Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Reporting for the position of corps(e) commander. Vive la France!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm so grateful for the lack of rivers. They caused so much ridiculous busywork last game, and severely limited the options for battlelines.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd like to formally nominate myself as the Corps Commander. Is everyone OK with this?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Our offensives shall be unstoppable, our victories swift, and our mustaches unmatched. En avant!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

I'm going to spend the game pleading to use as surrogate runners

Oh, no no no no. I have very special plans for your cavalry. :) Very special plans, indeed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

I'm actually more expecting something along the lines of scouting and picketing and dying while getting the mobile firepower into important positions. Is that more accurate?

Weeeeeell, you got one part of that right.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How many brigades/units can deploy at once in the marked depoloyment area? I mean, I'll do the tapework myself if needed, but it'd be nice to know now.
Does the game still have that quirk in which artillery can be direct-fired at by other artillery that has spotted your artillery firing but not the infantry inbetween that is supposed to block the shot?

Second, a question for y'all (except Trin, obviously) what do you think we can expect the Boche objectives to be? I'm thinking either something related to the railway, or just breaking through us the same way we are to break through them.

I'll get around to making a roll20 for this campaign if Loel or whoever doesn't beat me to it when we get a clear idea of general plan. I'd like to keep the observer thread fairly well informed, if possible, though, so make sure you post your thought and ideas here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

We will push as hard as possible towards our primary objective, as ordered by the high command. Ground will be taken as necessary to protect our flank in support of this objective. Any plan that ignores the primary order given by the high command will, itself, be ignored.

(Also, the way things seem now, I think we're not going to be able to deploy everyone at once - two-three brigades at a time, more like - and should take this into account)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Figured it might be a good time to give the reminder before anyone starts putting too much effort into an overly metagaming plan. Your plans are perfectly fine, as far as suggestions go. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The high command told us that the German forces are advancing from the North. It would, therefore, be prudent to expect German attacks from the general North of our deployment zone.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 9, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The staff analysis so far concludes that the heaviest fighting will most likely be on our North flank, and that a large force needs to be committed there if we are to prevail. It is the opinion of the corps command that the reserve brigades should be allocated to the division tasked with taking St Croissants and holding the North against Boche onslaught.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hmm...

I think it might be a good idea to keep pictures only for division and corps level of command. Bolded brigade name and stuff like that should be enough to allow a quick reference to exactly who you are. Higher level commands need to stick out a bit more in the thread, methinks.

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

That is a good point. I'm happy enough with the little dash over the e in Téhan to not even miss the picture.

Cool. :)

xthetenth posted:

6th Cavalry Brigade

Sirs, I'd advise that since it seems we'll be limited to a narrow zone for deployment that the cavalry go in on the vanguard, since they have a disproportionate share of firepower and mobility for their footprint. I'd say that picketing out towards either the Tetons or St. Croissants would facilitate the deployment of our full Corps towards our objectives, depending on if we want to take the clockwise approach to Faibleimpot or just want to establish a strong position on St. Croissants. If we use the plans drawn up by General Barracuda, the course he's drawn for the 22nd would take us to the Tetons along roads, while a direct course from the north would have to detour over hills or through St. Croissants. If anything, the Boche has a better crack than we do at St. Croissants because they have more direct roads.

Does this correspond with your plans?

A vanguard role is, indeed, what is intended for your force. You and your men must advance to St. Croissants as swiftly as possible. It may prove difficult for our infantry to beat the Boche to it, and we'd be forced to fight a bloody battle from an unfavorable position if they manage to take it before we do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hold your horses (unless you're the cavalry division, in which case don't hold them, ride them), wait for a plan to be decided on before volunteering. There will be plenty of chance for everyone to earn a Croix de Guerre.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I talked to Trin via PM to clarify something. We can all deploy and move on turn 1 - there's no waiting period in the deployment zone and therefore no traffic jam.

No plan has been approved yet. However, all these ideas are appreciated and have been taken into consideration.

A general outline of a plan of attack will soon be provided, and refinement is encouraged.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fader Movitz posted:

Is it too late to sign up as a staff officer or reserve brigade commander?

