Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to say again; I don't know if it's the lighting, the cinematography, the acting, or all three, but this show has some intense emotions going on, to the point where I feel like any of these characters could commit murder at any given moment.

Also, I kind of dig the reinterpretation of Jughead's weird crown thing to this weird beanie thing. They're both slightly ridiculous but the beanie feels ridiculous in a way that someone would actually be willing to indulge in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is, of course, assuming they get more than one season. Which I kind of hope they do, just so they can go further down the crazy hole. I want actual witch Sabrina. I want time travel and zombies. Hell, loving Sam and Dean can ride through town for a crossover episode and comment on how freaky and hosed up Riverdale is.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really hope the gay kid killed Jason, mostly because I want him off the show. As a gay man, I've had enough of that grating stereotype to last me several lifetimes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I am in the middle of a Google search for "weird Archie comics" and there's just. So much. It's wonderful. Please get weird, show. Give me Archie vs Predator. Give me Jughead's Time Police. Give me zombies and necromancy. loving hell, bring on the cast of Glee and have them fight the Ninja Turtles. Just loving do it. It's in the comics! There's precedent for this poo poo! Let's go hog loving wild! The CW will never know what hit it! :kheldragar:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Riverdale s02e07 - "Crisis on Multiple Earths, part 3" - When Marshall January McAndrews traces a time aberration to Central City following the disappearance of its hero, The Flash, it's up to Jughead and his time-travelling beanie to set things right, with the help of his friends' alteregos, the Superteens of Earth-T. Meanwhile, Damien Dahrk's latest plan hits a snag when he realizes that his target, Greendale, is under the protection of a powerful family of witches.

The show is produced by Berlanti so it could happen someday!

You joke, but given the direction the the CW has been going for the past few years, I fully expect some kind of crisis crossover mega show to happen at some point. Crossovers and shared universes slowly took over the comics and movie worlds, now it's only natural that TV join the trend. They've already done it with all their superhero shows, it's only a matter of time before their various other shows with modern settings get pulled into the all-consuming crossover void.

Seriously though, at the very least, I want the Legends to crash land in Riverdale and abduct Jughead for an episode as a nod to Jughead's Time Police. Naturally, the episode would end with Jughead having a fight to the death with his evil alt-earth doppelganger in a hotel lobby.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh God. There's going to be an Archieverse, isn't there?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love that Betty and Veronica are responsible for like 90% of the stuff that actually moves the plot forward while Jughead narrates and Archie is just kinda... there.

Bitches get poo poo DONE. :boom:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, that episode was weird. Can we not with the sympathetic child molesters? If that was a male teacher having a sexual relationship with a female student, it would be loving creepy and the show would 100% know it was loving creepy. I feel like the show doesn't necessarily know how creepy Ms. Grundy is. Like I feel like that entire storyline was some adolescent fantasy of one of the main writers and he decided to live it out through Archie. It was weird. Anyway, I'm glad it's over.

Also Jughead is homeless? And his dad is apparently a gangbanger? Whaaaaaaat.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Is Jughead ever going to eat a hamburger on this show or what

He's homeless. He can't afford burgers. Why do you think he started eating that kid's sundae last week? He was hungry.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just hope that now that Archie is out of the Grundy quagmire, he can actually be, like, a friend to people. I'm pretty sure Archie is generally supposed to be a pretty decent dude, but the show started with him at his shittiest and most oblivious and all of his plots so far have been about him being kind of a dick. But most of him being a dick can actually be traced back to him being under Grundy's spell, so now that he's out of it, I want to see the guy Betty and Jughead were willing to put up with so much poo poo in order to get back.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Since Jason actually died a week after he disappeared, it could even have been Grundy Gibson who killed him, though that seems a little too easy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Been doing some reading up on the character histories, and boy would it be a waste if they didn't cast Dylan Sprouse as Jughead's identical cousin Nathan.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Previously.tv has some dude who posted spoilers and so far they've been 100% accurate. If you're so inclined...

Apparently there have been some full-on leaks because I just saw gifs of a scene that definitely has not happened yet, and all I can say is :aaa:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mostly I was posting to warn people they're out there in forms other than text. I was not expecting to just run into them without seeking them out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to know where the version of Candy Girl used in the intro to Ironicus and Wife's podcast came from. It sounds like the kind of ridiculous parody you'd hear on the Simpsons.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well now we can add Lady Blossom to the list of Riverdale's compete psychopaths.

EDIT: Oh God, it's Silent Grandma. I've played Resident Evil 7, I know how this goes. :stare:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 24, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mr. Cooper joins the psycho list. It's a worryingly long list.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So that was a wild episode that was thoroughly entertaining. I half-expected Grandma Blossom to unhinge her jaw and try to eat Betty or something. Like I said, I've played Resident Evil 7. Trust no grandmas. :tinfoil:

My only complaint is the same as it is every week; Archie has nothing to do with anything! He's just off in the corner, strumming his guitar, pulling a High School Musical and angsting about being too good at too many things. Meanwhile, his friends are off conducting an honest-to-god clandestine murder investigation, or trying to prevent the one remaining Blossom child from being sacrificed by her parents to the dark gods they worship (seriously, Alice Cooper looks reasonable next to the Blossoms).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

My big worry is that Riverdale plays with gothic imagery, is on the CW, and loves that Twin Peaks vibe... I do not want supernatural poo poo in my Riverdale.

