Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'd like to join as a staff officer. i've gotta go right now but i'll check back in later, can somebody post an ultra-convenient link to the roll20 while i'm gone? danke. tschüß~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

https://app.roll20.net/join/1997552/GbgsBw

It's also on page 1 just below Trin's posts so you can find it later :)

page 1 sounds super duper convenient thanks! nobody's there now though

i'll be around in ~21 hours, hopefully i don't just fall into a dead zone schedule and time zone wise

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

now that i've gained the awesome power of both rotating AND moving objects that i've created in roll20 (the chatlog has an extensive series of my observations during this personal journey) id like to volunteer for measurements and calculations department

i'm hoping to wait for trin's final authoritative collation of the rules before going through and figuring out exactly what can move/see/shoot/whatever how far. jaguars!' post was very helpful though

by way of further staff work, or maybe it's just figuring this poo poo out for myself, is this how the updates work out?

Trin Tragula posted:

TIME OF DAY

Daytime updates will be 8 turns in duration. Nighttime updates will be 16 turns. Each turn represents, as before, half an hour of real time.

The battle begins with Turn 1 at 8am, full daylight. Twilight is at 7pm, nightfall at 8pm, pre-dawn at 7am.

Where possible, please refer to turn numbers, not time of day.

day updates are 4 hours long, night updates are 8 hours long. we'll refer to turns by numbers in our orders of course, but for a moment let's consider them by time:

first three updates: d (0800-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(d = 8 turns of day, d* = 6 turns of day, 2 of twilight)

repeating for the rest of the scenario: n (2000-0330), n! (0400-1130), d (1200-1530), d* (1600-1930)

(n = 16 turns of night, n! = 6 turns of night, 2 of pre-dawn, 8 day)

might be a good idea as we get into the rhythm of this scenario that we keep in mind where we are in relation to that 4 am update every day, where we watch the whole morning go by without being able to correct whatever horrors we've unleashed upon our men edit and women, like that lady in the serbian army and all the other ones who had to pull a mulan

am i messing any of that up?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 8, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im on it

tomorrow

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so with regard to measuring the distances in these images:

i've got this image with the on-road distances (measured 960 pixels between stops = 24", right?)

you can see that i started working on the off-road part, but i think i need to be finding a more optimal crossing point (where the roads are a multiple of 12"/480 px apart) rather than just following the arrow or else part of another turn gets wasted

i spent hours finding a free image editor that kept track of how long a multi-segmented line was

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Crazycryodude posted:

Going back on to a road doesn't waste the remainder of the turn's movement or anything, I don't quite get why we need to find the sweetspot where it's a multiple of 12 inches between roads.

because i misunderstood, i guess - so there's no one-turn time off for getting back on a road? i did just make this screenshot of the spot where the two roads are exactly 480 pixels or 12" apart, so i might as well :justpost:

that crossing is more than 3 turns from the southern entrance on the right side of the map, but within 2 turns of road-marching distance to the southernmost ford, for whatever that might be worth. nothing, i suppose

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Crazycryodude posted:

There is no "lose a turn for getting on/off a road". Sorry we had you waste a bunch of time on that...

it's all in the service of me figuring out how the game works, i don't mind the time

the rule's still not entirely clear to me, though. does trin just make a vague estimate of what fraction of the turn a marching brigade spent on a road when he decides how far they get in a turn?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

here's a map of the distances by road between board edges, intersections, bridges, and fords. also the lengths of bridges

that's not to say that all movements will follow these numbers exactly, since it's up to trin in the end (and also rounding), but maybe it'll be useful for planning idk

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

there are something like 96" of road (including bridge) between the edge of the map and steth, so 4 turns is basically the shortest mathematically possible time - you can decide what that's worth for yourself. i think '4 and a bit' i's in line with what people were eyeballing before, and i think they were assuming the 24" a turn of movement that would make the math work

but im the person who made both of the maps so i guess i should let someone else check the work if they wanna

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

from Jaguars!' helpful rules post, which he linked just a few posts ago, i think i see an incorrect link. both of the following links go to the movement post:

Jaguars! posted:

If you're a new player, scrub up on the basic rules, especially if you are on the field straight away. Here are trin's tutorial posts from the previous game:

