Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you feel like these characters are too witty for teens, never watch veronica mars.

Riverdale's been a loving blast, pretty much from the word go. Archie is a total blank of a character, but that fits the Dawson/Ryan Atwood template. Camila Mendes crushes it as Veronica, and the mystery is progressing nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Previously.tv has some dude who posted spoilers and so far they've been 100% accurate. If you're so inclined...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Most of the leaks sound great, and if anything got me MORE excited for the show. Half of them can be guessed anyway.

There's only one that has me REALLY worried, and that's because it would shift the direction of the show entirely.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This. Show. So good.

Perfect timing to dig into Cheryl Blossom's backstory.

Also holy poo poo Fred. Do not fall for Hermoine. You goddamn idiot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Everything is a fake-out. The killer is going to be a side character with no previously established motivation that will exposition at length as to why they did what they did and elaborate on how they were totally there all the time. Then they'll die or go to jail. Archie's abs will also mysteriously keep appearing in the frame. I will be shocked if the ending is anything else considering how by the numbers teenage drama this show has been so far. Did none of you watch season 2 of Veronica Mars back in the days? Or at least watch Scream last year?

What the hell is with the Veronica Mars mystery hate that occasionally crops up on these forums? Season 2 has to take you down a LOT of narrative dead ends, but the central mystery and motivation is laid out quite well.

I will not defend Season 3, though.

My big worry is that Riverdale plays with gothic imagery, is on the CW, and loves that Twin Peaks vibe... I do not want supernatural poo poo in my Riverdale.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There hasn't been a strong non-supernatural/superhero teen drama show in a very long while. Unless you dig into ABC Family, your options are still very limited.

The idea of going "And then... zombies!" concerns me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

They're definately struggling to connect the plot to the teenage drama b-plots.

Which is a problem, but not a huge PROBLEM. I feel like that's the one missing ingredient, and I'm still enjoying the hell out of this even with the tonal mismatch that pops up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This isn't spoilery, but it is some interesting info.

In the first draft of Riverdale that was commissioned by the CW, Polly was actually living at home with the Coopers. She's clearly mentally loopy, and went through some DARK stuff. But she's not shipped off to the mental asylum and does not have a pregnant belly.

I guess they decided to ramp up the batshit factor with the mental institution from hell. I approve.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hermione also referred to Veronica as "mija" an episode or two ago.

Its super subtle, but definitely there in the text.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of behind the scene's nonsense, apparently a good chunk of the "leaked spoilers" were wrong, so I'm officially back to guessing with y'all. Hooray!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Riverdale High is basically Hearst College on Veronica Mars. It is whatever that week's episode needs it to be.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What comics are closest in tone to Riverdale? Would be curious to check out those, though I'm not down for any of the surreal zombies stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So happy that the spoilers released early were fake. I hope its kosher to post them now...

Archie chooses Betty despite having feelings for Veronica.

Archie's father Fred once rejected Betty's mother Alice in high school. He is later arrested for Jason's murder after police determines it was his gun that was used to kill Jason, which causes Archie's mother Mary to return to Riverdale.

Betty believes her mother Alice killed Jason Blossom, but it was actually her father Hal, who wanted revenge against Jason for Polly's breakdown. He framed Fred out of revenge because Alice still had feelings for Fred.

Veronica's father Hiram has been working with Jughead's father FP Jones, a local gang leader, to lower local property prices so he can seize control of Riverdale. The family's butler Smithers has secretly been acquiring said properties under ghost companies and Hiram is ultimately released and return to Riverdale as the richest man in town.

Archie and the gang find out the Blossoms were occultists and Jason attempted to fake his death to escape from their influence. Polly had a breakdown after learning about the Blossoms's activities.

Jughead finds out that there are legends of supernatural forces in the woods surrounding Riverdale and that innocent blood spilled on Sweetwater Lake is said to be the key to awaken powerful forces. It is made clear that Jason being killed and dumped in Sweetwater Lake is a unwittingly a perfect reproduction of the ritual.

Final scene of the season is Sabrina ominiously arriving at Pop's shop while Jughead reads about the results of the ritual in voice-over and how "chaos follows". She introduces herself and immediately afterwards there's a car crash just outside. Everyone steps outside to help while Sabrina flashes a smile.

Later spoilers were largely on the money, by the way.

• Locked thread