Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin, looking again, did I advance? If so did I not have artillery shots? I'm kind of surprised I wouldn't, all things considering. If I did advance, will I be advancing further (please tell me no).

I'd have thought that with the way this was written I'd stop to shoot it out with my artillery rather than pushing up:

If I start Operation Merde, I will fall back to the brown M by Toilette-Champs (wow this is getting to be pretty on the nose). I will deploy in battle order (the formation noted below with the fourth company on the left wing) pointed north. I will trade artillery fire until the 96th and 98th are established north of my position AND (not or) I am out of targets to engage with my artillery at which I will proceed to the previously noted target position for turn 5, stopping to trade artillery fire en route if relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If I can get any orders through for the 6th cav, I'm changing to engage with artillery when enemies are in range, and unless already in range do not attempt to close into range any farther than the minimum to put me into artillery range.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'll be writing up my orders in response to word from Barracuda in the morning. I'm concerned about Dejeuner getting outflanked to the west by enemies going for Quatreprouts, but I share Barracuda's concern about the rest of our flank getting beat up and enemies punching through to Graisse. I'll want some sleep before I try to set up the conditional to deal with enemies going for Quatrerprouts.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

6ᵉ Cavalerie

If my men's uncontrollable elan hasn't gotten the best of them, at the end of turn 10, my men are to grab breakfast. If they are forced to break off and can be reached by plans, they are to grab breakfast. In fact, in any circumstances other than it being before the end of turn 10 and they haven't broken off and still have enemies to shoot, as long as my men can have and act on these orders they are to go grab breakfast. If it is before turn 10, and the arty still has targets and we haven't broken off, if it is possible to do without provoking enemy fire the cavalry and MG should fall back to outside MG range of St. Croissant. Same goes for the arty (why are they up that far anyway, I blame my men's uncontrollable elan).

Grabbing breakfast is a simple plan. They are to go to La Oeuf and attempt to get in the following positions:

The cavalry are going to dismount and start entrenching, hopefully finding some potatoes to make a sort of hash with. The artillery will be echeloned so they just barely can shoot around the Bois de Bacon (see picture).

I'm going for as much visible strength as possible so hopefully they don't just push straight through me.

If (and only if) we have men/mg/artillery (any of the above) from other units still able to shoot the Croissant-Graisse road, the enemy has units on or west of the Veine-Haltebruit road and they do not have enemies south of the Croissant-Haltebruit road that would shoot my men in the face as they rushed in, the cavalry and MG are to move towards Bois de Bacon. The end goal for them are these positions:

If attempting to move towards those positions would take them into range of enemy firepower, they are to move to the base location for grabbing breakfast (the top picture) if they are east of that position or halt with the MG pointed away from the enemies if they are west of that position.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Actually protecting your commands integrity is important guys.

I have been.

..Oh wait you mean the men? What strange notions they teach you at divisional level.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well, back to swigging the champagne I confiscated from the arty when they missed their first salvo.

It's not bad but drat if that brigade drawing up against me isn't terrifying.

Also I agree on St. Croissant. We should be pounding the outskirts with artillery.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event that they broke things down casewise like we did, they decided that they'd be able to get a strong setup in and around croissant and compel us to attack it given their better roads.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Looking at the disposition I'm wondering if they didn't figure that if we came from where we did they'd be nice and concentrated and they got caught off guard by how painful it is shifting formation under fire. It also looks like they're in a worse position to weather the bayonet point brigades getting shredded.

Also I am so profoundly screwed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I retreat at the end of turn ten, that's either going to be just in the nick of time or right as I get utterly plastered.

Here's hoping.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You might want to protect the guns a bit from enemy infantry by spacing out bricks of them with infantry just to mess with targeting priority. Maybe two companies between groups of 3 cannons.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Reshuffling chits that need to be stationary to fire while the enemy poses a risk of entering their range at any time. Yup. That's what we should be doing. :v:

Got it when I asked him, it made sense the way he did it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Right now the biggest headache for the French command seems to resolve around just how far bicycles can actually move.

Yeah, that's got the potential to cause a big problem for my horse riders. As long as they get out cleanly though, I should be a decent stumbling block. And if we get infantry into the woods and they can entrench, we'll be able to block them solidly, it's just a matter of whether we can get croissant.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I understand your reasoning, but 97th brigade has perfectly good scouting capabilities, and we don't actually need to send them with unconditional orders to guard Dejeuner south.

As things stand, if there is no boche attack in Bois de Bacon, the 97th's infantry is not going to do anything to support our defense or offense until a runner fetches them. By some rough math, that's 3 turns of runner travel, and another 3 of 97th's movement, if we were in dire need of reinforcements at Clemenceau.

And if Quatreprouts is their equivalent of our stretch objective, they're something that can actually properly repel fast units and maybe even some heavier attacks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Our reply, as provided with the help of our Boche-speaking friend from Russia, Gogol Translatin:

Q: Wie können Sie sagen, die Polnischen wurden im Weltraum? A: Der große Wagen fehlt seinen Rädern.

For those of us who are most certainly loyal sons of France from Alsace and not the horrorshow that is renamed ElsaB (may the eszett's perfidious blight be erased soon, I can't even bear to write it), in a language we all speak?

(Google can translate words, maybe even sentences, but not jokes)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 21, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Hm... Well, we took more losses than the Germans these last couple of turns, which is not good.

Yeah, the good news that our dead are outnumbered by the perfidious Boche is tempered by the fact that our living are outnumbered with them and we're really falling back on our guns (I was right about our glorious 75s a long time ago).

Loel posted:

What this suggests to me is that their objective is on our western flank - Haltebruit, Quatrepolis, or Graisse. They've been focused on the southwest since the opening, no matter what we've put in the way. Meanwhile, their eastern portion isn't in a position to support that attack, while they can continue pressing us. As such, the above map is their expected course of action.

I'd agree, the appearance of their initial marching order was two parallel lines down the bouclecourt and nainville roads, which suggests a real focus on the middle and down towards the southwest. By way of analogy, their bicycle troops are as if I'd gone to grab Croissant, backed off to Dejeuner, and then gone to loop south of La Sanglant Femme en route to Fabileimpot. Considering Faibleimpot as our objective, this overall maneuver would make total sense. I'm guessing quatreprouts and we got me onto dejeuner in the exact nick of time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

if they survive contact with 6e, which seems unlikely.

I will hopefully shred them before they are faced with the indignity of being doused in what I understand is the "crème anglaise". I fear that St Croissant will be filled with wurst and doused with it though. Sounds like an American breakfast sandwich. God truly is dead.

But I will have my revenge against the perfidious bicycle boche.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them men :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Cavalry Brigade

I will continue with the previous orders to stay in these positions:

If none of my cavalry or mg are in range to shoot at enemies and are close enough for enemy artillery to shoot them (and if I can't get that condition, if any artillery gets closer to them than the current location of the guns west of Bois de Gooneville), they are to fall back even with the horse arty, like so:

Edited note: The artillery are not to move to the positions in this picture. I misremembered how they're set up. I don't have the ability to fix the picture right now.

(Basically I want to make sure I don't get my cav/mg picked off and my guns forced to run by morale checks. If anyone sees anything I'm overlooking, I'd be obliged.)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Please don't move your artillery chits just to make them look prettier on the map. (Yes, yes, I know we're French :v:) That's a turn spent not shooting the enemy. Moving your infantry is fine, though.

Thanks for pointing out that that's unclear, fixed as best as I can right now. (I had to recreate the position on a different map and forgot how I had them ordered).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yes but have it be delayed to when they get on the field.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Thump! posted:

Got it. *pretends to rev bicycle*

You're lucky I'm retreating.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Guns are lost, brigade likely routed.

I am not routing, I am charging after my men!

Get back here or I'll shoot you like the bicyclists!

(I have no real expectations of actually being able to rally the men, but I'll throw together orders for if I do)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

6th Brigade orders

pre:
To the ladies and women of France, Morituri te Salutant!

It has been an honor, please send a rose to the ladies of Paris and burn my black book.
See previous post because editing pictures isn't easy. If they get into Graisse before the enemy, set up the cavalry in the outskirts on the north side, with the MG behind them for the range bonus.

my dad posted:

Could someone please draw orders for the cavalry in the next 25 minutes? Just an arrow pointing at Graisse with EN AVANT! written next to it or something

Thanks. My graphics card broke. Not a happy camper.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 25, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

They bode well for our choice of direction, I think.

Trin Tragula posted:

Turn 21: 1700
German initiative

The BEF, pushing hard, is nearly within sight of Faibleimpot.

Quatreprouts? Graisse?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Your machine-guns open up again; one kill, one suppression this time.

Am I using my command staff on the front line for a range boost for the MG? If so I (and the ladies of France) approve, and should I survive to leave, I will probably need a bodyguard to dig me out from under the piles of garters.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dispatches from the Roll20:

We were discussing the possibility that the Germans need to capture their objectives before a fixed turn when reinforcements arrive.

It would be very Moltke, and the Boche is nothing but a Moltke Crew. :v:

Also it would be a bad thing because we're in a good place if they need to send a runner back, but less so if they just need to have men in St. Croissant and a stretch goal town.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

How am I still alive, and why am I enthusiastically signing up for this proposal?

Oh it's because I'm still bleary eyed. No, I keep my horse.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 26, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

So, the enemy is on the hill overlooking the objective, and night is about to fall. What do they do?

Option 1. Entrench in place. They are out of the range of our guns, and they expect a night attack.

Option 2: Night movement followed by consolidation. They move away from us, and set up for a dawn attack.

Option 3: Night zerg-rush. High casualties, very aggressive, no thought for coordination or safety.

How do we determine which one we are facing, and what is our response?

The way they've been moving the arty up looks like they expect to be advancing under cover of the artillery fire, and they've been pushing hard. I'd expect a hard rush to try and get through before we can react. They have 6 turns to do so. Six turns ago we had men on La Oeuf.

Do we think they're in a position to have gotten orders that were written with the benefit of knowledge of the BEF? Do we expect them to leave much infantry behind to guard the guns?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 26, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

So, lets say their orders are
A) Arty get deployed to the elevated terrain
B) infantry advances on the city with covering fire

:siren: Do we we think they will advance at night? :siren:

Last turn was 21, night is between 27 and 28. Do they need to advance at night? The arty is already in position to cover their advance. Maybe one more to let it unlimber or maybe unlimber it as the infantry advances, but there's still a good bit of time in hand to charge down unless I'm badly misremembering movement rates (I am glorious cavalry, this is possible).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

The big question here is quite simple: Do we redirect BEF or do we let them proceed?

What will they do in each case, and do we need to change their orders so they react better, and if so, how do we change the orders?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BEF has three batteries that should be able to have good fire arcs from the treeline. We could also hold the cav behind for a turn to see if the infantry leaves the guns unguarded and try for them. I think we need the infantry to stop enemy infantry.

(also incidentally I was really hoping the BEF might have more MGs).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

The infantry is stationary. They are also badly hosed for command rolls. They were expecting us to attack from the East, not from the South.

I'm thinking they might have orders to wait for the guns and then resume the advance. Or does the suppression and bayonet fight mean they wouldn't have the orders?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

I still get a chuckle thinking about it :D

Can't you picture the memoirs....

I have confiscated all writing materials from my men, I caught one writing some truly dreadful angsty poetry.

Wait one second...

That lipstick is a memento, trooper! Unhand it this moment!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Does anyone know if the smaller howitzers need time to set up?

Because 2 of our cav chits can rush 2 howitzers, and have the slope protect them from the infantry and the machine guns.

Oh right. So we can.

The 10.5s moved last turn, so they wouldn't have had time to unlimber, and I'd be mighty disappointed to learn that Boche perfidy extends to 10.5s that can be moved while limbered when our forces can't even manage it for an 84.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Orders to the 6e Cavalry

The continually updating last will and testament of General Dixième:

The cavalry and HQ are to charge those two artillery. The MG is to do whatever it can to fire in support of the charge. If I can avoid enemy MG fire by swinging farther West, the cav are to do so, however the charge is paramount. We must reach the guns. If, inexplicably, we survive, we are to attack any enemy artillery that can be reached without entering MG fields of fire, any artillery left unlimbered and any artillery left, in that order. If none of those apply, we will charge the 97th's target if it's charging/charged. If somehow we run out of enemies before men, I will join in any friendly unit's charge on Quatreprouts but will not launch the first attack on Quatreprouts or enter MG range of Quatreprouts before friendlies do so.

If the MG cannot fire this turn it is to move to the suburbs if that gives it a clear field of fire. If the suburbs don't give line of sight on any enemy targets, then the MG is to move with the 97th and support it by shooting its targets until it runs out of targets. If somehow the 97th ceases to be a viable combat unit, it is to join the BEF or closest friendly brigade if possible and support them. If it can join the reserve cavalry at any time and the rest of the 6e is gone, it is to do so.

Tell my mistresses that of them all, war is the only one I do not love or cherish.

Edited: changed MG orders

Edited: changed orders in case we somehow last through the battle for Dejeuner.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Your MGs can't shoot anything if they don't have contact with a chit outside of town. rip

Yeah. I don't think there's anything to be done about that except maybe to specify that they should move to the outskirts and fire until dead or out of targets before joining with the 96th or whatever the closest friendly brigade is.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

sullat posted:

They should be fine as long as they are touching the edge of the town, right?

I think that's going to cost me a turn of firing on the charge. C'est la mort.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I've edited my orders with notes for what to do if we survive Dejeuner and better orders for the MG.

xthetenth posted:

Orders to the 6e Cavalry

The continually updating last will and testament of General Dixième:

The cavalry and HQ are to charge those two artillery. The MG is to do whatever it can to fire in support of the charge. If I can avoid enemy MG fire by swinging farther West, the cav are to do so, however the charge is paramount. We must reach the guns. If, inexplicably, we survive, we are to attack any enemy artillery that can be reached without entering MG fields of fire, any artillery left unlimbered and any artillery left, in that order. If none of those apply, we will charge the 97th's target if it's charging/charged. If somehow we run out of enemies before men, I will join in any friendly unit's charge on Quatreprouts but will not launch the first attack on Quatreprouts or enter MG range of Quatreprouts before friendlies do so.

If the MG cannot fire this turn it is to move to the suburbs if that gives it a clear field of fire. If the suburbs don't give line of sight on any enemy targets, then the MG is to move with the 97th and support it by shooting its targets until it runs out of targets. If somehow the 97th ceases to be a viable combat unit, it is to join the BEF or closest friendly brigade if possible and support them. If it can join the reserve cavalry at any time and the rest of the 6e is gone, it is to do so.

Tell my mistresses that of them all, war is the only one I do not love or cherish.

Edited: changed MG orders

Edited: changed orders in case we somehow last through the battle for Dejeuner.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

lenoon posted:

We await!

We who are about to die would like to schedule drinks with you at a convenient time and place of your choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt/dynasty warriors crossover confirmed?

my dad posted:

By the way, I'd just like to remind everyone that the next set of turns will be followed by nightfall. Be prepared to make very long-term plans.

Last order was my last will and testament and now you want very long term plans? :v:

• Locked thread