Movement, cover and spotting

Firing and combat (some stuff about engineers, but some of the rules on engineers have changed recently)

i believe that this is the firing and combat post which the second link should link to: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=469265445

hope this helps :unsmith:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

Here, I'm marking down the major roads on the enemy's side of the map. Be it infantry, cavalry, Mark V landships, whatever, see if you can figure out how long it would take forces starting from these points to get to Steth and CC:

hey just for the sake of posting and posterity, let me throw down the approximate road inches separating A, B, and C on this map from the Northern intersection with CC, Steth, and the Southern CC intersection, just by looking at my map from yesterday and performing the technique that the boys at the old war college used to call addition

code:
  N   St  So 
A 190 160 178
B 143 113 83 
C 94  116 134

C   A   B  
N  94  190 143
St 116 160 113 
So 134 178 83 
arguably those should be rounded to the tens place, but just don't take the exact numbers too seriously. maybe they'll be useful as ratios, in comparison to each other

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 10, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

let's not forget that we're

invading
loving
belgium

here.

this is corps hq, your orders are as follows: :siren: MAKE SAROS' PLAN WORK :siren:. it's like 20 inches above this post

edit: what else does the corps have to do? the airplane? we get one a day (refreshes at 0800?), and we've got another full update's worth of 8 day turns followed by a 6 day 2 twilight update before this day is over, right?

would the plane be better used in those phases? we can make that decision when we have a corps commander. it won't be me. while you're :siren:MAKING SAROS' PLAN WORK:siren: you can talk about who gets to wear the big ribbon if you want, i don't care. i just do the numbers around here

edit: i hope this doesn't seem rude; i just don't want there to be any confusion. i'm suggesting that these recent events have not changed the situation, and everybody should continue to make progress on their planning from yesterday

after all im just a staff officer and the generals are going to wake up soon

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 10, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we keep hearing warnings not to take measurements and calculations too literally, so i wouldn't assume the brigade will reach its destination exactly on time

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll post a map with several notable firing ranges marked from all the major landmarks tonight. as our two on-map brigadiers put together their orders we can all discuss and finalize, practice our workflow for when we've got more to worry about. and then, as soon as ikasuhito and the sandman are ready i think but nobody would blame us for using our originally allotted time to give everything its due diligence, we can actually start this thing

i believe the deadline is all the way off on monday, so really let's consider sunday the latest possible. if we've got two sets of orders we think will hold up for 8 turns and every time zone's gotten a chance to chew them over, then i think we could pull the trigger early and see if trin and the other side are ready to go. but the first priority is making good orders, and the second priority is working through the process of doing so to prepare ourselves for the long grind

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm gonna not do that measurement post i said i'd do tonight because i'm drunk and lazy. i don't think anybody needs it right now anyway. i suspect it'd be a useful reference in the long run but the orders for the two brigades on the map are proceeding apace so i'll leave it alone for now

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i figured the euros should have a chance to raise the issue if they wanted, but at this point it seems like a fait accompli

so let's look at the next domino in that line, then. who's taking command of the saxon infantry division? and if that commander currently has another responsibility, who's taking over for them?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also i found out that the german term for the glorious oyster toadfish (Opsanus tau) is Austern-Krötenfisch. that sounds like a good aristocratic name although i imagine if i spoke more than zero german it immediately wouldn't sound that way any more. do saxons and bavarians use 'von' to signify aristocracy?

also ill do some fucken measurements today

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Is it too late to join the Germans as a non commanding staff officer?

it is not! you have now joined the germans as a non commanding staff officer.

did we make a new roll20 since the one linked on the first page of this thread?

also here's a google spreadsheet you can put your name on if you like
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fIiDlr98ikp7WbSQJMgn1QEUIer5UoWh-G0eEFAD_d8/edit#gid=0

wilkommen!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i just edited the spreadsheet to reflect the above. that's not meant to end discussion, if anybody wants to talk about who's commanding what please feel free and edit the spreadsheet yourself, or let me know and i'll do it

aphid_licker posted:

I have been speaking German for more than 30 years and von Austern-Krötenfisch is the most amazing name I've ever heard.