It is never too late to become a staff officer (until Trin explicitly says it is :v: ) Welcome aboard. :)

To interpret the map:

• Gold - Primary objectives. Keep these in mind all the time.
  • Black - Defensive lines of last resort. We are not to allow the enemy to push us further back than this under any circumstances.
  • Red - Lines which are to be held by whichever division is tasked with holding the Northern flank, as well as the general direction their advance is expected to take.
  • Orange - Optional alternatives to red, either in the initial plan, or based on the circumstances of the battlefield.
  • Blue - Lines which are to be held by whichever division is tasked with holding the Western flank, as well as the general direction their advance is expected to take.
  • Light blue - Optional alternatives to blue, either in the initial plan, or based on the circumstances of the battlefield.
  • White - Attack on Faibleimpot. Needs to be done in force, and should not be initiated before a sufficient number of brigades is in place.

The key to our victory here is speed.

La Cote must be taken. Not only does it provide an excellent position to deploy heavy artillery at to completely anchor our flank, losing it to the enemy would be utterly devastating. It must be taken and held.
The rest of the red division is to proceed across open ground to secure the North flank and pressure St. Croissant from the East.
Blue division (which will include the cavalry brigade) will proceed in marching formation down Clemenceau road, before splitting its forces, the vanguard and some infantry support peeling away North to capture Saint Croissant, and the rest proceeding in battle formation to capture Dejeuneur Ridge and secure La Oeuf.
Once these positions have been firmly taken, Blue is to notify the division HQ, and wait for orders to continue the attack towards Faibleimpot.
Red will hold the line.
It is possible that reinforcements will arrive on the field before Blue is ready to advance, which may affect the plan. Unfortunately, this possibility is beyond our ability to directly anticipate.

Division commanders, you are hereby asked to evaluate the plan outlined above.
You are also asked to consider which task you are better personally suited towards accomplishing.

Remember: Speed and overwhelming force are the watchword here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Holding La Cote is non-negotiable, gentlemen. It is too valuable of a position on our flank, and holding it is too small of a price to pay for not having to worry about Boche going through my liquor cabinet. If, and only if, our scouting from its peak shows no enemy forces in the surrounding area, can the brigade there move forward.

The original plan includes 4 brigades attacking La Eouf and another 5 attacking Saint Croissants. How exactly does any of these other plans increase the force concentration there?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am going to start trying to set up something on roll20. In the meantime...

General Tebeka, your 6th division is to assume the role of force Red. General Bacarrette, your 22nd division is to assume the role of force Blue.

You are to do the following:
  • Make a more fleshed out version of plan Chardonnay for your force, including assigning specific tasks and additional units to specific brigades, as outline by me in this post.
  • Make a more fleshed out version of plan Pinot noir for your force, including assigning specific tasks and additional units to specific brigades, as outlined by General Bacarrette in this post.
  • You are encouraged to tailor brigadess to specific tasks rather than just giving each brigade the same amount of artillery support. It goes without saying that the cavalry brigade gets the extra cavalry company of force Blue.
  • You are allowed to make an additional plan based on a modification of the above two, as long as it is equally fleshed out, and working on it doesn't require you to neglect the above.
  • While doing so, take into consideration my notes about Le Cote (don't neglect to defend) and Faibleimpot (don't neglect to attack).
  • The cavalry brigade is to be allocated to force Blue. Remaining reserves and artillery are to be split evenly among the divisions, for now (let's say, 199th to 6th, 120th to 22nd). You are allowed to request extras if you believe it will be needed, but remember that they will have to be taken from the other force.

REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL STAGE OF PLANNING.

Brigade generals, you are to start considering how you want to deploy your brigade, and specifics of formations, routes taken, and positions held/attacked. Try to keep your planning specific to what your division general expects your brigade to do, but don't focus on the details too much - we're trying to get an idea which of the plans works best when set in motion, no need to spend too much effort yet. Once you have done this, you may consider helping out the staff officers.

Staff officers, your tasks are threefold. In order of priority, they are:
  • Design brigade formations to maximize combat effectiveness. Most important formations would be offroad marching formation (expecting eventual frontal contact with the enemy at an unknown position), offroad marching formation when at risk of flanking (expecting eventual frontal contact with the enemy, but also prepared to fight an enemy striking from a specific flank), generic defensive formations on featureless terrain, defensive formations on specific terrain features we are expected to hold or take, and assault formations for taking out fortified positions when supported by other brigades. Attention is to be paid to weapons range, protection of artillery and the brigade HQ, and maximizing fire output while minimizing frontage (unless explicitly trying to envelop the enemy). As an idea, consider leaving narrow gaps between companies to ensure the second line can fire through the gap, keeping your artillery at least [two inches, which is a bit less than two companies' width] away from your infantry, and placing your MG unit in such a way as to maximize its ability to [use its adjacency bonus] (flanked guys, this one is especially important for you).
  • Make plans for a brigade of your choice, as if your were its brigade general. I would highly encourage focusing on brigades for which no specific plan exists as of yet. Who knows, there may be a promotion in it for you if [a brigade commanding goon is absent for too long].
  • Provide advice and help to generals of all ranks. Do some analysis of your own which you think may be important to our chances of success. Be creative here.

