Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ikasuhito should basically stay where he is to anchor my projected line, everyone else should fall back on it if they survive, then we have sort of a position. Mid-term plan we shuffle 78bde around a bit but that's not as critical as the other stuff rn.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We have arranged for your uphill charge to conveniently take place right outside, and in fact moving towards, our very own deployment zone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Problem is that my plan above involved Ikasuhitos bde, which I have been informed in R20 is for all intents and purposes irrevocably set to charge to its doom, and if I put one of my bdes into its position in the defensive line I'm not sure I can cover enough ground to include the artillery park. Maybe if I order 78ths infantry into the position Ikasuhito is abandoning to get mulched, or if I thin the lines?

e: yeah, I'm retasking the runner intended for Tias to move Perestroika into the gap, his infantry seems underused and he should be able to manhandle the guns into slightly better positions too while he's at it without relimbering them, gotta recheck those rules though.

e: our position has a distinctly Custer at Little Big Horn vibe to it rn

e: heavy guns can't move without limbering so that's bad

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 18, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

slightly less NONFINAL ORDERS, feedback welcome

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde

76bde:
Advance into a line parallel to the Nainville-Baguette road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Keep your right on Baguette's NW corner.

77bde:
Move into position on 76bde's left flank in a north-southerly orientation, ie partially up onto Pasteur Ridge.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

Then I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to 78bde, which is to take up position between StC and Baguette.

7th Jäger will have to do without orders for the time being

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

afaik we are all still limbered up

like this but fewer english people

Thank Gott for small mercies

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 18, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'd also say infantry would be most effective here. We mostly need bodies to shove into the line to help stabilise the whole thing and prevent a breakthrough. Some cav in addition to that for sweet flanking could come in nice, but might be more of a gimmick at this stage.

Also somebody make sure to piss in that general's wine for that terrible bit of non-intelligence about the French coming in from the south.

Feeling a lil defeatist because my first impulse is "let's not drag more innocent fellow Pixelmans down with us"

We could have them come in line abreast facing south between Bouclecourt and Forêt de Vieux? Or is it not possible to have them enter the map in battle order?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How's this?

quote:

:siren: ORDERS, 43D :siren:

The Kaiser has suffered a setback. Remaining calm is our patriotic duty.

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde asap

76bde:
Advance into an eastwards-facing (sic) line parallel to the St Croissant-Nainville road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Center your line on Ferme de Beurre.

77bde:
Move into position in the described line on 76bde's left flank. Center your line on Pasteur ridge.

I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to
78bde, which is to take up position between StC and Ferme de Beurre, closing the gap between 76bde and 79bde. 79bde is exposed on its left, so be sure to deploy far enough forward to protect their flank.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

7th Jäger will have to do without orders for the time being and my thoughts are with them.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Be sure to give these poor guys order to deploy into battle line first thing. Does someone have a better idea for using them other than the uninspired choice of having them come in line abreast facing south between Bouclecourt and Forêt de Vieux and have them extend HEGEL's line?

I will go offline for partaying purposes 80 minutes from now.

e: do we need something on the Western flank or is them walking a bde around St Croissant unlikely?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Official History of 43rd Division in the Great War

It was at this tense moment, with the fate of III Corps hanging precariously in the balance, that Adalbert von Lauslecker (pictured below) chose to retire to the yard of the Bouclecourt village teacher's house with his comfy robe and pipe for some cacti and chill.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh god.

We need to do something about our east, all their guns are there and it's being held in large part by that reserve bde that has no guns.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin said he'd post about runners tomorrow so then I'll know what I have to work with. Then I'll have to look at what I have to get done with what I have to work with. I gotta get 78bde's guns online and there seems to be a French brigade sorta sidling towards QP so it might no longer be as straightforward as just rushing your guys into there.

e: Trin, the updates are legit bumming me out IRL so in terms of crafting atmosphere your narrative is on loving point.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 19, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah putting the reserves under 19D now that its HQ is safe seems like the obvious move.

