Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

xeria posted:

Compare to Riverdale, especially the scenes only Grundy or her and Archie are privy to -- we see her overtly manipulating him into not going to the police ("No, you see, I care about you, and if you tell them then I would be in trouble and they'd keep us apart. You don't want that, do you?"), then effectively rewarding him for leaving her out of his July 4th story to the police to protect her, and then that last shot of her lolita-glasses'ing at other presumably high school boys on her way out of town. Even with her domestic abuse story, however much of it is actually true, the show paints her in a light that's pretty explicitly "she is predatory and cannot be trusted".
I assume the story is not true at all because it's basically the perfect story to manipulate Archie into doing what she wants. If it happened to be true, that would be a huge coincidence. Also, when she was trying to convince Archie not to talk to the cops she kept implying that he'd be in trouble as well, not just that he should stay quiet to protect her.

Jamesman posted:

Cordelia from Buffy. A person who feels pressured and compelled to act high and mighty but will eventually (hopefully) get over their poo poo and become a cool person and do cool things bland and pointless character.
FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is pretty much just wild speculation, but one thing that occurred to me is that Polly might be missing. It would explain why Alice won't let Betty go visit her, and would open up the possibility of her being a suspect in the murder.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As well as not posting spoilers, could we also not post about the spoilers, or edge around them in that way where you're sort of talking about them but not really? I don't even care about the spoilers themselves, but this "ooh, there's some things in THESE SPOILERS that I think you MAY or MAY NOT find VERY INTERESTING!" bullshit is super annoying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh my god Cheryl in the white outfit
Kevin's "Yes!" when she appeared was the highlight of the episode.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think betty's dad is a fake out. He stole the evidence because he thinks polly is the killer
That seemed pretty obvious to me. So obvious that maybe we're supposed to think that but actually it's something else. Like maybe he thinks Clifford Blossom did it and wants to prove it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

My big worry is that Riverdale plays with gothic imagery, is on the CW, and loves that Twin Peaks vibe... I do not want supernatural poo poo in my Riverdale.
For me, the fact that the source material includes time travel, zombies, magic, etc. is a point in its favour. You can never discount the possibility that something really weird is just around the corner.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess I'm just wondering why they'd bother putting the Archie paint on this thing; just make your own show. Whatever, I guess it made me watch it, but I can't say I'm invested.
I guess because it gets people to watch it? I wouldn't have bothered if it was just advertised as some generic teen drama.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rich families did this poo poo, and worse, to their 'unruly' daughters all the time back in the day.
And still do.

cant cook creole bream posted:

"Take a woman of color. We have a brand to uphold."
I was wondering about that, is Veronica's mother supposed to be South American or something? Or did Josie just completely ignore her mother's instruction there?

Pan Dulce posted:

Was also thinking if they were going to pull a "Veronica sucks at singing," the way they did in some of the comics; it changed around depending on the issue, I think.
I was absolutely convinced that they were going to have Veronica get kicked out of both performances and never end up singing at all, making it impossible to tell if she was actually a good singer or not. Like, maybe she just thinks she's a good singer but she's actually terrible, or maybe she's a brilliant singer, and no one will ever find out. Slightly disappointed that she actually did end up on stage.

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Y'know what? In a world where commercial breaks are becoming increasingly irrelevant, I'm okay with them switching entirely to in-show product placement. Ditch all ads. A three second shot of a Maybeline product versus a thirty to forty-five second ad? No contest.
:same:

Jamesman posted:

Never watched that show, but I read about it and admittedly forgot about it. Yeah, this is definitely worse.
That is amazing. :allears:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the original pilot draft had a number of interesting changes -- though I think the main loss is that Kevin's a bit more of an actual character (I suspect someone suggested that the original script was too gay).
It's interesting that Jughead seems to have almost entirely replaced him now. Episode one, he's Betty's best friend. Episode six, he's basically a background character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes but they do inexplicably have a nightclub.
Exactly one, I assume.

Edmund Lava posted:

What is this in reference to? Google isn't being very helpful here.
Sex Archie, a very good podcast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I'm an episode behind so I'm not going to read the thread yet to see if anyone commented, but Jughead's search engine of choice when solving a mystery is Sleuthster :stare: This show is so for me.

Veronica's American Excess card is my favourite thing in the show so far.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cheryl Blossom is the best character.

Shneak posted:

I like that even the Coopers buy Blossom Syrup because apparently supporting local businesses comes before grudges.
I noticed that. It seemed odd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like Kevin's mandatory line "You all need tracking devices"
"Hello, yes, I still exist! OK, bye."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I finally finished the first season and I have the same expression as Cheryl's when she burned their mansion down

I love her, she is so awful it's amazing

She's the best thing about the show by far.

• Locked thread