The "von" is used the same way in all of Germany.

nice~

according to the vague impression i've gotten german aristocrats have like a half dozen first names including maria for some reason so my rp name is now

Siegfried Hermann Maria Ferdinand Matthias von Austern-Krötenfisch

or something

still working on the map. i came up with a silly system for automating this

i use imagej to convert the image to binary, crop to the blob of cover in question, calculate a distance map, then apply the following code to pull the appropriate distance rings out of the distance map:
code:
if(abs(v-8*40)<10) v=999999; if(abs(v-12*40)<10) v=888888; if(abs(v-18*40)<10) v=777777; if(v<777777) v=0
and then i save that, load it up in gimp as a layer, and add it to a layer containing all the concentric rings, verifying the distances with the measure tool

then once i've got all the blobs ringed, i'll change the colors of the three rings using the color select tool

i should probably just get qgis or something and do a buffer, but whatever, if i ever find myself needing to use the NIH's favorite image editor for some reason i'll have a head start

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok so

Flesnolk posted:

Oh, speaking of traps! Staff officers, get us some number crunching on visual and weapon ranges from all the forests, especially Taillis Douche and Bois de Blob. Machine guns, rifles, artillery, we need to know how safe the crossings are if they have men waiting for us.

i'll start with firing ranges. working off of these bits of trin ruleposts:

Trin Tragula posted:

The base firing ranges are as follows.

quote:

Rifle Companies (infantry/cavalry): 8"
*Machine-Guns: 12" (but see below)
Mortars: 12"
Artillery: 18"

Machine Guns may fire through friendly units. If they are in a Wood or Trench and in base-to-base contact with an Infantry or Cavalry company; or in a Town and in base-to-base contact with a company in the Outskirts, their firing range is calculated from the company they are in contact with.

Trin Tragula posted:

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40".

so we've got 8" for rifles, 12" for unmodified machine guns* and mortars, 18" for direct and ordered artillery fire (and any other types that aren't indirect), and 40" for indirect artillery fire. Here's 8", 12", and 18" rings:

here's the map with all the forests and every city given 8", 12", and 16" rings around them:

i have it in bigger size but that's hard to upload, and i suspect you might want me to simplify the situation with the little cities around effyaders. i've got all the blobs' rings saved separately so i can remake the image pretty easy.

any thoughts? when we get rings you like, i can give somebody just the rings layer and they can put it on r20, if desired. if the rings are too thick i guess that'll take a little more time to fix

there's also the 40" indirect ranges and the 'billy bonus' MG story. let me know if you can think of a good way to depict that. the map above is definitely in need of simplification, not complication

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm gonna get on the indirect arty map shortly. as for billy bonus, i think i can make a larger point here:

the lines i draw are not gospel. trin has repeatedly and directly warned me not to take specific inch measurements as a 'this unit will get here when you think they will' guarantee, and i assume that extends to firing distances, at least to some degree.

in that spirit, if you want to defend against a 'billy bonus' enemy MG attacking you, please mentally or in-an-image-editor-or-roll20-ly add a standard chit's 50 pixels of width (1.25") to the 12" radius arcs on the map, and consider adding some safety margin if you can afford it (since you've got to balance against the possibility of your moves not getting you exactly where you want and such - your job isnt as easy as mine!). there's no need for an extra dashed and dotted 13.25" line on that atrocity of a map

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i found the 40" contours from each forest, town, farm, ford, bridge and major intersection in the map and it came out like this:

i've got sublayers. i'll figure out how to present it so it's readable tomorrow; a couple different pictures for the different categories of map element, different colors, whatever

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we may not have all our maps in our orders, but now we have some more range maps!! these are 40" ranges to the outer edges of the terrain feature in question (aside from fords and intersections, which are ~50-100px wide dot-ish blobs) and represent indirect artillery fire
forests

farms

and fords

available at full scale if needful

which leaves towns, roads, intersections, and bridges. i'll think about that later

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 12, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

If you are American, do not leave your post for the last day! There was the same sort of problem with trying to get some orders out five minutes before the deadline last time

quoting this for relevance

if sandman doesn't do anything in the next 12 hours should we just slap together an arrow for him? or a picture of the chits as he's described them? don't want to leave it 'till the day of the orders.

now i have a few questions about orders - haven't done this before so please correct my misunderstandings danke

at this point what are our conditionals for turns 9-16 - what happens if our orders roll doesn't go well in the next update for one or both brigades? if we don't see appreciable force before turn 16, where do we want to be? the infantry entering the map on turn 10 will probably be somewhere around halfway between stethoscope and the eastern river at turn 16, i believe.

