Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Someone in the Comic Strip Megathread posts Archie newspaper comic strips from the 50s, and it turns out Jughead could get pretty sardonic even back then

Riverdale Archie could never land a sick burn like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

fadam posted:

I spent the whole season thinking Betty-as-Polly killed Jason but now I'm pretty sure that Jason isn't dead.

You don't have to spoiler speculation. Also, why? I would understand if they didn't find a body, but they did. A compete, bloated corpse with ligature marks, frozen fingers and toes, and a hole in its head, that was preserved enough to still be identifiable.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wow, that episode was a LOT. I mean, there's no loving way they would've just sent Cheryl home IRL after she just loving attempted suicide but it's Riverdale and burning her loving house down (and pissing off her mother) seemed to bring her some measure of peace so :unsmith:.

Serpent Jughead is an A+ development that I had no idea I wanted. It's about loving time that kid got a break, and an entire gang looking out for him is one hell of a break. I loved the whole setup of him going to Southside High and everybody rushing over all worried about him and they get there and-- oh, he's already made like fifty friends and everyone loves him.

I loving love Betty. I am now 100% on the 'Betty is the main character and she is awesome and totally deserves it' train.

And I finally-- FINALLY-- am fully onboard the Archie Andrews train. The Grundy thing hurt his character a lot. Like I really don't think the writers understood how badly that compromised him. But these past few episodes, he has been killing it, and in this one, he legit knocked it out of the park. Being genuinely happy for his friends being together, wanting to stand up for the truth, breaking his loving hand punching through the ice to save Cheryl, making an actual, honest-to-god attempt at catching a bullet for his dad (likely a reference to his comics fate); the boy's a hero and he is finally the Archie we deserve. Welcome to the club you beautiful ginger bastard. We will get justice for your dad. :patriot:

Fun fact: KJ Apa actually broke his actual hand filming that ice-punching shot. Dude is legit. :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm still kind of reeling at how genuinely satisfying that finale was. It capped off an entire season of character development for the Core Four, had both of the main couples move up to the next level in a way that felt organic, put the love quadrangle (at least temporarily) to bed, had a bunch of cool surprises and consequences, both good and bad, for everyone's actions, revealed secrets, widened the world, pushed everyone to a new place to start the next season and hell, even the cliffhanger felt fine to me (you know they're not gonna kill off Archie's dad, it would change his character too much. I predict soap opera coma at worst).

Man, I know it's only a matter of time before TV shows take a dive in quality and inevitably let me down, especially on the CW. But I'll be damned if that wasn't some genuinely good television. :discourse:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Cheryl was telegraphing her intentions pretty hard, and right when she was going to open up to The Gang they took off without a second thought to save Jughead from (being the most popular kid at) Southside High. That moment felt like it was lifted from something like Wet Hot American Summer or Strangers With Candy, asking the vulnerable peer to open up and IMMEDIATELY ignoring her.

The Jughead thing was later in the episode. The point where Cheryl was about to open up and everyone took off was the Betty Cooper, Serpent Slut scene, and they left because Kevin said it was urgent.

Speaking of Jughead being surrounded by friends and admirers on the South Side, do we really think it's just because he fits in better there? Or does everyone kind of know who he is? There seems to be this idea going around that Jughead is basically South Side royalty, and I kind of like it. It'd be cool to find out that Forsythe Pendleton the First was the loving founder of the Serpents or something.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So they made upgraded Kevin to series regular. Hopefully now that means he'll have something to do!

Then again, I'm pretty sure Josie was listed as a regular this season and we all know how that went. :sweatdrop:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Apparently, next season is going to be a full 22 episodes, which has me kind of worried. It's possible to do a 22-episode season and maintain a consistent level of quality throughout, but it's not easy, and very few shows I've watched have actually pulled it off. I'm hoping they take the Agents of SHIELD route where the season is basically divided into two or three 'pods' that are basically mini-seasons that tell separate-but-connected stories. 'Who killed Jason Blossom' would not have been sustainable for 22 episodes, and I don't know why 'Who shot Fred Andrews' would.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

That made me feel nauseous. Then wonder why he didn't just use his foot. Although I guess he could have fallen in if he'd done that.

