Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Watched the first episode. When this was in production, it was described at "Archie meets Twin Peals" or something like that, and I can kinda see that come through with everyone being headcases and there being a murder mystery. It's not bad, and I like them taking inspiration from the newer incarnation of the comics where, again, everyone is headcases.

I kinda feel like I'm a little too old for the teen drama stuff though. I know Archie being between two women is a big thing, and them being all teenagers in school is kinda their whole deal, but I kinda hope for more Twin Peaks and less 90210.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Watched the other two episodes. Jughead is the best character and I love his literary voiceovers. I like Betty becoming more psychotic and Cheryl becoming more of a person. I'm wondering if they're going to go with the incest angle with her and Jason or not.

Show is REALLY slow-paced though. It's like a bunch of slow-paced teen drama until the last couple minutes, then a big cliffhanger at the end with Jughead's voiceover to make you come back. But dammit, does it make me want to come back, especially with the preview for the next episode with OG Miss Grundy and hot young Miss Grundy being a fake.

Edit: I hope Sabrina shows up at some point too. Then we'd REALLY get into some nice Twin Peaks territory.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 11, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's been rumoured. I can't really see this show ever going full Twin Peaks, though. Pretty Little Liars might be a better point of reference.

Maybe not full-on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but they could have Sabrina the Wiccan who wants to hold a seance to talk to Jason's spirit to find out who murdered him or some poo poo.

But I must insist on talking cat puppet Salem.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Jason landed on the Greendale side of the river, which is where Sabrina lives.

They're gonna have her show up when they reveal her as Jason's killer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I kinda like Cheryl's character. She's such a bitchy Mean Girls stereotype, but it's projected so blatantly and she's called on it so much, and she knows she's doing it. You see her wanting to not do it and actually let her guard down and open up and be friends with the others, but she keeps reverting back to pushing them away with her bullshit.

I'd compare her to Cordelia from Buffy. A person who feels pressured and compelled to act high and mighty but will eventually (hopefully) get over their poo poo and become a cool person and do cool things.

I also NEED Betty's mom to die already because her character is just so antagonizing it's the more irritating thing about this show. Her Dead Man on Campus husband needs to do a few bong rips and drive their car into oncoming traffic.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The story of that movie is somehow more hosed up than this new series. Archie is engaged and going to be a lawyer, but he returns to Riverdale for a high school reunion. Betty is in an abusive marriage and Veronica can't stop getting divorced. All of them seeing each other again leads to everybody forgetting Archie is engaged as Archie gets torn between Betty and Veronica, and ultimately throws his future away to stay in Riverdale forever.

Meanwhile, Jughead is going through a divorce and has trouble connecting with his son because he's so messed up by it.

The whole thing is up on YouTube if you wanna watch it. You know you wanna watch it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I loved how excited Kevin was to see Cheryl come out in the white dress.

Also learning that maple syrup is a big historic industry to Riverdale kinda makes the whole "Sticky Maple" thing a little less silly.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said "a little."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I mean, Jason is a pretty obvious place to start with reanimating the dead.

Forget zombies. Go even weirder with it and have Jason come back from the dead by having Archie give birth to him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

no thank you.

I see how it is. David Lynch is OK but homages to David Lynch is where you draw the line. :colbert:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's very Romeo and Juliet. Two houses that hate each other, two kids from those houses that fall in love, something something tragedy. I wonder if anything else fits into that analogy.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol the CoverGirl label coming sharply into focus.

In other TV threads, people can get annoyed that there's a beer sign in a bar, or a computer logo on a laptop. Just hating the concept of real products existing in semi-fictional worlds and feeling like it's product placement (even when sometimes they're not even sponsored) being shoved down their throats and they hate it.

But here, when you have commercial breaks for makeup that is supposedly being used on the show, and then having scenes of characters using makeup so you can have a lingering closeup of the product and brand... I've honestly never seen that before in any show and it is definitely something worth complaining about.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is this the first TV show you watch in a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

Never watched that show, but I read about it and admittedly forgot about it. Yeah, this is definitely worse.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the letter jacket that FP has would either be the one from the car, or the one Archie gave to the Blossoms? Would there be any other jackets floating around that he would have been able to snag?

