Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes. Don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mostly I was posting to warn people they're out there in forms other than text. I was not expecting to just run into them without seeking them out.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The show has got me hooked. There have been some pretty amazing TV seasons in the last year, but Riverdale is scratching an itch I didn't know I had.

I know this is a CW show, and I've watch a lot of CW shows going back to TVD, but this is a shockingly attractive cast even by their standards.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Alright, here's some trivia for y'all; I would have posted sooner but I've been on vacation. There were a number of easily-missable references to the comics in the first four episodes, so I thought I'd list some of them here:

"The Town With PEP!" - Archie's first appearance was in Pep Comics in 1941. Incidentally, 1941 is also noted in the first episode to be the year Riverdale High opened its doors.

MLJ Comics - The old comics place we see in the establishing shots is named MLJ--MLJ Comics was the name of Archie Comics before Archie shot to prominence

Little Archie - Archie is relaying a story to Veronica about Betty and himself as kids, and in that story, she calls him "Little Archie". Amusingly enough, this is how Archie was always referred to in the Little Archie comics--not simply "Archie", but "Little Archie". Even as teenagers, when the comics characters would talk about their childhoods, they would refer to him as Little Archie.

Sugar Sugar - A lesser-known fact about this song is that it was actually performed by The Archies in real life. Archie was popular enough back then that the company actually had a real Archies band performing songs, and this was their biggest hit.

Madame Satan - Kevin refers to Cheryl as Madame Satan--Madame Satan was a horror character invented by MLJ comics a long time ago, eventually forgotten when Archie overshadowed everything. She was recently revived (quite literally too, in the comics) and is pulling double duty as a villain on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and as a supervillain on The Fox.

Greendale - Jason made it to the Greendale side of Sweetwater River--Greendale is the home of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (sometimes, this is before or after living in Riverdale). Sacasa's mentioned that he had some ideas for her appearance, but I'm thinking we shouldn't expect her to show up this season. I doubt she'll actually be magical but it would be great if she was!

Southside Serpents - The Southside Serpents are some kind of biker gang here, but in the comics, they were just a gang of kids who would stir up trouble for Little Archie.

Other notes:

Geraldine Grundy - The pic accompanying the real Grundy's obituary has her wearing Ms. Grundy's traditional outfit.

Valerie Smith - In the classic-style comics, Archie and Valerie got together, much to the chagrin of Betty and Veronica. There seemed to be some hints of that happening here.

Betty's Diary - A staple in Archie Comics; Betty even had her own comic called Betty's Diary for a time.

Jennifer Gibson and Joaquin - As far as I can tell, these are the only characters who were completely made up for the show. Everyone else--even the ones who are only mentioned in passing--is a pre-existing character.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to know where the version of Candy Girl used in the intro to Ironicus and Wife's podcast came from. It sounds like the kind of ridiculous parody you'd hear on the Simpsons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

I just want to know where the version of Candy Girl used in the intro to Ironicus and Wife's podcast came from. It sounds like the kind of ridiculous parody you'd hear on the Simpsons.

In his review, Sepinwall pointed out a TV movie made in the early 90s called To Riverdale and Back Again, which featured Jughead and his son doing an atrocious hip-hop take on "Sugar Sugar." When I read about that I decided I never needed to hear it in my life.

Thanks, Grant and Elena, you jerks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's exactly where it's from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
That was so much worse than I could have imagined. The 90s, man.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who the hell would ever think that the moaning at 30 seconds is a good idea? He sounds like a mentally handicapped serial rapist with asthma.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The story of that movie is somehow more hosed up than this new series. Archie is engaged and going to be a lawyer, but he returns to Riverdale for a high school reunion. Betty is in an abusive marriage and Veronica can't stop getting divorced. All of them seeing each other again leads to everybody forgetting Archie is engaged as Archie gets torn between Betty and Veronica, and ultimately throws his future away to stay in Riverdale forever.

Meanwhile, Jughead is going through a divorce and has trouble connecting with his son because he's so messed up by it.