Gonna be funny when I randomly eat it in my now extremely forward-deployed HQ. I really kinda panicked when I ordered that move, bad decision in retrospect.

Could Perestroika / 78bde and Crazycryodude / 76bde take a look at the map in the roll20 and confirm that the green dot units are indeed 76bde's and the ones with the little man on them are indeed 78bde's? I think there's some weirdness going on. We gotta get the heavy guns into action - I utterly bungled this - and take pressure off 79bde.

HEGEL, that's good.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 20, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Great, thanks! Now to find a way to safely extricate my dudes from their without getting shot in the back a lot.

You've come to the wrong division if you value doing things safely :getin:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm having a productive chat rn with Tevery in the roll20, drop by if you have the time.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Commander of Jäger bn is probationed again, gotta love that light infantry fighting spirit

e: I have no runners so lemme just lend my spiritual support to III Corps commanding general's plan and pretend I went off to look for cacti again.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 21, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Preemptive Oh God

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How does

work?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was convinced that the last runners post stated that I had none but what's one more oopsie at this point. I'll post more substantially after work. I can't believe that we're catching up in terms of casualties, but I guess that's just the French finally routing too.

e: I'll just make a list of orders in descending order of priority for next time and the runners can grab them as they arrive at my HQ.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 22, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, (slightly) fightin' 43rd, for the use of: :siren:

1st runner goes to 77th, to withdraw into a defensive position covering towards the south and east between eastern StC and eastern Ferme de Confit.

2nd runner goes to 5th brigade, ordering them to withdraw to a position to the east of Ferme de Confit. This runner is to be canceled if the brigade has switched to 19D by this time.

3rd runner goes to 78th, to advance into Brioche via a northerly route (through Bois de Gooneville), taking up defensive positions facing south, taking care to cover as much as possible of the northern face of Oeuf with their guns without overexposing their infantry.

4th runner goes to 79th, to reshuffle defensive positions as needed, taking care to keep in mind 77ths planned position when positioning their guns.

5th runner goes to 7th Jäger, to withdraw to the northwest of Brioche.

6th runner goes to 4th brigade, to withdraw to an eastwards-facing position on the Bouclecourt-StC road where it crosses Pasteur ridge. This runner is to be cancelled if the unit has in the meantime switched to 19D or died.

76th holds pending 78ths arrival.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 22, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I agree that troops east of StC are doing nothing for us and I have given orders to collapse the position to a perimeter around StC. When 76 and 78 are in place we can consider a push south if force ratio looks favorable. I'm hoping that the French have roughly symmetrical objectives, ie have StC as a objective too, plus one in the NW corner, and their early cav rush on StC seems to partially support that. So they'd have to take the city or we'd be ahead.

I'm worried about them being able to get in reinforcements proportional to ours and would therefore like to hold off further attacks until we have eyes on their forces.

I have changed the orders posted above after consultation with Corps command; 77th stays around StC and 78th joins 76th in giving Dejeuner the sideeye.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 22, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's nothing much left in the East that we want to have or even want to shoot at, I think we can abandon it. Once we have reemplaced we can threaten our final objective while still having a decent force at StC.

e: here's a scary thought, maybe their objective is Bouclecourt, but the disposition of their visible forces seems to rather suggest something to the west

e: Steinrokkan, be sure to withdraw that reserve brigade east of StC or it'll look awfully lonely

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 22, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Their current dispositions imply an objective to the west, although it might only be to deny our move there, plus maybe an unwillingness to give up StC completely - that Clemenceau position. Unless they just got overexcited at their initial successes StC almost certainly is their objective, they tried to rush it with that cav bde and then delivered an all-out push at it. In which case we would look okayish right now if we can continue to preserve our forces and our position at StC.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You're right, it says begins the process. In that case I'd have to fit a runner to those guys in somehow, we really want to keep them. Trin, are the reserves under my command right now? Is there a timeline for the transfer, ie can I rely on Steinrokkan being able to send a runner there during the next update?