i would especially like to have a contingency for if either of the forests on the western side of the fordable river turn out to be empty or nearly so, just in case we can't get new orders out after we find out, or the timing means we don't get the intel until turn 9

or do we already have that poo poo and i'm missing it?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

I think making orders for that far in advance is problematic. We know nothing about the situation then, so we run a risk of our orders interacting unfavorably with a reality that has turned out differently than we envisioned, and it's bad for player enjoyment to have to make reams of conditionals that mostly turn out useless.

we definitely can't have more than two or maybe three conditionals, i agree with that. trin will punish us if we violate it, and it's not fun anyway. i'm more asking, could we come up with a simple yes/no that would set us up as well as possible in the event of going 16 turns without new orders? like, 'if you see more than X enemy infantry and/or cavalry, set up this defense at line A; otherwise, drive off anybody you see and try to set up this other defense at line B'. understanding that it probably won't come into play, so it's not worth obsessing over

or do we think that sticking around where the current orders plant us is the safest option for the 16-turns-on-this-set-of-orders scenario?

i haven't played before so all this is more of a question than a suggestion

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 12, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh yeah, i forgot the details of who comes in when. we'll worry about that soon enough, though

OK :siren:here are the maps for the Sandman's orders:siren:. Flesnolk approved the images but i'd wait for him to approve the whole package before moving forward.

First, the orders:

The Sandman posted:

2nd Cavalry Orders

Enter the map in Marching Order along the northern road, then continue down the road and across the northern bridge. Remain on the northern road until you reach Stethoscope.

If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere, take up Battle Order inside the town, then deploy in Defensive Stance with the arse hortillery and one MG in the northwestern Outskirts, one MG in the western Outskirts, one MG in the northern outskirts, and the cavalry as well as my brigade HQ in town.

If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town, halt 14" from the Outskirts and change to Battle Order, then charge down the road into town on the next turn. After the town is taken and its defenders destroyed, take up positions as per the above orders.

Once in town, if an enemy formation closes within charging distance, the cavalry companies and my HQ are to charge them, pursue until the formation is destroyed or routed, then return to positions in the town.

Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy on Attack Stance 12" or less away: CHARGE THEM
When attacking the enemy: CHARGE THEM
When enemy breaks off or retreats: KEEP CHARGING THEM
Break off automatically when: NEVER

In all cases the march begins from the north as depicted in both arrow-maps below. the orders pose two conditions, the paragraphs beginning with "If...".

If the first condition is met ("If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere"), please follow this arrow in marching order all the way to stethoscope:

having done so, deploy in battle order as depicted in this image - i tried to throw the MGs and AH on the outskirts like he wanted:

/end of first condition

in the second condition ("If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town"), please follow this arrow, forming into battle order somewhere around the circle, which indicates the spot on the road 14" from stethoscope, and charging as the orders describe from there along the rest of the arrow:

once you're done doing that, take up the positions depicted in the deployment map for the first condition, above
/end of second condition

and do note that last paragraph in the orders about what to do if an enemy comes within charging distance - if you do that, return the victorious chits back to that same deployment

whenever you're moving on the roads, except in the case of that second condition, it's in marching formation

that seems like a pretty direct drawing up of his orders. hope this helps :unsmith:

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 13, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah, if somebody else doesn't do it then i'm gonna end up doing it again. i'd actually rather one of yall did it, though. if anybody else wants it they can have it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yup, it's good to type these things in both places :justpost:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so, do we have anybody here who defended a town with cavalry against a cavalry charge in the last round? or at least any one or two of those things? i'd love to hear some experience

the MGs and AH are NOT going to move, that much is clear. i don't think i'm supposed to be ordering individual chits to do individual things. so that leaves the question - to charge, or not to charge?

oh also, to dismount or not to dismount? is dismounting gonna be a really awesome thing where suddenly our cav are pouring rifle fire down, or will it be a really awesome thing where our cav get sabered to death while they're stuck in their stirrups?

so, charging and, if not charging, dismounting. are those the two questions i have for my brigade?

oh yeah, and what the gently caress should i do after the encounter with this brigade that just popped into view, i guess that's the bigger question

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

koolkevz666 posted:

If you dismount that costs you half you move so you go from 12" move to 6", your cav units then become infantry for all intents and purposes, if you want your inf to shoot they then can only move half again and while inf have a move of 8" I think realistically means they could only move 3" and shoot this turn. If that is enough to get them out of the town and into the outskirts then great, if not then it comes down to will they get charged on the first turn of movement. If yes, then its not good except to throw up meatshields to protect the MGs and artillery. if no then they can move another 4" the next turn and shoot the brit cavalry.

the big question in regards to charging is, will we be able to do the charging instead of being charged and will charging block our MGs and artillery from firing.

thanks, i wasn't picturing any of that, that helps me understand the relevant mechanics.

i'll plan to have the orders done tomorrow night. i'll keep chatting about it but i'm prepared to follow the current orders, obviously

i feel like we should have the advantage defending in a town; i hope people post more about the mechanics so i can understand whether we do or not

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Guys please don't charge out of this amazing position. Just look at that end of turn pic. The MGs are situated perfectly. It's perfect. The enemy have the choice of running away or dying. Tell everyone in the city to go to defend and bring up 3bde.

do you think the cavalry should be dismounted? so it's just infantry defending a town? do we have time?

disclaimer, i'll follow the orders saros gives in the end, but i'm interested in this line of argument

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if saros doesn't change his mind i'll draw up what he said - although if they do charge and our orders don't fire on turn 9 but do on turn 10, do we gently caress up our defense then?

i buy that dismounting isn't going to work and if saros does change his mind for sure the whole 'people in the town can't see out' thing is worth noting. is there a defensive advantage to being an unspotted chit when somebody charges into your town? or do you just get killed?

anyway i'll make a few maps in less than 24 hours

does ikasuhito have to give orders, or is it just 'try to kill the cars before they kill you, then if you're still alive just sit there and defend the south of steth'?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll have a draft up soon, i absolutely want it to go through tons of review before we consider it final

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, so just like somebody who's played before reading it and posting at least one word about it

thats all im hoping for

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Saros posted:

2 Cav Bde (Now commanded by OTF due to Sandman being AWOL):
1)Move the cavalry scattered about the town a max of 4'' to the western outskirts of Steth as originally ordered. (The 4'' is to keep the ability to rifle fire if the enemy bde moves into rifle range.)
2)For this move do not block the AH firing route and keep one Cav in contact with the northern MG and try not to block LoS to the east of said Cav unit so hopefully that MG can fire.
3)Once this move to the outskirts or as near as possible is complete check if the enemy Cav is within charge range of greater than 50% of our cavalry companies and if so charge them using the cavalry.
4)If the enemy is retreating they are to pursue to go after the enemy arse hortillery but stop before the Fords.

alright, here's my attempt to make these orders happen. please post at me about them so we can make them better. ill be around for a few hours then i'm out until after the deadline - i'll probably pop back in in like 11 hours but I won't have much time to do anything.

-----

====================== FINAL 2 Cav Bde Orders========================

OK first off, ALL machine guns and artillery: DO NOT MOVE ANYWHERE UNTIL FURTHER ORDERS. keep killing people if you can.

Now the cavalry. The rest of the post is in reference to the nine cavalry companies.

On Turn 9:

The HQ will move ALMOST like this, actually hang back from the western edge an inch or two extra, then stay there unless it becomes unsafe to remain. Please disregard its positioning and lack of an arrow in later images, and please hold it back an inch or two further east than the picture shows:

Firstly, the northernmost cavalry company, hereafter known as cute dog company, met a cute dog who thinks he's a horse, which is actually irrelevant now but i might as well note it. They need to Move to a spot where they're in both the outskirts of town and the Chemin Creux, but do not break base-to-base contact with the MG while you do so.

Also, the western company in Billy Bonus contact with the directly-westward-facing MG needs to stay where it is. So those two companies have their own thing going on.

As in this image from Saros:

That leaves seven companies. If you're already in the western outskirts, facing the BEF, stay there. Whoever can get into the outskirts without losing the ability to use rifle fire (less than 4" or less than 6", whichever applies), do it, and everybody else move just far enough to the west that you can still use rifle fire if needed. HOWEVER, don't jostle the MGs out of 'able to fire' status and don't block the AH's line of fire.

I've included a map of how i think that plays out below. Please understand that it's merely an indication of my thinking, as i know i don't have the right to make trin follow company-by-company arrows. i just think that my thoughts are conveyed more clearly if i draw it this way.

After those moves have occurred, the following conditional applies from this point - including this turn - until further orders are received i.e re-check it every turn if it hasn't already fired:

==BEGIN CONDITIONAL==
IF enemy cavalry is spotted within 12" of more than half of these companies THEN

the seven cavalry chits IMMEDIATELY CHARGE toward the enemy, along whatever arrow brings them most directly into combat. The idea is for the chits to spend one turn setting up as close to the outskirts as they can get, and then to charge, so unless the enemy is just not meeting this conditional these troops need to be charging on the second turn.

If the enemy retreats, follow them and try to kill their AHs, but don't cross the fords.

If new enemies appear within charging range, CHARGE them, but don't charge past the fords.

If no enemies are within charging range, move back into position in the outskirts of Stethoscope.
==END CONDITIONAL==

(all the MGs and artillery, and cute dog company, and that one cav company Billy Bonusing with the west-facing MG that i didn't name, are unaffected by this conditional. they remain in place and fire on any enemies they see.)

If the conditional doesn't fire this turn, the seven companies affected by the conditional use rifle fire from their positions if possible.

On Turn 10:

Cute dog company does not move at all, now that it's achieved spotting into the Chemin Creux while still maintaining Billy Bonusness and town outskirts protection, and continues shooting enemies when they see them and petting the cute dog, in that order of priority. Hold at all costs, you and your MG friends too.

That cav Billy Bonusing with the westward-facing MG also just sits there, helping its MG fire. DO NOT leave the MG in a position where it cannot fire out of the town!

The other seven companies are subject to the conditional above. If the conditional doesn't happen, do this:

Continue to move as far west in the town as possible and fill out any empty outskirts spaces, taking care to keep your ability to use rifle fire and to not mess with the MGs or AH as described above. If you're already in outskirts position, don't move, though. Everybody shoots people - rifle fire.

Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

Battle Order Formation:

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 15, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

nice orders. i'm taking that battle formation

it's been brought to my attention that my standing orders will have my guys charge at any number of enemies if they come within 12" of anyone, which negates the conditional that saros gave me. i'm about to go edit my standing orders to not contradict saros' orders. anybody think i should leave them so they contradict his orders?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so should i peel a cav off the charge to sit in that outskirts/CC spot, remaining in cover and giving us spotting down the sunken road, or is that not how i should read this part of trin's rulepost?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=470070022 posted:

On the right of the map is the Chemin Creux, a sunken road. A company located on the Chemin Creux has spotting and protective cover.

how much are we at risk of getting peopl coming down that road just like they came up it earlier? how much does that hurt the chances of winning the charge?

also i didn't realize we had some mounted engineers coming on turn 12, are we going to have them build trenches anywhere or anything?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, anybody see anything i should really change in my orders? i'm not going to try to put a company in place to spot down CC, in the end it wasn't in my orders

in like 9 hours i should be able to pop in and maybe make some changes real quick if desired, hopefully

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

great, thanks for that, i'll reword the conditionals for sure

if i had one of the charging guys stop at the northern CC/outskirts intersection and stick around instead of charging if he saw anything, would that be workable/worthwhile, do you think? just spotting for one turn, though, if the charge happens - and then possibly after they return from a charge, but probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah saros wanted me to keep it there but that doesn't seem like a huge contravention of my orders, really. the cost would be what, 2 turns, one moving, one emplacing the gun or whatever? and if they attack in that time with it unspotted we're hosed anyway, i guess.

i just edited the conditional to flow better, hopefully, and i actually did an expert photoshop of my image to get one company to that intersection of the outskirts and CC like i/whoever told me to do it, mossyfisk or you or someone, was thinking. but now i'm thinking we should just move the MG and cute dog cav

...would we get hosed by, like, our other MGs all having to stand up and move if one of them does?

the way my orders are now i'm assuming that if the cav that's supposed to spot up the CC spots something, it'll abandon the charge and fight the person it spotted. i guess i should say that. ok i just edited it in

edit: ok my thought for the night is, do people think it's a good idea to relocate the cute dog cavalry and its adjoining MG to the chemin creux-outskirts nexus? as is, i'll follow my orders but hopefully get spotting for at least one turn. if i'm ordered to change my orders ill do it

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread