Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Newest update: Episode 11

Despite enjoying the hell out of most of the entries in both the elder scrolls and fallout series, i will shamefully admit that apart from Fallout: New Vegas, I've never played any of the games all the way through. I've played...well, countless hours of all of the elder scrolls games, starting with Daggerfall when I was younger, but never once was able to see my way through one of them. Well, today i plan on changing that.

Really? A Bethesda game?

Yep. But we're not just going with the vanilla release. We're going to mod this sucker into oblivion. Well..not quite, that's Something Else, but you get the idea. Total lighting and texture overhauls, a COMPLETELY redone perk system, more varied (read: Balanced) armor and weapons (no overpowered god items), a better user inferface, you get the idea.

Oh, and we're playing as a hobbit.

Wait, what?

Yep. The default races are all well and good, but I wanted to play something different this time through. A sneaky, burglarish type with a propensity for curiosity and getting into trouble. Oh, and get into trouble they will.

Will you be doing all the side quests?

Not all of them, but as many as I can possibly manage.

Isn't this going to take forever?

Probably.

Are you crazy?

See Above.

Can i suggest a mod?

Sure! I may or may not add it in, i'm trying to stick with just things that enhance the game's looks without unbalancing it. No swords that do 900 damage, that's no fun.

Update schedule
at least once per week, i'll try to do two to three if i can fit it in. one a day, if i have time that day to record.

:frogsiren: Spoiler policy :frogsiren:
Go hog wild. we're the dragonborn, we shout at people. this game is six years old now, knock yourselves out. If i missed something cool and you want me to go back and get it, by all means, tell me.

:catdrugs: Ocd warning. I'll probably spend time picking flowers Dicking around and doing random stuff. I'm going to try to keep the majority of crafting, messing around with perks, selling mountains of loot to merchants to between videos. Odds are, after i clear a dungeon, I'll go back and pick it clean. The poor merchant in whiterun will probably hate me for selling him 3000 plates, but that's his problem, not yours.

MOD LIST:
Breaking down my current mod list into the same sections that the Nexus mod manager uses.

Abodes-player homes
Island Hobbit Home - Revistited I haven't gotten to actually visit it yet, but perhaps someday, our heroine will return home?

Animation
Xp32 Maximum skeleton :siren: Nsfw :siren: Needed to make the hobbit skeleton work, otherwise the game crashes when you take your armor off, because it has no idea what you're supposed to look like under it. (just a note, all mods i'm using are going to be SFW in game, but some of the mod pages have titties. you've been warned.

Armor
Immersive Armors Adds TONS of new armor selections in game, very balanced, instead of just having what, 5 or 6 sets of armor and that's it. Adds new stuff to treasure, npcs, merchants, and blends very well into the game.
Unclaimed Delivery Just a fancy set of very early game light armor, perfect for a starting adventurer. There are some weapons along with it, but I'm leaving those behind.

Audio
No Sneak Attack Sound Does what it says on the tin. Just removes the "Shoonk!" sound when you sneak attack someone.
Quiet unsheathing of weapons No more "Fwoooom" every time you draw a magic weapon

Clothing
Cloaks of Skyrim
Winter is coming - Cloaks Both of these mods add cloaks into the game
Mage Backpack Adds a craftable magic backpack, but its hard to make!

Environment
Distant Detail - Hearthfire edition Increases the distance that larger objects get rendered

Gameplay Effects & Changes
All Items Weight Adjustment Fixes the weights of everything to make them more realistic
Realistic Ragdolls and force Again, does what it says on the tin
Run for your lives
When Vampires Attack This, and the one above, change npc behavior to make them try to seek shelter when Dragons, and vampires attack, respectively.-Thanks To Commander Keene for the suggestion
Skyrim Community uncapper Lets skills advance past 100, to let your character continue to grow for as long as you play. almost required for...
Sperg - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay Replacing Perkus Maximus, i do like the changes it makes, and we will be using this as our perk overhaul for the let's play. -Thanks To Commander Keene for the suggestion
More gold in stores It's really just a quality of life improvement for me. Without a mod like this, if you have major OCD Are very thorough, you'll end up spending all your time traveling from town to town selling everything to merchants and leaving them all without a septim.
Instant Mining No more tappa tappa tappa

Immersion
Enhanced Lights and FX Changes the lighting engine for the game.
Lore based loading screens replaces the default loading screens.
Skyrim Coin replacer Redux Does it make sense to find imperial septims in a long-forgotten dwemer ruin or nord burial mound? exactly. This fixes that.
Think to yourself Messages Replaces a lot of the ui messages to make them be more along the lines of the Dragonborn's thoughts, instead of simple "You can't do that." messages. I.e. if you need a key for the door, it changes from "This door requires a key" to "I can't pick that...I should look for a key.."

