Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Why hadn't Perestroika's infantry moved to screen for the guns? He ordered that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All right.

Here is what we do.

HEY GAIL stops immediately, right there, right now.

A reinforcement brigade is about to enter the map. It will join her. We must schedule its movement to enter the area ca. around STC around the same time as

The Sandman, who will be moving to assist as well.

There are two things that can happen: either the French push us and we extract a blood toll out of them, or they push at Q. The former will be a misplay on their end. The latter will take them a few turns at least and let us regroup to take the hill once again.

Comments, questions, suggestions?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The last time they had to pop up anywhere on our phone map, so we may pick any place on the northern edge of the map. I was going to bring them up at Veine, incidentally.

We do need a commander for them! Speak up if you want it, people!

As for whether or not they can entrench there: it is true they can, which is why I am not suggesting we wait until morning! Either they will dig in there - and lose, since the runner is about to get to STC in the next two turns - or they will attack either STC or Q. This is why I am suggesting we gather forces around STC and then push onto Dej - they will either be coming to greet us by then and the advance will not be necessary, or the hill will be at least half empty as they rush to overwhelm Cryo (not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination! - they cannot fire into town with their artillery).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The point is: it will either not be an attack because there will be no-one on the hill, or it will not be an attack because they will be gunning for where we are right now.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

So this is what I have been talking about, now as a dumb picture:

I think we are all in agreement that this is the best course of action, and this is the one we are going to follow. Here's hoping the storm comes at us, rather than the heroic defenders of Q.

What do you guys think our reinforcements should be?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Right, get the orders in. You've seen the plan, the new brigade will be the one with artillery in it, it will come in from the north, near Veine. If anyone wants to command it, speak up right now! It will be attached to the 19th Division.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

aphid_licker posted:

I've written about our problems before but I don't think we did that much wrong. We made two mistakes, too ambitious and badly structured initial advance and, uh, too ambitious and badly structured second advance. Short advance in battle order, take up defensive stance, appraise the situation, slowly evolve the position a bde or two at at time would have been smarter. Getting local superiority and hitting an opportune enemy formation, or hunkering down and letting them attack our emplaced formations would also have been more useful throughout than drawing long arrows halfway across the map, closing our eyes, and yelling banzaiii.

I don't think either of these is true, but the time for post mortems is not here yet in any event.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Sandman posted:

Just putting things in perspective here: if I've done the math right, we can only lose 18 more chits before we hit our current loss threshold and 22 before we hit our final post-reinforcement loss threshold. Cryo's brigade will account for twelve of those chits by itself when it's destroyed or routed off the field. Alternatively, mine will account for twelve chits when it's destroyed. If they kill both of our brigades, that's game.

Given that, I'm pulling back from Baguette at nightfall. Maybe that'll buy us enough time. Otherwise, they can push two or three brigades at me while doing whatever else they want, and we're done.

Also, if Jaguars gets routed out of Croissants, we should surrender, because retaking it will push us over our loss threshold even if we by some miracle succeed.

Number of times The Sandman has called for surrender so far this game: 3 at least by last count, unless we count specific lines, in which case it will probably go into double digits
Number of times the rest of the team combined has done so: 0

EDIT: I realise this is passive-aggressive as gently caress and I apologise, but please stop calling for us to throw in the towel, because we are not going to do that.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 1, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
We are definitely not out of this game just yet. Don't panic.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Jaguars! posted:

With no Casualties and hardly any daylight turns to worry about, we should at least make an attempt to recapture Q. Send the two healthy brigades there, have the small ones come in to defend St C, we don't need to defend the Bouclecourt road anymore bacause the Gooneville road is still a functioning line of communication.

There are two routes to Q we could use, we could go via la Oeuf, which will be opposed, or we could move to Haltebruit then immediatly due south, which will may be detected later and will have less people in the way.

Night movement will take a lot of time, so we could set an attack time, say 0500 and have both brigades move toward Q in a coordinated fashion. A late successful attack will work better than an early uncoordinated one and will give the french little time to react.

As I see it, it should be worthwhile, I think we should go big or go home.

I agree. But two brigades will not be enough. If we are indeed going to go big, we need to push with almost everything we've got.

