Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

SC2 competitive was so disappointing, long live SC1

Tastosis GSL coverage has been wonderful, but yeah it never became the phenomenon that is/was Brood War.

Klazart's YouTube English language VODs got me into Brood War back in the day. An HD remaster with pro casters would be pretty cool. For now, I'll stick with whatever SC coverage that Tastosis and a few, select casters produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

borf posted:

What ever happened to that guy? His videos were my gateway as well.

It looks like he stopped doing Brood War VODs about 6 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KlazartSC/about

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Minrad posted:

It's probably gonna be done in the brood war re-release Blizzard has been teasing for a few years now.

I really enjoyed the Terran campaign in the original Starcraft. A chance to play through The Hammer Falls again using a new engine would be welcome.

On topic: it'd be great for competitive Brood War multiplayer, too.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The old guard are older (of course) and rusty, but it's still fun to watch them play in these exhibition tournaments. The new 4k client with observer mode will improve the watchability of Brood War big time.

I just watched VODs of the GSL finals. Poor soO. He could not answer the Adept harass, and even the Oracles threw him for a loop. He wasn't on top form, but I do think Zerg could do with the tiniest of boosts in LotV, even if it's just late game. Those end-game Protoss armies are nigh unbeatable.

Congrats to Stats. He's been an excellent competitor and has experienced tough knocks himself.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

To me, they weren't unenthusiastic with their casting, although it was slightly mechanical and wistful for days gone past. They also seemed quite hungry for a wave of new talent in the Brood War scene. I think that these exhibition style matches aren't really exciting them now that the novelty is gone.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 23, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elyv posted:

I think Stork got unlucky in getting build order hard countered in the first game, but he really shouldn't have lost all those probes to the DT. Even without that he was pretty far behind, though. His second game no excuses, his positioning and control in the first battle were flat out bad and he made a few other mistakes here and there. It makes me sad because Stork was possibly my favorite player

Stork was always a very talented Protoss who slipped up in big matches. I know he won an OSL but he was Bisu, if Bisu couldn't close.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Both Round of 4 matches should be good... but I'm not happy that we'll have to suffer Rapid, SA's impression of Reddit given flesh

Between Rapid's socially awkward mania, weaker game sense, and tendency to butcher metaphors, I hope his co-caster talks more.

Looking forward to the Round of 4 though :clint:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Good series! These ASL broadcasts are doing a good job of getting me excited for the Remastered Edition.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

WDIIA posted:

3-0 Flash, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

You called it.

That was a disappointing final set. Perhaps the next ASL will use SC: Remastered? Fingers crossed.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Hey, so if you're wondering why there hasn't been anything major lately, it seems that Blizzard decided to forbid any offline tournaments until SC:R comes out

Until now I thought it was just their writers who sucked.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Loiku posted:

Does anyone know when the first tournament will be shown using the remastered version?

I assume it'll be this one:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Afreeca_Starleague_Season_4

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It is a bit of a wait but Afreeca is still broadcasting SCII GSL and I suppose this is their way of pacing the release of content.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

There was a high-profile beachfront exhibition in Korea at the Remastered release but other than that it's been slim pickings.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Goons are getting into ASL now?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Day 1 was worth it for Larva's ridiculous antics.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elyv posted:

(Day 2 spoilers)

It was a great comeback. Stasis + psi storm were used just right. The Terran tank army was also sacrificed to get that Nexus, and I guess it wasn't worth it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Group C Final Game

I loved the initiative shown with those doom drops. Mind is lucky to have made it out of there. And what a crazy siege line.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Group A : Also kinda legit shocked that neither Mong nor Shine, who both looked like straight killers in there groups, didn't make it out. But Baxter really did play well. Maybe mutas are coming back into the meta?

Those two did look like they'd be tough to beat, but it seems to me that this ASL more guys have their act together. It seems more competitive on the whole. Of course, ASL won't have truly "arrived" until we see Flash upset by some teenage wünderkind.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Is anybody doing spoiler-free youtube playlists or something? Now that we're in ro.8 I have to watch all the commercials and not touch my mouse to get timer-spoiled.

Awesome start to the ro. 8!!!

It's worth getting spoiled in order to skip past those Giga internet commercials.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ASL is great, but it's definitely a pale shadow of the old pro scene. That Ro.8 ZvZ betrayed the current scene's less insane skill level.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I love the dichotomy of the last two posts. It's true that the talent is slowly leaving or getting older, but Flash is still on top of the heap by an enormous margin and never seems to slow down. Is he some kind of vampire??

The dude is the greatest Brood War player of all time, and he has maintained a pretty high standard even into his mid-20s. In comparison, I saw the great Bisu build a scout a few months ago.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Antares posted:

mostly mid 20s yeah, Flash is 25. Stork is the oldest ASL player I can think of and he's 29.

I was thinking that Shine and Larva were older, but nope. It's an unforgiving game for older players, compared to SCII. I seem to recall it was kind of a big deal for a ~22-year-old JulyZerg to win his last OSL. I'm not sure who the oldest OSL/MSL winner was.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elyv posted:

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

I have to give the fellow credit for being able to talk non-stop and with absolutely no backup. He got a little too wound up in some of those big engagements, but so did Klazart back in the day, and so does Tasteless from time to time. When he's on his own there also aren't any of those awkward moments where the co-caster is made uncomfortable by his weird jokes/prompts. I found it less intolerable than I had feared it would be, and his childish enthusiasm is a bit disarming.

My main gripe is about the results. From what I saw, this is going to be yet another Flash steamroller show. If this were the old days, some young kid would emerge to wreck him, but for now even in his mid-20s he's clearly the king of the castle against this lot. Credit to Bisu, though, for improving his game from where it was even just a few months ago.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ASL Finals:
Flash is just too darn good for this lot. He has held up so well. I have to admit though, I still get an exhibition match kind of feeling from these ASL tournaments. The whole scene definitely can't hold a candle to the way things used to be.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elyv posted:

Potential maps for the next ASL released

Sparkle is crazy, not sure how I feel about any of them yet because my phone screen isn't large enough

I'm down with these, especially the crazy island map.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The island map had the longest games in a weak day, at least. Even Artosis wasn't trying to hide his feelings on the lackluster games. With the islands at least we get some different and weird gameplay. I'm waiting to see what real games look like on those other maps.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

You might be correct, but I would like to see a few more games before making a final decision about the map's balance. If it forces defensive late-game PvZ it will at least be somewhat amusing to watch.

Edit: Day 1, game 1 is my favorite match so far but I enjoyed day 2 more overall. I want more Terran games, though.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 14, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It always amazes me that there's actually a gambling market for professional Starcraft. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at anything gambling-related.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

My phone isn't playing nice with that VOD. I really hope that they upload day 3 to YouTube.

Edit: It's up on Youtube. Brood War is so much less predictable than SCII. Some really cool stuff happened in group C and we even saw a scout!

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mong's hotdog eating would be less pathetic if he didn't wipe out 0-2 in the opening round.

That was some good PvZ on Transister.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 21, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mirror matches are good on Sparkle because no one can complain that the other race has an advantage. I'm not qualified to weigh in on the balance of Sparkle but I love strange maps like it and hope they keep them in the rotation.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah. The final match turned into a much more interesting game than I had expected it to be.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Nice TvP on Sparkle between Sea and Pusan. It's also still weird (but righteous and good) for me to be watching Jaedong compete in 2018. He is like the clichéd old ninja master at this point.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Rapid is a strange dude, but strangest of all was him not knowing who was playing in the matches. The awkward silence by Artosis when Rapid joked about harming animals was also quite a moment.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

drat those were good games.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Rain made corsairs look like cheat mode in that last match.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

loving rapid annoys me every time I see his face.

He is almost totally blind to social cues. He actually does a better job when he's casting solo.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ro. 8 day 2 games were very good, I thought. It was *almost* like the quality of the old days' TvZ. Close enough matchup, I suppose, but I agree that Mind's micro wasn't sharp enough to pull out the win. Seeing Brood War mutas terrorizing Terran bases again is so refreshing after their weaker incarnation in SCII.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elyv posted:

Mini vs Larva was not a good series

Larva looked absolutely outclassed

Larva's an excellent player but Mini definitely had his number. Very sharp PvZ. If you like disintegrating Overlords, that was the series for you. 3-0, but I enjoyed watching the quality of Mini's play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Snow v. Flash
Snow was so consistent, while Flash eschewed defense in favor of pushes he couldn't sustain. That repeated reaver drop on Transistor was brutal. Flash's greatest hour was his recovery after the DTs on Sparkle, but I definitely think that the best man won. Fun series.