Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

JollyPubJerk posted:

Every major DotA tournament gets like 80+ different heroes actually picked during it. It isn't LoL

I've been watching all the ASL and it's sad that Tastosis have kind of lost their enthusiasm a bit. At least with Artosis I think he just doesn't know any of the current builds anymore so he has not much to talk about, and they're kind of sick of re-teaching starcraft to nooblings.

As long as the maps stay good there'll be enough falling asleep material for a while to come though

Hmm... I get the opposite feeling from watching ASL. A&T seem very excited that BW is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Heavy_D posted:

Team rosters:

Snow [P], Best [P], JyJ, [T] Shuttle [P]

Larva [Z], Bisu [P], sSak [T], Killer [Z]

Light [T], Mini [P], HerO [Z], PianO [T]

Flash [???], Soulkey [Z], Action [Z], free [P]

Soma [Z], Sorry [T], Effort [Z], Sharp [T]

Queen [Z], Stork [P], Rush [T], MisO [Z]

Is that ASL? I haven't been keeping up lately, what tournament is this? And where can I watch?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

a god drat idiot posted:

I've also recently started playing BW again. Is there a goon discord or anything?

There is a discord, @syn post a link!

I recently installed BW too. and I've lost the first 10 ladder games I played.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BW ladder seems to start at Diamond league if you were to use Starcraft2 system. Not only is the game super hard, but everyone playing it is also super good at it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

a god drat idiot posted:

I've also recently started playing BW again. Is there a goon discord or anything?

https://discord.gg/2WN9ZGz2

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOPou_ITv8

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I encourage everyone to get broodwar if you haven't played it in 20 years (like me). I went 0-9 or 0-10 on ladder. Finally was able to beat the computer on a 1v1.

Winning is so much more satisfying than SC2. In SC2 there are players who are SO bad, all you have to do is make a unit and you win. Brood War makes you earn every win.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Artosis talked about this last night on his stream. He basically said that last season both he and Tasteless took big pay cuts, so it wasn't a money issue. Also the English stream was getting good viewership.

Tasteless and he are in discussions to keep casting ASL, just in a less professional manor (like not in a studio, just on their own). One of the big issues is ASL is broadcast through Afreeca, and they are both Twitch partners which forbids personal streaming channels on other platforms.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

From artosis stream:

quote:

Tasteless and I are in talks with AfreecaTV about doing an official broadcast / VODs for ASL via crowdfunding (Patreon probably). Please let us know if you are interested in this!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Artosis's foreigner Brood War tournament starts in 7 hours.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Larva played Light, and the dude who was casting it said that Larva just retired from 1v1s. :-(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

anchorpunch posted:

ASL 13 has started and Scan and Nyoken are casting pretty well. ( https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs-ojM-c_SXsarGvYErcw ). Group D is live now: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdQCranbvWI

Group D is live and Tastosis has not even posted group A? drat they are slow.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I think it was the third game, group D, it was funny listening to Tastosis basically say "Protoss has the advantage here. Terran now has the clear advantage. The nexus didn't die, I'm scared for the terran. What an odd game."

Brood War is just the best. I feel like these back and forth wars are more common than in any other game.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Heavy_D posted:

Game 5 is absolutely crazy! Love to see it.

drat! You weren't kidding. That map is so huge.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Good games!

They are still getting $10,000/month on their patreon for ASL English. So happy ASL is around in english.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 5, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

New one is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd-ASvJ400M

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I felt like I was watching SC2 with all the ZvZ :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but besides better graphics, what are any other QoL improvements that Remastered brings?

Also, are all the old campaign maps like Precursor and Resurrection 64 that you can download still workable on Remastered?

It has a built in multiplayer ladder system.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know its because they would get stomped but let some NA and European players in!

That would be like letting Diamond ranked players into the GSL.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

anchorpunch posted:

I watched all the matches played so far. After what I felt was a slightly weaker than usual start of the season there were some very decent games towards the end. Semi-finals and 3rd place were an absolute joy. Very excited for the finals.
I have to say though that tastosis are really disappointing by being so late with their casts. I almost kinda start liking scan/nyoken better anyway. Less entertaining maybe, but they seem to have more expertise.
It's somewhat weird that after all drama and Tastosis constant "thank you so much for keeping English broodwar casting alive" In regard to their patreon there _is_ a live English cast on Afreeca anyway, just not by them. What's up with that? It seems part of the story is missing.

ASL didn't want to pay Tastosis for a live English stream. Scan and Nyoken are either doing it for free, or super cheap.

This is a problem many Starcraft casters have talked about in the past. How do you get companies to pay you a decent wage for casting, when low ranked pro players and streamers always accept less money.

e: I remember the season before Tastosis went to Patreon, they announced that they were taking a major pay cut on ASL, but felt so passionately about Brood War, they were still going to cast it. Can't blame them for wanting to get paid. They are grown adults and this is their job, they draw tens of thousands of viewers. Scan and Nyoken are kind of being scabs for still running a live show.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 7, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

This was kinda cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rC1_np9v1U

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

wrong thread :lol:

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 21, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/afreecaTV_gl/status/1556445089257373701

I'm going to be the best Broodwar player the world has ever seen!
What will they call you?
Piano

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Ok, Artosis, I know you just moved countries, but drat, they are taking FOREVER to get these ASL games out.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Elyv posted:

I've just been watching the scan/nyoken casts

What channel are they on?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Elyv posted:

Starcast TV

Here is the Group A link. They're worse casters than Tastosis but better players

Scan needs to add some bass to his voice :lol:

They also assume the viewer is very knowledgeable. They kept saying how a zerg player is going to go for a "9 7 3" build. I've never heard Tastosis mention wtf that is. No clue what that is.

e: oof and the mic quality is bad

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 13, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Elyv posted:

I feel like I've also heard tastosis talking about 9 7 3

For the record, that's a 3 hatch hydra bust. it refers to the number of drones at each of your bases, 9 in the main, 7 in the nat, 3 in the third

Thank you, guess I'm just a casual.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jesus gently caress, having two terran players cast a game in which a terran is one of the players. Why are Terran players the most whiny?

I should have waited for Tastosis. At least that is just 50% whine.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Shine is one of my favorite, all his games are so exciting and fresh.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Khorne posted:

I enjoyed ro16 b, season of the invisible men

Out of all the men, the invisible ones seem the best.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Match 1 from the round of 8 was so bad. :(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this series does not disappoint

Fun games, I wanted both players to win

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The last game was so crazy

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Third place video is up.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

ASL and GSL done for the year... :(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qB71Le-iSw&t=10473s

Tastless LAN party. For the next 1-2 minutes, the casters are just making GBS threads on how Artosis acts on his stream. :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mooseontheloose posted:

didn't his financials get leaked during the Twitch thing and he makes something like $300,000/year alone?

The leak doesn't include donations (which must be huge for him), the leak it showed $167k

Watching his stream has completely ruined his casting for me.

e: poor Tasteless sitting at $60,000

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 9, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

DTurtle posted:

Sometimes it's the weirdest stuff that generates clicks. For example, Lowko noticed that videos that had arrows in their thumbnails generated significantly more clicks than the exact same thumbnail without arrows.

Also, if adding weird meme face stuff makes people comment that they don't need that, then that is also good for the video because it has more "engagement".

FearDragon recent said he misspells words in the title to get more people commenting on the video about it, to boost the video :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm pretty sure a goon "ohno" from our Discord server helps Artosis and Neuro with their artwork on their youtube/twitch streams. Last time I checked, she was even getting paid for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mooseontheloose posted:

He really should get rid of text to talk, his donors are kinda the worst people.

The donors fit the streamer