Speak for yourself. I'm 100% down for an Afterlife with Archie adaptation, as long as somebody other than Jughead is patient zero. Maybe Cheryl convinces Sabrina to try and resurrect zombie Jason.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm starting to gunk that Archie is just there as a baseline, to remind us what relatively normal teenager-hood looks like so the bugfuck insane antics of everyone else are placed in the proper context.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Troposphere posted:

it's super normal to gently caress your music teacher as a 15 year old, agreed

Well, more normal than having a quasi-incestuous relationship with your dead twin, being a teenage transient/son of a gang leader, being a reformed rich girl/daughter of a crime boss, or having a fully formed split personality, at least.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh God, Polly is somewhere even worse than a mental hospital; they sent her to a Catholic School. :gonk:

EDIT: Christ, these people are monstrous. This is somehow more unsettling than actual horror shows because this seems like something a control-freak patent could and would actually do to their daughter.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 3, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Parents are the worst. At this point, I want all the kids to run away and live in a van solving mysteries. Vegas can come too. Not Hot Dog, though. They only need one dog. :shittydog:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"I was born alone, I'll die alone. I'll sing alone." :)

Jesus Christ, Archie. That's a little morbid. :stare:

EDIT: Man, everybody's kissing everybody this episode. I just--

HEY. NO. YOU LEAVE JUGHEAD ALONE. :argh:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really think that whoever said Archie remains blissfully unaware of the A plot until the others wind up somehow saving him from it might be dead on.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Also: shout out to the fact that Jughead just so happened to start smooching Betty in the same episode where Betty gave him a bunch of free food.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

So yeah, Archie is actually a supporting character to Betty and Veronica who are the actual main stars of the show.

The promo for next week seems to suggest it's pretty much the Jughead show. There is not even a hint of another character having a plot. That combined with a couple of Cole Sprouse interviews makes me think this is Jughead's ascension to full main character status, fully supplanting Archie as the center of the show. Next, Veronica will fall for him, and he will have a love triangle.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given the sheer absurd amount of very specific product placement, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Covergirl is actually providing most of the show's operating budget.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh boy, I wonder whose murder we'll be solving next year!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Does this town just have one place to eat or what?

It's called set construction and it's very expensive, so they tend not to do it very much.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, Alcoholic Sad Dad is somehow even worse than Alcoholic rear end in a top hat Dad. Assholes you can at least hate.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

So FP's an alcoholic (but no drugs or even cigarettes, oh no that would be really bad) biker gang leader with no visible tats, who lives in a dump. What happened to the bag of money he was handed? If this is how he lives why be in the gang, he could have the same lifestyle on loving welfare.

Sad thing about criminal gains: it's hard to use them. If you, a poor unemployed alcoholic, suddenly start buying a bunch of nice poo poo, people are going to start asking questions you don't want to answer. Dude needs to look into money laundering. Alternately, he blows it all on booze. Alcohol isn't cocaine-pricey but it's still pretty expensive.

Also, presumably that entire bag of money was not for FP. There's a whole gang of ne'er do wells to split it with.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This show is... A Lot. It's absurd, over-the-top melodramatic, utterly insane, and also weirdly beautiful. Seriously, hats off to the cinematographer or whoever is in charge of making the pretty pictures because the pictures are, indeed, very pretty. I'm happy that Archie finally got to participate in the main plot! Even if it's just him being groomed as future Blossom breeding stock.

Next week looks like it's going to be even more insane.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's like the writers knew they'd be getting enough poo poo for making Jughead get with a girl so they had to make up for it by actually giving them a functional, healthy relationship.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They bring that up on the Sex Archie podcast; there's nothing overly creepy about the act itself, but the way it is shot and framed makes you immensely uncomfortable, which is how Jughead feels about it. It was a nice way of putting the audience inside his head for a bit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I had a feeling something like this was going to happen and tonight basically confirms it; Jughead is the main character of this show, not Archie. He's the narrator, the emotional center, and now he has the most to lose by NOT solving the murder.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
A lot is happening this episode. :stare:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Anyone else kind of think Cheryl was about to go full-on revenge murder? Because I sure did.

EDIT: Well, I think I just spotted the shot where KJ broke his arm!

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given the sheer insanity of this season, it honestly didn't matter that much who killed Jason to me. I had theories on everyone from the Coopers to Cheryl in a fugue state to Jughead's identical cousin Nathan (he's a real character drat it!). I was more about the craziness of the ride, and boy howdy, was it crazy. And it's not even over yet!

Basically, I am not watching this show for the mystery. I am watching for poo poo like that close-up of Cheryl's crisply made-up eyes as a single tear falls from each in turn, followed by her marching downstairs in slow-motion to some depressing indie song to confront her brother's murderer. For poo poo like Jughead giving an oscar-worthy performance of the heartbroken, disillusioned son to try and suss out his dad's innocence or guilt. I am watching this show to see teenage sleuths infiltrate gangbangers' apartments and find dead bodies in bathtubs.

I loving love this trashy garbage show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wonder at which point they decided to make the comic relief character of the digests into the designated emotional pincushion of the TV show. Seriously, the latter half of the season was basically "hey, let's stab Jughead in the heart! Over, and over, and over again!"

• Locked thread