Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The BEF haven't gotten any new orders this round have they?

As in, the brigade commander hasn't posted any new orders for the BEF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

On corps and division level yes, but not on the brigade level. I'll wait for the last moment, and then post basic emergency orders for them. It'll basically be: Charge artillery on Dejeneur, then charge Quatreprouts, then head for the crossroads near Clemenceau and wait.

Charge the infantry, artillery can't shoot chits in melee anyways so they won't matter in the fight. If the brigade routs, the artillery is gone, if it doesn't, we just charge the artillery and nothing changes.

But infantry can shoot into melee, so aiming for the guns hurts us more.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

I beg your pardon? Where is this rule written?

quote:

Rifle Companies which, during their movement, move into base-to-base contact with an enemy company which it Spotted on a previous turn, initiate Close Combat. Infantry companies perform a Bayonet Charge; Cavalry performs a Cavalry Charge. Units who are being charged suspend the Order of Priority rules and instead fire on the charging company. A unit may be charged by multiple opponents at once. A unit in Close Combat may not be targeted by enemy artillery.

And besides, Trin said attached companies don't count for the rout count so killing the artillery doesn't actually make the job any easier.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Please aim for the infantry and MGs first, the artillery is the last priority in a bayonet charge.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Gentlemen, it appears Lu-Bu has captured Quatrepoux. No, don't ask how, im not sure either.

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:

Do not pursue

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin, I think you left out a chit belonging to 97th brigade as well.

As penance for X's berserker fury, I think we can just pretend it did nothing of consequence and re-appear in the forest.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

True. Although I'd estimate that there are 4 or 5 arty pieces still on Pasteur, plus a shitload of MGs. Enough to mess up an exposed infantry brigade's day if caught out in the open. That being said, I think we can send the 53rd in to clear out the Bois de Baguette and take up positions there to spoil any major attack. If the Germans attack it, they will be lit up for our own arty to shoot at.

Agree with this. We should send that brigade we have between Sullat and Loel into the Bois de Baguette to root out the boche company through concentrated rifle fire.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's currently 1am. We cannot make expect to make any attacks, and should limit ourselves to consolidating our lines.

If the Germans do not attack us during the night, we are in a good position to bombard their positions. However, because they are likely to spend the night entrenching, we won't be able to see their troops in the morning, unless we send a force to engage in rifle fire (Please do not bayonet charge units that we want to bombard).

However, it's possible that the Germans will attack us at night. They have the advantage in terms of raw brigade power, they have 3 bolstered brigades available in one spot. Our brigades are more spread out.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

So, given our knowledge of Boche troops dispositions from earlier, I don't think these are fresh brigades. In fact, I think the Boche may have abandoned Baguette like so.

How can we test this? Only blood, unfortunately. If they really have abandoned Baguette, 6th division can be in a good position in the morning to systematically bombard their positions outside St. C

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

It looks like they expected to take quatreprouts and St. acroissants, and abandon the rest of the map to turn them into strongholds. Those are the brigades you've indicated. There may be actual reinforcements in the Pasteur trenches though.

I doubt they'd still be guarding Pasteur after seeing so many of our brigades peel off towards the West. If Boche reinforcements come, it will be during the night or the crack of dawn.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens, Interrim Corps Commander

Official Telegram Notice

Attention, noble officers and enlisted men, currently engaged in valiant defense of St. Croissant and surroundings. I am with heavy heart and great sorrow, for we have heard reports that our dearly beloved Generale mon pere, is currently missing in action, having bravely and gallantly saved Quatreprouts from vile boche depravity, and gone on to lead the first charge into Saint Croissant itself! Heave, French hearts, our general's love for patrie bid him selflessly advance upon war-fevered Hun, guns, rifles, and shells be damned!

Pray that he return to us, in spirit or in body, for France will not forget a hero of his calibre! In the interim, I will be taking over the role of emotional Corps Commander, so that we can all have somebody to blame if catastrophic failure finds us in the future.