Vive la France!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:ducksiren:ROLL20 UP:ducksiren:

You can join if you follow :siren:this:siren: link. I'll GM y'all as soon as I read you post your roll20 name in the thread.

Just follow the guidelines I'm setting here:
  • Don't vandalize the main 3 pages. If you want to draw squiggleys, of which I highly approve of in this serious bussiness of marching pixelmans to their doom on the internet, make a new page and have at it.
  • Observers, look but please don't touch or talk about anything you've seen unless you're in the observer thread. I'm not worried about the German team, I'm assuming everyone in this game will play fair, but chatty observers can sometimes accidentally cause problems.
  • Keep the Brigade Planning page clear of anything but chits. Any drawings are to be done on the Division Planning page or a new page you make. I'll probably make a spare map or two for everyone to play around in however they want, but feel free to beat me to it.
  • There is a page with all of the chit types placed on the object layer. Copy them from there and paste them wherever you need them. Once you placed your copied chits, double click on them to change their name from the unit type to the name of your brigade or your username to avoid confusion. There's gonna be a shitload of chits on the map and we'll need a way to tell them apart. Please don't mess with the original chits on the chits page. It's not that big of a hassle to replace them, but why replace them in the first place?
  • Pay attention to which layer you're on when you're drawing and placing things.
  • Have fun!

Do note that we're not supposed to be hiding there. Try to at least mention everything important that happens there in this thread, or provide a screenshot every once in a while.

General Hunt11 was shot and wounded by the terrible German sniper, Friedrich Drumpf. One of the staff officers is required to volunteer to temporarily replace him in his duties. Officers are highly suggested to avoid personally visiting the frontlines in places such as l'Dand and Effyaders while their services are requires in this offensive.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 11, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

Major problem with current deployment plans:

Our forces heading west towards La Ouef and to ready for assault on St Croissants will be arriving along the blue arrow at turn four. Case Yellow could have infantry having arrived at St Croissants on turn three and be ready to fire any artillery accompanying them on turn four; Case Blue would have them arriving on four and ready to fire on turn five. And as shown in the image above, the road west of Clemenceau is within the 18" range of artillery, including part of the road on the highlands - so our forces, visible due to being on top of the Clemenceau highlands, would be vulnerable to enemy artillery until they reach the lowlands and the enemy lose visibility on us.

To be safe, we would either need good and reliable scouting to be sure the enemy hasn't rushed St Croissants and a plan in place to divert us if they had, or we would have to route around the 18" range of artillery stationed in St Croissants.

Artillery can't fire out of St. Croissants.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Modified Chardonnay, yes.

I hereby promote Slim Jim Pickens to the position of Chief of Staff of our corps.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
WE HAVEN'T YET STARTED BRIGADE LEVEL ORDERS OFFICIALLY.

(the above can stand for now, but wait until the go-ahead has been given)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:siren:THESE ARE MY ORDERS TO THE IV CORPS:siren:

The scout aircraft is to deploy to the following location at the earliest opportunity:

Corps assets are assigned as follows:
  • 6th Cavalry Brigade -> 22nd Division
  • 119th Brigade, 120th Brigade -> 6th Division
  • 2 155mm guns, 4 75mm guns -> 22nd Division
  • 8 75mm guns -> 6th Division

General Tebeka, your 6th Division is given the following objectives:

Primary:
  • Secure La Cote and Baguend.
  • Advance on and capture Saint Croissant in conjuction with the 22nd Division.
  • Secure Saint Croissant and advance on Faibleimpot.
Secondary:
  • Secure Baguette.
  • Protect 22nd Division's North flank.
Tertiary:
  • Secure the Northeast and advance on Pasteur Ridge.
  • Kill as many Boche as possible.
  • Survive.

General Bacarrette, your 22nd Division is given the following objectives:

Primary:
  • Secure Clemenceau and establish artillery overwatch on St. Croissant from there.
  • Advance on and capture Saint Croissant in conjunction with the 6th Division.
  • Press West and advance on Faibleimpot.
Secondary:
  • Advance your cavalry brigade towards St. Croissant as rapidly as possible, and set it up in an advantageous position for an assault or ambush somewhere in the general vicinity.
  • Establish presence on Dejeneur Ridge after St. Croissant is taken.
Tertiary:
  • Establish presence Dejeneur Ridge before St. Croissant is taken.
  • Kill as many Boche as possible.
  • Survive.

Vive la France! En avant!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And now some out of character clarifications:

I didn't include any map other than for the spotter on purpose. The orders above don't exist in a vacuum. Please apply everything we've discussed so far, and feel free to consult the rest of the players if something isn't 100% clear to you - don't be a literal genie. For example, from our discussions it's clear that the two 155mm artillery chits should go to whichever brigade you assign to hold the Clemencau foothils, and the brigade in question should deploy its guns on the edge of the hill, and the infantry in front them on lower altitude, so that the guns can reach St. Croissant, even though the orders don't say this explicitly. But beyond this example, I'm not going to go into specifics of things like this because then I'd be playing the game in your stead, and nobody wants that.

Some minor directions I wish to give to you: Have a clear role in mind for each of your brigades, and assign assets to them accordingly. Take into account the possible Boche deployments discussed earlier when making your plans. Have alternatives prepared, and consider placing yoursef in optimal positions for ease of communication with your brigadiers and the HQ. We're going to encounter the Germans earlier than we planned, that's 100% certain. Keep that in mind. Try to design your orders to be as resistant to that as possible, while considering opportunities to disrupt the enemy in the same way. At the same time, keep in mind that they may well not show up where we expect them, and try to include an option to exploit this if possible.

Brigade Generals, please pay close attention to what your brigade should be doing, and tailor your formation accordingly. Feel free to ask other players for advice. Even getting just one extra figure to shoot at the enemy is an important gain.
Talk to each-another, and try to combine your plans. The Division General has the first and final word, but that doesn't mean you can't get the second.

As for any codewords that you may establish for messages, I suggest beers for spotting the enemy. Czech beers, Polish beer, maybe an American beer. If you spot something elite-looking, I hear Danish beers are nice and cold this time of the year.

To make things easier for the observers, try to include more information about who you are, where you are, and what you are doing into your post.

Carefully read the rules again

Have fun. :) I probably won't have much of a say beyond this point, at least until something major happens in the battle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
EXAMPLE FORMATION:

This is an idea of a formation for advancing when there's a risk of being flanked from the right side. Notice that it is relatively compact, that the second row can fire through the gaps in the front row, and that the staggered deployment allows the frontal chits an increased angle of fire to engage enemies coming from otherwise problematic angles. The artillery is place in such a way as to be able to shoot in any direction. The guns could have actually been somewhat closer to each-other if the assumption is that the enemy won't come from the direction they're blocking each-other in. The machine gun can shoot through your own chits without problems. The command and artillery chits are placed in such a way to both maximize their relevant range and protect them as much as possible from infantry fire.
In theory, every single chit other than the commander would be able to shoot at an enemy attacking directly from the front in the final pre-bayonet phase of shooting)

THIS IS NOT A FORMATION YOU WANT TO BE PERFORMING GLORIOUS BAYONET CHARGES WITH.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Deadline is on thursday, but do try to get it done by late wednesday, since then we're going into emergency mode and trying to get replacements for people who aren't being active at that point.

Feel free to ask for help doing formations or something if you're pressed for time. I'm sure someone will help you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, please remember to post FULL orders for your brigade, not just up to their first checkpoint.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:frogsiren:WARNING:frogsiren:

Your artillery is completely blocked from firing North because the hilltop is in their way. To achieve the effect you want, line up your infantry on the lower altitude slope North, and place your artillery on the hilltop. Also, your brigade is a reserve brigade. You do not have 15 infantry chits.

Please read Trin's rules posts, and, in particular, the OP.

Your engineer should be laying down barbed wire. To do this, you need to A) actually order him to place barbed wire and B) have him run up to farms to grab some once his supply runs out.

