Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's a little befuddling to me seeing people go :supaburn: over cores

when i upgraded three years ago i got a non-k i5 and it's been great to me, i still feel like i "just" upgraded to haswell

but then i rode a core 2 duo for like five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Endless Mike posted:

yeah it's because intel stopped making faster cpus after sandy bridge.

i guess i just don't do really CPU heavy stuff. like i guess my old C2D would have been seriously inadequate for DOOM, but it was still usually good enough for day-to-day poo poo.

i think i'm just overly cynical and assume that a lot of people who post about wanting better cpu speeds and more cores are just sad that they can't justify spending money on building new computers every year like they used to. maybe there really are a lot of people who need to encode HD video they shot that day while playing AAA games and watching 2160p video at the same time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this may matter to me in like three years when I'm ready to upgrade my CPU again lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seriously I think I've bought two desktop chips in the last ten years and the last one was a non-k i5

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Pinball Wizard posted:

had a guy at work yesterday tell me that amd has alaways been great, intel just rigs the press and market against amd

i fully believe you, i remember back in 2012 i used to work with a guy who was planning on going AMD for a new desktop because he was some weird company fanboy. he also insisted that Apple made a huge mistake in switching away from PowerPC.

this was also the same guy who bragged about needlessly assaulting someone as a night watchman at some apartment complex, complained about how he used to own his own security business but "the insurance costs got too high", and also admitted that he used to work for TSA but somehow managed to get fired. obviously not firing on all gates there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

seriously though, who is this product for? you have a dozen cores but can't support high memory densities. what's the advantage of having 8 cores for a basic desktop? nothing is multithreaded enough to take advantage of that until you start getting to specialized workloads that you'd want an actual workstation for

lol have you read the amd thread in sh/sc? there are people who are irl mad that 8+ cores isn't already commonplace on desktops and that those lazy developers aren't already coding games to just get better performance with as many cores as you can throw at them. i can't quite tell how much of it is ignorance and how much of it is the perverse compulsion to spend money on new computers each year that have more/bigger numbers than last year's model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the main difference between e5 and e7 is how many qpi links you've got,

• Locked thread