Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
everyone at Intel has been on vacation for the last four years. they just keep releasing the same CPUs every year with a new name. so far no one has noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel doesn't care about pure performance anymore, just cutting down power and maintaining performance. amd still fighting the previous battle which appeals to an ever-shrinking market (lol gamers and "content creators").

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

vodkat posted:

flamewar incoming:

if you are building a home zfs box you don't need to ecc ram :colbert:

how does zfs protect your in memory dirty pages from bit flips?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tokamak posted:

this is their strategy. the enthusiast market are the beta testers for the server chips that will be released later this year. they don't want to be pushing microcode updates to servers to fix bugs, or even worse sending out chips with a subtle design flaw. it's a new architecture and a new process, so there's going to be bugs to iron out

the chips go to enthusiasts first because it takes time to get the yields up and you can't start selling into the server market until you can produce them in volume. also lol if you think the chips they ship don't have design flaws.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I frequently do things at work that can use as many cores as you can throw at them. at home not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

i want a cool new feature or else intel will have to be happy with me buying a new $200ish i5 every 10 years it looks like.

intel would need to have competition before they get off their rear end and do something. post a thread if that ever happens.

• Locked thread