Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka, reinforce our Eastern defense line at your discretion. Prepare for night-time assaults.

General Bacarrette, a hospital wagon is ready for you in case you received serious injuries. If you're still capable of performing your duties, please organize a full assault on Dejeneur, and then on Quatreprouts, with a high priority on the cavalry unit and the B.E.F. taking out enemy artillery. If you have the time, try to relay orders to the artillery reserve to probe for enemy presence in Faibleimpot, and take it if it's empty, or retreat to the trench if not.

Division HQ -- return to Clemenceau.

99th Brigade. Continue digging in -- make sure you have good artillery coverage to your north and west.

97th Brigade and 6th -- as soon as the BEF are neck and neck with you, Attack the Dejeunner ridge ASAP. I will leave it up to you if you want to bayonet charge the guns or make an attack with rifles. Either way, kill those drat guns.

BEF -- get into battle order as fast as possible and destroy the enemy forces on the Dejeunner Ridge.

Once Dejeunner is taken, then you must rush to Quatreprouts and hold it at all costs.

If these orders reach your on turn 3 or later, then rush to Quatreprouts and do not, I say again, do NOT attempt to take Dejeunner.

Reserve Brigade -- get your artillery in the southern edge of your trenches. Unless you hear countermanding orders from me, or unless your approach is covered by 3+ batteries of deployed enemy artillery -- then you are to assault the Dejeunner Ridge. As I said earlier, do not make an assault across open ground under heavy artillery fire. Move half of your men and your artillery to assault the northern flank of the Dejeunner Ridge to support the BEF and 97th's assault.

Also, send a company to scout Failblempot. Retreat if they take fire. Seize it if possible and hide inside the town.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Proposal: I dont think we can split Brigades, so do we want to sent the whole green brigade to Faibleimpot?

True enough.

Better not. Dejeunner is our priority.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

What's the timing here? Is there an approximate time I should be aiming for to begin assaulting the ridge, or should my men be marching as soon as I change the orders? Because I probably don't have a phone line through St Croissant and I'm definitely outside the 30" aura, the roll to succeed in the change of orders might be difficult, so it might be difficult to get the timing right for a coordinated assault.

It would take my men approximately an hour to get the guns into a position where they would be able to fire on the ridge, a little longer until they're in a formation where they could advance in force.

General Bacarruda, please select from the following options, keeping in mind the possible delay in changing orders and specifying the time to launch the assault if selecting scenario 2 and 3:

Scenario 1: I immediately march on the ridge and hope the timing all works out.
Scenario 2: My men get into artillery firing range of the ridge, and begin advancing at a certain time to synchronize with other brigades' assaults.
Scenario 3: My men stay where they are until a certain point, and then begin advancing on the ridge.
Scenario 4: I move only enough to provide artillery overwatch to the ridge, able to quickly move back to the trenches or march on Faibleimpot as the situation evolves.

Optional: The change of orders could be nightmarishly difficult, since every malus except the one about being in battle could apply. Please specify whether there is a time where my contribution to the assault on the ridge would come too late to be helpful, and if so, whether you would prefer my men stay where they are or march on Faibleimpot.

Wait one turn so you can get your guns far enough south to support your advance. Then go, go, go and push for the ridge top as fast as you can.

If you start taking artillery fire from 3+ guns, immediately fall back out of range and wait until the enemy guns are gone before you advance further.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

EMERGENCY ORDERS, DIVISION LEVEL

Priorities list for the 22nd Division, in descending order, in case General Bacarrette doesn't post one:

Priority 1:
BEF and 6th cavalry
Priority 2:
97th brigade
Priority 3:
Artillery reserve
Priority 4:
99th brigade

Signing off on this.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

PROVISIONAL BEF ORDERS

Alright chaps. Get into battle line as best you can. Follow this map here.

Infantry will storm Dejeunner. Go as fast as you bloody can. Take out the artillery. Then the machine guns. Then the bloody infantry. Do not stop for anything.

The MG and the 12 pounder will follow us behind us. Deploy at the marked positions. Wait two turns at that position, and provide fires support. After that, if you see our boys advancing, then move up. If you see them falling back, hold fast and cover our retreat. Once our restreating men pass you, head back into the town or the town outskirts and prepare to make a last stand.

Important conditional: Once Dejeunner is taken -- rush to Quatreprouts and hold it at all costs.

If the commanding officer's orders reach us on turn 3 or later, rush to Quatreprouts and do not attempt to take Dejeunner.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

xthetenth posted:

You know how teutoburg forest is part of the German national myth?

Ask Tevery if he's going to be shouting "give me back my artillery" in the middle of the night. :v:

The theme for this turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin -- who owns the 155mm now? The 99th (de jure) or the BEF (de facto)?

I would like the 155mm guns to support the attack on Quatrepots -- and would like to find a legal way for them to do so.

----

To General mon pere from General Bacarette

Here is the draft of the orders I plan on sending to my brigades

"With night falling in a few hours, these are likely the the final orders you will get.

99th Brigade -- You have a hole in your line with the front of your 75mm guns exposed. I am concerned the Germans may try a nightitme rush out of Saint Croissant or Baguette forest and overrun our gun line. The rules won't let you reshuffle infantry to plug the gap -- but your Engineers can move to fill that gap. I suggest you put them on the low ground in front of the artillery and dig them in.

97th Brigade -- Advance your infantry to the Dejeunner ridge and form a defensive line on the right flank of the 175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery). If you want, you can bring over some of your artillery from Clemenceau.

175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery) -- continue moving to secure the Dejuenner Ridge. Use artillery. MG, and rifle fire to destroy any German troops you encounter. Establish a defensive line on the northern edge of the Dejeunner Ridge and dig in. Make sure your artillery can cover the area just south of Saint Croissant and the Bois De Gooneville.

