Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Agent355 posted:

Warcraft 3 was like 20 years ago!

Exactly 15. I thought thats why you picked that as the cutoff :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Agent355 posted:

Warcraft 3 was like 20 years ago!

I like the implication that older=worse

As applied out of context I mean

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No, the implication is that 'blizzard hasnt' made any good games lately' probably isn't talking about a 15 year old game.

Zore posted:

Exactly 15. I thought thats why you picked that as the cutoff :kiddo:

A coincidence but round about what I was thinking, D2/WC3 were the last blizzard games I've really really enjoyed, since then it's been running the gamut from bad to okay.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I was making a joke

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I was making a joke

The real joke is Blizzard's writing!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Sorry, no update today. I just started a continuing education class for my job and it's sucking my will to live. Should go up tomorrow and hopefully I can keep on schedule after that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I just started a continuing education class for my job and it's sucking my will to live.

If it's any consolation your LP got me to start playing the game again. I got it when they first released Anniversary Edition, played a few hours then moved on. I enjoyed it but I got distracted by other stuff. Anyway, thanks for the LP and rekindling my interest in this game.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

White Coke posted:

If it's any consolation your LP got me to start playing the game again. I got it when they first released Anniversary Edition, played a few hours then moved on. I enjoyed it but I got distracted by other stuff. Anyway, thanks for the LP and rekindling my interest in this game.

I also started playing again and I forgot how satisfying rushing lightning bolt and chain lightning is. I'm most of the way through the second act and I don't even have a second mastery picked because who need anything that isn't lightning?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP has made me want to pick this back up, but Phantom Brave got to me first.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Have any of you guys played the mobile port? I've only played for a few minutes but it seems really faithful from what I can remember.

Controls are about as solid as they can be for an iPad and everything else seems the same.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah... I caved and started playing again too. I'm playing an old favourite; Assassin (Warfare + Rogue) - because who cares about defence, give me more DPS.

Forget mouse destruction; ouch my poor clicking hand. I'm certainly remembering that now.

I don't know how much they changed the loot tables in the Anniversary edition, but I'm having some amazing luck so far. I've found several blues and haven't even reached Delphi yet.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

So this is kinda a weird update, since we really don't hit a real town for the full duration. It's basically entirely monster slaughtering.

PS: Title Joke if you don't get it. Really just any chance to post ELO

EDIT: Also glad to hear that we've been dragging people down the wormhole. Warms my heart to see people destroying the tendons in their hands and also their lives.

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can just hold the mouse button down, you know.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Suspicious posted:

You can just hold the mouse button down, you know.

If I right-click to shield bash without ever letting go of the left button, my dude stops making normal left-click attacks after the bash goes off and I have to click on the target to start up again. I was playing earlier today and it was pretty annoying because I found myself standing in a giant mob of dudes not attacking anything more than once. I wonder if there's an option in the menu to toggle or something?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I've been playing Grim Dawn thanks to this thread, and I turned the 'hover over enemies to attack' option off pretty early on. Maybe it's 'cause I only really play ranged characters so I never actually click on guys and instead just shift-click in their general direction, but I found it more annoying than anything.

I also have the same problem with GD that I have with this game where the mastery system means there's so many options for classes that I end up playing Act 1 over and over and burn myself out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also, Agent, you can't put enough points into Wolf Summoning in normal to get the third wolf natively. You need to max it and have either a piece of equipment with +1 Nature skills, or max it and find one of those shrines that temp boosts your skills to have 3 running around in normal.

Definitely recommend maxing them ASAP though, helps loads with their suitability.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Stanfield posted:

I've been playing Grim Dawn thanks to this thread, and I turned the 'hover over enemies to attack' option off pretty early on. Maybe it's 'cause I only really play ranged characters so I never actually click on guys and instead just shift-click in their general direction, but I found it more annoying than anything.

I also have the same problem with GD that I have with this game where the mastery system means there's so many options for classes that I end up playing Act 1 over and over and burn myself out.

My solution to that is the same as it was in TQ - level a character to a point that isn't too painful without putting any points in attributes or skills. Find the save file and rename it a bunch of times, then use a character editor to change their names. You now have a bunch of characters that have cleared a quest or two legitimately and you can get a jump-start on with their skills.
Or just use a character editor to clear Act 1 and give yourself some levels/skill points. These aren't competitive games, so as long as you're having fun, who cares.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We're still in Act 1 and you guys are almost level 20. Are the other acts shorter or something? Cause you can prob hit 32 at this rate by act 2. Does the game expect you to have all the stat-ups from your skill points by that time?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was just having a look at the keybinds and you can apparently tell your pets to target something in particular - by ctrl-clicking on it. I don't know if that's new to the Anniversary edition; I've never really gone for pet builds.

Something that definitely is new though - and that I really appreciate - is the "quick pickup" button: "a" by default. No more having to individually click on each potion and pile of gold. Just be generally near them and hit "a" to suck them all up at once. (I think it covers beast bits and whatnot too.)

I've also been playing with item tags set to toggle rather than hold - another new thing (new to Titan Quest anyway) - not sure if I prefer it that way yet though.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
The earliest legendary you can get is in act 3... Normal. If you know how.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really want to play this game again but I'm too paralyzed by indecision on what mastery to use and I also want to convince a friend to buy it. :v:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

We're still in Act 1 and you guys are almost level 20. Are the other acts shorter or something? Cause you can prob hit 32 at this rate by act 2. Does the game expect you to have all the stat-ups from your skill points by that time?

It goes up to something like level 75. And in my experience the more players you have in a game the faster everyone levels, I guess because of how it does the difficulty increases.