Modders resources and tutorials
General Stores - Storage resource for packrats normally, it provides a way to store lots of stuff and call on it when you need it. I won't be using that feature at all, but it's a dependency for the hobbit home, which i believe has some sort of storage pantries, bookshelves and the like.

Models and textures
AMidianBorn Book of silence a MASSIVE texture overhaul. Too much to explain, best to just read their description.

There's a few Body replacement mods im using, all of their pages are rather NSFW, the only real effect they have in -this- playthrough is making the Unclaimed delivery mod work. If you feel the need to look at nekkid characters in your own game, have fun with that, all those options are turned off for mine.

Overhauls
Climates of Tamriel Another major overhaul to the game, again, best to just read the page for a full description.

Patches
Prisoner Cart Fix Probably the most important mod in the whole list. If you're playing on a newer pc with a good graphics card, the game has NO idea what to do with the framerates being so high, and....well, the cart starts off flying through the air and flipping around in all directions. This mod is a godsend, fixing that problem.
Unoficcial skyrim Legendary edition patch Fixes...tons and tons and tons of bugs. I'm sure we'll still find plenty more, but this mod also helps immensely.

Races, classes and Birthsigns
Halfling Race This is what allowed us to pick a hobbit as our character! Starts out with the same skillset as a khajit.

User Interfaces
Quality World map, with roads Does exactly what it says, redoes the world map.
Immersive hud - IHud Changes the hud to fade out when not needed. No more constant health meter in the middle of the screen.
SkyUi Probably the mod that most everyone is familiar with. Changes the menu interface, its almost a necessity.
Unread Books Glow Normally, I'd not want to use an immersion-breaking mod like this one, but I'm making an exception for it, for the sake of collecting as much of the lore books as I can. Just adds a little (or a lot) of glow to any book you haven't yet looked at.

Visuals and Graphics
Pure waters Changes the water textures to look a lot more realistic.

Weapons
Immersive weapons Much like immersive armors, just greatly expands the selection of weapons in the game.

Updates
Epsiode 1: Prisoner of Helgen (and a bit of an explanation, my SA Handle is Aishlinn, but my youtube Channel is Hex. Just go with it.)
Episode 2: The road to Riverwood
Episode 3: Trouble in the Bleak Falls Barrow
Episode 4: The Secret of Bleak Falls Barrow
Episode 5: The roaming Gn..err..Halfling
Episode 6: Visiting Whiterun
Episode 7: Dragon Me Down
Episode 8: Exploring Dragonsreach
Episode 9: Joining the companions
Episode 10: The proposition
Episode 11: The big double cross

Bonus Videos
Skill Tree Overhaul: Thief Sign

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Reserved for future shenanigans.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Mod Talk: Perkus maximus Formerly SkyrimReimagined (SkyRE). A complete overhaul of all of the perk trees, adding balance and depth to an otherwise rather boring and linear leveling experience.

To quote the mod's author

Tend0 posted:

Why does this mod need to exist?

Before I go any further, I'll take some time justifying the existence of this mod. I'll do so by dissecting two of Skyrim's existing perk trees, and explaining why I think they are badly designed.

Let's start with this one: Enchanting

9 different perks, a total of 13 perk points to spent.

If you spend all 13 perk points, 10 of these will do nothing but make your enchantments stronger. which also happens to be the effect you automatically enjoy from leveling the skill.

Two perk points would be used to reduce you soul gem consumption (and are widely considered useless), and the last one is a potential gamebreaker that doubles the worth of the skill with just a single perk point.