The whole thing is up on YouTube if you wanna watch it. You know you wanna watch it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well now we can add Lady Blossom to the list of Riverdale's compete psychopaths.

EDIT: Oh God, it's Silent Grandma. I've played Resident Evil 7, I know how this goes. :stare:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 24, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh my god Cheryl in the white outfit

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
haha senile demonic grandma is the best.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mr. Cooper joins the psycho list. It's a worryingly long list.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I'm glad they're going for Archie + Valerie, I always liked that pairing. Although I guess in this show I shouldn't hope for a happy ending there.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So that was a wild episode that was thoroughly entertaining. I half-expected Grandma Blossom to unhinge her jaw and try to eat Betty or something. Like I said, I've played Resident Evil 7. Trust no grandmas. :tinfoil:

My only complaint is the same as it is every week; Archie has nothing to do with anything! He's just off in the corner, strumming his guitar, pulling a High School Musical and angsting about being too good at too many things. Meanwhile, his friends are off conducting an honest-to-god clandestine murder investigation, or trying to prevent the one remaining Blossom child from being sacrificed by her parents to the dark gods they worship (seriously, Alice Cooper looks reasonable next to the Blossoms).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
At two, maybe three points during this episode, I yelled out "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?" At this rate, by the time the finale airs, I'm just going to be off in a corner repeatedly muttering "Somebody call somebody," like that dude at the end of Se7en.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I loved Veronica's line about "the Gothic Horror that is Cheryl's life"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Spergatory posted:

My only complaint is the same as it is every week; Archie has nothing to do with anything! He's just off in the corner, strumming his guitar, pulling a High School Musical and angsting about being too good at too many things. Meanwhile, his friends are off conducting an honest-to-god clandestine murder investigation, or trying to prevent the one remaining Blossom child from being sacrificed by her parents to the dark gods they worship (seriously, Alice Cooper looks reasonable next to the Blossoms).
On the one side there are two houses full of hateful/mentally ill people and a murder mystery concerning a Romeo and Juliet pairing.
On the other, there is a guy who has trouble focusing on football because he's also kinda into music. It really feels like those are two different shows.

But Archie was always the least interesting part of Archie, so I guess that's just consistent.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 24, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This. Show. So good.

Perfect timing to dig into Cheryl Blossom's backstory.

Also holy poo poo Fred. Do not fall for Hermoine. You goddamn idiot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"The horror! The horror!" I love Jughead. That was another great episode. Loving this show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Spergatory posted:

Mr. Cooper joins the psycho list. It's a worryingly long list.

Looking forward to the scene in the season finale when he's being hauled in for murder and the deputy is giving him the "And all for...what? For a little bit of syrup? There's more to life than a little syrup, you know" speech.

Kidding, of course, because there's no way Mr. Cooper did it. In shows like this, nobody with probable cause/a blood feud who would break into the sheriff's house to steal evidence in episode 5 if they had actually committed the crime.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 24, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's gonna turn out to be someone who has it in for the Andrews family, who mistook Jason for Archie. Archie is gonna go the whole season not realizing his friends are solving a murder, and in the season finale they'll save him from the murderer who's still targeting him and he'll finish the season having no clue what just happened. Classic Andrews!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Argue posted:

It's gonna turn out to be someone who has it in for the Andrews family, who mistook Jason for Archie. Archie is gonna go the whole season not realizing his friends are solving a murder, and in the season finale they'll save him from the murderer who's still targeting him and he'll finish the season having no clue what just happened. Classic Andrews!

Betty and Veronica both try to explain it to him over dinner, but he thinks they're both asking him out. For some reason, he schedules those dates at the same time. Then he spends all evening switching between the girls without focusing on what they have to say.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cant cook creole bream posted:

Betty and Veronica both try to explain it to him over dinner, but he thinks they're both asking him out. For some reason, he schedules those dates at the same time. Then he spends all evening switching between the girls without focusing on what they have to say.

