Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'll take the 22nd Division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Here's where things stand.

Corpse Commander: my dad
Staff: Nine of Eight

119th (Reserve) Brigade ???
120th (Reserve) Brigade ???

6th Cavalry Brigade: xthetenth

6th Division HQ: thatbastardken
52nd Brigade: ???
53rd Brigade: sixkiller
54th Brigade: hephasto
55th Brigade: sullat

22nd Division HQ: Barracuda
96th: Tehan
97th: Hunt11
98th: AbortRetryFail
99th: Loel

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 9, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Updated list

Corpse Commander: my dad
Staff: Nine of Eight

119th (Reserve) Brigade ???
120th (Reserve) Brigade ???

6th Division HQ: thatbastardken
52nd Brigade: Comrade Koba
53rd Brigade: sixkiller
54th Brigade: hephasto
55th Brigade: sullat

22nd Division HQ: Barracuda
96th: Tehan
97th: Hunt11
98th: AbortRetryFail
99th: Loel

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

The Germans will likely beat us to the Tetons, we should plan for a division-sized assault with lots of artillery support.

We should seize the south-central highlands and put guns on any enemy troops headed into St Croissants.

I'd also like to send a brigade into the woods, hidden there and ready to assault St Croissants as part of any main effort we make.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarrette

Sir, I'm worried this plan spreads us out too much. We only have 11 brigades, two of them weak reserve units and one of them a small cavalry brigade.

Here is what your deployment plan looks like at a minimum -- that's a very, very wide spread of forces. Our troops our dispersed to assist each other and reserves will have a long way to go to get to any fight.

We need to concentrate our forces. For two reasons: 1) it is too difficult to communicate and coordinate dispersed troops, 2) units (especially our reservists) rout and break easily -- we need to have spare brigades ready to plug gaps.

If they choose, the Germans will get to Le Oeuf and the Dejeunner Ridge first. We will probably have to assault German troops or fight a meeting engagement on the hill. That's a job for two brigades, lead by division HQ - with a third in reserve brigade in case things go badly. This KEY ground and we have to commit forces to take it.

Rather than trying to race to Saint Croissant and get dragged into an uncertain meeting engagement, let's take a more deliberate approach. Our 75mm guns can fire 18" (about 720 pixels) and we have a lot of them - thirty 75mm guns, plus two 155mm howitzers with even more reach. Let's use them to deny the enemy access to Saint Croissant.

And rather than having our troops slap the enemy at many places. Let's have them punch the enemy with a major, planned attack at the right moment.

Here is my plan in four parts:

Phase 1:

Cavalry races to take Le Oeuf.
Blue Division gets top priority for the use of roads and follows them. Gets into position to support.
Red Division sets up on the Clemenceau Ridge and the Bois de Baguette. You can see its gun ranges with the red dashes.

Phase 2:

Cavalry fall back to a reserve position
Blue Division secures the Dejeunner Ridge and set up artillery to dominate Saint Croissant and the Bois de Gooneviile.
Red Division holds position, moves its fourth brigade into a forward reserve position.
Green Reserves move into position on the Clemenceau Ridge

Phase 3: ATTACK!

All artillery opens fire with a heavy barrage to cover our attack over open fields.
Blue Division attacks Saint Croissant and the Bois de Gooneville.
Red Division attacks Baguette and Saint Croissant.
Reserves follow behind the attack, ready to fill in gaps and support the attack as needed. One brigade remains on the Clemenceau Ridge.

Phase 4: Exploit

Blue Division takes Brioche and the Bois de Gooneville.
Red Division takes Saint Croissant and Baguette
Reserves move up to support forward positions.

At this point, both sides will have taken heavy losses. We will probably have destroyed 4-6 German brigades during our assaults and bombardments. With losses, the battle will probably be almost over.

If we do need to attack further, we'll be in a good position. We will have split the Germans in half and we ahev excellent positions to begin an assault on La Sanglant Femme.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

edited

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I think establishing a presence in St. Croissant does more to weaken a position on Le Oeuf than vice versa, but I do like the focus of that plan and the heavy concentration of artillery towards an objective.

On the other hand, holding Croissant without Oeuf means we pretty much have to hold Baguette and means we definitely need to hold Bois de Baguette lest we get cut off. It's no fun being the forlorn hope if nobody relieves you in time to have some survivors to bury under medals.