Apart from the obvious fact that the perks themselves differ widely in terms of usefulness (Soul Squeezer vs. Extra Effect) and that Enchanting alone can turn you mage into a magewarriorthiefassassinspellbladewhatever, absolutely all of the perks are passive. At 100 Enchanting, you still enchant like you did at skill level 15, all you get is a boost in numbers. Not to mention that maxing the skill is just a huge grind.

All in all, Enchanting has no depth, not a single interesting perk, not a single interactive perk, and still breaks your game balance if you pursue it. Prime example for bad game design in my book.

Now you might say "T3nd0 pls, it's a crafting tree, these are always boring", but not only is that wrong, it's also a fact that the non-crafting trees are just barely better.

Here comes Alteration: Alteration

10 different perks. Five of those reduce spell cost, two increase spell duration (which in turn reduces spell cost, if you think about it), two provide passive protection against magic, and one increases the magnitude of armor spells.

See a pattern here? All passive and not interesting. Not as bad as Enchanting in my opinion, as the Magic Resistance bonus at least has a nice metamagic flavour to it, but still boring. Not a single perk in here will change the way you tackle the game. And the Mage Armor perk (as well as all related spells) is made completely redundant once you reach Master level spells, which is another no-go.

Quality-wise, I think of Alteration as medium tier in Skyrim, while Enchanting is horrible. A few trees have more interesting effects on paper (I think of Speech and, to some extent, Sneak, Lockpicking and Pickpocket here), but unfortunately the most interesting effects are killed by the huge combat-focus in gameplay.

In an RPG, character development is key, and Skyrim's perk system - which is the core of character development - is superficial at best, plain bad at worst. I think one can do a lot better. That's why I overhauled it twice.

In addition to completely reworking all of the trees, some old ones are merged, and in their place, an entirely new one, the Wayfarer tree is also added. It gives a Ranger-ish feel to a character that focuses in it. Learning about animals and monsters, tracking, eventually causing normally hostile wildlife to be neutral, or even to come to your aid.

I will do a video at some point in the series just going through each tree and giving all of the advancement paths a look.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I personally prefer SPERG to PerMa, for several reasons. First, it requires less finagling to get it to work. I don't know if this has been fixed since I last played, but the Wayfarer and Dexterity trees in PerMa simply didn't function (you never leveled up in them) without a patch and some settings fiddling, IIRC. SPERG, on the other hand, works straight out of the gate. Second, SPERG isn't a "challenge" mod like PerMa is. PerMa "rebalances" all sorts of things, like weapons, combat, and crafting/alchemy, with the intent of making the game a more challenging experience, while in SPERG difficulty "enhancements" are optional. Third, SPERG is more compatible with other mods, both because of the fact that it doesn't overhaul as much, and because you can use the settings in SkyUI to "turn off" some of the changes the mod makes (like individual perk trees) if you're using a mod that changes one or two specific things that SPERG also affects. Really, the only things I miss from PerMa is the perk in Alteration (IIRC) that gave a bonus when you dual-wielded a spell and a weapon, and some of the new stuff PerMa added to the Speechcraft tree, like the one power that gave your followers a morale buff. But, since you've already started with PerMa, it's probably too late to change over now, although SPERG is supposed to handle changing mid-game.

Also, in your effort to properly treasure-hunt all of Skyrim's dungeons and ruins, I recommend All Items Weight Adjustments, which rebalances item weights to be much more realistic (coincidentally at least halving the weights of most items). Either Nirn has super-heavy gravity, or the people of Tamriel make their stuff mostly out of solid lead, because almost everything in the base game weighs at least twice what it should in real life. I also recommend When Vampires Attack, Run For Your Lives, and Follower Trap Safety if you haven't already installed them for better NPC reactions to the various hazards of Skyrim. I'd also personally recommend Unread Books Glow and Glowing Ore Veins 300, but since you mentioned immersion when talking about the coinage of Tamriel and sneak attack sounds, I suppose you probably wouldn't be as interested in those.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I'll give SPERG a look, man did they ever pick a goony name for the mod. I've already got Unread books glow installed, but turned down to the lowest setting. I do plan on making side videos of some of the books getting read, if they're interesting (or funny) enough to warrant a read, and will likely end the game with a bookshelf stuffed to the gills in whatever house i end up focusing my efforts on.