Meanwhile, Cheryl has strapped Jughead to a stone altar and is preparing to sacrifice him to Baphomet in exchange for her brother's resurrection, while Josie and the Pussycats mount a desperate, last-ditch defence against the armies of the swamp men.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo Veronica's mom is the actress who played the 4th Audrey in National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I think betty's dad is a fake out. He stole the evidence because he thinks polly is the killer

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everything is a fake-out. The killer is going to be a side character with no previously established motivation that will exposition at length as to why they did what they did and elaborate on how they were totally there all the time. Then they'll die or go to jail. Archie's abs will also mysteriously keep appearing in the frame. I will be shocked if the ending is anything else considering how by the numbers teenage drama this show has been so far. Did none of you watch season 2 of Veronica Mars back in the days? Or at least watch Scream last year?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

To be fair, you could make an argument that the villain of season 1 Veronica Mars came out of nowhere too and that season is perfect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You know who has some form of motive and is always around, biding his time?
Regis! He really wanted to become quarterback. Archie dodged a bullet when he forfeited that position.

To be honest, I like it if whodunnits are confident enough to do something a bit out of the left field. But there's a gradient between "The murder was plainly obvious and it is weird that he wasn't caught instantly.", "This character did it. You wouldn't really suspect him but it kinda makes sense.", "He was killed by a person who is really into shooting random strangers in the woods." and "Demon aliens from a parallel universe used mind control on a badger to make it kill him as part of their mating ritual."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Polly demonically possessed Betty and through her murdered Jason. Betty is unaware of what happened. Their dad is aware of Polly's psychic powers and Betty's involvement and is doing whatever he can to cover it all up.

Prove me wrong.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Polly demonically possessed Betty and through her murdered Jason. Betty is unaware of what happened. Their dad is aware of Polly's psychic powers and Betty's involvement and is doing whatever he can to cover it all up.

Prove me wrong.

Depends on if Sabrina is in this season. Also, I'm gonna need a few more references to The King in Yellow before I buy into this theory.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Can they even use Sabrina? A quick google search of who has the TV rights to the character brings up an interview with Mellissa Joan Hart implying it might be split up

Mellissa Joan Hart posted:

"They're throwing around Clarissa and Sabrina ideas, but it depends on who's going to give up rights, who's going to do it, how's it going to be done? It's a lot of politics and we are nowhere near doing anything."

The final seasons of that show were on the WB so in theory it should be good I think but I can't find anything confirming that.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I think the showrunners have already confirmed sabrina is going to be on the show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show is amazing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Everything is a fake-out. The killer is going to be a side character with no previously established motivation that will exposition at length as to why they did what they did and elaborate on how they were totally there all the time. Then they'll die or go to jail. Archie's abs will also mysteriously keep appearing in the frame. I will be shocked if the ending is anything else considering how by the numbers teenage drama this show has been so far. Did none of you watch season 2 of Veronica Mars back in the days? Or at least watch Scream last year?

What the hell is with the Veronica Mars mystery hate that occasionally crops up on these forums? Season 2 has to take you down a LOT of narrative dead ends, but the central mystery and motivation is laid out quite well.

I will not defend Season 3, though.

My big worry is that Riverdale plays with gothic imagery, is on the CW, and loves that Twin Peaks vibe... I do not want supernatural poo poo in my Riverdale.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

My big worry is that Riverdale plays with gothic imagery, is on the CW, and loves that Twin Peaks vibe... I do not want supernatural poo poo in my Riverdale.

Speak for yourself. I'm 100% down for an Afterlife with Archie adaptation, as long as somebody other than Jughead is patient zero. Maybe Cheryl convinces Sabrina to try and resurrect zombie Jason.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Actually the season finale is going to be a crossover as it turns out Barry Allen was the killer all along.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

MiddleOne posted:

Actually the season finale is going to be a crossover as it turns out Barry Allenthe Punisher was the killer all along.

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In last week's episode, when Cheryl confronts Veronica with the photo of her mom, Cheryl mispronounces "Hermes".

I wonder if that was intentional or the director/actress simply didn't know.

• Locked thread