I agree about Baguette. Much of the plane hinges around holding the Baguette area. However - I'm very confident we can get there first, thanks to the road network.

thatbastardken posted:

Général de Division Tebeka

Failing to occupy and move forward from La Cote renders us highly vulnerable to German flanking maneuvers or cavalry attacks addressed at our reserves or headquarters.

By all means we should fight concentrated, but not at the cost of being enveloped.

Additionally you make no provision in your plan for the attack on Faibleimpot.

Le Cote is hard for the Germans to get to quickly because it isn't connected to the German's road network, so I'm not extremely concerned.

We can modify the plan, if you'd like. Send one reserve brigade, plus 2-3 75mm guns to take and hold Le Cote for the duration of the battle and lock down our flank.

As for Faibleimpot, I figured we'd see what the situation was like towards the end of the battle before we plotted our attack. We're going to be pretty beat-up from the fighting and we'll need to stay flexible.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

While we're debating Le Cote vs. Le Oeuf - let's look at which plan makes the best use of each one.

Here's my original plan, Plan SUD

We focus on taking the southern part of the map, then push north.

Pro: slow-moving artillery gets into support positions faster, artillery able to support attack for more of the battle
Con: more movement over open ground, effectively surrenders Le Oeuf, leaving
Key terrain: Baguette village, Baguette forest, Le Oeuf hill

Plan EST

We focus on taking the eastern ridges then make a westward advance to take our objectives.

Pro: early control of high ground, chance to cut off German forces on Le Oeuf by taking La Sanglant Femme late-game
Con: northern advance slowed by rough terrain
Key terrain: Le Cote ridge, Pasteur ridge, Clemenceau ridge.

At the moment, I actually think Plan EST is the best one. If we commit the cavalry to taking Pasteur Ridge, we could have lots of excellent high ground with great artillery coverage of the approaches to Saint Croissant.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

sullat posted:

Pretty much any plan of attack is going to have to deal with the Kraut artillery being set up along the Pasteur ridge. Assuming that one of their goals is to seize the vital boulangeries of St. Croissant, they will likely set up their fiendish Krupp steel guns along the ridge to support the attack. If our artillery can set up on La Cote before they can set up, it will allow us to have an advantage in the artillery duel, as well as supporting an attack up the hill to spike the guns. The downside, of course, is that it would limit our artillery to action on the eastern side of the map, since it takes forever for those lazy engineers to set up and take down their guns.

Why are we assuming the Germans will have a bigger deployment area than us?

Faiblempot is our objective -- it makes sense to me that the Germans will be coming at us from that direction. In which case, we'll be abel to get Pasteur first, if we chose to do so.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

sullat posted:

Yes, if the Germans deploy from the Faiblempot/Veine roads, then the easiest path of their advance would be down those roads towards Le Oeuf and St. Croissant via the Bois de Gooneville. However, they may also be advancing down from Bouelcort instead. Would it be possible to send one of these new-fangled aeroplanes out to see where the enemy is advancing from? I am not sure if the aeroplane has any significant role in the noble art of warfare, but I suppose if High command saw fit to attach one to our little army, we may as well humor them by attempting to use it.

We do have a spotter plane.

And if we're banking on the Germans coming in from the entire north, then Plan Est is way too risky. Plan Sud is a safer option,

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

Holding La Cote is non-negotiable, gentlemen. It is too valuable of a position on our flank, and holding it is too small of a price to pay for not having to worry about Boche going through my liquor cabinet. If, and only if, our scouting from its peak shows no enemy forces in the surrounding area, can the brigade there move forward.

The original plan includes 4 brigades attacking La Eouf and another 5 attacking Saint Croissants. How exactly does any of these other plans increase the force concentration there?

I understand about Le Cote, mon general. Shall we give the task to a reserve brigade and two 75mm guns?

My hesitation is that we could have half our forces attacking two different areas at the same time - with no ability to support or communicate with each other. What if the La Eouf attack needs help? The Saint Croissant troops can do nothing to help them.

I'm simply suggesting we alter the timetable of your plan. Focus on securing La Eouf, Clemenceau, Baguette and Le Cote first. Then, we make an attack with a 5-6 brigade front -- with an additional five brigades in reserve ready to move behind them in support. It doubles our overall attacking strength -- plus, it lets us give much more artillery fire in support of our attack.