Actually, did Archie give the Blossoms a letter jacket or a jersey? I can't remember.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Archie is the most relatable character on the show.

I like the way they turned the "Archie dates everyone because he's indecisive!" concept from the comic version into a "Archie dates everyone because he's just really loving confused about where his life is going and he's just grasping for anything that gives him a sense of direction."

Once he's out of romantic prospects, he's gonna lose his poo poo and bring a gun to school.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

Foreshadowed by a scene where Archie, wearing a scout uniform, stares at himself in a mirror as Dilton moves into frame over his shoulder.

Is the tone intensely psychosexual? You bet.

Archie stalking the halls while slowly humming "Sugar Sugar" to himself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
They day is saved when Sabrina casts an ancient spell to raise Miss Grundy from the dead and uses her to subdue Archie, but when Sabrina tries to cast her back to hell, something goes wrong and she becomes an unstoppable monster, which will be the season finale cliffhanger.

Geraldine Grundy...
Born on a Monday...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

crowoutofcontext posted:

The scene in which Betty sung a pitch-perfect Happy Birthday to Jughead while approaching with the cake really creeped me out, it was, as Jughead, said "haunting." It kinda made me feel viscerally uncomfortable for Jughead having his friends focus all their sentiments on him, it was a super surprising/interesting way to direct that simple scene.

It's kinda amazing how well this show balances between "teen drama shlock" and "an actual good show." Like in the same episode where Veronica and Cheryl battle for cheerleader dominance with a dance-off, we then get a birthday scene that is well shot and conveys really well Jughead's discomfort.

Also shoutouts to F.P. for being a really awesome terrible dad. Clearly sucked at being a dad, struggling alcoholic, gang member, somehow involved in Jason's death, hanging out at a teenager party with people drinking and fighting and taking no responsibilities...

But when his son gets hurt and wants to run away from it all? Dude stepped up. He was like "OK, I got one 'Good Dad' moment in the tank. I guess I can use it." and absolutely handled that poo poo and it was loving great to see.

Also I could absolutely see Skeet Ulrich and Cole Sprouse being actually related. That's just good casting there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I should have seen that reveal coming a mile away. This show is inspired by Twin Peaks so (Twin Peaks spoiler) of course the dad did it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Archie meets The Punisher WHEN

Archie BECOMES The Punisher. Seeing his dad shot and killed in front of him breaks him to the point where he decides if Riverdale is going to poo poo, he'll be there use the blood of the guilty to wash away the filth.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hey guys, remember when Cheryl wore the dress and it was the greatest scene in television history.

Kevin's "Yeeeessssss" was the greatest moment.

I wonder if they're really going to tie up Jason's death so neatly. Essentially, his dad died and took the answer to "Why" with him, and left people only with speculation. It's possible something else might be discovered that thickens the plot of the heroin and why his own frigging dad had to kill him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure more will come of it.

So the plot threads for season 2 off the bat are;

-Hiram Lodge returns, and all the poo poo he's mixed up with.
-FP Jones in jail and pending charges/conviction.
-Fred getting shot (possibly dead)
-The Blossoms rebuilding their lives.
-Polly's babies.
-Jughead on the Southside, taken in by the Serpents.
-Archie and Veronica exploring their relationship.
-Betty and Jughead testing their relationship.

Then you have the potential continuation of Jason's death, some new characters showing up, plenty of new drama. Yeah, I think they can manage 22 episodes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Didn't Sacasa at one point say they might do yearly Halloween specials that didn't really fit into continuity and mention doing Afterlife there? I could've sworn that was mentioned at some point.

Someone did. Don't know if it was him or someone else, but it was like a year before the show premiered so maybe they changed their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline posted:

What the gently caress happened to Cheryl's mom! Aaaaaaaaaaa

Cheryl burned down their house. Maybe her mom tried to go back in for some reason.

Oh maybe Cheryl becomes a pyromaniac and sets her mom on fire, which would be even more amazing.

• Locked thread