Could someone really have survived falling through the ice like that? All it took was some CPR and hot chocolate and she was ready for her next crazy gothic adventure. Whoever directs this show needs to start adapting Virginia Andrews novels because they capture that sort of tone perfectly.
Hypothermia actually takes a while to set in, even in really cold water. She might have still had water in her lungs which could potentially cause her problems later, but secondary drowning mostly occurs in children because they have smaller lungs more easily overwhelmed by small amounts of leftover water. The bigger and more obvious issue is that they left someone by themselves in the immediate aftermath of a suicide attempt.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cole Sprouse had some thoughts on the larger episode order:

Cole Sprouse posted:

Here’s my opinion on this tall order as an actor on the show, so take it with a grain of salt.

While a smaller season (13 episodes) would keep the narratives more succinct, a larger season would compliment our show in the exact way we have all been wanting.

What you guys probably don’t know, because you’re only seeing the final product, is that we cut a TON of footage from this season due to timing. If nothing shot was omitted, we, realistically, would have had around 17 episodes worth of content.

We’re a huge ensemble for a show. Massive. And were only getting bigger. With Kevin becoming a series regular in season two, and the introduction of a host of new, fundamental, characters to the season, a taller order will give us space to discuss characters that many people feel didn’t get the screen time they deserved (which we all agree with).

it will also benefit us with negative space. What do I mean by negative space? I mean silence. Silence is a fundamental, drama building rule for entertainment. Actors will often bury a lot of micro expressions within that silence, and that can lend itself to character development. negative space is something season 1, truthfully, doesn’t have a lot of. And a larger season will allow us to keep and hold our voices in scenes that I believe will serve the quality of our show.

Another thing to consider, is that the majority of our audience comes from digital mediums such as the CW app and netflix. With our introduction to US netflix this month, many people will be binging our show all at once. A larger season only assists this kind of digestion.

Lastly, a larger season keeps everyone on the crew working :) many families will be very pleased to have a larger working order.

As of now, I can’t spoil too much, but we are not planning on any “filler” episodes. Considering how jam packed season 1 was, a larger order will allow us to re-infuse the show with a lot of the neo-noir genre elements we all grew to love as a cast and crew.

We’re all very excited to start working, and equally excited for you guys to see all our prospective work.

-Cole
I mean, I can't disagree that a lot of characters were kind of underserved this season. Josie and the Pussycats, Kevin and boyfriend, Asian Dude-Bro Reggie (though that was for other reasons).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Did someone tell him Madelaine Petsch wasn't really drowning?

D-...does he know he's on TV?

Sometimes you just get a little too method. It was probably a situation where he thought "oh, I don't mind loving up my hand a little to make the shot look good" and didn't realize until afterwards that he hosed up his hand a LOT. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Fun fact; since tv episodes are filmed out of order, there are a couple of scenes that take place chronologically before the ice breaking but were filmed after the hand-breaking where they had to awkwardly hide KJ Apa's cast by draping his jacket over his arm.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Narrator posted:

edit: and going to call it now, the shooter was just some random robber, but Fred being out of commission (whether that's a coma, or dead, or even just unable to work) means that the Lodges are going to press harder on wanting to buy him out.

edit2: though apparently "who shot fred" is going to be a point of plot movement, so i guess there is probably a significant person behind this somehow!

Jughead literally says it wasn't random in the narration, and he seems to be narrating from :awesomelon:The Future:awesomelon: so I'm inclined to trust him.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not sure if it still works, but I remember being able to trick the CW's ad block detector by turning it off when I first loaded the page, letting something load, and then turning it neck on.

Not that I encourage such thievery! :bahgawd:

EDIT: Actually, I tried loading an episode just now with uBlock origin enabled and it worked just fine.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 18, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Welp, so much Jughead's foster family! http://deadline.com/2017/06/riverdale-skeet-ulrich-promoted-series-regular-season-2-fp-jones-the-cw-1202105590/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
KJ Apa fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his car after a 16-hour workday. He's alright, but this has prompted the Riverdale actors to raise a huge fuss about working long hours and being expected to transport themselves to and from set.

• Locked thread