From what Trin's just told us - taking casualties (and any attack on Saint Croissant will take heavy losses) is going to cause brigades to dissolve. We need following brigades to fill in the gaps and keep the attack going.

I am very concerned that a five brigade attack on Saint Croissant could get some bad rolls and lose 20-40% of its fighting strength, which would stall the attack and force us to retreat for no gain.

We both want to take Saint Croissant -- let's do it with a plan that gives us the most reserves and lets each division fully support each other.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 10, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Revised brigade ordering rules are up; basically, they can only make a Change of Orders when a Runner from a higher HQ gets to them, and I'm asking for a list of Auto-Response settings in your brigade orders so I can answer questions like "do you want to break off yet?" (which will be occurring multiple times a turn every turn once battle is properly joined) without interrupting the game; if I'm going to interrupt the game, I want it to be because someone has to make a strategically important decision.

Some questions. What if a unit gets cut off and can't receive runners? Can our spotter plane try to drop them a message? Can they attempt a breakout? Or are they just stuck?

Trin Tragula posted:

edit: here is a French default Battle Order, positioned on the map with my 4/8/12/16 range bullseye over the top

this design is not, repeat not, guaranteed to be at all effective at anything other than dying, but there it is for brigadiers who want a little help with their deployments - note that it does not include any corps or division assets.

Regular units can't fire over the heads of friendlies troops in base-to-base contact, right? Only MGs can do that, correct? Can they fire over the heads of friendlies if they're at a higher elevation

In general, artillery (75mm field guns and the 155mm howitzers) fire of the heads of friendlies? What if the artillery is in base-to-base contact with friendlies? What if the guns are at a higher elevation?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 11, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Tebeka, your 6th division is to assume the role of force Red. General Bacarrette, your 22nd division is to assume the role of force Blue.

You are to do the following:

Plan Chardonnay
22nd Division Organization
96th Brigade: Tehan - Role: Assault; Attachments: Cavalry
97th Brigade: Hunt11 - Role: Maneuver, Overwatch; Attachments: 5x 75mm Artillery, Engineers
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail - Role: Assault; Attachments:
99th Brigade: Loel - Role: Manuever, Flank Protection; Attachments: 4x 75mm Artillery
6th Cavalry Brigade(+): xthetenth - Role: Recon, Vanguard; Attachments: 1x Cavalry Company

Plan Pinot Noir
22nd Division Organization
96th Brigade: Tehan - Role: Assault; Attachments: Cavalry
97th Brigade: Hunt11 - Role: Maneuver, Overwatch; Attachments: 6x 75mm Artillery, Engineers
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail - Role: Assault; Attachments:
99th Brigade: Loel - Role: Manuever, Flank Protection; Attachments: 3x 75mm Artillery
6th Cavalry Brigade: xthetenth - Role: Recon, Vanguard; Attachments: N/A

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Roll20 name is Bacarruda.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Okay, so if we're assuming they come from the north..

Where will we be on the road approach when they are able to take the hills? Im concerned about getting hammered by hill artillery while we are on the roads.

If we assume they take the north hills, do we want to try an oblique flank?

We'll be able to move down roads in marching order faster than they will be able to get up on the hills. And if 6th Division can get guns in Baguette (and if we get the reservists some guns up on Le Cote), we will will be able to pepper Le Pasteur pretty well.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

Major problem with current deployment plans:

Our forces heading west towards La Ouef and to ready for assault on St Croissants will be arriving along the blue arrow at turn four. Case Yellow could have infantry having arrived at St Croissants on turn three and be ready to fire any artillery accompanying them on turn four; Case Blue would have them arriving on four and ready to fire on turn five. And as shown in the image above, the road west of Clemenceau is within the 18" range of artillery, including part of the road on the highlands - so our forces, visible due to being on top of the Clemenceau highlands, would be vulnerable to enemy artillery until they reach the lowlands and the enemy lose visibility on us.

To be safe, we would either need good and reliable scouting to be sure the enemy hasn't rushed St Croissants and a plan in place to divert us if they had, or we would have to route around the 18" range of artillery stationed in St Croissants.

Then we need a brigade with artillery on the hill covering things. As soon as the Boche open fire -- our overwatch will be able to hit anyone in the village.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

The big difference between the two Plans in the initial stages appears to be how aggressive Red Group is towards La Cote / Baguette.

Chardonnay

Pinot Noir

Like so.