As for changing the game over to SP from PerMa, it's early enough in the game that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to just run through helgen again quickly. I actually had the second video recorded, uploaded....and then deleted it because the audio balance was completely shot :ughh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This might be my favorite mod for Skyrim: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91031801
It sets Adrianne Avenicci (the smith in Whiterun) to essential so she can't die. That's all it does. It's awesome. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it's got a weird name, I'll admit that. I also appreciate the irony of the mod that includes "Rebalanced Gameplay" in the mod title being a smaller overhaul to game mechanics than the mod whose title bills it primarily as a perk overhaul.

I can recommend a bunch more mods; most of my mod adventures in Skyrim focused primarily on the gameplay side of things, whereas you seem to have focused on the audio-visual and immersion side of things in your mod list. I have a mod that rebalances magic to make it more viable (although I'm pretty sure SPERG does that as well), mods that add spells to the game, and mods that add shouts (including the glowy phantom duplicate shout the Greybeards use in High Hrothgar) and more things to do with the million dragon souls you'll likely be accumulating in the process of looting Skyrim bare of all its ancient Nordic and Dwemer treasures. Just let me know what you're interested in, if anything.

Poil posted:

This might be my favorite mod for Skyrim: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91031801
It sets Adrianne Avenicci (the smith in Whiterun) to essential so she can't die. That's all it does. It's awesome. :v:
Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack will probably cover most incidental NPCs and prevent them from dying from anything other than direct player action. I don't think I've had an important NPC die yet with those mods enabled.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack will probably cover most incidental NPCs and prevent them from dying from anything other than direct player action. I don't think I've had an important NPC die yet with those mods enabled.
Aren't those buggy with npc's occasionally getting stuck indoors? Also most of them are pointless idiots and I don't care if they charge into their deaths against a screaming dragon with their iron spoon or whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

All I can say is that I haven't personally noticed any bugs with the modules.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hobbits don't wear boots! :mad:

Commander Keene posted:

All I can say is that I haven't personally noticed any bugs with the modules.
That sounds promising, worth a look then. :)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Poil posted:

Hobbits don't wear boots! :mad:

They don't often wear boots. While Tolkien does mention hairy feet with leathery soles that allow them to go without shoes, there appears to be no cannon evidence for the extremely large feet as depicted in the more well-known adaptions. So one who favours extra protection for their feet is free to wear them.

:goonsay:

So, is this original Skyrim or the new version? Sorry if this is already said.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LashLightning posted:

They don't often wear boots. While Tolkien does mention hairy feet with leathery soles that allow them to go without shoes, there appears to be no cannon evidence for the extremely large feet as depicted in the more well-known adaptions. So one who favours extra protection for their feet is free to wear them.

I stand corrected. It''s probably not fun to step barefoot in dragon droppings all day.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

LashLightning posted:

So, is this original Skyrim or the new version? Sorry if this is already said.

this is the original skyrim, not Remastered. most (pretty much all) the mods are designed for the original engine, the mod library for the new one is tiny, and with all the great mods available for changing the look of the game, the remastered version is..kind of pointless.

As for the no boots thing, I agree that it's really up for interpretation. For traveling through the shire, going barefoot is not much a problem....up a snowy mountain for long distances...probably not so comfortable.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Episode 2: The road to Riverwood

Hoo boy, this was technical Difficulties: the episode. First time recording it, the audio ended up being WAY too low, had to re-balance all the settings, mess with the mic, all that good stuff, and then about a third of the way into recording it...again, discovered that the recording had stopped. We'll get there, i promise. But now things seem to be smoothed out, and I can hopefully focus a little more on updating without all the software shenanigans.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Those ants on the stump are vanilla, I've seen them outside the house at Lakeview Manor on my 360 game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And, from up close, they're just a jpeg of an ant sliding its way across the stump; no leg movement or anything. It actually looks really bad.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Commander Keene posted:

And, from up close, they're just a jpeg of an ant sliding its way across the stump; no leg movement or anything. It actually looks really bad.

of course, if it was a Kojima game, every ant would have it's own AI, and would follow a procedurally generated path.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds like a colossal waste of computing power and a lot of lag for no real benefit.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Really enjoying this so far, and looking forward to seeing more. I appreciated the little "Hey, did you know" touches, like finding out you can double back to the Imperial side of the keep if you went in with the Stormcloaks. Never knew that, and I like finding out little hidden sort-of-secrets like that. Thanks!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Poil posted:

That sounds like a colossal waste of computing power and a lot of lag for no real benefit.