Soit brave!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens, Interrim Corps Commander

General Corps Orders

Gentlemen, an important update to the general situation has been made aware to me. Firstly, we are now fighting to defend France to the last man, and we may pay no heed to casualties incurred for the sake of La France. Secondly, a relief army has been dispatched from General Headquarters, and will arrive at 1300.

As such, it would be unthinkable to blight their arrival with the sight of Teutons in the fair town of Saint Croissant. A general attack will be scheduled for 1030, wherein we shall assault with ranged fire the Eastern Flank of Saint Croissant with 4 brigades at once. The path of this attack will be through the Bois de Baguette, and through the clearing South of Baguette itself.

Unfortunately, it seems mon pere took with him all the literate staff officers, we may only draft each brigade a new order once every 2 hours. By 1030, all relevant brigades should have received the order for attack, and their specific orders shall be explained at the opportunity to draft them comes.

With respect to this unfortunate delay in command, all brigades with orders to attack at 1030 must be appended with this clause. "Should any fresh German reinforcements be spotted at any point between receiving this order and 1030, the attack will be called off".

Likewise these orders shall also be appended "If 120th Brigade is seen retreating from Baguende, the 1030 attack will be called off."

Additionally, all attacking brigades shall also be ordered forward with this clause: "Only if enemy resistance evaporates in the outskirts of Saint Croissant, the city itself shall be assaulted en masse, en epee, avec un grand elan."

6th Division
Priority one: 55th Brigade
In preparation for a final assault on St. Croissant, please ensure that your major artillery assets are ordered forwards and entrenched along the clearing between the Bois de Baguette and the unnamed Forest NE. Try to limit time spent being lost.

Reports of appalling morale in 6th Division are making the Corps staff office concerned. Make plans to transfer divisional and corps assets to a reliable brigade command, or barring that, one traumatized and numbed to the horrors of war, after reaching intended position.

This brigade will attack at 1030, through Baguette, and it's artillery assets should be attached to an unroutable brigade.

Priority two: 53rd Brigade

Attempt to take positions just East of the Bois de Baguette.

This brigade will attack at 1030, through the Bois de Baguette

22nd Division
No orders can be given this round.

Non-binding courtesy notice: 99th Brigade and the BEF 2nd Brigade are slated to be involved in the 1030 attack.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 4, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's my understanding that we aren't receiving reinforcements to end the battle at 1300, the battle is literally over at 1300.

Thus, with our attack scheduled at 1030, we will only be attacking with a limited window for the boche the counter us. We expect to make contact at 1100, while our artillery begins bombardment at 1130. We have time to cancel the entire attack, so long as the conditionals I've sent you reach the brigade commanders.

The boche runner reached St. Croissant some time near 2100. If their battle end timer is also 12 hours, the battle will be over at 0900, before our last attack begins. If they receive on-map reinforcements, we are still in a position to spot them, and that will also cancel the attack, if the brigadiers get those conditional orders.

Loel posted:

Whats the range on their artillery? We could compromise, have our infantry stop just outside. I think we outrange them.

Bacarruda posted:

With our communication problems, a multi-brigade attack with weak troops is extremely risky. It will be impossible to coordinate or respond to changing circumstances.

sullat posted:

I agree, the whole point of the maneuver is to force them to come to us or be destroyed by our artillery. With that in mind, an attack is not needed. They will need to reorient to attack us, or be destroyed piecemeal.

We eliminate our communication problems by ordering this attack at a predeterminate time, as well as unified conditional orders for its cancellation.

The goal of our attack is to make contact with the Germans and force them to reveal their MG and artillery positions. With our overwhelming advantage in artillery, these positions will be silenced immediately. However, we cannot see their exact positions until they open fire, which means that we must use our infantry to reveal them.