So the question is, what is the latest turn we can make the decision point between the two plans? And, what do the cavalry need to be seeing for us to do one over the other?

There is no choosing. We can do one or we can do the other. But the slow speed of forces and the slowness of communications means we have to pick one.

At this point the consensus appears to be towards a modified Chardonnay plan.

22nd Division (Blue) will do this.

Our attached 6th Cavalry Brigade will rush to the Friase-champs farm and set up defensive positions.

99th Brigade(+) will take Clemenceau with infantry and artillery and set up over-watch positions.
98th Brigade will assault Saint Croissant.
96th Brigade will assault the Bois de Gooneville.
97th Brigade(+) will scout the Le Oeuf with its attach cavalry company and then take the high ground. It will emplace artillery to overwatch St. Croissant and entrench using its engineers.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Orders will be up soon. Sorry for the delay.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

SITUATION
German Forces have crossed the border into France. They are making for the vital crossroads of SAINT CROISSANT.

Enemy Forces:
Unknown. Expect a Corps-sized enemy formation (2 divisions + support assets), with up to a division of enemy reinforcements.

Friendly Forces:

22ND DIVISIONS’S Order of Battle will be as follows.
Division HQ: Bacarruda
96th Brigade: Tehan
97th Brigade(+): Hunt11 - Attachments: 7x 75mm Artillery (2 Divisional, 2 Corps), Cavalry
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail
99th Brigade(+): Loel - Attachments: 6x 75mm Artillery (4 Divisional, 2 Corps) 2x 155mm Howitzers (Corps), Engineers

MISSION
We are the left Flank of IV CORP’S advance on ST. CROISSANT and FAIBLEMPOT. Our missions are as follows:
1. Locate Enemy forces
2. Secure the CLEMENCEAU RIDGE
3. Secure LE OUEF
4. Secure SAINT CROISSANT
5. Secure BOIS DE GOONEVILLE
6. Secure LA SANGLANT FEMME
7. Secure FAIBLEMPOT
8. Destroy enemy forces

EXECUTION
Here are the basic tasks for each Brigade:

6th Cavalry Brigade: will observe SAINT CROISSANT and attempt to secure FRAIS-CHAMPS. If this is not feasible, they will provide fire support for 96th and 98th brigade’s assault.
99th Brigade(+) will take CLEMENCEAU with infantry and artillery and set up over-watch positions.
98th Brigade will assault SAINT CROISSANT.
96th Brigade will assault the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE.
97th Brigade(+) will scout the LE OEUF with its attach cavalry company and then take the high ground. It will emplace artillery to overwatch ST. CROISSANT and entrench using its engineers.

Before I give you more detailed instructions – here are some recommendations:

1. Post maps with all orders. Make sure the maps show where each individual unit will be deployed and have arrows that show the path of your units.

2. Have clear standing orders. Here is what I recommend
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/MG/artillery
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Assault units = pursue. Support/Overwatch Units = hold.
Break Off automatically when: ˝ to around 2/3 casualties are taken

3. Auto-send runners in these situations:
If you take ˝ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture and enemy runner

4. Use this (or something close to it) as your basic battle formation.

-----

Our operation will follow Ten Phases. Some phases will go into action automatically. All (or most) of others will commence only when I say so.

NOTE: I’ve included detailed notes about what battle order to use to cover our asses from the rules’ planning requirements --- this is not intended as a micromanagement. If you have a better idea about how to employ your Brigade and the rules permit it, by all means go ahead!

Phase 1 (T1): Deploy – DO AUTOMATICALLY

Deploy as marked.
6th CAV BRIGADE, 99thBRIGADEand 97th BRIGADE in MARCHING ORDER –moving along the road.
96th, 98th in BATTLE ORDER moving along the road.

Phase 2 (T3): MARCH – DO AUTOMATICALLY

DIV HQ – move to CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE. Make contact with IV CORPS HQ and 6th DIVISION HQ.
6th CAV BRIGADE move to the crossroads south of SAINT CROISSANT– if you take fire at this point, immediately fall back out of range and hold position.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE move to the North-Western flank of CLEMENCEAU ridge en route to your assault jump-off positions.
97th BRIGADE move down the CLEMENCEAU ROAD en route to LE OEUF.
99th BRIGADE move towards the NW corner of CLEMENCEAU ridge.

