan is blissfully unaware of the desperate orders being motorbiked towards him. Should they reach him before he moves, as his current orders say he will, between Fraise-champs and St Croissant, he will deploy his men in such a way as to form a wall between the brigade to his east doing the same and the farm of Fraise-champs. For example:

As his machine gunner team is already doing laudable service in making Germans regret their life choices, it shall receive no orders beyond an encouraging pat on the back.

If/when the current clusterfuck of a melee in front of the brigade clears up and the second line no longer has Germans within range, the brigade will advance until all rifleman currently in a condition to obey orders are able to fire on Boche, either those guarding the southern edge of St Croissant or any that may have advanced between St Croissant and Bois de Baguette. Similarly, the machine gun team will advance forward should they run out of targets, rejoining formation displacing a unit in the second line which will move to the easternmost edge of the line. If there should come a time when there are no longer Germans visible who are both south of St Croissant and west of Bois de Baguette, the brigade will rearrange if necessary so that all riflemen and machine gun teams are within firing range of the town and await further orders.

However, should the orders only reach him after his men have advanced in such a way that the northernmost man in the brigade is further north than the northermost point of Bois de Baguette, the Général will declare 'gently caress it' and order an immediate bayonet charge. If the unlikely event that there are any men visible in Bois de Gooneville, he will charge them; otherwise, the charge shall be on St Croissant. From there, standing orders will be to pursue any German unwise enough to present their backs to the brigade; once the current engagement is over, advance towards and bayonet charge the next closest German brigade in sight; and to repeat until he receives orders to the contrary or experiences a glorious death in battle. There will be no orders to fall back in such a scenario, regardless of casualties taken.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So the 98th are the ones who lost their command brigade?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

96th Brigade's headquarters was killed while valiantly leading a charge near the Bois de Baguette

My only regret is that I have but one life to give for France :france:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Considering we appear to be outnumbered AND outgunned, we're doing fantastically well. Keep making the Boche bleed for every inch of French soil :france:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

my dad posted:

A little housekeeping, here are the end of turn screenshots for turns 9,11,12,13. 10 is missing for some reason.

I suggest opening them full in separate tabs and switching between them to get an idea of exactly what the German force did.

I don't think this looks like a flanking attempt on the western side, there's not enough forces for that. It looks like pretty solid confirmation that they've got an objective in the south-western side that they tried to sneak a force into, and it's important enough that they stripped them from the defence of St Croissant. If it weren't for our cavalry being on that hill, they would have been able to sneak into Quatreprouts unseen.

Between this and the incoming reinforcements, I believe it to be pretty important to at least scout Quatreprouts to make sure it is free of any other infiltrators.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I would be honoured to once more lead troops to a glorious death in battle.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan II, Réservistes de Artillerie

These orders have been superseded by ones further down in the thread, and are left here for archival purposes only.

These are my preliminary orders to be superseded at a later date with more detailed plans, only to be used if the entire command infrastructure drops off the face of the earth.

The brigade will enter from the northernmost portion of the western edge of the map possible. If it is possible for them to enter with their artillery unlimbered, they will do so; otherwise, they will pause where they are while they unlimber, to be carried into their battle position.

They will make their way to the following position and enter this formation:

From there, they will fire upon any enemy in range and await further orders. Any men not firing upon infantry will dig in.

Should the brigade come under fire from enemy artillery, and the artillery in the brigade be unable to return fire due to range, they will 'shuffle' forward the required amount to bring the enemy into range the infantry will 'shuffle' backwards until they are out of range of their attacker, forcing them to come within range of the brigade's batteries if they wish to continue their barrage (with thanks to Mssr. Slim Jim)

Should enemies be spotted approaching from the north in significant strength - ie, more than two companies - the brigade will fall back to the farm as so:

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

Tehan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 23, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

There are three Operations below. The first is the one that will be used; the second was originally proposed and struck down, and the third can be triggered under conditions given under the first Operation.

Operation Minimal Elan

The brigade will enter from the northernmost portion of the western edge of the map possible. The infantry will continue advancing while the guns unlimber, heading towards the position outlined below ahead of the guns. If, while advancing to that position, they come under fire from enemy artillery, Operation Minimal Elan will be immediately scrapped in favour of Operation No Elan Whatsoever. To be clear: this conditional can only be triggered while the brigade is moving into position, and not after it has already reached it.

Assuming the above conditional has not been triggered, the brigade will make their way to the following position and enter this slightly unconventional formation:

This will put the western half of Bois de Haute within firing range as well as having a heavy weight of fire upon the Brioche-Haltebruit road, while still being out of range of the known German guns.