6th Cavalry Brigade. Magnificent work! You've earned your pay for today. Time to earn a little overtime. Catch your breath on the reverse slope of the Dejeunner Ridge for the time being and wait three turns. The gallop hell for leather and reconnoiter Faiblempot. If it's empty - take it. If it's got enemy troops, link up with the Reserve Cavalry and report what you found, then join their attack.

BEF -- excellent work clearing Dejeunner ridge. As previously ordered -- assault Quatrepots and take it. Once the village is secure -- head north as fast as possible to help the Reserve Cavalry Brigade take and hold Faiblempot. Use the 155mm howitzers to help shell enemy forces in Quatrepots, then leave them behind on Dejeunner ridge with a good field of fire facing Saint Croissant.

Reserve Cavalry Brigade -- Charge into Quatrepots and kill or capture every German you find in the village or the immediate area. Once that is done, move north as fast as you can and take Faiblempot at all costs. Stay as far west as possible to avoid fire from La Sanglante Femme.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Hm... This is quite different than what I had in mind.

I'd rather let the engineers finish building the barbed wire they were building near Sullat's guys.

The 97th would be better off joining the assault on quad and holding the town against any cheeky nighttime shenanigans. They really don't have the strength to do much else, and I'd really like to have a unit in there for when the German army timer runs out.

I'm not sure if it's worth waiting with X's guys. We don't know how much of a clusterfuck movement at night is, and I'd really like to have him heading for Faibleimpot as soon as possible because of the timer.

I don't think the BEF is going to make it to Faibleimpot in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't think we're going to actually have to defend it. We've made no telling sign that it's actually our objective, and we might be able to hold it with just X's guys. I think the BEF should instead be redirected to intercept that German brigade after taking quad, and then deploy with its heavy guns in the front somewhere where they can target Croissant. After all, those guns are the only thing we have which can shoot into the town itself. That crossroads near Clemenceau might be a good idea?

The reserve cavalry is our best hope of taking Croissant. The enemy brigade inside the town is fairly weak, and an attack under the cover of darkness may result in our ultimate victory. I'm willing to risk it after it helps take quad.

I can have X rush to Faiblempot. France's Greatest Hero will be in some danger doing so, but I think he can win the day.

See your point on the BEF. I'll stick them on the crossoads.

Would prefer to have the 97th up on the front lines. If they do make a desperate rush, I want as many men as possible in the fight.

I strongly object to making at attack on Croissant with only one brigade. We don't know what the night attack rules will do to unit cohesion. And it's very likely that they will be putting up roadblocks, wire, trenches, etc. in and around the town. I've already lost two brigades rush the town. I do not wish to lose a third.

If we must make an attack, can I suggest that we have the 99th, BEF, Cav, and the survivors of the 97th make a coordinated attack when feasible?

Also, are we going to retake Le Cote?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Your flyers have many demands on their time and will not be available to the Corps Commander again until tomorrow.

On a training exercise, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UlaAHdcRMg

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Bacarrette, <signal interference> with everything you've got. Once it's been taken, you are to <signal interference>. Send THE HERO OF THE REPUBLIC to take Faibleimpot. I leave it at your discretion to decide who is to hold Quatreprouts. The artillery <signal interference> but absolutely not take any risks. The result of this battle depends and you and your men. Do not fail me. <signal interference>

Général de Division Bacarruda

"With night falling in a few hours, these are likely the the final orders you will get."

6th Cavalry Brigade "Heroes of the Republic" -- General xthetenth, you have another set of medals waiting for you at Failblempot. Get there as fast as you can!

2nd Brigade, BEF -- excellent work clearing Dejeunner ridge. As previously ordered -- assault Quatrepots and take it. Make sure your heavy artillery (the 18pdr and the 155mm are in position to fire on the town before your infantry get into range of the enemy.

Once the village is secure -- head north to the Crossroads south of Saint Croissant and dig in. Use the 155mm howitzers and the 12 pounder to help shell enemy forces in Quatrepots, then move them up to get a good field of fire on Saint Croissant. Unless ordered to stop, at midnight -- move into Saint Croissant and assist the Reserve Cav's attack there. Once the town is taken dig in and hold it.

97th Brigade -- Advance your infantry to the Dejeunner ridge and form a defensive line on the right flank of the 175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery). If you want, you can bring over some of your artillery from Clemenceau.

99th Brigade -- You have a hole in your line with the front of your 75mm guns exposed. I am concerned the Germans may try a nightitme rush out of Saint Croissant or Baguette forest and overrun our gun line. The rules won't let you reshuffle infantry to plug the gap -- but your Engineers can move to fill that gap. I suggest you put them on the low ground in front of the artillery and dig them in.

175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery) -- Hold position and destroy the enemy to your front, then continue moving to secure the Dejuenner Ridge. Use artillery. MG, and rifle fire to destroy any German troops you encounter. Establish a defensive line on the northern edge of the Dejeunner Ridge and dig in. Make sure your artillery can cover the area just south of Saint Croissant and the Bois De Gooneville.

Reserve Cavalry Brigade -- Charge into Quatrepots and kill or capture every German you find in the village or the immediate area. Once that is done, charge into Saint Croissant, following the roads heading NW. Make a night attack and take and hold the city.

--

Runner Priority
1-Reserve Cavalry Brigade
2-99th
3-6th
4-BEF
5-97th

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 2, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Command of the Cavalry Reserve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

Allons enfants de la Patrie,

Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

Contre nous de la tyrannie,

L'étendard sanglant est levé,

L'étendard sanglant est levé!

Vive la France! En avant! En Avant!