Phase 3 (T5): Prepare – DO AUTOMATICALLY

DIV HQ – stay in CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE
6th CAV BRIGADE move to the FRAISE-CHAMPS FARM in BATTLE ORDER. Get your troops and artillery deployed so they can fire down the BOISE DE GOONEVILLE ROAD and at SAINT CROISSANT if you take fire at this point, immediately fall back out of range and hold position at the marked position.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE get into a line abreast formation and prepare to assault SAINT CROISSANT.
97th BRIGADE.
99th BRIGADE deploy on the NW corner of CLEMENCEAU RIDGE. Make sure your artillery can fire on SAINT CROISSANT. Begin entrenching your guns on the ridge.

Phase 4 (~T7): Assault – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map is incorrect] stay in CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE
6th CAV BRIGADE support 96th and 98th Brigade’s assault with fire.
96th BRIGADE assault and take BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADE takes 1/3 casualties – swtich the focus of your attack to SAINT CROISSANT. Unless you take 50% casualties, do not break off the attack.
98th BRIGADE assault and take SAINT CROISSANT. Unless you take 50% casualties, do not break off the attack.
97th BRIGADE get into BATTLE ORDER and take LE OEUF. I suggest you use your cavalry to scout LE OEUF.
99th BRIGADE support 96th and 98th BRIGADE’S attack with artillery fire.

Phase 5 (~T9): Seize – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map incorrect] – leave in CLEMENCEAU village.
6th CAV BRIGADE if 98th BRIGADE’S assault is doing well and they have taken SAINT CROISSANT, make sure you are in FRAISE-CHAMPS farm and can bring weapons to bear on the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADE’S assault has stalled – focus on providing fire support for them.
96th BRIGADE if 98th BRIGADE’S assault is doing well and they have taken SAINT CROISSANT, then attack the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADES assault has failed or needs help, focus on attacking and taking SAINT CROISSANT.
98th BRIGADE assault and take SAINT CROISSANT.
97th BRIGADE get all your artillery on the DEJUENNER RIDGE and provide artillery support for the attacking brigades. Consider sending your cav to scout BRIOCHE.
99th BRIGADE if feasible, leave your artillery on the CLEMENCEAU RIDGE to provide fire support. Move your infantry forwards towards SAINT CROISSANT to support these assault there.

Phase 6 (~T11): Push – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ – move to SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE – move into the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If you hear heavy firing to your eastern flank – get on the eastern flank of the forest and train your artillery on PASTEUR RIDGE. If not, stay on the western side of the forest.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE –- move into the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE and get your weapons trained on LA SANGLANT FEMME.
97th BRIGADE – move up some men and guns to BRIOCHE and so they can scout and fire on BOIS DE HAUTE. Keep some forces on LE OUEF.
99th BRIGADE – move into SAINT CROISSANT. If you hear heavy firing on your eastern flank and there is enough space, deploy your men and guns into SAINT CROISSANT to fire on PASTEUR RIDGE.

Phase 7 (~13): Rally – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map incorrect] stay in SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE deploy in the BOIS DE GOONVILLE. If there is fighting to our east. If you hear heavy firing to your eastern flank – get on the eastern flank of the forest and train your artillery on PASTEUR RIDGE. If not, deploy on the western edge of the forest and be prepared to support 96th and 98th BRIGADE'S coming attack on LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- prepare to assault LA SANGLANTE FEMME. 98th BRIGADE, make room for 99th BRIGADE to deploy their guns at the northern edge of the forest.
97th BRIGADE secure BRIOCHE and get your men moving on the BOIS DE HAUTE. Make sure your guns can support your attack. If you come under fire, keep moving forwards.
99th BRIGADE get your guns deployed on the edge of the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE, ready to support 96th and 98th BRIGADE'S attack.

Phase 8 (~14): -- ONLY DO WHEN ORDERED (except for 97th BRIGADE -- for you, go unless ordered to stop).

DIV HQ -- stay in SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE get your guns and men into a position to support 96th and 98th BRIGADES' attack on the LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- When I give you the order -- assault LA SANGLANTE FEMME
97th BRIGADE assault BOIS DE HAUTE.
99th BRIGADE provide support by fire to 96th and 98th BRIGADE. Be prepared to send your infantry into the fight to support their attack.