By approaching the German line in enfilade, we will also limit the possible damage of their initial fire. The Germans will not be able to use their heavy weapons all at once, but we will be.

Our attack can be spoiled if our attacking soldiers rout or retreat, before our guns can acquire their targets. Thus, we must attack with a strong infantry force and present far too many targets for the boche to silence. Our goal is to advance into rifle range on the East Flank, and immediately stop at first contact. The boche will only have 3-4 MGs available to shoot back. So long as our infantry force survives the first contact, all those MGs will be shelled to bits. This is why we need to order all involved brigades to attack at once.

We have a lot of time to maneuver our brigades, and get them into a strong position for attack or defense.

sullat posted:

Edited my orders above, review for conformance with our last, greatest, attack plans.

Your positions are too far north. You should aim to have some of your artillery shooting through the gap between Baguette and Bois de Baguette, and only go as far North as you need to.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

:siren:Your brigade orders don't include any of the conditional orders necessary to cancel the attack if circumstances change.:siren:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Not bad news, really. The Germans are hunkering down.

It seems our order delay is even worse than I thought. The 1030 attack is hereby cancelled.

Next corps orders are simple.

6th Division
Order your brigades abandon all attack plans.

22nd Division
Continue resisting against the urge to attack.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

99th

Continue to chill in trenches

Out of everybody here, your guys probably had the nicest day.

No medals for calm service though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Officer losses have been too systemic, I will return as Brigade Commander!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I, like noted war hero xthetenth, am ruling myself out of corps command. I have a pretty bad schedule this month and I wont be able to put in the time for it. I'll satisfy myself by barging into the planning room and rattling off a list of objections intermittently.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Man, the Armoured Car brigade looks amazing. Its a shame they're on field first, there won't be many left by the end of the day.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Unformatted list of questions for Trin:

Can Armoured Cars dismount (And be able to hide and move like infantry)?

Do the road crossings in the middle river count as bridges or fords (Just wanted the answer in the thread)

How does our deployment zone change if the Germans get close to it?

Can we control the chits of a fully-autonomous brigade even if they're spread all over the map?

If an armoured car brigade wants to use a road, how many chits wide can that formation be?

If you dig trenches on roads, does that gently caress up the qualities of the road or the qualities of the trench?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Having the armoured cars hold position for 2-4 turns is essentially the same as asking them to fight to the death. This is a game where 5 chits can die on the first turn of an engagement.

Armoured cars in cover like the Chemin Ceux can lay an ambush which makes them invulnerable to all counterfire for one turn of fire. This is powerful, and necessary, as the enemy will probably have reserve artillery ready to use indirect fire.

Armoured cars in non-cover do not have this luxury, and will be fully vulnerable to anything, up to and including the Germans simply bumbling into firing range. A squad of 2-5 armoured cars is not strong enough to rout a full cavalry brigade, and will take disproportionate casualties.

We should split the car brigade, but only into a group of 8, and two individual scouts. We can send the scouts onto the middle and north roads where we don't have a presence, with orders to immediately flee on sighting boche. This way, we can cover the spotting gap presented by the enormity of this map. Later, the fresh cavalry brigades will be arriving, and with our superior scouting network, we can organize where exactly we want to ambush or encircle the boche.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Nope, all yours.

Do you think it is feasible for a some cars west of the the M4 to mutually support ACs in the Chemin during the opening phases of the battle?

The limits of MG range make this impossible. Rapid movement is also limited because the unclear disposition of stethoscope. Besides which, one turn of movement, one turn of setting up, and a hypothetical battle is already over.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

:siren: Everyone read and comment on this. :siren:

This is a rough idea of trench and wire placement so far. Right now everybody needs to be working together on creating this map of erections as this will be how we defend against the Germans.

Basic highlights of the set up

Foret de Effyaders and Bois de Blob become natural forts of which we can harass the enemy without worrying about being hit first.

First wave of trenches in Saucisson Valle and the ones furthest to the west are gun pits.

As a general point of order. Any brigade that is near a point where we want to set up trenches has to get to work on them as fast as they can. My engineers will try to set up as much as they can put they need time.

For turn tracking

By the 21st turn I can have every wire piece set up near the ford that is south of Foret de Effyaders so I need about 20 turns of safety to get that ready.

Remember that it takes 6 turns to set up wire and ten turns for engineers to create 7" worth of trenches.

I will officially recommend that a mid-late day 1 goal should be the destruction of R1 bridge.

Our engineers will either be in two situations for your 20 turn timetable for wire.

1. The Germans are held back, suffering casualties and forced to gather reinforcements

2. The Germans can push through our planned defenses, and will likely continue pushing until their command radius or our own reinforcements arrive to stem the tide.

In both cases, one company of engineers should be sent to destroy R1 bridge. It is my strong opinion that the Germans will be maintaining a stronger force than us for tthese first 2 days of battle, and we should take efforts to limit the number of approaches the Germans have towards Effyaders. We deploy from the South, and our current defenses are focussed on the middle and the South. If we are ever pushed away from our defences, or should night fall, the Germans may be tempted to send a force out to menace Effyaders. Our limited ability to defend the Northern portion of the map should encourage us to deny the Germans value from the North.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

So you want to use a limited resource for an entire day in order to maybe make the Germans take an extra couple turns? Setting up wire at M1 would achieve almost the exact same thing and would be much faster. If you want that to be a priority target of wring the M1 ford I can understand and potentially support it. Anything involving blowing up bridges on the first day is not going to happen.

We aren't using our engineers in mid-late day 1 efficiently anyways. Are they going to dig random trenches that we don't have units to fill?

The M1 will be a major annoyance for us to cover all game. At worst, it could lose us the game if the Germans get cheeky and sneak a damaged brigade through Trois Freres. Our defense centers on the Saucisson Valle, and our deployment zone prevents us easily reaching the Northern half of the map. We have no need for M1, we can't even deploy from that half of the map, so why should we allow the Germans backdoor into Effyaders?

Your point about M2 is nonsense. We will absolutely have to defend the Canal, but we don't have the forces to defend all 3 crossings. Thus, we destroy the M1, which is more difficult for us to defend, and more isolated to reinforce.

Bacarruda posted:

The Fusiliers Marins Brigade and the Belgian Brigade will arrive at the canal if the Germans get enough cross there.

Also, there is a good chance that the Belgians will flood the northern edge of the map if the Germans are that close to Effyaders, which would wipe out the northern bridge, anyways.

We don't need to worry about destroying that bridge.

It will be to our benefit not to flood the map, as we will probably have plenty of units in saucisson valle and I don't know what will happen to them if they suddenly find themselves in a lake. Also, turning the battleground into a marshy pit will not suit our eventual counterattack.

If we blow the M!, even the townies should understand that the Germans cannot simply jump across the river to menace them.

Edit: My concern for our entire deployment is that we seem to be committing ourselves to defending the entire N-S breadth of this map, when we probably do not have the forces to do so. It is not all "doom and gloom" to expect our lines to contract as the battle goes on, but a natural consequence of that contraction is that the outermost paths to effyaders will be compromised.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Belgians are suiting up for their inevitable entrance.

btw meet my favourite new page on the internet http://britishbattles.homestead.com/belgium.html

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 14, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The ACs are functionally useless as a combat unit now, we should send them out to watchpost over each crossing like so:

If they see the boche, they should retreat immediately.

Post X in Bois de Blob, and my dad where he is right now in effyaders. With this setup, we can see all over the middle river, news can travel relatively quickly, and we can set up some redeployments.

There's no point in manning defensive positions anywhere on this map, if they aren't actually be threatened by boche. If that fresh cav brigade moves North, we must move north as well, and if it moves South, we have to move South. My dad's can give out some conditional orders for this, to move towards defensive positions either in South Effyaders, or the Bois de Blob, depending on where the fresh German cavalry is spotted. With our wire, we can delay them long enough that our attack will actually hit them.

X's brigade should probably survive, and we should post him in either wood. Afterwards, his conditional should be to redeploy towards that equally damaged Boche cavalry brigade from Steth, wherever we see it.

Our notions of holding the line are pretty meaningless when we don't have the troops to actually man the entirety of the N-S line. We are going to have to be reactive instead of static, and this is the best way to do it.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 16, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

I say we should concentrate our two damaged brigades on the central crossing and hold the line there while my brigade pushes for La Dand. As much as I like the idea of taking a spare engineer to do some bridge demolition work, we need them at the crossings more.

I know we are British cavalry, but maybe we should step back and learn from our previous, brigade-level, shenanigans. Attacking La Dand is completely pointless while a healthy German brigade is already occupying stethoscope. Not to mention that we'd be taking our only working brigade out of the fight.

sullat posted:

If we want to continue to be aggressive, drawing that cav brigade north with an ambush from Ferme Inutille and then hitting them with a counter-charge from My Dad's brigade might work. Our biggest question is figuring out which crossing they will attack, so of we can hit them before they can make that choice, we don't have to guess where they will be.

My dad's brigade is currently on the wrong side of the river to be indulging in counter-charges. X's brigade is too weak to accomplish anything useful there as well.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

If we strike La Dand, we have good odds of killing a division commander since that's the most likely place for one to be in, in addition to completely crippling their communications, and possibly catching their reinforcement brigades unaware.

We can always pull back just before nightfall if we're spotted on the way there.

Alright then, see your brigade in 18 turns. Good luck on your trip.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Well, I guess the good news it that our infantry will be marching directly onto the German cavalry.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

So of the two brigades arriving at 0800, it seems like we need a) one to help mydad find and evict our unwanted house guests around Bois de Blob and b) the other to hightail it up to the unoccupied trenchline in Effyaders before the Germans sneak across the fords.

edit - it also sounds like we need some additional commanders for the reinforcements arriving in the evening...

I do not see a trenchline in Effyaders, and it would be foolish to send our reinforcements so far to the rear with out any spotting. Our infantry can arrive onto the map within sight range of the Canal anyways, se can accomplish the same effect by deploying one brigade and having them take a roundabout route towards the Stream, that passes by the major bridges into Effyaders. Put that brigade on "pivot and attack orders".

Also, destroy the R1 bridge. Look how easily the boche snuck troops past us. We even lost an engineer chit because we were obsessed with digging frontline fortifications without an actual frontline.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

Slim, did you swear a blood feud on that bridge or something like that?

R1 delenda est.

Hunt11 posted:

Why the R1 bridge? The are much closer to the R3 bridge.

We can deploy from the Southwest, we can't deploy in the North West. I am not worried that the Germans will be seizing Effyaders today, I am worried that poor frontline coverage will allow the Boche to sneak a small unit through at some point. That, or force us to post units in Effyaders itself, which will be a pain in the rear end to ever reposition. If the bridge is gone, we can keep our men on the East bank of the canal.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The *Foret* de Effyaders, aka the trenches that mydad recently vacated. I don't think anyone is advocating falling back on the town yet.

There is a decent possibility that the Germans at Bois are the rump survivors of Stethoscope rather than the full strength brigade. The survivors are estimated to be 2x cavalry chits, 1x MG, 1x AH and a Brigade HQ. It would make sense to send them out to probe the lines at night, and would explain why we don't see any units in the northern half of the Bois trenches.

Also, before folks panic too much the wire is still in place at the southern ford and the Germans will have to bring up engineers to clear it. Until then it will significantly delay any full-sized units trying to cross, since they'll have to break out of marching formation and cross single file to get around the wire.

