Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's a little befuddling to me seeing people go :supaburn: over cores

when i upgraded three years ago i got a non-k i5 and it's been great to me, i still feel like i "just" upgraded to haswell

but then i rode a core 2 duo for like five years

yeah it's because intel stopped making faster cpus after sandy bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i guess i just don't do really CPU heavy stuff. like i guess my old C2D would have been seriously inadequate for DOOM, but it was still usually good enough for day-to-day poo poo.

i think i'm just overly cynical and assume that a lot of people who post about wanting better cpu speeds and more cores are just sad that they can't justify spending money on building new computers every year like they used to. maybe there really are a lot of people who need to encode HD video they shot that day while playing AAA games and watching 2160p video at the same time.

there's not. like, honestly, for 99% (made up number) of computer users, any i3 from 2012 or so will more than suffice provided sufficient ram and such. for gamers, an i5 from the same time. for the pagancows, yeah, maybe you need to upgrade annually. intel has been focusing entirely on power savings, so laptops do actually see benefit from new processors, but not really so much that there's any need to upgrade unless you're really upset plugging in every four hours or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

glad the right guy won

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

really though i think that is #fakenews since there's no such thing as amd fans unless they are talking about the literal fan on the graphics card, in which case it wasn't murder

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the kind of people who buy amd because 'MORE CORES!!!!' are the same people who will never, ever be happy playing games because they'll always know in their hearts that they can eke out another 1 fps if they *just* adjust this slider correctly

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my friend was complaining on fb about how his pc has, for as long as he's had it, randomly rebooted. he could never figure it out and it was never reproducible. people were offering suggestions which were all "did that. did that. tried that. nope, not that." the next he posts that he removed his overclock and it stopped doing it. the first response was basically 'you idiot'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

a $350 intel will last like 10 years. a $1500 one will last like...10 years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gizmodo impressively wrote a review with a conclusion that's both factually incorrect and not supported by the rest of the article:

quote:

Ryzen runs cooler than Kaby Lake or Skylake, and it sucks up less power, and it’s faster.

though they somehow got ROTR to render twice as many frames with the amd than the 7700K despite the ars review having them fairly close (with the intel doing more)

https://gizmodo.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-ryzen-amds-shot-at-an-inte-1792867348

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

unless you have a $20 atom in which case lol nope

sure but if you spent $350 or $1500 on a $20 atom, how long it lasts is really the least of your worries, you loving idiot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hifi posted:

that's how hitler got started

it was more trains for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

why is walter crying?

he saw what intel could have done if only weyland-yutani hadn't gone for the lowest bidder

• Locked thread