Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

Day 1: Chief Examiner

Who? Apparently a character created for a video game and promptly forgotten after a 12 issue mini that was cancelled after 3 issues. I vaguely remember this guy showing up in Quasar. But since I'm one of the only people that probably ever read Quasar I imagine he's a complete unknown to most comic fans.

Took me one sentence to remember he's the guy from the Questprobe computer games. I'd love to know if there's a Marvel character I wouldn't recognize. I'm hoping there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Got me there. I guess the Chief Examiner stands out more than this guy, because the Questprobe games are a fun little footnote in super hero games, and this dude is just...what? Leather dude that makes things sticky is just gross. Also funny that his last appearance was with the Chief Examiner in Quasar.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I believe Karnilla was the one that accidentally created the Wrecker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I forget the details in Heroes Return, but I remember one in human form causing Man Thing to spontaneously combust in fear with just a glance.

Then there was that three parter where Thor cracks open a Celestial's shell, going buck wild, trying to save a planet from judgement.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I never knew that context before and it makes this sequence even better:

The one on the right had a pretty bitchin' Heroclix figure. Not as cool as Galactus, but cool.

It'll be interesting to see what Ewing does with the new cosmic hierarchy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The serpent society is such a poo poo idea for a villain group. "Oh, we have a bunch of boring snake themed villains because snake=evil is a really simple concept. They should team up and never ever go away." They don't even have shared goals or anything, they just all had the same uninspired idea for a costume/codename.

It doesn't help that everyone gets them confused with the sons of the serpent, a more interesting yet equally overexposed villain group.

Have to disagree. Them and the Wrecking Crew are always welcome jobbers when you need to make your hero look cool while setting up the main plot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Did PAD's Hulk deal with these guys? Or am I thinking of, like, a fake Greek Pantheon?

You're thinking of the Pantheon. Descendants of characters from Greek myths or something.

Wasn't Cloud from the Defenders part of Ego or something? I think it had a relationship with Iceman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Zodiac was all up in Amazing Spider-Man post Secret Wars.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All I really know about the Reavers is Bonebreaker's 90's action figure, and Psylocke just tearing through them in Uncanny X-Force.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Day 24: Midnight Sun

This is another character that I know I've read because I've read the Silver Surfer issues listed below. But I don't remember a single thing about him. He has metal discs on his hands and feet though. So that's a thing. A hat like that seems like a no-no for space travel though.

Looks like crime noir Mister Miracle.

The Trump: How many villains have tried to blind Daredevil?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Royal Flush Gang has nothin' on those guys. Like they escaped a giant pool table in Murderworld.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't Toad join Frog Man and Spider Kid as a team called the Misfits? I remember a pretty epic cover.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Animen would be my jobbers of choice because the Wrecking Crew and Serpent Society are so played out.

As ironic as current writers are, I can't believe we're this far into this millennium without Deadpool shoving Doughboy into a giant oven, or him brutally murdering someone in a Bendis book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Any writer worth their page rate would use the Spot. Bendis falls far short of Waid's use of him in Daredevil though. That was some amazing stuff.

Daredevil fighting the Spot feels like one of those things that Waid came up with in a lucid dream, like DD driving a car. The guy lives super heroes.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 17, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Back when Adam Warlock was just Him (a golden muscle man in a speedo), he kidnapped Sif, deeming her a perfect mate. Thor went berserk with the warrior madness, and beat Him so badly, he had to return to his cocoon. The punishment for losing his godly cool, Odin sent Thor to investigate Galactus in the Odinship; Odin's personal space ship.

It was a great, early cosmic Marvel saga, but really not that crazy as far as Kirby could get.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I made an X-Men ABC book when I was in third grade in like 93'-94', and Zero saved my rear end at the end. Only knew he existed because of a Mutant Liberation Front card.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Whizzer I was one of the Six Forgotten Warriors in the 90s Spider-Man animated series story arc of the same name. They were a team from World War 2 (and so were all elderly) with connections to Captain America who was trapped in another dimension wrestling Red Skull for 50 years, etc.

Upon introducing himself as The Whizzer and getting an incredulous reaction from Spider-Man he just says "It was a different time, okay?"

Wasn't Electro like Red Skull's son or something? I just remember those episodes leading to an Electro action figure with his Revenge of the Sinister Six cannons, and a Captain America with a dinky little shield. I think that line had a light up gimmick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Holy poo poo Shadowhawk.

That guy deserves a thread. Imagine just pages upon pages of spreads of a guy in metallic chrome yelling about having AIDs. I mean it was kind of awesome.

Now imagine a ten year old boy pretending to be Shadowhawk as his friend acts like Spawn. That was me. I also have the entire card set. Never owned or read a Shadowhawk comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Seeing Cap face down in an obese man's tit, I'm finally over the classic Cap costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

gently caress. Now I want Mystique to infiiltrate the Skrulls. I'm just going to put Mystique Agent of S.W.O.R.D. out there.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 14, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mystique copies Death and fools Thanos. An escalating series of events where she's in over her head.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

joehonkie posted:

I just remember her crossover character for Amalgam was Dial H for Hero.

Dial a HUSK. She'd tear her skin off to reveal a different hero underneath. It was a cool, creepy, visual.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

redbackground posted:

:engleft: Dial H.U.S.K.

e:

Yeah, yeah. I have that whole card set, and the DC vs Marvel one. Nightcreeper was another favorite.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rirse posted:

And yet this guy was worthy of a Marvel Legend, so someone must remember him.

Looks like Ed McGuinness' Tiger Shark. Only time I thought the character looked cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I liked when he became 3D Man and joined the Skrull Kill Krew in Secret Invasion. That's all I got for him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Knives Amilli posted:

As a kid, I remember seeing the Age of Apocalypse Sabretooth toy (with a Wild Child accessory figure as he was Creeds "dog" in that reality) and thinking Wild Child was Creeds Cabana Boy or some poo poo like that.

That was a sweet set of toys. Weapon X had different hand attachments, including a machine gun. Apocalypse had a buzz saw hand, and Magneto had a big metal hand that went over his regular hand.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Selachian posted:

There must be a special level of shame associated with having your first appearance be in Dazzler.

The twist is that there's no shame in Dazzler.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

When I become a famous comic writer, the Death Throws will be my Kite Man.

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

Anyone who's read their Bible knows a major distinguishing feature of Satan is his stomach face, which I guess makes all yall heathens.

I'm going to take this at stomach face value, and believe it's true.

• Locked thread