Pierre? Pierre?
Oui?
Qui est le grognard?
Je pense c'est M. le general.
Merde. Nous allons mourir, non?
Oui.

Best of luck, sir.

When If you die, who is taking command of the corps?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hephasto posted:

The 2nd Brigade will immediately charge on Quatreprouts, bayonetting or routing any Germans in the town and surrounding environs. During this time, the artillery will remain in position and take what shots they can.

*IF these orders are received on the first turn, the 2nd Brigade companies on top of La Oeuf are to attempt to form the default battle formation as best they can before advancing.

With Quatreprouts taken, the 2nd Brigade will form up in the default battle formation as best it can and advance upon the marked crossroads north of Toiletteschamps and south of Fraisechamps, with a slight easterly detour to rendez-vous with the artillery. When the infantry and artillery are reunited, the artillery will re-limber. Once the artillery is mobile again, the whole brigade will advance on the crossroads. At the crossroads, the 2nd Brigade will take defensive positions, the artillery will unlimber, and the brigade will wait until dawn for further orders.

Standing orders BEFORE Quatreprouts is taken:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Continue towards original objective

When attacking the enemy:
Launch a Bayonet Charge

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:
Do not pursue

Break Off automatically when:
Fight to the last man

Adjustment to standing orders AFTER Quatreprouts is taken:

When attacking the enemy:
Use rifle fire

Makre sure your 18pdr and the 155mm guns you've picked up are able to fire into Qautrepots to support your attack.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

No, the BEF isn't hitting St C, reread their orders. And you really don't want to cause a clusterfuck of nighttime orders jumble. Our guys already can't find their own trousers.

But I can't tell you nothing no more, so do what you want. :cheeky:

Well no, we can't.

Division can't change orders without permissions from the corps commander...

e: well, not without serious penalties, at least.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 3, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Yup. They still have dudes there and nobody was ordered to garrison the town. :munch:

e: On the bright side, I do still have orders to pursue. :v:

That's a little unclear, boss. Your orders to tell you to destroy all visible enemies, but that's contradictory with your orders to move on after taking 4P.

my dad posted:

Crunch: Deploy the cavalry 3-4 inches east of the western edge of my given deployment zone, as compact as possible. (deploying at the very edge and with 24 inches of movement leaves them just short of the town, so I'm keeping a bit of extra distance due to vision advantage) Head for Quatreprouts, adopting a formation 2 ranks deep with the commander chit front and center, MG and artillery in the back stopping to provide support as needed when the enemy is spotted. Advance directly towards Quatreprouts, and eliminate all enemy presence there via judicious application of cavalry saber.

Once all enemies in Quatreprouts are removed, proceed down the road (NB: In combat formation, not marching formation) towards Saint Croissant, if possible assemble the formation 6-8 inches away from the town, and then charge and eliminate all the defenders.

Stance:
Always charge.
Break formation to attack the enemy as directly as possible and destroy all visible enemies before proceeding with orders.
Pursue routing enemies.
Fight to the last man and the last horse.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

97th Brigade -- Leave two companies to hold Quatrepots. It looks like the cavalry will be moving on... They can rejoin the brigade on Dejeunner at daybreak.

--

Runner Priority
1-97th

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I thought we were not allowed to split our brigade like that?

We did it once with the 97th. I figured I might as well try it again.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

22ND DIVISION

Do not issue orders to attack until I give the say-so.

Do not make any attacks (That means you, BEF).

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 4, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slim Jim Pickens, Interrim Corps Commander

General Corps Orders

Gentlemen, an important update to the general situation has been made aware to me. Firstly, we are now fighting to defend France to the last man, and we may pay no heed to casualties incurred for the sake of La France. Secondly, a relief army has been dispatched from General Headquarters, and will arrive at 1300.

As such, it would be unthinkable to blight their arrival with the sight of Teutons in the fair town of Saint Croissant. A general attack will be scheduled for 1030, wherein we shall assault with ranged fire the Eastern Flank of Saint Croissant with 4 brigades at once. The path of this attack will be through the Bois de Baguette, and through the clearing South of Baguette itself.

Unfortunately, it seems mon pere took with him all the literate staff officers, we may only draft each brigade a new order once every 2 hours. By 1030, all relevant brigades should have received the order for attack, and their specific orders shall be explained at the opportunity to draft them comes.

With respect to this unfortunate delay in command, all brigades with orders to attack at 1030 must be appended with this clause. "Should any fresh German reinforcements be spotted at any point between receiving this order and 1030, the attack will be called off".

Likewise these orders shall also be appended "If 120th Brigade is seen retreating from Baguende, the 1030 attack will be called off."

Additionally, all attacking brigades shall also be ordered forward with this clause: "Only if enemy resistance evaporates in the outskirts of Saint Croissant, the city itself shall be assaulted en masse, en epee, avec un grand elan."

6th Division
Priority one: 55th Brigade
In preparation for a final assault on St. Croissant, please ensure that your major artillery assets are ordered forwards and entrenched along the clearing between the Bois de Baguette and the unnamed Forest NE. Try to limit time spent being lost.

Reports of appalling morale in 6th Division are making the Corps staff office concerned. Make plans to transfer divisional and corps assets to a reliable brigade command, or barring that, one traumatized and numbed to the horrors of war, after reaching intended position.

This brigade will attack at 1030, through Baguette, and it's artillery assets should be attached to an unroutable brigade.

Priority two: 53rd Brigade

Attempt to take positions just East of the Bois de Baguette.

This brigade will attack at 1030, through the Bois de Baguette

22nd Division
No orders can be given this round.

Non-binding courtesy notice: 99th Brigade and the BEF 2nd Brigade are slated to be involved in the 1030 attack.

Général de Division Bacarrette

Sir, I wish to join General Tebeka in strenuously opposing these orders. Our men have been fighting extremely hard today. They are tired, worn out, and in need of food and ammunition. I have lost two brigades and have had a third nearly destroyed. The Germans are dug in and will have all night to put up wire and roadblocks to hinder any assault on their lines.

With our communication problems, a multi-brigade attack with weak troops is extremely risky. It will be impossible to coordinate or respond to changing circumstances.

It is extremely difficult to destroy enemy soldiers dug into trenches, especially when the Germans have so many of those infernal machine guns. The Lebel is a fine rifle, but it simply cannot match up to those damned Spandaus. Our men will be slaughtered in the open.

If we must assault, let us wait for our relief and allow them to join the assault.

I am a good soldier of France and I will do as commanded. But I must beg you, for the sake of our men, to reconsider this 1030 assault.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 4, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

On behalf of a grateful nation and her grateful allies, I wish to present these awards to Général de brigade Dixième for his gallant service in this battle.

Général de brigade Dixième lead the 6th Cavalry Brigade in the Battle of Saint Croissaint with extreme dash, skill, and elan.

As the vanguard of the 22nd Division, he was the first to reach the outskirts of Saint Crossaint, only to find this sacred French soil in German hands. With his men beaten back by the fire, the General rallied and garrisoned his men in a nearby farm. Thanks to his guidance, his horse artillery devastated advancing enemy forces, buying 22nd Division vital time to reorganized in the face of this stiff resistance.

With enemy forces about to overrun him, the General executed a flawless withdrawal under intense fire -- galloping his men towards the vital peak of Le Oeuf. Taking the peak, he could see two German brigades advancing towards him. Ignoring the long odds, The General steeled his men and poured yet more fire into the Germans, killing hundred of German Jaegers with point-blank artillery blasts.

Yet it was too much. German forces drove him and his men off the ridge and seized his guns. Undaunted, the General rallied his men yet again. Before him on Le Oeuf was an entire German brigade supported by nearly a hundred piece of artillery. Seizing the initiative, he rallied the surviving men of his brigade. Looking around, he could see he only had two companies left. And still he charged.

Storming up the ridge, he caught the Germans completely by surprise. Sabre in hand, Général de brigade Dixième personally killed several dozen German soldiers when he overran an German artillery battery. And still he charged.

Racing down the German gunline, the General proceeded to destroy 5 more German artillery batteries. Sabre'ing the gunners there, he took nearly a hundred German artillery guns and their horses. And still he charged.

Moving down the hill, the General assaulted two more German field guns killing and capturing their crews. Behind him, the 2nd Brigade of the BEF followed his charge as the 1st Battalion of the Lancashire clearing the stunned German survivors off the Dejeunner Ridge. And still he charged.

Now at the summit, the General had the pleasure to retake his lost field guns, ensuring not a single one fell into enemy hands.

General de brigade Dixième's assault at a critical moment turned the tide of the battle for the Allied forces. By destroying the German's field guns moments before they were ready to fire, he saved the 2nd Brigade of the BEF from certain annihilation. His charge allowed allied forces retake high ground and blunt the German's nearly-successful attempt to flank the 22nd Division.

For his heroism, he has been dubbed a Chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur. Great Britain has awarded him the Victoria Cross, the first ever awarded to a Frenchman.

Every man in the 6th Cavalry Brigade has been award the Crois de Guerre in honor of their exceptional service and self-sacrifice.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

I'm back. Ideally as a division commander, but I'm down for whatever.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Signups for 1914 Round 2: From La Dand to Effyaders, are now open. Here is the map.

Further explanation of the various terrain features is available in either thread, but new for this round. Most importantly, waterways, some with bridges! On the left, a canal; in the middle, a shallow, fordable river; on the right, a deep river. Changes of elevation are much less important than round St Croissant, but the hill spotting rules have been tweaked, and there is also a depression on the left of the map and a sunken road, the Chemin Creux. (There are a few unnamed features that you are welcome to submit names for in here.) Also, you will get to play with indirect artillery fire for the first time! All this and more, if you consider Northern France for your holidays this autumn!

For reference about the terrain symbols.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

One thing everyone needs to be mindful of: the indirect fire rule addition is *ahem* a YUGE change into how battles are fought.

In the last battle -- all artillery had an 18" max range when using direct fire over open sights.

Here are the indirect fire ranges:

• French 75mm field gun: 110"
  • French 15cm howitzer: 120"
  • German 7.7cm field gun: 110"
  • German 10.5cm howitzer: 95"
  • German 15cm howitzer: 102"
  • British 13 pdr field gun (horse artillery): 80"
  • British: 15 pdr field gun: 80"
  • British 18pdr field gun 110"
  • British 4.5" howitzer: 90"

This means that artillery in contact with spotters (or firing pre-planned barrages) can hit nearly anywhere on the map pretty much from Turn 1.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Unless there are objections, I would like to take the 3rd Cavalry Division

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

WE GET ARMORED CARS!!!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Current vote total:

My dad: 5
Curly: 2
Loel: 4

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

For those interested, this is the (rough) historical makeup of 3rd Cavalry Division.

6th Cavalry Brigade
1st (Royal) Dragoons
10th (Prince Of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars
3rd (Prince Of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards
1/1st North Somerset Yeomanry
C Battery, RHA
6th Cavalry Brigade Machine Gun Squadron, MGC

7th Cavalry Brigade
1st Life Guards
2nd Life Guards
Royal Horse Guards
1/1st Leicestershire Yeomanry
K Battery, RHA
7th Cavalry Brigade Machine Gun Squadron, MGC

Engineers
1st Field Squadron, Royal Engineers

Armored Cars
Samson’s Armored Car Squadron, (Royal Naval Air Service) RNAS.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Also, Trin. Are our cavalry and armored cars veteran units as well?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Voting for Loel.

New map, new general with some spiffy new red tabs.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller posted:

Since our divisional and corp commanders are almost decided, I'll be calling dibs on the 'metal horses' , if that's OK with everyone.

That'll probably be at the discretion of the 3rd Cavalry Division commander, with input from the corps commander.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Evening, sir.

Based on what we know, the following openings need to be filled.

3rd Cavalry Division commander
RNAS Armoured Car Brigade commander
? Cavalry Brigade commander

Royal Horse Artillery commander (controls the cavalry division's field artillery)

7th Infantry Division commander
? Infantry Brigade commander

Royal Artillery commander (controls the infantry division's field artillery)

Royal Engineers commander (controls mounted and foot engineers)

--

I'd like to be considered for command of the 3rd Cavalry Division. And thatbastardken has expressed interest in leading 7th Infantry Division.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

So that our staff officers can begin planning - here are some things that'd be helpful.

1) A timetable analysis of German advances, taking into account: marching order, battle order, cavalry speed, infantry, speed, ford and bridge penalties (units can use marching order on bridges, fords must be traveled one company at a time), etc, etc.

2) A terrain analysis that identifies our best defensive positions, artillery sites, etc. and our best approach/retreat routes for each.

3) A timetable for our guys and how fast we can get to each spot.

4) An assessment of potential German plans accounting for aggression, caution and everything in between.

5) Courses of action for our team.

6) An engineering plan related to point 4) that lays out where and when we should be placing trenches, roadblocks, and wire.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 7, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

So here is where thing stand volunteer-wise.

3rd Cavalry Division commander -- Bacarruda?
RNAS Armoured Car Brigade commander -- sixkiller? Vincent Van Goatse?

Royal Horse Artillery commander

7th Infantry Division commander -- thabastardken?
? Infantry Brigade commander -- Acebuckeye13

Royal Artillery commander

Royal Engineers commander -- Hunt11?

Fires (may be blended with RA and RHA duties) -- lenoon

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 7, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Armored Cars
Split the ACs into three two groups. Group 1: north to hide in the Effyaders forest to cover the M1 and the M2 by ambushing enemy forces trying to cross.
Group 2: center to cover the M4 crossing and prevent an early breakout from Stehescope.
Group 3: south to get on the 6 o'clock section of the Chemins. They will stay there 2-3 turns to harass and hamper enemy movements, then retreat by bounds over the M7 and cover the southern crossing.

Their mission is to create a much havoc as possible early on in the battle and to pin the Germans on the east side of the small river for as long as possible, buying time for the cavalry to get into position.

Use the fords to prevent enemy forces from getting off an enmasse charge off on the ACs.

Cavalry Brigade #1
Go north to secure the Effyaders Forest. Have some men with eyes on the crossings, with the rest prepared to charge weak enemy forces or harrass stronger ones with rifle, artillery, and MG fire.

Cavaltry Brigade #2
Go south to the Bois de Blob area and prevent enemy crossings of the M4 anf M7.

Engineers
Lay wire in the south to prevent a German night crossing of the river. Once the ACs are across the river, finish a roadblock on the west bank of the M7 ford.

My general concept of operations is to create as much confusion as possible amongst the German forces for as long as possible. We will use ambushes, hit-and-run tactics, and charges as needed to delay and distract enemy forces.

Concerns:
-German night moves may penetrate our lines and get behind us without knowing it.
-German horse artillery could destroy (or chase off) our armored cars, because they outrange the ACs MGs.
-German get access to infantry and heavier artillery well before we do, allowing them to outshoot any defense of the fords.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 8, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

AbortRetryFail posted:

I like all of this except for splitting the cars up. The best defense they have at the sunken road is having overwhelming firepower, but splitting them up risks their lives. Taking one or two cars away and putting them elsewhere isn't too much of a problem, but if we end up splitting them into two equal groups it diminishes their firepower to a level where it may affect their survivability. I think splitting the cars will hurt us too much and they are better served all going to the sunken road as a group.

My reasons for organizing the Armoured Cars into two groups come from our Corps commander's concerns and objectives.

Here is the threat. The German players are aggressive people. Last game, that aggression was rewarded when they took Saint Croissant first. But they also got slapped for the aggression when 19th Division marched into an ambush.

I think it is very likely the Germans will take these two lessons into account. They will be aggressive, but they will be very mindful of their flanks. That suggests to me an push along the center, with troops also probing our flanks and being prepared to exploit any gaps they find.

Loel posted:

As you recall, they zergrushed to their core city last game, and tried to rush the final location ignoring all losses. So we can label their doctrine as aggressive, particularly since it got them the (marginal) win last game. For this map, what does it mean?

My contention, then, is that their approach will look something like this. Bikes rush as fast as they can to the first beachhead they could, which the Staff say they can do by turn 5-6. They can set up arty on the hilltops and infantry in the city on the way.

The question for us, then, is what can and should we do by turn 5?

Now for what we want to accomplish. Loel has said that he wants to hold as much ground as possible. Doing that means engaging the Germans as far east as possible and stopping German leakers from crossing the central river and getting a foothold on the west bank.

Loel posted:

Commander's intent: We've been instructed to be aggressive in our defense, so here are my goals. Taking Stethoscope (Zone 3), or preventing its conquest, is the priority. If we cannot hold here, commander's intent is to form in Zone 4 in good order.

Sullat's current battleplan has all 10 armored cars going south of Stethoscope and firing from the Chemins for a few turns. Then, he splits the armored cars and sends 4-6 to defend the main E-W road and the M4 ford and another 4-6 to defend the M7 ford.

In other words, the battleplan favored by our corps commander supports organizing the Armored Cars into two groups within the first 10-15 or so moves of the battle.

I'm simply suggesting that we move that timetable up and have them work in two groups from the onset. I don't think the M4 force will get there fast enough if it has to loop back all the way from the Chemins. Looking at our timetables, Germans will probably be across the river before they can get there.

For those worried about splitting forces, remember that these two groups can be mutually supporting. The force on the central East-West road and the one on the Chemins can be in MG range of Stethoscope by Turn 4. With good positioning, both can help the other repel enemy attacks.

And if/when both withdraw, they can move to strong position that give us control of key ground.

Given Loel's concerns about a center push, we need forces locking down the M4 road. If we do not contest that crossing early, the Germans can split our defense down the middle.

A force of armored cars is ideal for holding that road. Sitting 16" (or so) away from the M4 ford, they can pick off German cavalry as they try to cross the ford. That bottleneck makes it very hard for the Germans to get off a multi-unit charge. Plus, if the Germans do try to make a push, we can alter our plans and support the M4 ACs with the first cavalry brigade.

Of course, all this is at the discretion of Loel what he choose to prioritize. If he emphasizes the Chemins effort, then I'll commit the ACs fully to that movement.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 8, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Your brigades, by the way, are the 20th, 21st, and 22nd. The 3rd Cavalry Division consists of the 6th and 7th Cavalry Brigades, and the RNAS Armoured Car Brigade. (The latter is in fact Royal, being part of the Royal Naval Air Service, because everything's made up and the points don't matter.)

And purely out of fluff interest, any notable infantry or cavalry regiments making an appearance?

Trin Tragula posted:

20th Bde: 1st Grenadier Guards, 2nd Scots Guards, 2nd Borderers, 2nd Highlanders
21st Bde: 2nd Bedfordshires, 2nd Yorkshires, 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers, 2nd Wiltshires
22nd Bde: 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers, 2nd Royal Warwickshires, 2nd Queen's, 1st South Staffs

6th Cav: 1st (Royal) Dragoons, 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars, 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards, C Battery RAH
7th Cav: 1st Life Guards, 2nd Life Guards, Royal Gorse Hards, K Battery RAH
No. 3 (Eastchurch) Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service

Thanks, Trin!

Some very posh and fashionable regiments there.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 8, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Major-General Desmond de Vere Barrington, GCVO, DSO and Bar. General Officer Commanding 3rd Cavalry Division, British Expeditionary Force.

Gentlemen, here is our order of battle. As you can see, we have some of the finest regiments in the British Army. Our traditions go back to Waterloo and the long shadows of our ancestors lie over us in this moment. Let's make them proud.

Arriving Turn 0:
Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) Armoured Car Section: Commander sixkiller, RNVR

Arriving Turn 4:
6th Cavalry Brigade: Brigadier General xthetenth
-1st (Royal) Dragoons
-10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars
-3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards
-C Battery RAH
-Mounted Troop, Royal Engineers -- Lieutenant Colonel Hunt11, RE
Total Strength: Brigade HQ, 10 cavalry companies, 2 horse artillery batteries, 1 mounted MG company

Arriving Turn 10:
7th Cavalry Brigade: Brigadier General mydad
-1st Life Guards
-2nd Life Guards,
-Royal Horse Guards
-K Battery RAH
Total Strength: Brigade HQ, 10 cavalry companies, 2 horse artillery batteries, 1 mounted MG company

All officers, here is the situation.

German forces have broken through the Belgian lines and are headed right for the town of Effyaders. If Effyaders fall, the Channel ports fall. If the Channel ports fall, the BEF falls. if the BEF falls, France falls. And if France falls, Britian falls. The fate of the world lies on our shoulders at this moment.

The 7th Infantry Division will be bringing its three brigades and artillery onto the field 36 hours from now. We must hold until then.

I expect to face a German cavalry division+ on the first day, probably supported by horse artillery, bicycle troops and crack light infantry. We may see some German infantry on Day 1. We will face at least a division+ of infantry, with indirect fire on Day 2.

Here is our mission. Pevent the German from taking Effyaders. Hold as much ground on the right bank of the Effyaders Canal as possible. Our objective: Germans from crossing Zone 4 in force, Make this line will be our front line at the end of the battle. If we cannot accomplish that, we will fall back to Zone 3 and seek to hold that as our secondary objective.

Loel posted:

Bacarruda
Commander's intent: You are to focus on Zone 3. Priority list as follows:
1) Maintain integrity of command
2) Scout opposing forces
3) Ambush targets of opportunity
4) Fallback to zone 4 when the situation warrants

Scouting priorities are to find out:
What brigades we are facing, and in what composition
Where are they coming from, and at what speeds
What is their most likely avenue of approach towards Zone 4.

Here is how we will execute our plan.

Our overall plan is simple. Armoured Cars rush forwards to the Chemins to delay the enemy for as long as possible, then retreat back to hold the M4 and M7 fords. One brigade in the north in Effyaders. One in the south near Bois De Blob. Engineers creating obstructions to hinder enemy movements.

My intent for all commanders is simple: delay, disrupt, distract. You must confuse and harry the Germans as much as possible. What we lack in strength, we must make up for in guile. Ambush them with rifles or sabres as you see fit. Use cover and concealment. Use chokepoints to cancel out their numbers. Bloody well slow the Hun down until our infantry can get there.

When night falls, we must be wary of German night attacks or flanking moves.

Here are your orders.

All commanders - I want conditionals that account for the best case, worst-case, and most likely enemy scenarios. Make sure you have a plan to fall back to our marked last-stand locations. Here are timetables to help guide your planning.

professor_curly posted:

Timetables
Table 1: Armored Car Movement (Road)

Table 2: Enemy Cavalry Movements (Marching Order)

Table 3: AC + Enemy Movements

Scout aircraft, fly over the suggested spot at Turn 12.

RNAS Armoured Car Section (Sixkiller), send 7-8 of your cars into the 6 o'clock segment of the Chemins to engage German cavalry approaching Stethoscope. Consider sending some cars into the shoulder of the road, using oblique formations, etc. to maximize your frontal firepower, although keep in mind the movement penalties you face when going off-road (if you go 1" off-road, you will only have 16" of move points left if you get back on the road).

Have these cars fall back after a 2-4 turns (although if you are in a favorable fighting situation, you may issue conditionals to stay longer) and then have them set up to hold the M7 and M4 fords.

Use the bottlenecks at fords to prevent enemy forces from charging your forces. Delay them as long as possible until cavalry brigades can arrive to support you. If overwhelmed by enemy forces, break contact and find suitable ambush positions, or fallback to the Zone 3 last stand site.

Have your remaining cars acts as scouts covering the M4 and M1 fords. Do not let them get destroyed.

6th Brigade (xthetenth), you'll enter the map on Turn 4. Your orders are to move to the Foret De Effyaders to secure the M1, M2, and M3 fords. You may also need to change plans to hold the East-West road and secure the M4 fords should the enemy attempt to cross there in force. Your mission is to prevent the German from taking the Foret de Efffyaders. If you face overwhelming enemy forces that you cannot delay or destroy, alert division HQ and fall back to the Zone 3 last stand area.

7th Brigade (mydad), you'll enter the map on Turn 10. You will have two roles: mobile reserve and southern covering force. Head to the Bois de Blob area to counter German crossing efforts From M4 to M7. If 6th Brigade tkaes ehavy pressure, be prepared to assist them directly or indirectly.

Royal Engineers (Hunt11), Keeping mind timetables (your movement time, German movement time, build time), block the M7 and M6 fords with wire or a roadblock. Make sure you do not trap the armored cars on the eastern bank. I also want some wire or roadblocks on the East-West Road. If safe, continue wiring or roadblock the rest of the ford. If not, put wire on our flanks in the zone 3 area and begin digging trenches in zone 3 to stiffen our fallback positions there. here is a map with zones suggested sites to wire/block.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 9, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller posted:

Rolls-Royce Brigade: The Big Red One

Draft: The overall command of the brigade is split between me and RNVR, so I’ll be leading ‘Red Group’ in their daring raid on Stethoscope; meanwhile, RNVR will operate the defense of the forest.

In total, this operation gives me five armored cars to work with. I order that they be split further into two groups: Magnus ignis, four ACs, will move on to the 6 o'clock road; Ignis, one AC, will move on the road facing Stethoscope and join up with the additional cars sent by ‘Blue Group’. If everything works out, the German cavalry will find itself in a pickle: murdered by machine guns.

Magnus ignis will hold its positions for two or four turns, depending on four factors: damage dealt; casualties taken; the initial surprise of the enemy; and finally, the number of enemies spotted.

Ignis is to hold at all costs, preventing the enemy from escaping or advancing forward. It's a one man, or car, mission. The best of luck to them.

Aahah, sorry. I should have made something more clear

"RNVR" is not a player, it's just a postscript. It means "Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve" i.e. I was adding some fluff and implying your character was a Royal Navy reservist called up at the outbreak of the war.

All the armored cars are yours.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller posted:

I thought that I was sharing the brigade with one other dude.

Nope, all yours.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Having the armoured cars hold position for 2-4 turns is essentially the same as asking them to fight to the death. This is a game where 5 chits can die on the first turn of an engagement.

Armoured cars in cover like the Chemin Ceux can lay an ambush which makes them invulnerable to all counterfire for one turn of fire. This is powerful, and necessary, as the enemy will probably have reserve artillery ready to use indirect fire.

Armoured cars in non-cover do not have this luxury, and will be fully vulnerable to anything, up to and including the Germans simply bumbling into firing range. A squad of 2-5 armoured cars is not strong enough to rout a full cavalry brigade, and will take disproportionate casualties.

We should split the car brigade, but only into a group of 8, and two individual scouts. We can send the scouts onto the middle and north roads where we don't have a presence, with orders to immediately flee on sighting boche. This way, we can cover the spotting gap presented by the enormity of this map. Later, the fresh cavalry brigades will be arriving, and with our superior scouting network, we can organize where exactly we want to ambush or encircle the boche.

Do you think it is feasible for a some cars west of the the M4 to mutually support ACs in the Chemin during the opening phases of the battle?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 8, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Major-General Desmond de Vere Barrington, GCVO, DSO and Bar. General Officer Commanding 3rd Cavalry Division, British Expeditionary Force.

Gentlemen, here is our order of battle. As you can see, we have some of the finest regiments in the British Army. Our traditions go back to Waterloo and the long shadows of our ancestors lie over us in this moment. Let's make them proud.

Arriving Turn 0:
Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) Armoured Car Section: Commander sixkiller, RNVR

Arriving Turn 4:
6th Cavalry Brigade: Brigadier General xthetenth
-1st (Royal) Dragoons
-10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars
-3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards
-C Battery RAH
-Mounted Troop, Royal Engineers -- Lieutenant Colonel Hunt11, RE
Total Strength: Brigade HQ, 10 cavalry companies, 2 horse artillery batteries, 1 mounted MG company, 2 mounted engineer companies.

Arriving Turn 10:
7th Cavalry Brigade: Brigadier General mydad
-1st Life Guards
-2nd Life Guards,
-Royal Horse Guards
-K Battery RAH

All officers, here is the situation.

German forces have broken through the Belgian lines and are headed right for the town of Effyaders. If Effyaders fall, the Channel ports fall. If the Channel ports fall, the BEF falls. if the BEF falls, France falls. And if France falls, Britian falls. The fate of the world lies on our shoulders at this moment.

The 7th Infantry Division will be bringing its three brigades and artillery onto the field 36 hours from now. We must hold until then.

I expect to face a German cavalry division+ on the first day, probably supported by horse artillery, bicycle troops and crack light infantry. We may see some German infantry on Day 1. We will face at least a division+ of infantry, with indirect fire on Day 2.

Here is our mission. Pevent the German from taking Effyaders. Hold as much ground on the right bank of the Effyaders Canal as possible. Our objective: Germans from crossing Zone 4 in force, Make this line will be our front line at the end of the battle. If we cannot accomplish that, we will fall back to Zone 5 and seek to hold that as our secondary objective.

Loel posted:

Bacarruda
Commander's intent: You are to focus on Zone 3. Priority list as follows:
1) Maintain integrity of command
2) Scout opposing forces
3) Ambush targets of opportunity
4) Fallback to zone 4 when the situation warrants

Scouting priorities are to find out:
What brigades we are facing, and in what composition
Where are they coming from, and at what speeds
What is their most likely avenue of approach towards Zone 4.

Here is how we will execute our plan.

Our overall plan is simple. Armoured Cars rush forwards to the Chemins to delay the enemy for as long as possible, then retreat back to hold the M4 and M7 fords. One brigade in the north in Effyaders. One in the south near Bois De Blob. Engineers creating obstructions to hinder enemy movements.

My intent for all commanders is simple: delay, disrupt, distract. You must confuse and harry the Germans as much as possible. What we lack in strength, we must make up for in guile. Ambush them with rifles or sabres as you see fit. Use cover and concealment. Use chokepoints to cancel out their numbers. Bloody well slow the Hun down until our infantry can get there.

When night falls, we must be wary of German night attacks or flanking moves.

Here are your orders.

All commanders - I want conditionals that account for the best case, worst-case, and most likely enemy scenarios. Make sure you have a plan to fall back to our marked last-stand locations. Here are timetables to help guide your planning.

professor_curly posted:

Timetables
Table 1: Armored Car Movement (Road)

Table 2: Enemy Cavalry Movements (Marching Order)

Table 3: AC + Enemy Movements

Scout aircraft, fly over the suggested spot at Turn 12. Please center your recon on the eastern edge of Ferme Chatte so that the recon plane can see both of the Le Dand bridges.

RNAS Armoured Car Section (Sixkiller), send 7-8 of your cars into the 6 o'clock segment of the Chemins to engage German cavalry approaching Stethoscope. Consider sending some cars into the shoulder of the road, using oblique formations, etc. to maximize your frontal firepower, although keep in mind the movement penalties you face when going off-road (if you go 1" off-road, you will only have 16" of move points left if you get back on the road).

Have these cars fall back after a 2-4 turns (although if you are in a favorable fighting situation, you may issue conditionals to stay longer) and then have them set up to hold the M7 and M4 fords.

Use the bottlenecks at fords to prevent enemy forces from charging your forces. Delay them as long as possible until cavalry brigades can arrive to support you. If overwhelmed by enemy forces, break contact and find suitable ambush positions, or fallback to the Zone 5 last stand site.

Have your remaining cars acts as scouts covering the M4 and M1 fords. Do not let them get destroyed.

6th Brigade (xthetenth), you'll enter the map on Turn 4. Your orders are to move to the Foret De Effyaders to secure the M1, M2, and M3 fords. You may also need to change plans to hold the East-West road and secure the M4 fords should the enemy attempt to cross there in force. Your mission is to prevent the German from taking the Foret de Efffyaders. If you face overwhelming enemy forces that you cannot delay or destroy, alert division HQ and fall back to the Zone 5 last stand area.

7th Brigade (mydad), you'll enter the map on Turn 10. You will have two roles: mobile reserve and southern covering force. Head to the Bois de Blob area to counter German crossing efforts From M4 to M7. If 6th Brigade takes heavy pressure, be prepared to assist them directly or indirectly.

Royal Engineers (Hunt11), Keeping mind timetables (your movement time, German movement time, build time), block the M7 and M6 fords with wire or a roadblock. Make sure you do not trap the armored cars on the eastern bank. I also want some wire or roadblocks on the East-West Road. If safe, continue wiring or roadblock the rest of the ford. If not, put wire on our flanks in the zone 5 area and begin digging trenches in zone 5 to stiffen our fallback positions there. here is a map with zones suggested sites to wire/block.

If you have other ideas, let me see them and we can work out a more detailed plan.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

I must formally protest dividing our forces like this. Let the ACs take up positions near Stethoscope, let the first cav come in to support them, and only then send my cavalry the long way around to the North. We should not start a long battle by ceding half the map to the enemy.

I understand your position. If we'd had more forces, we'd do it.

But we need guns, and most importantly, eyes on as much of the map as possible.

And I am skeptical of the ACs ability to stop enemy cav from getting into Steth. They will probably be able to stop a breakout, but our timetables have enemy cav getting into town one turn before the ACs can fire.

My concern is that a late-arriving cav brigade following your plan will have to assault Stethoscope while taking fire as they cross a ford in single file.

What is we put the 6th Cavalry Brigade in the southern edge of Effyaders Forest to cover the M4 ford? They could cooperate with the scout AC there, plus any other ACs we detach later on.

• Locked thread