Phase 9:

DIV HQ -- move to LA SANGLANTE FEMME
6th CAV BRIGADE -- secure LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- secure LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
97th BRIGADE -- secure BOIS DE HAUTE.
99th BRIGADE -- move up LA SANGLANTE FEMME and get your guns on the crest. Be prepared to fire towards PASTEUR RIDGE or towards FAILBLEMPOT

Phase 10:

ALL UNITS - get in battle line and move towards FAIBLEMPOT.

COMMAND AND COMMUNICATIONS
Please note where my division HQ will be during each phase of the operation – make sure your runners know where to find me at all times.

To avoid the enemy from getting too much information if they capture a runner, use these code words:

Unit Names
  • Napoleon – Division HQ
  • Grouchy – 96th Brigade
  • Soult – 98th Brigade
  • Ney -- 98th Brigade
  • Massena – 99th Brigade
  • Murat -- 6th Cavalry Brigade

Actions
  • Attack – Austerlitz
  • Defend – Leipzig
  • Move -- Borodino
  • Battle Order – Grenadier
  • Marching Order – Chasseur

Locations

• Clemenceau – Breakfast
  • St. Croissant – Lunch
  • Bois de Gooneville – Dinner
  • Frais-Champs – Stables
  • Le Oeuf – Le Teton
  • Dejeunner – Mademoiselle
  • Brioche – Cheese Factory
  • La Sanglante Femme – Matterhorn
  • Bois de Haute – Le Paul Bunyan
  • Veine – Hamlet
  • Faiblempot – Kitchen

QUESTIONS?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 14, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

Général de Brigade Téhan, 96th Brigade

Orders

Looks great! The conditionals look solid.

Vivre Le France!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

TO: GEN. MON PERE, IV CORPS HQ

I just noticed this. Isn't he supposed to be in Morocco right now?

Also, what a character he was.

Wikipedia posted:

Lyautey has been called "perhaps France's most distinguished – or infamous – homosexual." Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau – whom Lyautey despised, as he did most politicians – joked that Lyautey was "an admirable and courageous man who always had balls up to his rear end. It's just a shame that they are not always his."

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?
Overall, well. There's been some confusion about a few minor rules and which planed we'd settled on -- but that's all been cleared up. As a team, we've communicated well and have planned very effectively.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?
I think we're advancing very aggressively, which could go very well for us or very poorly. I think our plans account are solid enough. They account for most eventualities and they coordinate our forces well.

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?
I think we have a good chance to making a successful assault on Saint Croissant and the Bois de Gooneville, although I think it will be difficult for us to take Faimblempot from German control - given the terrain they control on Sanglante Femme and the long distance we have to go over beaten ground to get there.

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?
The assault on Saint Croissant by 22nd and 6th Division. We're committing 4-5 brigades to that assault,. If it's defeated - our army will be gutted. If it succeeds, the momentum of battle will turn to us and we could badly-damage the enemy's morale and strength.

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
We secure Saint Croissant, the Bois de Gooneville, and La Sanglante Femme. The battle's over at that point due to losses and time limits.

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
Our assault on the center is executed in a piecemeal fashion - we get cut down by German fire from the village and the woods.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

That's a full-size image for y'all to chew over while I get some sleep. To be continued! edit: just noticed that a bunch of stuff is turned off, I'll fix it, LATER

PS: Division headquarters arrived without mishap and are now connected by telephone to Corps HQ. Neither is eligible to send any runners yet.

I assume the 75mm and 155mm guns in 97th and 99th Brigades, the Engineers in 99th, and the Cav in 97th are one of the things that got switched off?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

I place a telephone call.

"General Mon Pere, everything continues as planned. I hear machine gun and rifle fire from Le Croissant. Probably the Boche engaging 6th CAVALRY BRIGADE. Unlikely that they will be able to take FRAISE-CHAMPS FARM as hoped. Cavalry likely falling back. Will give you updated information when their runners arrive.

22nd DIVISION infantry brigades are continuing their attack operations as planned.

Am considering sending 97th BRIGADE'S cavalry squadron to scout FAIBLEMPOT. Also would like 97th BRIGADE to rush to DEJUENNER RIDGE and set up its artillery faster than planed since it appears undefended. Your thoughts, sir?

If you agree to these changes and give me orders to make the alterations - I will send runners to my brigade commanders to carry them out."

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 17, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So this was my intended set up.

