Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mpv sucks poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pagancow posted:

Dolby digital calls for dynamic range normalization in smaller, non-full range speakers. VLC doesn't do this they just let you 200% distort the audio lol

sometimes the sounds too quiet

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pagancow posted:

also everybody be like "pagancow whats your thoughts on 21:9 whats your 21:9? tell me what u think about 21:9"

I finally was forced to work on one for a week.

1) its garbage for work, since menus go down, not left and right.
2) its garbage for games since most dont support the proper FOV + you're rendering pixels you don't need so your perf drops for very little benefit.
3) the PPIs on them are still low density, and look like 24" 1080P screens.
4) most content that is actually 2.35:1 doesn't fit in them because the black bars get encoded in 16:9 material so hope you enjoy looking at things in little windows.

you can zoom in with vlc media player

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pagancow posted:

Dell's UP3216Q UHD-1 monitor is like just 200 dollars more and it's such a better display over the 3014

thats a lot for a monitor that doesnt even have freesync

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

so nice of the Chinese to ensure minimal ghosts

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what do people use to listen to mp3s on their computers nowadays

foobar 2000

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

akadajet posted:

you should upgrade to the version that lets you maxxx out stereo

its disabled when you have headphones plugged in

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i feel safer screwing in a vga cable than just plugging in a usb 3 cable

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I read the first, second, and last pages. i still have the following question:

if i delete vlc what do i use? media player classic?

i seriously have no idea, i haven't looked at media player options outside VLC for what a decade?

mpv is the new hotness but it's really stupid. i haven't looked at any front ends to it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ya

p. sure its bad but i use it because i remember the buttons, it doesn't have a mess of an interface like vlc, but much like vlc it just happily plays whatever it gets

i dont know any of the buttons and scrolling is bound to scrubbing but its the default for my illegal hockey streaming app so whenever i brush my trackpad it fucks up the streaming and i have to restart it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Doc Block posted:

IDK how people can stand borderless monitors. Visual separation to reduce eye strain? Nah, who wants that? :downswords:

separation from what

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they can keep making the monitor bezels smaller and ill let them know when they are too narrow

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shaggar posted:

aspect ratio is critical

yeah

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its past 5:30 or so, so flux just turned my screen orange :baby:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i turned flux on at 8 am just because

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bloody posted:

lol if you dont just play on an emulator and render n64 games in hd

you can drop in the pcsx2 graphics dll into one of the psx emulators and play ffvii at 1080p. all the 3d stuff looks like its turbo phong shaded but the sprites are the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h4jtuOqhf0

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

n64 antialiasing

that guy is straight out of a far side comic

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they should cast shia lebeouf for young han solo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mebibytes forever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my lg monitor has an option to turn off the power led when it's getting a signal which is cool. i just checked and i have the brightness all the way down to zero which is odd, because i can still see what im typing.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my computers 64 bits

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

foobar 2000 and vlc

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hdr sounds interesting for video games and terrible for any other media which means its going nowhere. physx card for the monitor

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in 2020 all of the hd sunglasses are going to rebrand as hdr sunglasses

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i need very accurate reds for when i turn on flux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why dont they just reverse supersample into h 265

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

akadajet posted:

the thing about vlc is that it's the only thing linux users have lol

they have mplayer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vlc is good though. it's got all the codecs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how come vbr mp3s are good but video files are crap

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they make netflix machines

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cool. i win

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Doc Block posted:

VBR is poo poo

"yes, I want the whole song to sound equally bad."

isnt that literally not how it works

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the new youtube is loving insane. i went into nmd and there's an entire thread dedicated to limp bizkit and kornlikes and there's moving thumbnails now? https://i.ytimg.com/an_webp/RYnFIRc0k6E/mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=COfItssF&rs=AOn4CLBEE4I0WXs453IsvNQfN_ghbqrm8A

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gotta have those perfectly spherical bags of sand

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vlc is good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know where to get lossless twin peaks. not sure if i would care though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd rather watch a stanley kubrick masterpiece with a million dollar work of art lens in regular person 1080p than some dipshit on an internet forum's commercial in lossless whatever that i can't use vlc for. and i guess that's how the entire planet has spoken too, going by the sales figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why cant they just give you a better bitrate instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing instead? it's not like you can see more than 3 colors

• Locked thread