:thejoke:

Tax Refund posted:

Really enjoying this so far, and looking forward to seeing more. I appreciated the little "Hey, did you know" touches, like finding out you can double back to the Imperial side of the keep if you went in with the Stormcloaks. Never knew that, and I like finding out little hidden sort-of-secrets like that. Thanks!

Thank you. I'm trying my best, but some of it is just spitballing, since as people may have noticed, i've not ever actually finished the game, and hence, never started an imperial-side playthrough. They just play the imperials up as such dicks in the beginnings, its honestly like the choice between deciding on siding with the NCR or the legion in FoNV. Do you want to side with the (sorta) millitary, or the town-burning, slave-taking mass murderers? Do you want to kick a puppy while you're at it?

At a certain point, we'll run up against the content i Haven't done yet, and i think the tone of the videos will shift a bit, but i'll still try to be thorough as i can manage and poke in every corner. just doing the between-videos mucking around, selling stuff to vendors, crafting a pile of potions, i've already found a few places i want to backtrack to before we continue on.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Episode 3: Trouble in the Bleak Falls Barrow At last, a taste of some real action. Coming soon: An overview of the new perk system.

Mod Changes/addition
Added More gold in stores To help alleviate the problem of having too much loot and nowhere to pawn it. Really just some quality of life for me.

Edit: Looks like youtube came through, applying their color/brightness corrector made the video look leaps and bounds better. it always looks great on my end, until i upload it, then it looks dark as heck.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 13, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aishlinn posted:

Thank you. I'm trying my best, but some of it is just spitballing, since as people may have noticed, i've not ever actually finished the game, and hence, never started an imperial-side playthrough. They just play the imperials up as such dicks in the beginnings, its honestly like the choice between deciding on siding with the NCR or the legion in FoNV. Do you want to side with the (sorta) millitary, or the town-burning, slave-taking mass murderers? Do you want to kick a puppy while you're at it?
The problem with the Stormcloaks is that they're super racist Nord supremacists. That, and the fact that they don't seem to understand that the civil war they're engaging in might well literally destroy any chance they have of ever governing themselves. Neither side is squeaky clean or 100% right, but I always feel compelled to side with the Imperials, due to the Stormcloaks' apparent desire to ruin everything for everyone. If it was just "religious discrimination vs. racists" they'd be roughly equal, but there's the threat of the Thalmor, who are just waiting for an excuse to break the treaty that ended the war that they were winning.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

The problem with the Stormcloaks is that they're super racist Nord supremacists. That, and the fact that they don't seem to understand that the civil war they're engaging in might well literally destroy any chance they have of ever governing themselves. Neither side is squeaky clean or 100% right, but I always feel compelled to side with the Imperials, due to the Stormcloaks' apparent desire to ruin everything for everyone. If it was just "religious discrimination vs. racists" they'd be roughly equal, but there's the threat of the Thalmor, who are just waiting for an excuse to break the treaty that ended the war that they were winning.

Visiting Windhelm and its Dark Elf ghetto really brings that home. (Not to mention the Argonian ghetto outside the city walls — the Argonians aren't even allowed into the city.) The Stormcloaks may be fighting for their own freedom, but they don't really care to share Skyrim with "outsiders".

Still, at this point in the storyline, the player character has experienced nothing but injustice from the Imperials, who were going to execute him/her without a trial, and nothing but kindness from Stormcloaks. So it makes perfect sense to join the Stormcloaks at first. A Dark Elf or an Argonian would almost certainly switch sides to the Imperials after visiting Windhelm, but I have no idea how a hobbit is going to feel about all of that.

BTW, if anyone couldn't make out the bandits' dialogue in Bleak Falls Barrow, it went like this:

Bleak Falls Barrow bandits posted:

Bandit #1: "So we're just supposed to sit here while Arvel runs off with that golden claw?"
Bandit #2: "That dark elf wants to go on ahead, let him. Better than us risking our necks."
Bandit #1: "What if Arvel doesn't come back? I want my share from that claw!"
Bandit #2: "Just shut it and keep an eye out for trouble."

