Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

i have never seen a home projector setup that looked good

i did

it was a vidikron vision 1 crt projector in a setup that cost about $300k back in the year 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

is anyone else hype for vp10 av1? it will be so nice to finally have an actually-good royalty-free codec with real hardware support. the best part is how it only happened because the h265 patent-holders were greedy fucks who couldnt just be happy with what they were getting to keep the gravy train rolling but instead had to ask for so much that even loving netflix (who people actually pay for their content) couldnt afford the royalties.

av1 is the future, but the bitstream freeze has been pushed back to october so it will be a while before ubiquitous support is out there.

it's nice to see software patent bullshit finally bite these companies in the rear end. with h.264 you dealt with paying royalties, with a yearly cap, to mpeg-la and that was it. with h.265 you have to deal with two separate patent pools, each with their own licensing terms and fees on top of some individual companies who aren't part of either pool. licensing h.265 ends up costing something like 10x more than h.264 if you make hardware or software.

a lot of the companies who joined aom and offered up their patents for royalty-free use were actually part of the patent pools for h.264 and h.265, but h.265's licensing was so lovely that even the companies who were in on it didn't want to deal with it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pagancow posted:

Dolby digital calls for dynamic range normalization in smaller, non-full range speakers. VLC doesn't do this they just let you 200% distort the audio lol

this is done in the decoder. vlc follows dolby's recommendation that it's enabled by default and there is a checkbox in the options menu to turn it off

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

mpv is the new hotness but it's really stupid. i haven't looked at any front ends to it

isn't mpv just a fork of mplayer, which is almost 20 years old at this point?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

because dvi doesn't carry audio

it can. hdmi is basically dvi-d and audio is sent during the vblank period. pretty much every video card can send audio via the dvi port if the device at the other end supports it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

huh

still I'm not surprised you'd lose that through a converter since they're probably bargain basement poo poo inside

hdmi<->dvi convertors don't have any active circuits inside. they're just pin adapters.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

The free version of DaVinci Resolve is a disgustingly good deal - the real things you get if you pay $300 (used to be $1000, used to be $30,000) are multi-GPU support, >UHD export, noise reduction, and the ability to have multiple people working on the same project simultaneously. Woo.

it worth noting that their fusion product has a free version with similar restrictions. a free node-based vfx compositor that's comparable to nuke (which costs thousands) is pretty cool, plus it integrates with resolve

it's pretty sweet that today you can basically get a cross-platform, pro-tier editing suite for free

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pagancow posted:

lol look at AV1's wikipedia page:

Under patent rules adopted from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), technology contributors license their AV1-connected patents to anyone, anywhere, anytime based on reciprocity, i.e. as long as the user doesn't engage in patent litigation.[7] As a defensive condition, anyone engaging in patent litigation loses the right to the patents of all patent holders.[5]

cool so one company could hold the whole thing hostage if they own a patent? check

if they want to do the legal equivalent of detonating a suicide vest, sure

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

lots of hardware makers etc were in the "alliance" for "totally not h.264, we promise" aka VP8, and guess how that turned out?

there wasn't any incentive to abandon h.264 since hardware support was ubiquitous and the licensing wasn't that bad (most companies either paid nothing or the cap of $6.5 million, which is still nothing if you are a company like samsung or intel)

h.265 licensing is a nightmare and everyone wants to get away from it as soon as possible. it's so bad that companies offered up their patents royalty-free as long as they would eventually have a codec they could actually use

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crusader posted:

i guess the chance AV1 could get challenged on top of the hardware support inertia is also going to deter adoption; bamtech is the tech arm of mlb that powers streaming for mlb.tv, hbo now, nhl, wwe, etc.

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/mlbam-cto-wary-open-source-video-codecs

how many h.265 patents do they own?

and vp8 (or 9?) had some people come forth and try to challenge it. i don't think anything came of it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 8, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

vlc is good though. it's got all the codecs

every decent media player is just a gui over ffmpeg

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm still legit ashamed at how many lovely movies i rented or bought as a teenager just to see the dts light on my surround decoder light up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hooking up the rca-outs from your tv to a boombox is sufficient imo :can:

that's pretty much what everyone did with those EXTREME MEGA BASS mini stereos in the 90s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

I got the impression at the time that people in those days were doing it to ~Rebel Against The Hollywood System~. almost like a Dogme 95 thing but video instead of 35mm film.

i would imagine that a significant chunk of blair witch being shot on hi-8 and still making a mountain of money had something to do with it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Here's (the slides from) a cool talk from an engineer at Vimeo about the poo poo people upload and expect their transcoder to deal with.

i'd love to see a list of all 39 container formats people submit stuff in. the wikipedia list only has 29 and that includes really obscure stuff like roq and svi.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

...on a budget of 60,000, which is... good?

the worldwide take was $258 million in 1999 dollars. not too shabby

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

if your tv doesn't have displayport just gtfo

65" 4k HDR 120Hz gsync TV's are a thing now

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display

well, everyone was wondering what they were going to do regarding hdmi 2.1 supporting variable refresh

i don't think that people expected them to go "gently caress it, we'll make our own large gsync displays" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm wondering how this is going to handle audio. receivers don't do displayport and most don't have multi-channel analog inputs anymore. you either need to do a dual-display setup with the displayport going to the tv and hdmi going to the receiver, which gets messy since you either have a dual-display setup with one invisible desktop or use mirroring and end up limited by whatever resolution and refresh rates the lower display supports, or have the monitor equipped with an hdmi output to carry the audio to the receiver.

i'm sure a company like gefen will make a device that splits the audio from a displayport signal and sends it out via hdmi if there's a market for it, but those things get expensive.

• Locked thread