Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Alice is right but nobody pays attention to her, and Jason wanted to run because the Blossoms are occultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, controlling as Alice is I think there's definitely something up with Polly. There was a fun theory Betty actually is Polly and maybe that's why she's hella medicated, but this many episodes in I can't see that making any sense whatsoever.

Betty is hands down going to snap and think she's her sister at some point, though. Like in a bigger way than we saw with Chuck. I hope so, anyway. poo poo would be glorious-- from day one I've been sure 'Betty is gonna crack' will be a big part of the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For what it's worth, the show runner is the current CCO of Archie Comics. I don't think this was just 'let's make a teen show and slap these known characters in it'.

I mean, I could be wrong. But when I learned that dude was involved was the moment I told myself I would watch the premiere, and I'm glad I did.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Netflix is pretty good about CW in general in other countries. The 100 has the same deal here in Canadia.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the CW rights being split is a little annoying, but I don't mind the DC stuff being mostly on CTV. Arrow is old enough to have been grabbed up by CTV before Netflix really started doing much in terms of day and date or day after broadcast rights here. Makes sense CTV would want to keep all the stuff that does crossovers under one umbrella.

I also don't watch those shows so not much loss for me, personally.

e: what I want most is for older CW stuff to pop up on Netflix Canada more often.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cheryl is my new Blair Waldorf, and I desperately needed that in my life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Is this show off for a few weeks?

It doesn't air on Wednesdays. Or did you see a schedule saying it isn't on tmw?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RIP.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Codependent Poster posted:

Archie should totally get with Cheryl.

It's Archie. If he doesn't get with every girl, they're doing it wrong.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mameluke posted:

Just like how comic book Veronica is basically two different people and they've chosen to run with "unconditional super-friend" as her main characterization while shunting "petty, vain, and rich" into her backstory

She's always been a rich bitch with a heart of gold, but I feel like pushing her more shallow and conceited side to the back burner was the best choice. If only to write around making it believable for her to be best friends with Betty and co, since in the comics they have the excuse of all growing up together.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, really? I always assumed in the classics they all grew up together. Granted I only ever read a shitload of the digests as a kid, never anything with real continuity.

But yeah, this version certainly works best at selling her and Betty as best friends, tho it felt like they did a time jump between episodes one and two where V was suddenly hella close with the core gang.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Most of our gang violence is on the eastern side of the country, though Vancouver has its fair share. Prince George is really bad in BC in recent years.

Anecdotally ever member of the HA I've met in BC has been a total sweetheart. Could be biased tho, my dad was a biker.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I only really noticed Cheryl ever sounding stilted in some of her delivery this episode, and then she was fine again when she was being bitchy.

Dialogue's always been not great in this show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cant cook creole bream posted:

Geez Archie. It's less than a week ago that your girlfriend broke up with you because you were dating another woman. Settle down a bit.

He's Archie. Dating every girl is what he does.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope he moves onto Ethel soon. Jughead is the worst part of this show for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aleph Null posted:

If you liked Veronica Mars, you should like Jughead.

Edit: I think liking Veronica Mars may be a prerequisite for liking Riverdale, to be quite honest.

Veronica Mars is one of my top 5 shows, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way Jughead is portrayed on the show. Just because he narrates the show and has snark doesn't make him as well written or have the depth of a character like Veronica.

Now, for what it's worth I think Cole Sprouse is doing a fine job, and he makes what he's given work well enough. I just find Jughead to be a tired character type, personally, one that grates on me when writers don't do something new or interesting with it. This may well happen in the future, but for now he's my least favourite character.

My biggest issue with him isn't even all of that, though. Were this the same show with different character names he would just be the token angsty/serious outcast member of a teen show's cast. But for an Archie show he sticks out as the character with the least resemblence to what I think of as his comic counterpart. Everybody else has reminded me of their comic selves in great ways, while still doing a fun twist on the character. Cole Sprouse is just playing a guy in Jughead's clothes. Even something as simple as having him eating in half of his scenes would improve it for me.

It's not personal, it's drag just like, my opiniom man.

e: oh and fwiw to compare the show to vmars as a whole is very fair/valid imo. there's also strong hints of gossip girl and twin peaks that tickle my fancy.

jughead is dan humphrey, gross

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 18, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree they're self aware in a good way about the archetypes portrayed, in general really. It's the strongest link to Twin Peaks for me, beyond the obvious ones that Veronica Mars also used. The show plays with the teen drama/CW formula, amps it up and then twists it in ways, like TP with soaps.

These past three episodes have been very strong for me, and I'm decently confident they will begin doing more interesting things now that the groundwork is laid and the main players developed somewhat.

I'm not sure they will ever make Jughead feel like Jughead to me, they would have to lighten him up a lot more for my taste to make it fit right-- and that could happen and work if they take their time with it. Though if they just play with the angsty/outcast archetype and move him forward in refreshing ways, make me care for him more I'll be glad whether he feels like Jug to me or not. But it's an ensemble show and there's bound to be one or two characters who rub someone the wrong way. Certainly doesn't ruin or bring down the show for me.

There's a lot of potential bubbling under the surface in Riverdale atm and I'm excited to see which direction everything goes in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

someone awful. posted:

How has the show gone this long without jughead eating a single burger dammit

Forever this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

We didn't see him eat any tho, did we?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jamesman posted:

I should have seen that reveal coming a mile away. This show is inspired by Twin Peaks so (Twin Peaks spoiler) of course the dad did it.

Speaking of which, there are so many scenes with Alice Cooper handling pie or making pie, and I love it. Serving Shelly Johnson realness.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinterest Mom posted:

the avclub spoiled me that (HUGE SPOILERS) jughead eats a hamburger in tonight's episode

Finally.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just upset Betty said 'something wicked this way comes' and I got a halfie thinking Sabrina would appear in the end.

loving blue balls.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Archie meets The Punisher WHEN

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I 100% want them to pivot into the supernatural ala Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

If they pivot into zombies, though, I think I'm out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This video has been removed by the user.

Rude.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'd rather Sabrina be in Riverdale than have her own show, but this could be fun. I imagine they'll do a backdoor pilot of some kind to establish her, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Why in 2017 would anyone assume the two shows wouldn't be in a shared universe?

Especially on CW. I wasn't implying they wouldn't be shared, just that Sabrina will show up on RD first to establish her poo poo.

tbh the idea of a shared Archie universe is precisely why I don't want Sabrina to get her own show. I like Riverdale a lot, but enough to invest in two shows ...? Eh.

We'll see how her show is, I guess.

• Locked thread