Credit to the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages wiki for that transcript.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Tax Refund posted:

Visiting Windhelm and its Dark Elf ghetto really brings that home. (Not to mention the Argonian ghetto outside the city walls — the Argonians aren't even allowed into the city.) The Stormcloaks may be fighting for their own freedom, but they don't really care to share Skyrim with "outsiders".

Still, at this point in the storyline, the player character has experienced nothing but injustice from the Imperials, who were going to execute him/her without a trial, and nothing but kindness from Stormcloaks. So it makes perfect sense to join the Stormcloaks at first. A Dark Elf or an Argonian would almost certainly switch sides to the Imperials after visiting Windhelm, but I have no idea how a hobbit is going to feel about all of that.

It does remain to be seen, which side Tabitha will take. I don't have any path set in stone, though some ideas are kicking around, will see how it all shakes out.

Things will definitely get very interesting though.

Also, i found out what was giving me random skill-ups in light armor, it was SPERG, i turned that setting off.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 13, 2017

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Another gameplay tip for you since you're playing a stealth character, though it might be too late if you've already played and recorded the next episode:

According to the UESP Wiki, there's a bug that can trigger at the end of Bleak Falls Barrow's quest. If you're hidden when reading the word wall, so that the dungeon's boss doesn't spot you when he shows up, his corpse might not register as a container, so you can't get the quest-essential item off his body. The simplest fix is to use the resurrect command in the console and kill him again, at which point you should be able to loot his corpse. Or you could avoid the entire bug by making sure to come out of stealth before reading the word wall; that should work too.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Episode 4: Trouble in bleak falls barrow Today, we finish off the barrow, and discover what ancient secrets lie within.

Also, as a bonus, we have the first video in which we go over the overhauled Thief skill tree: Bonus video 1

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well done, you murdered an old woman living alone out in the woods. Truly you are the noblest of heroes. :v:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Poil posted:

Well done, you murdered an old womanWitch living alone out in the woods. Truly you are the noblest of heroes. :v:

Hey, she attacked me first! Not Tabs fault for being curious about what was in the basement!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Poil posted:

So, a video game?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I generally find that the best way to get through those swinging pendulum traps is to sprint through when they're starting their swing.

The Ancient Nord Arrows are slightly better (maybe 1 or 2 points of damage) than Iron Arrows, IIRC. They're the only Ancient Nord weapons that are better than plain iron weapons. Couple that with the Ancient Nord Bows being the only Ancient Nord items to actually have a decent weight to gold value ratio (even under the All Items Weight Adjustment mod), and the archers are the most profitable Draugr, IMO.

Your lighting mods make it very difficult to see what's going on in the video sometimes. Obviously you have an easier time of it on your actual setup, because you didn't seem to particularly care. But there was one point where a Draugr you were fighting stepped out of the light, and I could not for the life of me tell where it was. And in the room with the wall carvings, one of them was completely non-visible.

Since you use fast travel, you might be interested in the Fast Travel Timescale Fix mod. Apparently, fast traveling takes more in-game time than it would to walk there, and this mod simply changes one variable to fix that.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Commander Keene posted:

I generally find that the best way to get through those swinging pendulum traps is to sprint through when they're starting their swing.

The Ancient Nord Arrows are slightly better (maybe 1 or 2 points of damage) than Iron Arrows, IIRC. They're the only Ancient Nord weapons that are better than plain iron weapons. Couple that with the Ancient Nord Bows being the only Ancient Nord items to actually have a decent weight to gold value ratio (even under the All Items Weight Adjustment mod), and the archers are the most profitable Draugr, IMO.

Your lighting mods make it very difficult to see what's going on in the video sometimes. Obviously you have an easier time of it on your actual setup, because you didn't seem to particularly care. But there was one point where a Draugr you were fighting stepped out of the light, and I could not for the life of me tell where it was. And in the room with the wall carvings, one of them was completely non-visible.

Since you use fast travel, you might be interested in the Fast Travel Timescale Fix mod. Apparently, fast traveling takes more in-game time than it would to walk there, and this mod simply changes one variable to fix that.

I'll see what i can do about adjusting the lighting to be a little more video-friendly. Youtube darkens the heck out of the videos i upload. i've been running them through the color corrector which somewhat fixes the problem, but if there's a better way, i'm all ears.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Games often look darker on the tubes than they do when playing for some reason.

