Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

my dad posted:

Try running this scenario in your head: What happens if the enemy attacks you if you stay? What happens if the enemy attacks in the second location? What difference would the move make? If there is no significant difference, why move?

Put like that, I'm definitely supporting them remaining in the ambush position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division:

23rd: Remain where you are and see off any Boche attacks at all costs. If the enemy penetrates your lines, they will have unfettered access to our artillery.

24th: As above.

25th: Take up defensive positions as per previous orders and prepare to fire upon any enemies emerging from the southern edge of Effyaders.
See: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809299&pagenumber=53#post470947483

Artillery: Use your best judgement to fire at positions likely to hold enemy forces, prioritizing confirmed sightings inside Effyaders from the 23rd and 24th, especially laying down supporting fire should the skirmishes escalate into a battle. As the boss said, start cooking the cauldron.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 2, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

I was under the impression that artillery in the Vallee couldn't direct fire out of it. Either we want all our artillery able to direct fire into the forest, or we want them all out of possible line of sight in the Vallee.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I literally just woke up. Couldn't have scheduled that worse if I tried :v:

I'll hammer out some orders for the 25th to move forward to cover the southern fords in a few minutes.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
A few chits from your company can serve as a tripwire a lot cheaper than an entire brigade.

New orders: Your brigade will now be solely responsible for covering the majority of the crossing points for the river. Have fun with that.

The majority of your force is to move east towards the northeastern corner of Bois de Blob and deploy in a defensive line. The majority of your force should still be focused on the southern edge of Effyaders, but deploy men south so that enemies cannot cross the river unobserved. It is not expected that they would be able to repulse an attack, merely report on it. I've sketched out one possible formation below:

But feel free to use any that perform the same function. (ignore the blue circle)

I would recommend you avoid existing trenches that are known to the enemy where possible.

(another upside of this deployment is that you won't be blocked from LoS to Effyaders by the 7th div artillery deployment just above the northwest corner of Bois de Blob)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Coordinating with Mon Pere on roll20 to build a plan with hopefully minimal chances of going Charge of the Light Brigade with our artillery.

E: In the absence of new orders, the 25th continuing with their unfinished orders from last turn should be fine. We can work out a plan to relieve the ambush infantry at dawn. During the day it's 12" sightlines for spotting infantry and there's no hills within spotting range so they should still be safe where they are.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 2, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It should be safe (or should have been safe, I guess? :ohdear:)to leave them across the river until dawn, though. At which point we'll have a better idea of what's going on in the cauldron and what our defensive priorities will be.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
We can tell them told fire while re-positioning in their next lot of orders, then.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That was fairly uneventful. The only thought I have is that the 23rd and 24th should shuffle upwards to better cover the northern third of the western side of the forest.

And my div command chit is still MIA, if I'm lost I'm really lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Em5nitNX0&t=8s

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Do we want the 23rd and 24th to do anything beyond shuffling north to close the gaps caused by casualties?

E: Current thoughts for this turn:

Shuffle up the 23rd and 24th, Get 25th to split their forces so half their men are covering the southern fords, and move the 20th back to Bois de Blob, next to the 7th Div artillery. Theorycrafting is continuing for artillery but so far, 7thD artillery counterfires with those out of range adding fire to the cauldron, 8thD moves back into defensive trenches then focuses on support/fire in the cauldron.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 3, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I mean, I don't want to sound pushy or ungrateful or whatever to the GM giving us such a fun time, but this will be the third or fourth time I've asked (not even counting roll20), so

:siren: :siren: TRIN TRAGULA :siren: :siren:

PLEASE CLARIFY WHAT IS GOING IN WITH REGARD TO MY DIVISION COMMAND CHIT, OR AT LEAST POST A WINKY FACE OR SOMETHING TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOUR PROLONGED SILENCE ON THE MATTER IS DELIBERATE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Merci.

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division (also temporarily 7th Division)

Orders:

7th Division:

20th: You are withdrawing from the front lines. Ideally, it would be nice if you could spend the next 24 hours without firing a shot so you can lose a fatigue token, but that may not be possible. Withdraw and move to northwestern Bois de Blob and take up firing positions covering the southern edge of Foret de Effyaders; if those positions do come in range of the enemy, it means things are dire enough that you will not be able to have your desired naptimes.

20th: You are to march on La Dand! As you will be effectively cut off from further orders once you get going, I'll give you great leeway in the exact path you take, but our peanut gallery staff officers highly recommend you hug the southern border of the AO until Taillis Sud, then make a break for La Dand. I also would recommend great thought be given to conditional orders that will have you change route should you spot any enemies infantry brigades on the march in your planned route, but if fortune gives you the opportunity to fall upon limbered artillery, by God take it.

Artillery: Counterfire on enemy artillery we've spotted before they have a chance to move; support fire on any combat you can in the cauldron; direct fire on any enemies trying to leave the cauldron. In that order. Basically, as per existing orders.

8th Division:

23rd and 24th: Coordinate to close the gap that casualties have opened up in north-eastern Foret de Effyaders.

25th: Shuffle your men around so that around half of your men are covering the southern fords, in preparation for the 20th pulling back. It is your choice whether to use existing trenches or begin digging new ones; the J trench has it's downsides, but perfect is the enemy of good. Also, if possible, try to have your machine gun with 180 degree coverage from northeastern Bois de Blob.

Artillery: As per previous discussions, pull back to the trenches before continuing to make Foret de Effyaders a living hell for any Germans still alive in there.

Priority of Orders:
Artillery
24th
23rd
25th

Tehan fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 5, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
A question for the thread: would it not be possible to blow up the southernmost ford, since it's an artificial bridge, thus greatly simplifying our southern defence? Or has it been decided that our engineer time is needed elsewhere?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

The southernmost ford is not a bridge. The southernmost ford is a ford. There is a bridge just to the south of it.

My terminology is lacking :v: But that answers the question I had, thanks.

I agree with Mon Pere about the value of that position, but the fatigue levels are really troublesome. I'm working on alternative plans in roll20 now.

E: Unless Loel weighs in, I'm going to try to get in touch with ARF in a few hours, when he'll probably be awake.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 3, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They did shell them in the night.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I do like the elan, and the amount of panic and despondency it would create in the enemy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Loel posted:

Strongly considering sending out the La Dand commando brigade, unless anyone has major reservations about the idea.

Personally, I think this is the best time for it, we've already scouted the path, the boche are committed in the north, etc.

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division, Acting Commander of 7th Division

20th: You are to march on La Dand! As you will be effectively cut off from further orders once you get going, I'll give you great leeway in the exact path you take, but our peanut gallery staff officers highly recommend you hug the southern border of the AO until Taillis Sud, then make a break for La Dand. I also would recommend great thought be given to conditional orders that will have you change route should you spot any enemies infantry brigades on the march in your planned route, but if fortune gives you the opportunity to fall upon limbered artillery, by God take it.

May you cause much fuckery and headgames doubt and despondency in the enemy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That's a good set of orders, I approve.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Done.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think a better defensive line would be the northern and eastern edges of Bois de Blob. The J trench in particular savaged them, and giving it up for free doesn't make sense. If we've got men across the northern edge of Bois de Blob, then with support from our artillery I can't see anyone getting to it from Effyaders without bad things happening to them.

Even though we lost the 20th, I think the amount of effort it's going to force them to put in to reinforcing their front is going to make the loss worthwhile. Combined with our mad general's glorious shenanigans, they must be paranoid as all gently caress by now.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It was a gamble. The potential payoff was worth the risk.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Division

23rd, 24th: Hold.

25th: withdraw your men from the II-shaped trenches northeast of Bois de Blob and redeploy in such a way as to withstand an assault from the north, without sacrificing your coverage of the southern fords. Your call on whether to pull back from the J trench.

Artillery: Direct fire on anyone emerging from Foret de Effyaders or crossing the central bridge is your first priority. Assisting the brigades to your north and your east repulsing any assaults that come their way is your second. Beyond that, use your judgement to apply indirect fire for maximum effect.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's possible they thought that the 20th that wandered into their half of the map were the only forces we had in Bois de Blob, so were walking in on the assumption that we had abandoned it. They could have thought that all that would've stopped them was the artillery, hence the heavy suppressing fire on it. But... wait, they did shoot the poo poo out of the II-trenches. Maybe they thought that would be enough to suppress us? Or they only saw a single company at the limit of visibility range and assumed our entire brigade was packed into there?

Not to point fingers, but we almost did abandon that defensive position and would have missed out on the righteous mauling we just handed out.

Good call on pulling out of the II-trenches northeast of Bois de Blob.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can anyone think of a way to deal with those Germans north of the 23rd and 24th? Otherwise, I'm thinking of just telling everyone to sit down and wait to be charged.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Not really much we can do to plug it while it's full of Germans. The defender has the advantage here, no reason to give that up.

For the record:

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division

23rd, 24th, 25th: Hold position, feel free to move around a bit if you think there's a formation that'll better defend your current location.

Artillery: Use your judgement to decide where best to put your shells, but be prepared to drop everything and start direct fire if the Germans try to wriggle out of the forest along the northern edge of the map.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The only orphaned brigade is the artillery that was under the 7th. IMO that can be folded under ARF's new division command to keep things simple.

That said, if we do jam the new units into the existing holes in our line it means that both our divisions are going to be spread out across the entire vertical length of the map. But I can't really think of a way to reshuffle units around without inviting disaster. Maybe we can take another look once the new units arrive, though.

If we're reorganizing our org chart, it might be a good idea to fold all the artillery under the command of a new all-artillery division, formalizing the ad-hoc communications that already exist between our artillery brigades.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

There is a reason that Divisions have organic artillery units. Let's not go nuts re-inventing the square wheel.

That's a good point. Once we've got a second division's worth of troops, we can split the map between the two and have each unit supporting their own division's troops.

• Locked thread