Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've been thinking about patriotism a lot lately for whatever reason. The "nationalism" type of feeling where one feels loyal to people who live near them and are in their group, in some sense is felt by most people (in my experience) but not everyone. I'm in the camp of folks who don't have it at all - my stepmom once asked me what I'd do if china invaded our country(:confused: right) and was pretty offended by my answer of "learn mandarin". It's hard for me to say what would get me to violate the deep internalized ethical principle that says "stay far away from bullets".

That said, I started thinking about forums, and I really love this place. The thought I had was....I'd be more likely to risk my life and march to war (actual, literal, guns and tanks type war) for the sake of the something awful forums than I would for the united states of america. This website is more important to me than the borders of my nation, and if another armed force or nation state threatened it, I would reticently answer a call to arms. It wouldn't be something I took lightly and obviously it would take some soul-searching before I committed, but it's true. Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I wouldn't really want to march to war for SA either, I'd just more more willing to accept that than doing it for the US. (Not to mention my civil service would probably get me a relatively cushy officer's job - mad respect for any forums enlistees.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I will carry the flag for dgsw

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
no OP I would not

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i don't know but i've been told
the krusty meme is getting old

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have before and am willing to kill again for these drat forums

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i don't know but i've been told
the krusty meme is getting old

"digging" the new "av" ifkwim

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have been IP banned by Ebaumsworld from my home residence, fiancee's residence, and three different offices, so yeah I think you can say I've done my part in the forums war. :smuggo:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
depends.... who's the enemy?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Probably if China invaded but not for an internet website. I don't know why China would want to invade unless they just decide to exterminate the population. Otherwise that would certainly stretch them too thin and on the world stage Australia would quickly conquer the world once it had built up enough army units and hosed everyone over again. gently caress Risk and gently caress my brother Kurt.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

luv 2 date boys posted:

depends.... who's the enemy?

Glad you reregged so quick bud :glomp:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'd live in an australia-dominated world. i feel like people would just drink heavily and get bit by spiders

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

The Goon Berets

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Crash_N_Burn posted:

The Goon Berets

brown pants

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Depends op, how much yah paying me?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Nooner posted:

Glad you reregged so quick bud :glomp:

let's just say i had a..... gift certficate:grin:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
if by "march to war" you mean "get drunk and poo poo post" then yea

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
I wouldn't literally fight, but I'd be glad to buy an I Support Our Goon Troops bumper sticker and wristband and poo poo.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
Goons all want to die, they would be a very ineffective army.

That said, yes I would enlist if I knew I would die quickly.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I'm not sure if I would die for these forums but I would definitely kill for these forums

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
insider fact, the IMDB forums were taken down by a Cinema Discusso suicide bomber

it's kind of awkward seeing a guy say "I am here... now" before blowing himself up

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It's kinda sorta the good 'ole US of A with all the guns & nukes that keeps our Lowtax safe so we can have freedom of speech to threaten our chief executive.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Fart Puzzle posted:

I'm not sure if I would die for these forums but I would definitely kill for these forums

The trick is getting the posters of other forums to die for theirs.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I have plat so I'd be like, what, a non-commissioned officer? Sure, I'd probably join under those circumstances.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
As a ronin (a samurai without a master for those who know nothing of glorious nippon), my katana will only be unsheathed for a lord worthy of it. I know much of war, having been bullied throughout my childhood.

It will taste the sweet blood of the enemy if that lord is indeed you.... Jeffrey of YOSPOS.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

kecske posted:

I will carry the flag for dgsw

I will rescue that flag

Or buy a poo poo ton of flags with DGSWs avatar on it

Depends if Nooner is still alive after the first poo poo post shelling

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*ironically becomes hardened and ruthless just like our enemies after experiencing the horror of war, still won't eat vegetables*

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Gas gas, an ecstasy of probations

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
sure as long as I get to be either bazooka/flame thrower guy

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

The goon cooks would kill each other if they had to work together to feed the troops. Knives slowly jammed into mens chests in a desperate struggle, the final blood gargle saying, 'NO loving BEANS IN CHILLI'

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You have my keyboard, sir.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

We are already armed to the teeth, seems like everyone brought grenades

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ill be the coast guard

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah sure why not what else have I got to live for

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This is my keyboard. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My keyboard is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my keyboard is useless. Without my keyboard, I am useless. I must strike my keys true. I must type faster than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must troll him before he trolls me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my keyboard and myself are defenders of my forums, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Monos Bullet posted:

Goons all want to die, they would be a very ineffective army.

That said, yes I would enlist if I knew I would die quickly.

I'm told that not gaf about dying actually makes you a better soldier (short term I mean, "high k/d").
Unless you mean, they would clock out before combat.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Not after that weak-rear end probie you gave me earlier.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

goons will all bonk their heads together trying to dive on the first grenade thrown at them so nobody actually lands on it to absorb the explosion and everyone dies

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If by "march" you mean a sluggish waddle, YOURE GODDAMNED RIGHT SOLDIER OOH RAH!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Goin on long marches through the countryside to harden the gently caress up but instead of a rucksack and a assault rifle I'm carrying a printer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Marksmanship practice in the puckins patch and all the targets are furries or Juggalos

• Locked thread