Post a new set of orders in the thread -- Trin should let you change formation at this point.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Standing Orders for 22nd Division
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

97th Brigade: Hunt11
Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has support.: Fire at anything approaching the artillery then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has no support. Move forwards to finish of artillery before retreating back to the unit.
Cavalry sightin an enemy on Attack stance: Fall back to the Brigade and support further operations
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken.

When attacking the enemy: Use bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

99th Brigade: Loel
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle / MG / artillery fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Fire from dug in positions, artillery fire support
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

6th Cavalry Brigade(+): xthetenth
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Hold position
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken Should I raise the threshold to 2/3rds so I can regroup as I choose?

Auto-send runners in these situations:
If you take ˝ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture an enemy runner
(can/should I send them if I spot enemies in one of the positions that would confirm their start location?)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Did Clemenceau lose our 155mm cannons? I dont see them :ohdear:

edit: Dunno if it it explicitly needs to be said, but Fire, for the love of God, fire!

You're missing the 15mm howitzers and the two corps 75mm guns attached. You forgot to give them orders in your initial orders and I didn't catch the mistake.

Talk to Trin and get that poo poo sorted out ASAP. If he'll let you, tell him where you want to those guns placed. We need that firepower.

And get your engineers to start digging in your guns.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin - I will leave the exact routes , etc. for runners up to you. I know I only have two runners -- if possible have runners carry two messages (i.e. the same runner carrying messages to the 97th and 99th, and the same runner carrying messages to the 96th and the 6th)

Division HQ: Bacarruda
HOLD POSITION

Primary runner priority. Send them the message. "STOP WHERE YOU ARE. GET INTO BATTLE LINE. PREPARE TO REPULSE GERMAN ATTACK AND FIRE ON SAINT CROISSANT."

97th Brigade(+): Hunt11
Tertiary runner priority. Send them the message. "DEPLOY ARTILLERY IN AVAILABLE SPACE ON CLEMENCEAU RIDGE. FIRE ON THE BOCHE MACHINE GUNS IN SAINT CROISSANT. PUT ALL YOU INFANTRY SOUTH OF THE DEJEUNNER RIDGE ON THE REVERSE SLOPE TO AMBUSH GERMANS COMING OVER THE RIDGE. ENSURE ARTILLERY HAS CONDITIONAL ORDERS TO FIRE WEST IF NEEDED."

No runners sent.

99th Brigade(+): Loel
Secondary runner priority. I send a runner with the message: "HOLD POSITION. DO NOT ADVANCE. HOLD CLEMENCEAU RIDGE AT ALL COSTS."

Quarternary runner priority. Send message. "SUPPORT 96TH AND 98TH ATTACK. AFTER THREE TURNS -- FALL BACK AND PUT GUNS ON DEJUENNER TO COVER OUR LEFT FLANK."

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Map for illustrative purposes. Brigade to stay in place.

Lucky 99th

Artillery when firing: Fire at all targets in range
Infantry/MG: Fire at all targets in range
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: Stand to the last man

75mms in base to base contact with infantry cannot fire over their heads -- they need to have at least 2" of separation to fire over the head of friendlies (or be on a higher elevation)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel, there is an issue with your artillery orders. Check the last page.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

wrong thread.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin my orders are finalized. Run the turn whenever.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

*phone rings*

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

Lost contact with 96th Brigade. Believe brigadier has been killed and brigade dissolved.

98th Brigade continues attack on Saint Croissant.

97th Brigade heading for Dejeunner to take up a reverse slope defence. Guns remaining on Clemenceau to provide fire support.

99th Brigade is holding fast. The 155mm and the 75mm that went missing haven't turned up yet. We can hear artillery tractors coming down the road from the east - so they may arrive in the next hour.

6th Cavalry is falling back to the Leo Oeuf.

Germans have a brigade just south of the Bois de Gooneville advancing south. One more brigade plus a small cavalry brigade in Saint Croissant. I see three more German brigadese. One on the Ferme Confit, one in the Ferme de Beuerre, and one on the Pasteur Ridge's northern road.

Each brigade has 12 infantry, 4 MG, and a brigade HQ. There are 4 howitzers in the Ferme de Confit and 4 more on the extreme north-west edge of the Pasteur Ridge. Their bicycle troops appear to have gone to ground and are digging in on La Sanglante Femme.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

With Hunt's brigade ordered off to Dejeuner ridge, 22nd div at Clemenceau is left with like, 1.5 infantry brigades and 3 soon-to-be-routed brigades against 4-5 healthy German ones.

