Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
when's vega come out and have any perf numbers leaked yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

atomicthumbs posted:

Intel HD graphics four thousand achieves surprisingly high opencl performance with beignet

the integrated intel chipset in the 2014 macbook pro outperforms the dedicated nvidia card for a bunch of opencl applications

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v44wWAOHn8&t=480s

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
cool & good but i already got a skylake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol *immediate pre-order availability*

amd can't even pull off a hard launch. can't wait for the inevitable process issues and schedule slips to restrict availability so much their price advantage disappears

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

twist ending, it's ... good?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'll be how many times she mentioned just how crazy they are about CORES

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DuckConference posted:

twist ending, it's ... good?

I guess we'll find out when sites like Anandtech and Tech Report do their reviews

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel doesn't care about pure performance anymore, just cutting down power and maintaining performance. amd still fighting the previous battle which appeals to an ever-shrinking market (lol gamers and "content creators").

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
intel is beat on price, perf and power now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

intel is beat on price, perf and power now

well, amd says that, yes

of course you can't buy one yet and no one is allowed to publish actual benchmarks until they're available for sale, so lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
did you see that youtube video where they bench them? looks legit to me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, i'm not going all :tinfoil: here, but maybe wait for anand or someone to publish some real world benchmarks before crowning amd king poo poo of gently caress mountain over a press event

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

okay, i'm not going all :tinfoil: here, but maybe wait for anand or someone to publish some real world benchmarks before crowning amd king poo poo of gently caress mountain over a press event

i'm more interested in seeing intel's response, there's a bunch of different ways this could play out in the next few years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably just to start selling lower binned xeon e5 as i7s, without the workstation chipset/ecc requirments

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it also remains to be seen if amd can make a chipset that isn't a flaming piece of poo poo

i, for one, am optimistic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this may matter to me in like three years when I'm ready to upgrade my CPU again lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seriously I think I've bought two desktop chips in the last ten years and the last one was a non-k i5

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
how's amd doing with heat these days? i know their new chips aren't actually out yet, but any chance they'll try to target the datacenters-that-are-not-on-fire segment at some point?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seriously I think I've bought two desktop chips in the last ten years and the last one was a non-k i5

same except i have bought only one cpu in the last decade and it was a 2600k so i'm probably due for an upgrade around 2023

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
same but 2500k because i only play games

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think the last desktop chip I bought was an Athlon XP 1800+

even the one "desktop" i purchased recently is a ProLiant MicroServer and it has a Turion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

a ProLiant MicroServer and it has a Turion

sorry for your lots

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

even the one "desktop" i purchased recently is a ProLiant MicroServer and it has a Turion
haha these are such poo poo, last time i had to work on one it ended in me building the firm a new server

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

haha these are such poo poo, last time i had to work on one it ended in me building the firm a new server

it's fine for a little home backup box that can do other things, i stuffed 12GB of RAM in it and run a bunch of KVM VMs and LXC instances on it

i sure as hell wouldn't use it for real work

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

can't wait for apple to switch to full AMD stack and it somehow makes video editors even more likely to flee the platform because adobe and avid will not be able to move quickly enough to put in the right optimizations for it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Does anyone have that corgi avatar image? I wanna do a thing.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

moose milkie?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the very same

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it will be hardware encoders on the gpu, same as 264.

GPU encoders suck though, it doesn't matter how fast you finish if you do the job lovely

works great for teleconferencing or boring poo poo like that I guess

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Breakfast All Day posted:

i have a token amd friend box, i celebrate computer diversity

same

the Athlon 5350 is pretty much unchallenged in its role of "CPU/motherboard combo I can buy for $40" and it makes an OK shitbox HTPC or fileserver

little known fact, it even has ECC support and there is even a motherboard that has it hooked up, shame it's mATX instead of something useful like mITX or full ATX

fake edit though it looks like Microcenter no longer carries it, and Zen doesn't support ECC, so welp there went my interest in AMD products

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zen seems to be targeting that ever growing juggernaut of the PC market, home desktop PCs

without ecc support they're worthless for actual workstations or entry level servers, so i guess going for the biggest markets of 2003, the last time amd was even remotely relevant, makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That's dumb, I guess they don't want to cannibalise sales of the Naples server CPU line that launches later this year

I built my zfs home server around the AMD FX-8350 in 2013 along with 32GB of cheap ECC memory and that thing has been rock solid and quite needs suiting. It's annoying to have a space heater running 24/7 during the summer but in winter you need that extra 100 watts of heating anyway.

• Locked thread