Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spergatory posted:

Well, that episode was weird. Can we not with the sympathetic child molesters? If that was a male teacher having a sexual relationship with a female student, it would be loving creepy and the show would 100% know it was loving creepy.

Pretty Little Liars would like a word with you (much to my unending chagrin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Autonomous Monster posted:

That one was doubly weird because, in addition to being a child molester, Fitz also turns out to be a... nebbish, petty manchild? He's wildly unattractive even before you factor in the paedophile thing, but the show clearly expects the viewer to identify primarily with Aria and portrays the relationship- most of the time- as true love.

It at least makes sense why Aria's into him, because she's a) actually pretty terrible herself, b) kind of a dipshit, and c) has this fetish for being worldly and sophisticated and mature for her age. But if you don't share that particular pathology, what in the gently caress is the appeal? :confuoot:

Yeah, I think if you compare PLL's treatment of Fitz to Riverdale's of Ms Grundy, there's no contest. PLL twisted itself in knots to excuse Fitz, even during the half-season where everyone thought he might be the stalker/murderer AND after Aria and friends discovered that he definitely knew Aria was a teenager/in high school when they hooked up at that restaurant (instead of "in college" like he'd always let everyone believe) AND hooked up with her explicitly to have an inside track on getting details on Alison for his book. And then all her friends/the show itself enabled Aria to forgive him because True Love, don't you see how much she loves him? And he loves her? It's all totally okay and above board if it's in the name of love!

Compare to Riverdale, especially the scenes only Grundy or her and Archie are privy to -- we see her overtly manipulating him into not going to the police ("No, you see, I care about you, and if you tell them then I would be in trouble and they'd keep us apart. You don't want that, do you?"), then effectively rewarding him for leaving her out of his July 4th story to the police to protect her, and then that last shot of her lolita-glasses'ing at other presumably high school boys on her way out of town. Even with her domestic abuse story, however much of it is actually true, the show paints her in a light that's pretty explicitly "she is predatory and cannot be trusted".

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

I also, after thinking about it, kinda feel like Archie is taking on some of the personality (for want of a less rear end in a top hat-y word) "quirks" of a rape victim? Like, Alice kinda slut-shamed him during that whole confrontation, and he copped to it in some desperate attempt to get Miss Grundy some clemency, but his self-esteem is really low. Even in that first episode, he was telling Betty, "Of course I love you, but I'm not good enough for you." He has a tendency to think of himself as a bit of a shitlord; I'm sure a lot of it is rooted in his inappropriate relationship with Miss Grundy, and how that's stopped him from doing things like tell Sheriff Keller about the gunshot he heard, or, you know, give his best friend in the world the answer she wants for a question she had to ask.

Yeah, factor in also how he damaged his friendship with Jughead (supposedly) by ditching him to go frolic down by the river with Grundy, and knows he did exactly that and was seemingly too ashamed to go to the guy and apologize at any point between July 4th and the start of the school year. I think you can see shades of him starting to tie his self-worth (with regard to his music, etc.) to Grundy before Betty/Veronica/Alice/Fred all step in to help end it.

• Locked thread