Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Day 4: Captain Ultra

Very rarely have so many colors been combined in such an ugly way. This guy got superpowers accidentally when his hypnosis therapy to quit smoking went awry. It also gave him a crippling case of pyrophobia. Yes. That is what happened.

Griffen Gogol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Day 8: Kofi

Uh... you got me. Edge and Christian, maybe you have something on this one worth talking about?

Deviantart has always existed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A monster named "Null the Living Darkness" should really have a more interesting design than that has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Seth is quite an old transliteration, but I have a few mid-century mythology books that use it.

I've seen it in quite a few places. Most recently it's actually what they use in the Shin Megami Tensei game series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I believe he's an attorney at law.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"The general populace is unaware of Doughboy's existence" kind of sums him up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

That's probably just a coincidence, it's not like it's an entirely original design. Homestuck had a villain named Lord English that also had a cueball for a head, and talked in pool puns. I doubt the creator of Homestuck knew this one Marvel character too.

Nah, SotM's entire thing is that it has similar-but-different versions of heroes and villains. Pretty much every single character is a slight-knockoff of an existing character. (Though to their credit they have some pretty cool ways of making a character similar but different.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Ah, I've never heard of whatever that is. I just assumed it was some card game or webcomic.

It is a card game. it's a pretty fun one too. There's actually a digital version of it available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337150/

The art is completely goddamn poo poo early on but gets better as its expansions come out, though it's always pretty webcomicy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Doughboy and Joyboy need to team up

Jesus, that may be the most Deviantart set of panels I've ever seen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Special skills and abilities: Talent in painting."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar.

This is the most gloriously comic-book phrase. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Still better than her original costume, which is the most 12-year-old-boy thing ever.

"Never stop buying our comics, children."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, this is what Mr. Huge did before Buttlord GT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd really rather not see MODONK

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tato posted:

No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

I don't know what else to say besides "Garth Ennis"

I would have assumed this was a parody of Garth Ennis except you provided proof.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tigra just doesn't have like... a plot. She's a masturbatory fantasy with little else to her. Say what you want about She-Hulk but between her meta elements and her lawyer stuff she has a whole shitload of things to write about that aren't Hot Green Woman but nobody has ever given Tigra the time beyond the faintest lamest attempts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Geoff John's and Grant Morrison's use of him was brilliant though.

Mr. Mind was brilliant as early as the original (but unfortunately racist as poo poo) Monster Society of Evil arc. He owns and has always owned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Based on that Seanbaby article, those books would probably constitute some kind of a hate crime now.

Eh. Yes and no.

The original Whiz Comic books are all over the place. They have views which are genuinely something that would be considered progressive today. (There's an issue where Marvel argues that criminals are the product of their environment and suggests improving neighborhoods and housing rather than beating up the criminals for example.) And the actual stated goal was to be positive, inoffensive and not insult anyone. Unfortunately they are very much the product of their age and attempts to be inclusive are still poo poo that came across as awful. Steamboat (probably the most glaring of the horribly offensive ideas) was a legitimate honest attempt to include a black character and just critically failed in such a way that it was wildly offensive at the time, let alone these days. Likewise the Monster Society of Evil arc has tons of wartime overtones and there's no excusing it despite the fact it was a product of its time.

Basically they have a lot of positive and uplifting and good messages sandwiched in between horrifying racism. And the racism isn't the product of intentionally awful things but that doesn't excuse it and reading them means you have to be prepared for a sudden left turn into "holy gently caress' territory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Real name unknown? I had the tie-in book Hulk: The Incredible Guide when I was younger and it said that Tyrannus was in fact Romulus Augustulus, the last Emperor of Rome (whose fate remains mysterious to historians) who fled to his underground kingdom after he was deposed where he discovered the fountain of youth.

This is also what Newspaper Spider-Man states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Wow, Captain America can be a real dick.

Well, yeah, he's a Nazi.

• Locked thread