And last time I played I did a straight hunter archer build only doing one skill point a level. A couple of spots were rough but it worked alright, so the two isn't absolutely required.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Another thing is that often in ARPGs like Titan Quest abs similar ones is you level up father quickly early on and you are able to get your bread and butter skills before it starts slowing down

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Finally make our way to Athens and all the coolness around town. Seriously though if you get a chance to go to the Parthenon replica (I said it wrong in the video, it's actually in Nashville) its pretty cool. http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parthenon.aspx

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Never played through this game, how much of it takes place in Greece and how much in other places?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Fun fact: "soda" is called "soft drink" here. I don't know why; maybe to differentiate it from "hard drink"?

Also I just fought ~Jacinto, the Rotten Hyacinth of Thessaly~ myself last night, in exactly the same place. I'm getting a lot of the same hero monsters as you guys, actually; I'm starting to think they're not that random.

Syncopated posted:

Never played through this game, how much of it takes place in Greece and how much in other places?

There are four acts (three without the expansion), and each act is in a different place; so about a quarter of it is in Greece. (... More or less.)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They're random but the same ones spawn in the same places. There might be 50 different act 1 normal heroes possible, and 'bob the gorilla' always spawns in more or less the same spot.

So while it's random whether or not you see bob the gorilla, it's not random where he actually is.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

Fun fact: "soda" is called "soft drink" here. I don't know why; maybe to differentiate it from "hard drink"?

Also I just fought ~Jacinto, the Rotten Hyacinth of Thessaly~ myself last night, in exactly the same place. I'm getting a lot of the same hero monsters as you guys, actually; I'm starting to think they're not that random.

There are four acts (three without the expansion), and each act is in a different place; so about a quarter of it is in Greece. (... More or less.)

I think soft drink goes back to when the soda jerk had to manually mix the soda and syrup, so yeah, a mixed drink without alcohol.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Get on my level fellas. Working on a warfare/defense mans right now. At level 10 I have 7 points in mastery (4 warfare/3 defense).

All of the other skill points are in warfare currently and I'm maxing out the defensive stuff/attack speed. This character is going to be a wall with 15% physical/piercing resist, 21% dodge + defense tree stuff.

It doesn't hurt that I'm keeping on top of resistance gear, either.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Just so everyone knows, Agent gave up his dinner so we could get this knock out. HE SACRIFICED FOR YOU LP THREAD. It had absolutely nothing to do with both of us forgetting the pacing of this section, why do you ask?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
He should sacrifice more tbh.

That helmet you picked up around the 17 minute mark is not a tebian helmet, it's a Theban helmet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I played through that section last night. The labyrinth just became boring after a while. They could have shortened it quite a bit while still making it seem mazelike.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

He should sacrifice more tbh.

That helmet you picked up around the 17 minute mark is not a tebian helmet, it's a Theban helmet.

I keep telling him this, it doesn't sink in.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Slaan posted:

I played through that section last night. The labyrinth just became boring after a while. They could have shortened it quite a bit while still making it seem mazelike.

On subsequent runthroughs I've learned to just run through the maze, stopping for big chests and shrines, or to fight dudes I can't shake.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
The only D&D opinion that I think is really bad that you expressed there is the "gently caress you play a rogue" one. Why do you have to be less effective just because your character concept is "sneaky guy" instead of "singing guy"? As long as you're roleplaying it appropriately and consistently what does it matter what the mechanics say you are? I see it as basically the same thing as changing the flavor of attacks to better fit the character. I like all the characters to pull their own weigh both in games I run and games I'm playing in though so I suppose I might just be coming at it from a bit of a different angle.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm gonna have to watch this ep. Imma be salty about some D&D opinions.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Funny you should mention grinding here; I am currently grinding this exact part (the final part of the labyrinth and the two bosses) trying to get the final part I need of an essence of the Valour of Achilles. (For an artefact.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The ideology eater posted:

The only D&D opinion that I think is really bad that you expressed there is the "gently caress you play a rogue" one. Why do you have to be less effective just because your character concept is "sneaky guy" instead of "singing guy"? As long as you're roleplaying it appropriately and consistently what does it matter what the mechanics say you are? I see it as basically the same thing as changing the flavor of attacks to better fit the character. I like all the characters to pull their own weigh both in games I run and games I'm playing in though so I suppose I might just be coming at it from a bit of a different angle.
Yeah. Personally I really hate the whole you are class x therefore you are only allowed to be a typical class x character. As long as it's not something dumb like playing a wizard, wearing plate and only hitting people with a sword obviously.

Slightly related: I once got told off by the gm because apparently my ranger was a fighter since I wasn't using "ranger weapons". My idea was a ranger with more of a strength focus with maces instead of agility and that was strictly verboten since all rangers are only ever maximum agile and uses two swords for melee with no exceptions.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not talking about people who want to be rangers but fit into weird archetypes. I'm specifically referring to people who want to be rogues but also want to powergame, so they turn the warlock into a rogue to do so. gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You have bad opinions about D&D, just for the record. As long as the group is happy, who cares if one guy is playing a sneaky stabby warlock (especially when there are abilities for both the 3rd and 4th edition warlock to make them sneaky and stabby!) instead of a rogue because rogue is a lovely, terrible class and he wants to be effective both in and out of combat? Let him. Now, if the guy is Powergamus Maximus and it's ruining the fun of other players at the table, that's a problem which can be addressed in a number of ways which don't include "No, you're playing a rogue as defined by my arbitrary guidelines so your character is a rogue, now gently caress off".

• Locked thread