The in game time to fast travel is pretty meaningless unless you're using one of those mods that forces you to eat and drink since you always arrive starving and dehydrated. The carriage service has a strict policy against bringing on board food.

Aishlinn posted:

Hey, she attacked me first! Not Tabs fault for being curious about what was in the basement!
Considering she had to barge in uninvited and pick the lock, yes it totally was. Sneaky hobbitses!

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, a video game?
A game normally has the benefit of entertainment and of course filling the hole caused by being a worthless goon with no hope of ever escaping loneliness. :v:
Adding pointless crap that offer no real improvement to those things but instead lower the effectiveness is a waste.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In the skill tree video, you missed the Extra Pockets perk in the Pickpocketing tree. I think instead of jumping around and trying to go from bottom to top like you did in some of those trees, you should be focusing on one "branch" at a time. Also, Archery is technically a Warrior sign tree, while Alchemy (which you didn't cover) is officially Thief sign, according to the Elder Scrolls wiki. It's fine as it is, but maybe retitle that video "Tabatha's skills" or something.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Commander Keene posted:

In the skill tree video, you missed the Extra Pockets perk in the Pickpocketing tree. I think instead of jumping around and trying to go from bottom to top like you did in some of those trees, you should be focusing on one "branch" at a time. Also, Archery is technically a Warrior sign tree, while Alchemy (which you didn't cover) is officially Thief sign, according to the Elder Scrolls wiki. It's fine as it is, but maybe retitle that video "Tabatha's skills" or something.

I'll add some annotations to address what i messed up. I looked back and forth at the archery tree, and thought to myself "Gee, that really seems to be within the green portion of the stars, it MUST be thief tree. my bad!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

If anyone didn't know, Anise's house* becomes a safe place to keep your items once she's dead. Most locations in the overworld have a "respawn" timer, where if you don't visit them for 10 in-game days, they're reset to their original state. The same applies to dungeons, though if you've cleared out a dungeon, its respawn timer becomes 30 in-game days. So if Tabitha went back to visit Bleak Falls Barrow after 15 days, the bandits outside should be there again, but the draugr inside should still be dead.

Part of the respawn mechanics for any given area involves resetting the contents of any containers in the area, so if you had put your valuable Greatsword of Burning and Freezing and Zapping and Health Draining +37 in the chest just inside the dungeon entrance, thinking that that would be a convenient way to go back and get it... sorry, it's gone now. Permanently.

But some areas are set to never respawn, so if you are away for in-game months, they'll be back just the way you left them. All containers will still contain what they did before, and your Greatsword of Awesomeness +onebazillion will still be in the chest where you left it, making them safe places to store your items when you start to get overburdened. I suppose the in-game justification is that bandits often look for hideouts, so any dungeon that's left unoccupied for very long will probably have someone move in. But an out-of-the-way place like the cellar of an old shack out in the woods... nobody ever thinks to go make that their hideout.

* Specifically, her cellar is a safe place to store your items. The main part of her house is NOT: some of its containers, like the barrels, will respawn their contents and delete anything you'd put in them. But no containers in her cellar will ever respawn, so it's safe to keep your stuff in there. Though since those containers are still marked as "owned" even after Anise's death, it'll still say that you're stealing when you open those containers, which can be annoying. But it's the first safe storage location that a beginning Skyrim character is likely to come across.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

No new episode today, but i do want people to think about what they want the plan to be for the new one. Now that we've cleared the barrow, do we Head to whiterun or go off into the wilderness and just see what we find I'll leave voting up until i get ready to record the next one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hit the Wilderness for a bit.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I vote for a bit of Wilderness exploration. Skyrim is 90% sidequests, after all.

Though maybe explore the wilderness in the general direction of Whiterun, so that when you do go to Whiterun you'll already have some place markers that are close to it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
These are really good btw. I'm enjoying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Gimbal lock posted:

These are really good btw. I'm enjoying them.

Thank you! And good news for the videos coming in the future, i've got my video settings totally optimized, and the new ones will be in glorious 1080p and 60fps. I've been busy as hell with work, so i havent had a lot of free time to record, but i will soon!

• Locked thread