From there, they will fire upon any enemy in range and await further orders. Any men not firing will dig in.

Conditional 1: Should the brigade come under fire from enemy artillery after already having deployed, and the artillery in the brigade be unable to return fire due to range, they will 'shuffle' forward the required amount to bring the enemy into range the infantry under fire will 'shuffle' backwards until they are out of range of their attacker, forcing them to come within range of the brigade's batteries if they wish to continue their barrage (with thanks to Mssr. Slim Jim). We do not expect this to occur, but it is preferable to have orders in place for this than to have the enemy be able to pick off our infantry with impunity because some drat German with a sextant and a map managed to sneak a gun into the exact worse position for us.

Conditional 2: Should enemies be spotted approaching from the north in significant strength - ie, more than two companies - and be heading in the direction of the brigade instead of the hilltop of La Sanglant Femme, the brigade will fall back to the farm as so:

Should this occur and the enemy be broken under the weight of glorious French cannonfire, or move east of Bois de Haute, the brigade will resume it's previous position east of the farm.

Conditional 3: Should, God forbid, all the artillery in the unit perish, the rest of the brigade will fall back to Haltebruit, dig in to the outskirts as per the map in Operation No Elan Whatsoever, and await further orders.

Now, those orders would fulfill all instructions given to me, save one: "If the chance presents itself, act offensively and engage the enemy with your artillery." Ergo, I give you:

Operation Maximal Elan

The brigade forms up as so, and then advances forward until the artillery are within range of that of the Boche. With three-to-one weight of fire and a screening force of infantry, it is expected we would win handily. We can then advance until the next unit of artillery is within range, and repeat. At that point, the enemy brigade will be unscreened by artillery, and my brigade can advance forward one final time, bringing the full weight of guns upon the enemy infantry and force them to either retreat or attempt a charge under heavy fire. In any case, their western flank would be utterly devastated. However, should enemy reserves or reinforcements be approaching from the northwest, this would leave my brigade vulnerable.

I hereby request that Général Bacarruda give his permission for this audacious plan, for although I believe this situation does fit within the realm of 'chance present[ing] itself', but it is an overreach of the orders given to me and does endanger the other objectives that Operation Minimal Elan would fulfill. Countermanded by Mon Pere.

Operation No Elan Whatsoever

If this Operation has come into play, it means the enemy already have artillery superiority in the area that this brigade wanted so badly to make their own; as such, there is no sense in sending our artillery in for the Germans to massacre at will. The unit, including any infantry that survived being the canary in the coal mine, will fall back to Haltebruit and deploy as such:

From there, they will fire upon any enemy that approaches, dig in, and await further orders.

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Well, that's pretty unambiguous. I've edited the orders accordingly; Maximal Elan lives on only as something I will read to myself and sigh wistfully.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
For posterity and any observers, I have edited my brigade's orders after consultation with Mon Pere.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

my dad posted:

Haha, I only just noticed that Tehan deployed only 6 infantry chits instead of 8. This should be fun :D

I could have sworn I read six infantry companies in Trin's post :smithicide:

Thankfully he deployed them in a natural extension of the ordered formation, and they safely reached a position to exude an aura of gently caress You.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

As the brigade is now effectively cut off, the new instructions to my men (assuming that I do become able to perform a change of orders) are quite simple:

Not one step back.

All three conditionals from the previous orders are countermanded. The standing order for breaking off automatically is changed to never.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
What's the timing here? Is there an approximate time I should be aiming for to begin assaulting the ridge, or should my men be marching as soon as I change the orders? Because I probably don't have a phone line through St Croissant and I'm definitely outside the 30" aura, the roll to succeed in the change of orders might be difficult, so it might be difficult to get the timing right for a coordinated assault.

It would take my men approximately an hour to get the guns into a position where they would be able to fire on the ridge, a little longer until they're in a formation where they could advance in force.

General Bacarruda, please select from the following options, keeping in mind the possible delay in changing orders and specifying the time to launch the assault if selecting scenario 2 and 3:

Scenario 1: I immediately march on the ridge and hope the timing all works out.
Scenario 2: My men get into artillery firing range of the ridge, and begin advancing at a certain time to synchronize with other brigades' assaults.
Scenario 3: My men stay where they are until a certain point, and then begin advancing on the ridge.
Scenario 4: I move only enough to provide artillery overwatch to the ridge, able to quickly move back to the trenches or march on Faibleimpot as the situation evolves.

Optional: The change of orders could be nightmarishly difficult, since every malus except the one about being in battle could apply. Please specify whether there is a time where my contribution to the assault on the ridge would come too late to be helpful, and if so, whether you would prefer my men stay where they are or march on Faibleimpot.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 27, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
:ohdear:

Having hopefully received my orders in writing to defend myself from the inevitable court-martial after this engagement, I shall order my brigade to leave their nice, safe trenches that they went to all that effort to dig, form up in the following formation, and once everyone's lined up they will advance towards Dejeuner Ridge, firing upon any enemy spotted on the way. If the artillery are halted by the need to fire, the rest of the brigade will continue on without them until they too are within range of whatever the guns are firing at. Once nothing in the brigade is firing, the guns will catch up to the rest of the formation and they will continue on.

If, by some miracle, they reach the top of La Oeuf, they will turn towards the next nearest Boche in the quadrant (defined as anywhere both west of Toilettes-champs and south of Brioche) and advance under the same battle orders. If there are no more enemies within the quadrant, then they will take up this position atop the hill and await further orders:

Should the brigade come under fire from as many or more artillery pieces than the brigade has, or should they lose a half of their number or more, they will break off and fall back to their trenches to await further orders.

Standing orders:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Desertion :argh:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
EMERGENCY ORDERS FOR WHAT I'M MOSTLY SURE ARE THE 52ND AND 53RD BRIGADES

The red arrow guys go along the red arrow and go into the formation pictured and if anyone gets within charge-and-stab range they charge and stab, then fall back into position if there's nobody left to charge and stab.

The blue arrow guys go along the blue arrow and just sit there and shoot at anyone that looks German.

Edit: It occurs to me that I should specify that the red arrow guys will only be ordered to charge and stab Germans.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 27, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
He's going to be a mythic figure after this. There's going to be songs about him.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

My men are peasants with rifles thrust into their untrained hands, and we are staring down a greater number of better-trained infantrymen and four of those damnable Boche machine gun teams. Sadly, it is not elan that will win the day for my brigade; it is careful thought and an overwhelming artillery barrage.

Phase One:

Using the previous movement methods (stopping whenever an enemy is within range to open fire on them), the brigade will move into this formation as best they can:

While they are doing so, I will be observing the movements of the Boche brigade opposite us with a great deal of nervousness. The orders from this point will depend entirely upon their movements.

Scenario :black101:: The enemy wheel to face my brigade

The men will continue to enter the formation ordered above and brace to receive a charge, hoping that the cannon will carry the day.

Scenario :downs:: The enemy are seemingly unaware of the mass of unwashed peasantry directly in front of them and continue to march on their earlier course towards Dejeuner Ridge.

The brigade will wheel backwards parallel to the enemy's marching route and engage in a shooting gallery as the Boche march inexplicably by.

Scenario :geno:: The enemy remain where they are, or merely shuffle their formation

The brigade will move in formation so that our frontmost infantry is out of range of enemy machine guns, but the artillery are in range of the enemy troops.

Scenario :byewhore:: The enemy retreat to Bois de Gooneville / St Croissant / elsewhere to their north or east:

The brigade will shrug and move on to phase two.

Whatever the scenario, once the enemy is wiped out or retreat in disarray, we will move on to phase two.

Phase Two:

With the Boche defeated, we will move onto Dejeuner Ridge and do our best to secure it and provide fire support to the region south of St Croissant.

Half of our infantry will form a picket to prevent enemies from sneaking up on us during the night, while the others will be a screening force for our guns. From there we will dig in, and fire on any Boche unwise enough to give us an opportunity to do so, and await further orders.

Conditional 1: :ohdear:
Should, at any point, an enemy brigade be spotted west of Brioche (unless it is the one we have been focusing on that has merely advanced westwards), the infantry will redeploy as best they can to stand between the enemy and our guns (leaving the required 2" to fire, of course) and hope for the best. In this scenario, the Boche have been reinforced, and we have no way to know the number, quality, or makeup of the brigades that did so, so it is impossible to make any detailed plan for it.

Standing orders:

Break off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan posted:

While they are doing so, I will be observing the movements of the Boche brigade opposite us with a great deal of nervousness. The orders from this point will depend entirely upon their movements.

Trin Tragula posted:

There are no living Germans in sight.

:suicide:

I hope they actually fell back, and weren't just concealed by the encroaching nightfall.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I left a gap in my formation for your brigade but you're nowhere to be found.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Now that my internet is restored and I've caught up with the thread, I'm available to take command of a brigade as needed.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

lenoon posted:

I'll move a gun up to counter battery

OPERATION MAXIMAL ELAN LIVES AGAIN

Perhaps Mon Pere's response to my attempt at implementing this could come in handy:

my dad posted:

You are explicitly forbidden from moving into range of known enemy artillery positions.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If nobody else had dibs, I'd be happy to take command of the division coming in :france:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division

(this is turning into one weird family tree)

Preliminary Division Orders:

Using the extremely scientific and fair system of 'top to bottom', xthetenth's 23rd and mydad's 24th brigades will enter the map from the easternmost possible point of the northern side. They will advance with all speed towards Foret de Effyaders, secure the forest from the vile Hun, and then take up defensive positions complimenting that of the 21st.

Keep in mind the possible scenarios:

1) That the Northern Plan is a complete success, and you arrive as the 21st is holding off the enemy super-brigade on the other side of the river.
2) That the Northern Plan is a partial success, and you arrive as the 21st is being charged by or already in combat with the enemy super-brigade.
3) That the Northern Plan is a failure, and you have no support from the 21st and you have to sweep the forest for said super-brigade.

In the case of the third scenario, your main priority will be to intercept the super-brigade before it is able to beeline our artillery.

Sullat's 25th brigade and professor_curly's artillery will also be arriving six turns into the next turn. If all went as planned, all you will have to do is make your way into position - Effyaders for the 25th, the Valee for the artillery - and await your next orders at dawn. However, if everything went to poo poo, your orders will be containment - take up firing positions ready to pound any Germans attempting to leave the western or south-western edges of Effyaders forest.

SUPERCEDED

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can we sacrifice the Foret de Effyaders without having to move the entire defensive line back a step, though?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm not really seeing any incompatibilities between these two plans. The Curly Plan could be fired and hopefully interdict the enemy super-brigade, and if that fails the Mon Pere Plan would be ready to contain the enemy breakthrough.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They make a surprisingly good argument for it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My understanding:

The defence of Effyaders is based on Mon Pere's plan of containment. One brigade of reinforcements comes in to blockade the western edge of the woods, while the existing brigade in the woods pulls back to blockade the southwestern edge, also preventing a possible beeline towards our artillery.

Meanwhile, the brigade outside Bois de Blob goes gently caress it and charges across the river to perform mayhem on the enemy, while the other brigade of reinforcements comes in to take up their former positions.

Later, marked in blue, the second phase of reinforcements comes in, setting up their artillery behind our new defensive perimeter and adding to it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Plan outline: J Trench brigade begins advancing immediately, crossing the river and following the road east and then north. The goal will be either to fall upon the rear of the German gunline, or crack open Stethoscope like a big kinder surprise. Previous plans involved waiting for the reinforcements so they could join the attack, but travel time makes this impossible.

Maps and phases, including timetables.
See above :v:

Phase 1, turn 1: J Trench advances. Effyaders infantry fall back to the southwestern edge of the forest to interdict any attempt for the enemy to beeline towards our artillery. Reinforcements arrive; one infantry brigade to the north to join the Effyaders cordon, one to the south to replace the J trench defenders.

Phase 2, turn ~8: Reinforcements have arrived both north and south and have taken up defensive positions. Second wave of reinforcements arrive; both appear on the north, one artillery and one infantry, the infantry joins the Effyaders cordon and the artillery takes up firing position behind it. At this point, the former J trench brigade will be about to launch an attack on their target of choice.

How are we stopping super brigade in the north?
Containment. One existing brigade, one reinforcement brigade in phase one, one in phase two.

How are we not getting blown up by arty in the south?
All of our infantry are moving, so nobody will be in trenches or previous known positions for at least eight turns.

How many units are we sending over the river?
One

What are their objectives?
To either assault the gun trenches from the rear or launch a decapitation strike on Stethoscope, dealer's choice.

Why is the all-in better then feint-officer?
I think feint officer should still be done to cut their lines of communication and make it seem like there's even more chaos going on - if someone catches a glimpse of him, they'll assume he's an edge of an entire brigade instead of one YOLO officer.

How are we going to get all the commands to change their orders in time?
Only the J trenchers are time sensitive - if it takes more than three turns for them to start moving, they won't make their target before dawn.

Do we need to ask for an extension?
No.

More importantly, can we get one?
No.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Right now, all their attackers on the southern half of the map got shredded, and their northern attack broke through. If they have reinforcements coming in, they're almost certainly going to be coming in to the north to try to pour through the hole they've broken in their defences, leaving their southern half undefended.

I believe a single brigade could slip through and, in the dark, launch a surprise attack on either their guns or Stethoscope. Taking out a gun regiment or taking Stethoscope would be more than worth the price of admission, especially if they've got division commanders operating out of it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): That they can effortlessly swivel 180 degrees and ventilate a charge to their rear coming out of the night hurts my soul

my dad (GM): Keep in mind
That charge lasts half an hour

Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): Justifying weird gamey quirks with other weird gamey quirks doesn't really soothe the pain
my dad (GM): yeah
I know

Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): Argh, it's just... their entire southern underbelly is exposed
And we've got a brigade on hand to walk right in
And there's nothing useful we can think of to do with this?

:(

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division

Using the extremely scientific and fair system of 'top to bottom', xthetenth's 23rd and mydad's 24th brigades will enter the map first, from the easternmost possible point of the northern side. You will advance with all speed towards Foret de Effyaders and take up defensive positions as per Mon Pere's plan:

The 23rd will take up the northernmost position, and the 24th the southernmost. You are to hold at all costs; should the 21st fail in their defence, there'll be a rogue super-batallion wandering around those forests, and I feel it very likely that the enemy will be pouring reinforcements of their own into our broken line that you are replacing.

The second wave of reinforcements will be made up of sullat's 25th and professor_curly's artillery.

25th: Enter from the south and make your way to Bois de Blob, and take up a defensive position of your choice within the forest; ensure that you will be able to fire upon a) any brigades that emerge from the southern edge of Foret de Effyaders and b) and attackers coming along the central road.

Artillery: Enter from the north and advance with all speed to a position west of Foret de Effyaders, behind the newly-formed defensive lines of the 23rd and 24th. Use your judgement to decide on targets for indirect fire, in case you have time left over after you arrive and set up before the next round of orders.

My own divisional chit will enter from the north and travel with the 23rd and 24th, and then take up position behind their defensive lines and entrench around here-ish (the X, not the dot :v:):

Tehan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Istvun posted:

If you are planning to have a brigade fill the bois de blob, they will be well outside of your command radius, which might not be that good a scenario.

A good and valid point! I'll edit a different position in.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
As usual, a single lunatic on a horse has more success than an entire brigade.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Trin, what's going on with my division command chit? Have I gotten terribly lost in the night? :ohdear:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I've discussed the potential uses of the artillery with ARF. Until dawn, it can direct fire only.

Southern Defence:

As per ARF's plan. I don't think units will be deploying south any time soon, since they got savaged in the south and broke through on the north. ARF is correct that the south is lightly defended right now, but a) I don't see how the enemy could know that, b) the ambush team would be able to see off any probing force, and c) the 25th could be easily redeployed to cover the south if needed.

Northern Defence:

The first scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy advances (as they seem to be currently doing) and manages to break through the 23rd, leaving my division's guns vulnerable. Considering there is up to a division strength already in Effyaders and possibly more reinforcements coming, this is possible no matter how bravely the 23rd fight. In this scenario, I would very much like the artillery on hand to pour in additional fire from the flank.

Also keep in mind with how badly our glorious rogue general has savaged the enemy's communications, it is possible that they will continue heading west even if they'd try to order otherwise now that they know we have a line of defence there.

Central Defence:

The second scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy manages to break off engagement with the 23rd and instead head south, towards where they sighted our artillery. This position would let that artillery assist in repulsing the attempted breakout.

Whatever the deployment, the guns can easily redeploy as dawn approaches to once more send indirect fire to wherever needed. Thoughts? Input? Orders one way or the other from on high?

E: Also being discussed: the former J-trench ambushers will be racking up a second fatigue point at dawn, so it'd probably be a good idea to rotate them out in favour of the 25th.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 1, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's three points of defence for those southern two crossings: The J trench, the ambush trench, and a theoretical new set of trenches that we could start digging now and be done with by dawn:

The J Trench is tried and true, but that means the enemy is going to be filling it with shells if they even think of pushing south again. The ambush trench is bold and shocking, but is vulnerable if it is spotted before it managed to pull the titular ambush. The new trench would cover both crossing points better than the J trench did and would be unexpected by the enemy, but would require digging and would be further away from the rest of the force than the J trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

lenoon posted:

ould let me direct fire on any potential move south or west, provided that there's some form of spotting

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't the direct fire range only 18", and it's only longer for indirect/supporting fire which takes ammo?

• Locked thread