Also, lenoon, did you follow the join link for roll20? I can't find you on the list of players, and because of how roll20 works, I need to GM you to allow you play around with maps, arrows, and chits.
Found you.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 15, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
FELLOW DEFENDERS OF FRANCE

WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.

Brigade commanders who don't post at least a general "head that-a-way" set of orders for their brigade soon will be replaced.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rumors that General Arbite has been shot for desertion have been greatly exaggerated. He was merely transferred to Guyana via boat through several German submarine patrol zones.

:frogsiren: 120th Reserve Brigade can now be claimed by a staff officer! :frogsiren:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I apologize for not posting more about my thoughts and analysis of the situation, but my hands are quite full.

For further information about the nature of my duties, please read the following article.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

You put your artillery in the town. Artillery can't shoot out of towns. I would like to politely ask you to read the rules, General Lenoon.

You might also want to consider slightly altering the placement of the MG, as it 's blocking your artillery lines of fire somawhat dude to being on the hilltop

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arbite posted:

I'm very sorry, life has gotten crazy all of a sudden, I must resign my commission with the 120th. Bonne chance, mon amis.

Real life is more important that internet pixelmans. Best of luck.

:frogsiren:Staff officers, please claim the 120th Reserve Brigade:frogsiren:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

Trin Tragula posted:

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

Trin Tragula posted:

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

Trin Tragula posted:

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

Trin Tragula posted:

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Trin Tragula posted:

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:frogsiren:

4th Corps orders

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*starts rereading everyone's orders*
*glances over xteneth's post*
*does a double take*

*in a very delayed OH poo poo moment*

Wait, wait, wait, wait, I don't remember you making a map on Roll20 that involved going in marching formation into shooting range of Saint Croissant. I thought you were unpacking on the crossroads?

Uh, here's to hoping that the Boche deployed far to the NW, because, uh... :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Unexpected.

I regret my caution to some degree, we could have smacked them hard in the flank. But, still, they're being incredibly reckless here, and will probably pay for it.

As soon as I am notified about what our Hobbiton crew can see, I am ordering Lenoon's brigade to cut off their NE roads and communications.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

Much depends on how the 55th execute their orders, and what the German autoresponses will be. If the 55th 'spot' an enemy and go into defensive position and freeze up, it's going to tie up our artillery doing little of use for a while. But if they deploy for their planned attack on Baguette and no German lunatic has standing orders to bayonet charge anything that looks at him funny, this could be a brutal pounding for the Germans as guns that were meant to fire on Baguette instead turn on the German formations and give them hell from just outside machine gun range.

Eh. They're given a combat formation, into which they'll deploy as the "defend" unless Trin is feeling especially malicious wrt interpreting orders and keeps them in a block. I'm mostly worried our artillery will deploy juuuust outside of range due to poorly timed spotting.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Predictions:

6th Division mostly just sits there and does nothing because of overcaution, primarily to be blamed on me. Causes a lot of panic among the German team because of what could have been, but is a huge wasted opportunity. The Germans will redeploy into combat stance in safety, unless they're specifically ordered to march into Croissant from the East, no matter what happens. Maybe they'll bayonet charge into our defensive formations, but I doubt it. Hilarious for the observer thread, no doubt, either way.

22nd Division shells the crap out of anyone trying to to enter Croissant from the East, but fails to capitalize on the West because of a deployment error and incomplete orders.

We are at serious risk of losing the game if the enemy objective is Quatreprouts because we've got nothing on Dejeneur ridge. The cavalry debacle may prove to be a saving grace since it may be possible to send them to secure it.

We are in an advantageous position to move in NE, :sever: their telegraph, and block their roads.

Some of this is me looking at the entire board and thinking what to do, but I can send the reserves to flank them as soon as I'm notified of the sighting to the North. I'll have to wait for notification to arrive from the cavalry runner in order to tell them what to do because *don't know* what's going on there until they do.

I am open to suggestions about what is to be done. Please take into account 8-10 turns of delay plus orders-related clusterfuck between input and output here.

Loel posted:

German High Command at the moment

The thing is, they have good reasons to panic, but it's possible that we won't exploit it at all.

I will, however, greatly enjoy reading these turns in the observer thread one day. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

I have just had it pointed out to me that I used the wrong picture for my preferred battle deployment. Is there any point in me posting what I actually meant?

For the observer thread, yes.

For the battle, no.

• Locked thread