Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just going to point out once again that it was easy to see a better try from amd coming based on them having jim keller back for a couple of years to design zen

guy went alpha 21164 -> 21264 -> amd k7 -> hypertransport -> amd k8 -> (a high-performance mips implementation that broadcom bought out, but not one would remember) -> pa semi -> apple a4 -> apple a5 -> amd zen -> uber (in a bit of a tragedy for all)

since he is gone amd will shortly go back to bungling all things, but at least they are likely to have a decent uarch for a generaiton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

zen seems to be targeting that ever growing juggernaut of the PC market, home desktop PCs

without ecc support they're worthless for actual workstations or entry level servers, so i guess going for the biggest markets of 2003, the last time amd was even remotely relevant, makes sense

not exactly the market of the future, but i think the "enthusiast" crowd still exists and is very prepared to go with anything that seems a bit flashier than intels offerings. i expect they can make some quick cash there, and then longer term get another go at servers going

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

maybe HP will finally release their memristor-based stuff and we can ascend to the fourth level of computation

or intel will just release another 14nm cpu with 5% higher clocks and ray kurzweil will finally accept that his stupid loving predictions that theyll be able to simulate his brain before he dies are not going to happen

tbf i think we could have managed a computer simulation of kurzweils brain which was good enough for all practical purposes at any point since 1973

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

unclear whether they need to compete with the 1080s though. vulkan is rather fixing one of amds main problems (software parity) for them atm, and it was never like they were too stupid to figure out how to stick shaders onto dies anyway. i sort of think amd may actually make it (i.e. struggle along almost making profits for another decade) at this rate if the zen roadmap works out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The performance per $ really loving drops off a cliff past a certain point. Who buys those $1500+ CPUs?

tiny cost in the broader picture for a lot of tasks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usually because the multiplier is locked, but ryzen is unlocked so because they are banking on overclockers being stupid perhaps?

a very sound strategy really. stupid and too dull to spend their considerable income on booze

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i want to see the world burn, but it turns out all i can really control is the bus clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

its fun to hate on amd and all, but in general this new stuff looks like it'll be competitive enough with intel that they can play around on price, intel has huge margins, they don't need to beat them on any straight performance metric to make a bit of money

• Locked thread