Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh hey a Riverdale thread. Nice!

Here are my thoughts on this show, in no particular order:

• Betty is the secret main character and I love her. Seriously, keep your eyes on her face. Any scene she's in, 90% of the action is taking place there.
  • :yeah:
  • I kind of love the fact that Cheryl takes the narcissistic, domineering Queen Bee routine and... leans hard into it??? Hidden depths? Nuance? No! gently caress that! We're going to go for a ride. She's not so much living in her own little fantasy world as determined to make everyone else live there too.
  • Is there anyone in Riverdale Betty's mother isn't trying to start a war with? If she had her way there'd be nothing left of the town but ash.
  • The coroner :allears: I hope he comes back.
  • I've never read the comics, so I have to ask: has Dilton Doiley (what the gently caress is that name) always been this crazy prepper type or did they invent that just so they could have this gunshot red herring?
  • Similarly: "Jughead"???
  • Jughead's voiceovers were fun, when it was a "look at this dude and his little film noir show within a show" sort of thing, but they're getting a little overblown. Dial it in, Jughead; you don't want to go full Mohinder.
  • Veronica is best girl. She's almost too well adjusted for this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Edit: I hope Sabrina shows up at some point too. Then we'd REALLY get into some nice Twin Peaks territory.

It's been rumoured. I can't really see this show ever going full Twin Peaks, though. Pretty Little Liars might be a better point of reference.

Also:

Thanks, Comics Alliance.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alice Cooper: Monster of Truth. :allears:

Spergatory posted:

Well, that episode was weird. Can we not with the sympathetic child molesters? If that was a male teacher having a sexual relationship with a female student, it would be loving creepy and the show would 100% know it was loving creepy. I feel like the show doesn't necessarily know how creepy Ms. Grundy is. Like I feel like that entire storyline was some adolescent fantasy of one of the main writers and he decided to live it out through Archie. It was weird. Anyway, I'm glad it's over.

The show is pretty clear on the fact that Grundy is a creepy predatory child molester. Jughead says this. Betty says this. Betty says this after she hears about the whole domestic abuse thing. None of the characters thinks what's going down is cool and good except Archie himself. And then the last time we see of her in this episode is her back in her Lolita glasses, drink in hand, perving on schoolboys- clearly we're not supposed to read this as some great romance for her.

So the decision to suddenly cast Alice as the villain of the piece and let Grundy ride off into the sunset is weird, I'll grant you. Maybe she really did kill Jason, and the show needs to keep her around for the big reveal? Or maybe the point is Alice's scorched earth tactics are self defeating? :shrug:

I'm not sure how seriously we're supposed to take her "tragic past". Everything else she's told people about who she is or where she's from has been a lie, and it's not like she's scrupled from trying to manipulate Archie into staying in line before.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Though I'm not sure what the show's long term plans are considering they're blowing right through plotlines really quickly.

These sorts of shows are so fond of dragging plotlines out or repeating themselves that I'm really happy to see one that... isn't.

xeria posted:

Pretty Little Liars would like a word with you (much to my unending chagrin).

That one was doubly weird because, in addition to being a child molester, Fitz also turns out to be a... nebbish, petty manchild? He's wildly unattractive even before you factor in the paedophile thing, but the show clearly expects the viewer to identify primarily with Aria and portrays the relationship- most of the time- as true love.

It at least makes sense why Aria's into him, because she's a) actually pretty terrible herself, b) kind of a dipshit, and c) has this fetish for being worldly and sophisticated and mature for her age. But if you don't share that particular pathology, what in the gently caress is the appeal? :confuoot:

Oh, and it's nice to see Kevin get a plotline of his own. Perhaps he'll develop character traits, and other interesting features.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Betty and Veronica both try to explain it to him over dinner, but he thinks they're both asking him out. For some reason, he schedules those dates at the same time. Then he spends all evening switching between the girls without focusing on what they have to say.

Meanwhile, Cheryl has strapped Jughead to a stone altar and is preparing to sacrifice him to Baphomet in exchange for her brother's resurrection, while Josie and the Pussycats mount a desperate, last-ditch defence against the armies of the swamp men.

• Locked thread