Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ryzen is looking to be good compared to previous AMD offerings and on par with intel chips from a gen or two ago which given Intel's last several generations means that it's basically almost on par with current gen intel poo poo.

That being said, no way am I switching to AMD for anything. My Ivy Bridge 3770k is still fine.

If it does turn out well, AMD will actually be back to "Not as good as their competitors but cheaper" instead of being a comedy option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endless Mike posted:

glad the right guy won

lmao

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The 460/480 series provides pretty good bang for the buck currently but you're still pretty much better off with a 1060/1070, and Vega likely won't be competitive with the 1080/1080ti.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Lol you can turn on threading through some obscure option flag but it will gently caress up layer composition I hate autodesk so much
we use a lot of autodesk poo poo at the university I work at but i have yet to hear of any workplace that actually uses it

like they're always Creo with Windchill, or NX with TeamCenter, and/or solidworks, and Mastercam

or CATIA or w/e

there a specific industry that actually uses autodesk products other than Maya??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

ryzen: multi core don't mean poo poo or how amd fails to compete with two generation old intels yet again
Actually less bad than I anticipated really.

lol @ their $500 flagship being outperformed by the $350 Kaby Lake chip though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The performance per $ really loving drops off a cliff past a certain point. Who buys those $1500+ CPUs?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ryzen is merely not quite as good as Intel stuff which is a huge improvement from utterly comical disaster like bulldozer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AMD...lol!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/352538/ryzen-7-chips-are-locking-up-pcs-amd-knows-why

quote:

AMD threw Intel a curve ball in February when the chip company announced its Ryzen CPUs would launch in early March. They are fast and significantly cheaper than Intel's equivalent Core processors. It even led to some price cuts by Intel.

But with Ryzen chips now making their way into desktop PCs, AMD experienced its first major problem. All variants of the Ryzen 7 desktop processors are locking up PCs. The issue is related to FMA3 code, which are a set of streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) that can greatly enhance the performance of floating point operations carried out by the chips. FMA3 isn't new. AMD added support for the instruction set back in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

amd: we'll fix it in POST

• Locked thread