I'm nightmaring about two brigades of frenchmen charging north from the reverse slope of Dejeuner catching us with our pants down.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 22, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I put in contingency runners for 4th and 5th, to be cancelled if the units have switched to 19th by that time.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Would you want me to orient the positions/fields of fire further towards the east or west of Brioche? The southwestern edge of Bois de Gooneville looks like a decent position for the 15cms, but that wouldn't be very useful if the plan is for the 76th to keep holding their current position anyways.

Assume a line that includes 76th, you advance or hold together. So westward-biased deployment starting at about that westernmost 76bde 7.7cm.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh boy, looks like this update is going to be a lot more exciting than expected. Goonspeed to us.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

Feeling increasingly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wcK6qvCqI&t=25s

e:

Perestroika posted:

Pretty sure this is me on the battlefield right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaU_VpMu0cE

Sorry about the impending

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 23, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We need to talk about our horrible haphazard arse-over-teakettle charging problem

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can we send the French a runner telling them that we wanna call it a draw? And for gently caress's sake let our reservepixels chill in the rear echelon. This is seriously getting to me IRL.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, 43D

Descending order of priority as per the new protocol.

5bde
If advanced upon by inferior enemy forces, or enemy artillery moves by, ambush.
If StC comes under heavy enemy attack, move to assist.
If, upon completion of the trenches being constructed for you between 77bde and 79bde, no significant enemy forces are visible to your east, retreat and occupy those trenches.

76bde
After currently engaged French forces are destroyed, advance on ObjQ to take the city.

78bde
After currently engaged French forces are destroyed, entrench on Oeuf to put your guns on ObjQ.

79bde
Hold and fortify StC, making arrangements to change your dispositions as needed. Redeploy cavalry to the Bois de Gooneville area.

4bde
Take up screening position on the western edge of Bois de Gooneville

77bde
Hold position, anchor line.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you think we got into Quatreprouts before they got into their objective up north? Or is that missing brigade up north just tasked to cut our phone lines? So many questions.

:siren: Orders, 43D in descending order of priority

77bde to move west to Bois de Gooneville, then south in battle order to reinforce 78bde's position.

78bde to take up defensive position on Dejeuner outside Franctireur range, getting artillery ready to fire asap.

79bde to keep eyes peeled, buttocks clenched, powder dry etc.

76bde ditto

7Jäg to continue riding, shiny and chrome; secure Gates of Valhalla pending arrival of remaining 43D elements expected shortly

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 26, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm continuing to quietly link all orders posts but commanders should double-check in case Major Wedeln gets some wires crossed.

Major Wedeln is a Good Boy and will not get any wires crossed

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Införm them thät they are to sürrender or we shall taunt them a secönd time

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We're trying to move everything all over the place all at once with brigades too far apart to mutually support and with an unresponsive order system that makes this a total crapshoot. If every moving brigade had a stationary one in support that fired at charging enemy things would be different but we're grievously overstretched.

I think when we decided to charge out from StC with our tiny little force we basically charged out of the rule system. When we were simulating corps level operations the whole order constraints and hobbled brigadiers was amazing, but now that we're essentially simulating isolated platoons patrolling through the 'Nam with the enemy lurking on all sides and no semblance of lines every brigadier would have to be able to give orders on their own authority, and every turn, not every update.

With loss rates being as they are the scenario being open-ended basically dooms us to end like this, and the drip of reinforcements painfully drags it out. It should've been limited to x turns, or we should have self-limited and decided that Quatreprouts was beyond our ability to take and asked for some new mechanism to end the scenario. I'd prefer not to continue this particular battle because it is going to be derpy and random if we try to continue maneuvering, and boring if we hunker down.

Next scenario should have some sort of mechanism where a side can go ok this is as far as we get on our objectives list, hunkers down, and then when the other side also puts up this flag it ends. Plus no reinforcements.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 28, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Aphid, I agree with you that the mindset of constantly being on the move, never gathering forces to enjoy local superiority, always having our guns either limbering or unlimbering, and stretching ourselves thin in pursuit of a hold on an objective, no matter how frail that hold is going to be, is not doing us any favor, and I have been saying the same thing since before the first turn, in this thread and on Roll 20. I thought I may have been wrong after the previous update, when things went okayish, but this day's outcome is exactly what I've feared all along.