It's likely, but not necessarily true. Either way, concentration of force is better, and we should probe and attack with both an infantry brigade and my dad's cavalry.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
So I saw in the Roll20 that this:
code:
Pere Loel (GM): im spitballing, but yes
at the moment I have no idea where the enemy is, what approach they are using, or where they are getting reinforcements

Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): None of us do

Pere Loel (GM): so Im just trying to cover the M1-7 bridges :v
if they got behind us, the reinforcements should run across them
Is the basis of our deployment.

If we don't know where the enemy is, spreading out our forces into mutually unsupportable positions is a bad plan!

Send both infantry brigades into Bois de Blob. With a huge concentration of force, we can destroy the Boche cavalry and survive anything else they send.

I highly doubt the Germans are advancing on a broad front. Why probe with the cavalry at all, in a risky night-time maneuver, if you're just going burst in from elsewhere? They're going to be trying to support their successful ford.

If the boche have the numbers to advance North and South, then our own numbers won't be sufficient to stop them everywhere. The only answer is that to concentrate our forces. We still have the luxury of a fair amount of ground, and lots of uncertainty for the German side.

Edit: Also, please remember, we do not need to enter the map in Marching order unless we are entering on a road.

Edit edit: Destroy the R1 Bridge.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 22, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

My understanding is we're getting this:

Turn 49: 2 brigades (infantry)
Turn 50: 1 brigade (infantry)
Turn 51: 1 brigade (arty)

With that in mind, yes, I agree with you :D

Trin Tragula posted:

A division consists of three big BEF brigades (two arriving immediately, one arriving in the next update after this one) plus a single semi-autonomous brigade, organised into two groups of 4 18-pounder guns. Guns travel on-road at 12" in single file. Your artillery arrives on Turn 51.

The third infantry brigade is arriving in 8 turns.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Time for a plan that Slim has long been waiting for. The Final Stand

The idea is to set up barbed wire at least on our end and if we have the time/resources on both ends of the bridge.

After that has been done we wire the bridges to blow up and just wait for the enemies to come and once we brigades get stuck on the bridges we blow them up.

This is plan is impossible. We have no way to finagle a perfectly timed demolition, and even if we could our Engineers would just be shot to death by Germans on the bridge.

Just blow up a few of the bridges and move on. The point of destroying them is to deny any German force, at any point in this battle, an easy path into Effyaders. That's it. It doesn't directly benefit our position, it doesn't weaken our position. It denies the Germans strategic options, and gives us a little leeway in out troop deployment. With the bridges gone, we don't have to worry about having to divide our forces on both sides of the canal. We can just keep our our forces on the East Side, and shift units at a scale of 1/2 turns of movement, rather than 4/5.

We won't even kill that many boche anyways, the bridges aren't that long.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Back at the Bois de Blob, there's now a whole cavalry brigade charging your infantry...

Uhhhhh, what's this? The Germans not only scouted the Blob, they camped out.

I like how German and British cavalry brigades camped in the same forest over night, and apparently never noticed each other. I hope one of our boys is riding a German horse he mounted by mistake.

So what we should do, is wait for the next infantry division and use the extra engineers to demolish the R1 and R3 Bridges.

Also, we should fix our infantry formations, because those blocks are a huge inefficient mess.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Istvun posted:

Right now, I am highly interested in putting a couple of chits in the Ferme Inutille. If they can stay in there, they'll be within the extended command radius and have vision on both roads. It would also give me a point to jump up with the eye of occupying the northern piece of the chemin creux during the night. If they see enemies, I will be in range to call for supporting artillery fire.

Trin: how does supporting fire work if all of the chits that can see enemies are killed before the shells start landing? Is it any different if the enemies are stationary in trenches, or is shooting at their last-known positions not permitted in that case?

Does the division commander need to be within 8" of a road, or is it different for hooking into the telephone lines? I sore of thought they needed to be right by the road.

We don't have single chits capable of doing that which aren't invaluable, or hilariously immobile off-road.