Why are we compromising our defensive line for the off-chance that the Germans gain instant victory for seizing an objective? Surely, if we can't hold Clemenceau ridge, we won't be able to hold Dejeuner.

Why did we rush to send the infantry all the way to South Dejeuner, without using the attached cavalry company to scout the ridge to see if we even need them there?

Speaking of, Trin, where is the 97th's attached cavalry company?

He's under standing orders from me to use the cav for scouting.

And General Mon Pere regarded it as enough of a risk to justify it. In an emergency, we can send a runner to get them into position to help 99th Brigade.

If we need more men, now it the time to call for reinforcements.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Bacarette, your position has been understood. Since I have been informed that there was a miscommunication about our scouting abilities, you are allowed to stop your brigade marching West and redeploy it as long as it's given provisional orders to rapidly move West if the scout spots enemy activity W-SW of Bois de Gooneville. You are authorized to adjust the position and standing orders of your other units to account for the failure of the infantry assault on St. Croissant.

Affirmatif. Orders edited.

Hunt11, revise your orders, please.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

97th Brigade(+): Hunt11
Send them a runner with the message.

CORPS HQ ORDERS CHANGE OF PLANS.

SEND CAV TO SCOUT LE OEUF. REPORT IMMEDIATELY IF GERMANS APPROACH THE DEJEUNNER RIDGE FROM THE NORTH.

HOLD OUR CENTER WITH YOUR INFANTRY. GET INFANTRY IN BATTLELINE AT CROSSROADS SOUTH OF SAINT CROISSANT. STAY OUT OF THE RANGE OF THEIR MACHINE GUNS IN ST CROISSANT. REPEL ANY GERMAN ATTACK SOUTH FROM SAINT CROISSANT OR GOONEVILLE.

KEEP ARTILLERY DEPLOYED AND FIRING FROM CLEMENCEAU RIDGE."

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Bacarrette/Tebeka, I need an update on your current situation.

Merde, mon general. Merde.

The 96th and the 98th are destroyed. Saint Croissant is in enemy hands.

97th has its guns on Clemenceau pointed NW. 97th's infantry are at the Toilette-Champs Farm holding position and securing the crossroads to their north.

99th took 25% causalities from enemy artillery fire -- they are digging in and holding position. Their counter-battery fire has wiped out the enemy MG and artillery to our front.

6th cav are in position on Le Oeuf. They have sighted enemy jaeger and bicycle troops in battalions strength headed for Le Oeuf -- our cavalry has been inflicting causalities, but they continue to advance.

Two German brigades spotted south of the Boise De Gooneville advancing due south. One weakened brigade still in Saint C.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 22, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

I hope everyone reading this realizes that we can deploy a brigade at Haltebruit.

Excellent - let's have the BEF hit 'em on the flank.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Hm... Not quite what you wanted, but here's my sketch of the western half of the plan:

The red arrows above Haltebruit represent where I want our first reinforcements to go, with the first arrow ending where I expect them to be in one turn.

22nd Division HQ - Send out your orders, then head to Graisse.

96th Brigade - lie there and bleed.

97th Brigade [order change 1st priority] - Your mission is to secure the right flank of 6th Cavalry Brigade, repel the enemy forces north of Dejeunner advancing southwards and to prevent them breaking through the center and taking Graisse. Move your infantry and 3-4 of your 75mm guns to the Western flank of the Dejeunner Ridge.

98th Brigade - lie there and pray for morphine.

99th Brigade [order change 3rd priority] - Hold position. Keep digging in (use your engineer!). Move infantry to cover your most vulnerable frontage.

Réservistes de Artillerie [order change 2nd priority] - Your mission is to to destroy any enemy attempt to set up artillery overwatch near the Bois de Haute and hamper enemy attempts to send troops to Faibleimpot. Advance to Flanderschamps Sud. Use the farm or the immediate area to deploy your forces. If the chance presents itself, act offensively and engage the enemy with your artillery. Do not attempt an infantry attack. If the enemy attacks, dig in and defend the farm. Force preservation is a priority.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mon General, the 97th has been bayonet charged by two enemy brigades. Has taken near 50% losses. The Cavalry Brigade has been driven off Le Oeuf. Guns are lost, brigade likely routed.

--

ORDERS

Divisions HQ -- Return to Clemenceau ASAP.

• Locked thread