However, I think the rules work as intended. We made tactical and strategic mistakes, and the French just played the encounter at Dej much better.

The lesson is clear, and could have been learned much earlier: Do not try to go picking battles using a contingent just barely powerful enough to have a chance at winning. Do not hope that clever orders will make up for lack of raw force.

This is a better perspective than mine. I agree.

e: I think we've been playing for territory too much and it seems like the French are doing much better hitting our sad isolated troops.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 28, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Sandman posted:

Yeah, in the light of day and some sleep, I was a bit accusatory and overly salty there, for which I apologize.

It's just immensely frustrating that even when we finally succeed at something, it's instantly undone during the next orders pulse when we flub every roll and the French succeed on all of theirs.

Credit to the French, they've outplayed us since before the first turn, because it's pretty clear they've been a lot better at knowing how to set up their units and word their orders to actually accomplish their goals. And no, that's not backhanded praise; they're just flat better than us at playing this game, on top of any superiority at tactical or strategic planning.

We made three mistakes. The first was tunnel visioning in on StC and forgetting flank security, which cost us our realistic shot at Quatreprouts. The second was splitting our forces in the face of a superior enemy to hail mary something, anything into Q anyway. And we did not particularly "succeed" in that attempt, we traded about evenly with that French brigade when we had no forces left to lose and when the French had not called in their reserves yet, and put ourselves into an obviously untenable position in the process. Our third error, the attempt to keep both Q and Dejeuner, split our forces again and set us up for this, but this doesn't even particularly matter anymore beyond making things slightly easier for the French.

All that's left now is wait for the French forces, whose movements we cannot hinder with our sad remaining forces being tied down in defensive positions, set up prepared assaults on whatever objective they choose whenever they choose. Mopup. If Trin lets us run down the timer with this pair of twos of a hand that would be hilariously gamey and unfair to the French.

Nothing about this is due to French brilliance or dice rolls or order wording or GM shenanigans. We did this basically singlehandedly.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I can't seem to post a picture because Imgur seems to be broken ATM, but...

We are not going to win an attack. No need to throw good companies after bad. We should entrench St. C. and be satisfied with controlling a fat little objective after several major blunders. Also the French have a massive advantage in any maneuver-based combat, our only strength is that we still have some artillery, and can build cover for ourselves.

So, trying to cover what I've been thinking in words for now -
- HEGEL should not only stop, but also retreat towards St. C. and form a wedge covering its southern and western edges, protruding slightly to be able to see any troops sneaking through the woods (4 in). Artillery can be stationed between the town and her lines.
- Reinforcements should similarly form a wedge covering the south and flank at the eastern side.
- Sandman and Saros should remain where they are.
- There isn't too much space at the western edge of town to deploy more than one brigade effectively. And we do not want extended, exposed infantry lines without artillery support. We need a compact formation which can bear overwhelming fire from as many guns as possible against as many approaches as possible. A basically triangular formation with one side entirely protected by terrain is the best formation in attaining this objective.
- Positioning troops symmetrically around the town with a brigade hidden inside gives us an opportunity to shift units defensively relatively quickly should we need to do so. Alternatively part of the reinforcements can be positioned along a northern approach to St. C., where it would be well shielded, and at the same time able to picot whichever way we would need at a moment's notice.

Seconding this.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm honestly starting to suspect that they are mixing rage virus into the Roggenbrot at the Prussian military academy. Attacking an at least equal-sized entrenched enemy including emplaced guns forces an encounter that could not possibly be more stacked in the enemy's favor. It does the exact opposite of buying time.

We can get an artillery-heavy brigade and entrench that around StC, that would buy some time. We have lost like 20 more units than the enemy, that's not unsurmountable if we can get favorable exchange rates for a while by making them attack against entrenched forces. You're making it sound like we're outnumbered ten to one.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bde with arty is the only one that would be of any use. Coming in from as close to StC as possible.

• Locked thread