Bacarruda posted:

East vs west of what? The river?

We are not going to cross the river...

I think he wants you to clarify whether you mean SW or SE Foret de Effyaders. At least, I would like that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
We are currently in the middle of being assaulted en masse, we should not be sending our brigades out on blind charges.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

I'd like to strongly advocate we have some arty fire for one turn on the westernmost German infantry chits in the Effyaders Forest. This will suppress and hopefully kill infantry who could shoot at 7th Cavalry Brigade during their first turn of charges and movement.

If it's not feasible due to time delay, Change of Orders, etc. issues, then I understand. But I'd like to see if there's some way to engage those Germans with fire prior to the cavalry attacking.

Those units are going to be moving/attacking the infantry brigade in Effyaders woods for at least the turn, and frankly, that's all we need because the cavalry can make contact on the same turn.

I say we just pound the southern infantry attack with a good ol' block of artillery fire.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
God drat I wish the Belgians would show up already so I can ignore all your orders and just camp out for the rest of the war.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
My deepest apologies for pushing the forest attack.

It looks like the Germans had brigades marching into the forest besides the super-brigade. I think this is good evidence of how committed they are to the forest. If I were the German commander witnessing the debacle of Day 2, I would be committing most of my forces to one flank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lenoon posted:

I think the central defence strategy is a good move on either breakout contingency. I know there's a few hours until I pick up more ammo for indirect fire, but relocating to the indicated position would let me direct fire on any potential move south or west, provided that there's some form of spotting.

Tehan posted:

I've discussed the potential uses of the artillery with ARF. Until dawn, it can direct fire only.

Northern Defence:

The first scenario for an Effyaders breakout. The enemy advances (as they seem to be currently doing) and manages to break through the 23rd, leaving my division's guns vulnerable. Considering there is up to a division strength already in Effyaders and possibly more reinforcements coming, this is possible no matter how bravely the 23rd fight. In this scenario, I would very much like the artillery on hand to pour in additional fire from the flank.

Also keep in mind with how badly our glorious rogue general has savaged the enemy's communications, it is possible that they will continue heading west even if they'd try to order otherwise now that they know we have a line of defence there.

Here's my proposed artillery movement.

If the Germans intend to attack through Effyaders during the night, the speed of artillery redeployment is more important than the absolute number of guns. This movement takes 4 turns to begin shooting, and allows at least 5 (6 maybe) chits to fire into Effyaders Wood.

The Germans seemed to have wisened up and are using rifle fire instead of charges, at least in the north. The one brigade we have sited is too far north for this deployment to hit. However, we do know that there are at least two German brigades in Effyaders, and that one could be appraoching from a more southern position.

In any case, our goal is to contain the German advance. I assume we are trying to panick them into deploying south, but there's no telling what the communications disruptions will do to the Germans

Heavy Battery

On the last turn, no Germans were spotted in Effyaders Wood. The assumption I am making for this plans is that the German brigade had stopped to engage our picket line, and then stopped moving, or retreated.

With that in mind, I propose that we Order indirect fire onto these positions, absent of requests for supporting fire.

Because we did not spot Germans in Effyaders Woods, they are either retreated or, halted.

If Germans have retreated, or trying to retreat then there's nothing we can do anyways, but we might as well spend the ammunition.

If they are still in the same positions, they will have to change orders, while their telegraph lines are cut, at night. If they fail to change orders, an ordered artillery strike should hit them..

The Near Future

I would consider it unlikely that the Germans will attempt to press their attack on Effyaders. I don't think they have organization to do it, and the fact that their attack halted to begin with indicates they were hesitating to advance.

We should be careful about our position in the South. It's overextended and indefensible.

The Germans are going to need to reorganize for the next few turns, and they may lose some chits to garbled communications, but I don't expect major attack. We should reconsolidate our positions. And set up another mutually supporting defense.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread