Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Managed to catch the last few games of the ASL team final last night, and it was kind of amusing how an Sc2 player managed to roll over Flash.

It would've been cool if they did a mixed-race 3v3 as the tie-breaker match though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Col.Kiwi posted:

Soulkey? He hasnt played sc2 in ages dude.

Really? Says he played in a major Sc2 tournament just last year: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IEM_Season_X_-_Taipei

Edit: Anyway I haven't really followed Sc2 in a couple of years so I'm a bit out of the loop on the pros, watching deathballs running into each other got too boring. I'm just glad BW came back! I even used to hold a subscription to watch it back on GomTV when Tasteless would cast on his own (sometimes with Susie or SuperDanielMan) :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I hope if it does go ahead that they put in a proper spectator mode too. Thats's something I miss from watching Sc2 esports: unit counters, resources etc.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Just caught up on the first 2 days. Always astounding how often players come back and win from seemingly dire situations. :aaa:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zillions magazine posted:

I would love a super minor balance patch that just made some of the unusable/fringe poo poo fractionally better just to see how much it would shake up the meta

Yeah, I wonder if even a small UI fix would make them more viable, because it almost seems like even 400APM isn't enough to individually select every tiny ghost or corsair and use an ability while doing everything else at the same time.

Anyway, it was a really cool game as were Mong's eyebrows.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Cheech Marinade posted:

I hope that at some point Blizzard will implement color selection for players in Brood War. It's hard to follow brown and orange on the minimap!

:agreed:

They should add a red v blue team colours option like Warcraft 3 and AOE2 have.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

OatmealRaisin posted:

a part of me is really excited for the stupid degenerate coinflip of a night group b is going to give us

Yeah, and group D looks nuts: https://i.redd.it/kcflt4zr91nz.png

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I really thought that Mong would make it out of the group, but Baxter played well.

WDIIA posted:

As I understand it, and I haven't dug that deep tbh, Sea touched a woman on stream and people said it was inappropriate so he was banned. He proclaims that it was staged or something, and I haven't cared to watch the video to see how bad it was. But there you go.

Looks like some gifs were posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/6ys9yu/seas_public_statement_regarding_his_asl_ban/dmqhmof/?st=j7zp32dm&sh=eb27d267. Not very appropriate behaviour but I was expecting worse (assuming it's not another dumb streamer roleplay).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Elephunk posted:

Are tastosis doing GSL? Is that star2 or bw?

They are. GSL is always Starcraft 2 afaik.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Man, carriers on Crossing Field seem unstoppable.

Also, no Tasteless :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Prav posted:

i'd be happy with just about anyone but rapid filling in

:agreed:

He's gotten a little better analysis-wise, but his high-pitched voice crossed with a heavy American accent is harsh on the ears.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Mymla posted:

I just can't stop giggling at "his micro was true".

Yeah, I laughed when they were reminiscing about Tasteless' GomTV days and Artosis brought up the Panda Bear guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfPsKWyQik :D

Edit: I forgot they had unit counts back then. I wonder what ever happened to that and why ASL was lacking even resources counts for so long (until HD came out), while GomTV had it 7 years ago.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Great games, players were very evenly matched.

Elephunk posted:

Is anybody doing spoiler-free youtube playlists or something? Now that we're in ro.8 I have to watch all the commercials and not touch my mouse to get timer-spoiled.

Awesome start to the ro. 8!!!

The top comment has unspoiled time stamps for the games (the guy always puts 5 even if there aren't 5), but it means you miss the Tastosis pre-game banter. I just click past the ads and have never felt spoiled since the videos are usually 2 hours anyway, given how much filler they put in.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Kind of sucks that one side of the bracket is being decided by ZvZ's since it's such a volatile matchup. The way it turned out, the best player to go up against Flash/Bisu in the final just got eliminated imo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Yikes, that was more one-sided than I expected, Bisu's constant worker harassment is crazy.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Games like Counterstrike are great competitively but as a viewer you're constricted to one player's viewpoint at a time which kinda sucks, when in every other genre you can mostly see everything. That said, I find that I can't get into eSport games unless I've played them myself to some degree.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I think part of Rapid's problem is he tries to emulate Korean commentators who also regularly yell.

But yeah that Flash v Bisu match was a bit of a letdown, game 3 was funny though I guess.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Game 3 was incredible. Also I hope Flash wasn't trolling when he said in the post-game interview that he'd try and win it again but playing as a different race.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not qualified to weigh in on the balance of Sparkle but I love strange maps like it and hope they keep them in the rotation.

:same: I've really enjoyed the Sparkle games because you can tell the island map meta is still in it's infancy compared to conventional maps, so you get to see pros experimenting with different strats.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the seeded Terrans handle it, especially Flash.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Lol that the best casting partner to Rapid that Afreeca could find was a guy who obviously never watched ASL and whose only experience of Brood War was playing money maps as a kid. :stare:

Also Rapid calling Mind "Flash" in the ZvT half the time was so bad.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Some really great games there. Shuttle's micro was particularly impressive.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

RO8 has started with kind of a bleh round of games. Game 2 seemed very suspicious.

I thought Shuttle would've played better than he did.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Antares posted:

third world seems decent enough for a 'weird' map but as expected sparkle wore out its welcome in the ro24

I guess they felt compelled to come up with a way for players to win games against Flash, and this was the result.

It's just a pity all the other Terrans got caught in the crossfire.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Alternately, find a way to delete the Zerg-only gas on any start location that doesn't have a Zerg player. That way there's enough gas to survive early, but not quite as ridiculous an excess after taking another main. Though I imagine if this was possible with triggers, then it would have already been tried.

Triggers could do it, but they wouldn't work because the map must be made to run in Melee mode and triggers would require Use Map Settings.

Elyv posted:

Mini vs Larva was not a good series

Larva looked absolutely outclassed

Yeah, it looked like Mini had really done his homework on Larva's hydra-only play and completely demolished it. Larva really needed to try something different but didn't and got smashed every time.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Snow vs Flash was incredible. Great set of games. :ck5:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This series has been all over the place. Some of the highest highs, some of the lowest lows... I think it's been pretty fun overall though, with its weird experimental maps. That being said, I'm a-okay if next season is some plain-rear end Circuit Breaker and Gladiator again.

I suppose the map pool did what it intended to do: eliminated Flash :cheeky:. The experimental maps seem to be wearing thin on everybody so in all likelihood I'm guessing it'll be standard maps next season.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

As if Arbiters weren't dangerous enough.

It's possible they'll ban this glitch from tournament play like they do with others if it is too game breaking, but it might be too fiddly to pull off in a competitive game anyway.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

ASL 3/4 match was quality Brood War.
:drat: That 5th game was incredible. Maybe the most entertaining of the tournament.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Aces High posted:

the 3/4 match was more entertaining than the final, I thought. Those were some good matches whereas this final was kind of boring in comparison.

:agreed: that was one lacklustre final. Interesting venue though.

Also that frontal close up of the winner's lips kissing the see-through trophy was bizarre lol.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 3, 2018

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Morholt posted:

Group C:
Shuttle vs SoulKey set 4 :suspense:

Light going BCs :suspense::suspense:

Yeah, some awesome games in this group. Especially compared to the previous games.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

AtillatheBum posted:

So why is Flash not in this new league?

I was wondering that too so had a google. Flash missed the qualifiers because he was already committed to playing tournaments in China. Of the other missing big names, Bisu & Hero are doing military service and Larva got eliminated in qualifying by Movie.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Seems like poor planning that they would put GSL vs World on at the same time as KSL. Also that new ad with a seemingly unenthused-Artosis that played during the breaks is pretty funny.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

It's been a great tournament with much better maps than the last ASL. Should be an awesome final too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

ASL is in to the round of 16 now. Broadcasts can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg/videos

Atleast one video was taken down due to music copyright though (lol) and another is muted for the same reason I guess.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Antares posted:

Yeah I've had to go to the actual Afreeca website for a couple VODs because they got themselves deleted from YouTube. Good news is the Afreeca website works in Chrome now, and without logging in!!

Group D where FlaSh picked JD will be awesome but unfortunately it's like two weeks away on account of Korean holidays.

Oh that's good to know, it looks like they're held here: http://www.afreecatv.com/?hash=staffpicks_42

Doesn't seem to work on Safari but yeah Chrome works. I'm surprised it isn't https encrypted but I guess it fits the 'camsite from last decade' design lol.

Yeah Group D should be good. Given what we saw in KSL it's gonna be tough for JD to take a game off Flash I would think.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the effort vs last series owned

those burrow strats in game 5 lmfao

:aaa:

Definitely one of the best ZvT series in recent memory. Should be a great final

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Usually the ASL finals are a wet fart but that one was great even if it meant putting up with Rapid's teenage girl shrieking.

Dancer posted:

I apologize for being a noob, but can someone give me a few hints on how to find vods (for example, for this seemingly exciting competition that just ended)? I checked the OP and the only indicator I found was teamliquid.net, but I haven't been able to (easily) find them there. Ideally spoiler-free :v: .

For ASL I use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg?videos or http://www.afreecatv.com/?hash=staffpicks_42 if JD's Kelly Clarkson song nukes the youtube vod.

For KSL I use https://www.twitch.tv/starcraft/videos/archive

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

AtillatheBum posted:

Light vs Action Game 2:

Rapid - "These firebats are going to be a liability when the muta and lings spill in because they can't shoot up."

*Firbats massacre all the zerglings in seconds and the remaining marines shoo away the mutas*
:cmon:

Game one was extremely good despite the Rapid cast though.

Ugh, honestly I think all interest I have in Brood War would instantly erode if Tastosis ever retire, if it means being stuck with that guy forever.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I actually hate that Rapid has gotten a lot better at casting BW. I liked hating on him for a long time but he's starting to grow on me, especially when paired with noregret

I didn't know he had an account on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Watching Tasteless & Artosis' reaction to the Modesty v Leta clown fiesta was gold