Let's make a plan for it. Go through the woods, jump out and peekaboo those motherfuckers.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The defence plan is, I think, solid. Stein, aphid, please issue orders to see it fulfilled, with both of you exercising full discretion over it. My internet is acting up and I will be of limited use in helping you plan, unfortunately. If you see me, feel free to ask, but I can't promise I'll be able to appear on call.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, can we get a broader picture of our current deployments? I realise we can't see jack, but it would be sort of handy to have.

EDIT: also, can you tell us which phone lines from STC are currently usable? The road layout in the west makes it sort of confusing in light of the French movements in that area.

EDIT2: also, at what time will there be light?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am worried about an enemy flank from the north, via Bois de Gooneville. Can we do something about it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
True, but all it would take would be one brigade, maybe two to gently caress us up beyond our capacity to defend the town. And they've already had 8 turns to do it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Maybe extend Hegel's line a little bit to cover Bois, at least with a tripwire picket line?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I just realised something!

We can use Jaguars!'s engineers to dig jump-off trenches. That way, if we want to, we can attack in the morning from a much better position (and dissuade the French from pushing against us when they see the "hellfortress" in front of them). What do you guys think? If you're in favour, we should get into Roll20 and draw some lines for them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I wonder how the victory/loss breakdown will shake out. I suppose it will in the end be something like a minor French victory, depending on how many reinforcements they called in.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
We won? lol

So glad for this to finally be over (not because it wasn't fun, but because it turns out I do not take stress well). I had like a dozen posts I wanted to send to the French, but never did because I do not do good under pressure.

I'll write out a post mortem later today.

EDIT: is the French thread open as well?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Good.

Everyone run into their thread and post gg no re

Like I promised.

This is my final order to you, valiant men of the victorious III Corps!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys, I brought presents!

I want to make these for the rest of the thread, but I'm out of ideas after providing for all the people who played in the previous round. If you have a nickname or a motto for your brigade, let me know! If you have a complaint to file, also let me know.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Or you might just tell me what you want me to put on it to save yourself the effort (and also to make sure they are Precisely Standardised).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

disjoe posted:

Can I get one? Pretty please? Of Max Hoffmann?

It can say "Someday, Staff Officers will be relevant" or "Voted highest words/intelligence ratio 2017" you can pick

Okay, but for obvious reasons staffers are at the very end of the priority totem pole.

sniper4625 posted:

My immediate efforts. Tevery you're still more than welcome to make one if you want, as long as it represents my fervent belief in artillery as the Queen of Battle. As mentioned I'll try to get to some of the requested number crunching so that I can be of use before the big guns show up.

I used a variety of fonts, but I recommend keeping to a 800x268 size as a standard. This way everyone has the same banner size, which is pleasing to the eye.

EDIT: and you were cunning enough to notice before I even told you!

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
"Generalleutnant Flesnolk, 4th Royal Saxon Division."

Fun fact: your division is differently numbered in the German army and the Saxon army, dohohoho

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've changed my mind and decided cavalry should have top priority, followed by requests. Infantry will get theirs when we are closer to them arriving on the field.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Can I actually get a full OOB and officer list? It's annoying having to chase it all over the thread.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Flesnolk posted:

It's here but it would be convenient to have it ITT. Also, your banner for me is wrong, I'm the 40th division apparently.

According to the German Army, yes. But the Saxon Army says you're number 4. That is A Thing.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Two more banners:

memes

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Alternative version: http://i.imgur.com/3w8ptkA.png

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Pardon the interruption:

I think this should be all the combat officers (bar whoever takes over for Hegel) - if I missed someone, or if there's a staff officer who wants a banner for some reason, let me know.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys! Sorry to interrupt, but everyone who does not have a banner and/or has an outdated banner, please quote this post.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

I also made one for Added Space, but Imgur somehow keeps removing it as soon as I upload it? So I made a new one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Added Space posted:

Why does the enemy keep recklessly charging me to get slaughtered? :psyduck:

That was actually pretty good, considering other things that could have gone wrong.

Hey, Tevery, any chance you could give me, like, a non-spoiler partial crop of the banners of the units I've managed to rout, like I've picked up the shredded remains? I want to paste them onto mine and then taunt the enemy.

I would have to ask Trin to tell me where it stands on spoiler rules. And also which unit(s) those were, since I have no idea. (I do have PMs now, so if he needs to contact me behind the scenes with it, it should be a bunch easier.)

• Locked thread