Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm enjoying this show, but I'm a fan of Archie by default, so I'm a bit biased. I thought they managed to update the characters well without losing prominent aspects of the characters, save a few like Betty's mom, who are wildly different--presumably because if every single character was too close to their modern portrayals the closest thing to a true antagonist would be Reggie pulling elementary school pranks on people.

Something to note is that it's hard to say whether or not they "destroyed" a character because Archie comics has never been big on caring about consistency with their characters; eg: over the years, Veronica's fluctuated between horridly mean girl and a very sweet socialite, while her dad Hiram would go back and forth between being Donald Trump who hates Archie and Warren Buffett who hates Archie. I realize this is a huge catch-all that will let me say "oh, but actually" every time someone complains about a character's portrayal, but I'll try to be fair and point out distinct differences and similarities where applicable.

Autonomous Monster posted:

• I've never read the comics, so I have to ask: has Dilton Doiley (what the gently caress is that name) always been this crazy prepper type or did they invent that just so they could have this gunshot red herring?
Nope, that's a brand new thing they made up for the show; Dilton's gimmick is that he's a super genius who can just casually invent time machines, etc. I doubt they'll be leaning into that direction here. That said, there are stories of him being lonely because of his genius and social awkwardness, so maybe that's going to be played as a consequence of this.

Autonomous Monster posted:

• Similarly: "Jughead"???
The origin--the original 1941 origin--of his name is a mystery to me; maybe someone knows it. His real name is Forsythe P. Jones III, and in the recent comic book reboot, they've explained both the fancy-schmancy name and the nickname: he comes from old money, and was as rich as the Lodges when he was a kid, until his parents blew their fortune on a water-bottling scam called Purejug, which led to him being a laughing stock at school. Again, this isn't core to the character, so there's no telling if this will be the case at all for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yes! In the comics, they're rich kids from Pembrooke Academy, who come to Riverdale to generally throw the "townies" into chaos. Cheryl in particular was there to play the mean rich girl part when the writers needed Veronica to be nice, or when they needed two mean rich girls fighting, but that aspect of her also got toned down a bit when Archie started dating her.

If I were to compare Cheryl and Jason to anyone, I'd say that in the old comics, they were like, uh, "wholesome" versions of the brother and sister from Cruel Intentions, so in that way, it kinda makes sense that they give off the creepy twincest vibe when the sugar-coating of Riverdale is peeled away.

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope they bring Sabrina on and the show goes full on mental with it. Just completely change the reality the show is based on for next season and go Archie Presents: The Walking Dead with a zombie dead whatshisface. Anyway, are Cheryl and her dead brother characters from the comics?

Jason landed on the Greendale side of the river, which is where Sabrina lives. The showrunner said he plans for Sabrina to be on the show--but I don't think we can expect her this season. As for zombies, he mentioned this before; no idea if they'll get to do it, but he wanted Halloween eps to be standalone non-canon stories a-la Treehouse of Horror, and floated the idea of doing an Afterlife with Archie episode. I don't think there's a Halloween ep this season though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I am in the middle of a Google search for "weird Archie comics" and there's just. So much. It's wonderful. Please get weird, show. Give me Archie vs Predator. Give me Jughead's Time Police. Give me zombies and necromancy. loving hell, bring on the cast of Glee and have them fight the Ninja Turtles. Just loving do it. It's in the comics! There's precedent for this poo poo! Let's go hog loving wild! The CW will never know what hit it! :kheldragar:

Riverdale s02e07 - "Crisis on Multiple Earths, part 3" - When Marshall January McAndrews traces a time aberration to Central City following the disappearance of its hero, The Flash, it's up to Jughead and his time-travelling beanie to set things right, with the help of his friends' alteregos, the Superteens of Earth-T. Meanwhile, Damien Dahrk's latest plan hits a snag when he realizes that his target, Greendale, is under the protection of a powerful family of witches.

The show is produced by Berlanti so it could happen someday!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Not if the one-shot prequel comic is anything to go by: http://i.imgur.com/eWZku4d.jpg

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Alright, here's some trivia for y'all; I would have posted sooner but I've been on vacation. There were a number of easily-missable references to the comics in the first four episodes, so I thought I'd list some of them here:

"The Town With PEP!" - Archie's first appearance was in Pep Comics in 1941. Incidentally, 1941 is also noted in the first episode to be the year Riverdale High opened its doors.

MLJ Comics - The old comics place we see in the establishing shots is named MLJ--MLJ Comics was the name of Archie Comics before Archie shot to prominence

Little Archie - Archie is relaying a story to Veronica about Betty and himself as kids, and in that story, she calls him "Little Archie". Amusingly enough, this is how Archie was always referred to in the Little Archie comics--not simply "Archie", but "Little Archie". Even as teenagers, when the comics characters would talk about their childhoods, they would refer to him as Little Archie.

Sugar Sugar - A lesser-known fact about this song is that it was actually performed by The Archies in real life. Archie was popular enough back then that the company actually had a real Archies band performing songs, and this was their biggest hit.

Madame Satan - Kevin refers to Cheryl as Madame Satan--Madame Satan was a horror character invented by MLJ comics a long time ago, eventually forgotten when Archie overshadowed everything. She was recently revived (quite literally too, in the comics) and is pulling double duty as a villain on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and as a supervillain on The Fox.

Greendale - Jason made it to the Greendale side of Sweetwater River--Greendale is the home of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (sometimes, this is before or after living in Riverdale). Sacasa's mentioned that he had some ideas for her appearance, but I'm thinking we shouldn't expect her to show up this season. I doubt she'll actually be magical but it would be great if she was!

Southside Serpents - The Southside Serpents are some kind of biker gang here, but in the comics, they were just a gang of kids who would stir up trouble for Little Archie.

Other notes:

Geraldine Grundy - The pic accompanying the real Grundy's obituary has her wearing Ms. Grundy's traditional outfit.

Valerie Smith - In the classic-style comics, Archie and Valerie got together, much to the chagrin of Betty and Veronica. There seemed to be some hints of that happening here.

Betty's Diary - A staple in Archie Comics; Betty even had her own comic called Betty's Diary for a time.

Jennifer Gibson and Joaquin - As far as I can tell, these are the only characters who were completely made up for the show. Everyone else--even the ones who are only mentioned in passing--is a pre-existing character.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's exactly where it's from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's gonna turn out to be someone who has it in for the Andrews family, who mistook Jason for Archie. Archie is gonna go the whole season not realizing his friends are solving a murder, and in the season finale they'll save him from the murderer who's still targeting him and he'll finish the season having no clue what just happened. Classic Andrews!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/24/riverdale-afterlife-archie-zombies-cw/

quote:

Obviously I can’t confirm or deny anything, but I will tell you that Afterlife or not, there definitely will be a big genre element to season 2. It won’t suddenly just be a coming-of-age drama. There will definitely be a very strong, bold genre statement. If season 1 is a murder mystery, it won’t necessarily be another murder mystery. We’re telling, for us, kind of the best version of a murder mystery: Who killed Jason Blossom? So whatever twist in genre element that we add in season 2, it’s going to be different from that and probably, I think, it’s going to make people go, “They’re not really doing that, are they?”

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Between the interview from Sacasa last week and the apparently magical grandma this week it looks like we're well on track to supernatural stuff coming in by the end of the season :unsmigghh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Until the reboot, there was no consistent continuity in the comics. Depending on what a writer needed, Veronica had always lived in Riverdale, or only moved into town as a teenager, or something else entirely, and nobody retconned anything to explain it away. Zelda games have better continuity than classic Archie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

None of them, really. There's a Riverdale tie-in comic which presumably has the same tone, but even I don't bother with tie-in comics, so I can't vouch for their quality.

Any title in the Archie reboot is much more lighthearted than Riverdale; the main Archie title, for instance, is a fun romcom rather than a CW dramafest. Honestly, the closest you can get is the zombie stuff--no surprise as it's being written by the showrunner of Riverdale. For what it's worth, it's super good, but it does lean heavily into the supernatural so if that's really not your thing then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

I guess if you expand the scope to non-Archie comics, then there's Ed Brubaker's Criminal anthology--specifically volume 6: The Last of the Innocent, whose cast is very clearly intended to be the Archie characters; it's framed as a murder mystery and also talks about how things were much darker than they appeared on the surface.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

someone awful. posted:

How has the show gone this long without jughead eating a single burger dammit

I suspect Jughead not visibly eating burgers is one of those things that's going to be a "reward" for the viewers at the end of the season, like how Cap doesn't ever say "Avengers Assemble" in the MCU but probably will in Avengers 4. So what we're gonna get at the end of the season is the camera cutting to black just before Jughead sinks his teeth into a burger, or something.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope it's not Joaquin. It would be pretty cheap to make the killer the only character on Riverdale who was invented solely for the show, as opposed to an actual Archie character. Same if he's not the killer but they kill him off to raise the stakes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't followed the comics in at least ten years but I remember hearing that in them, fairly recently, Moose took a bullet for Kevin. I wonder if Moose not being around is sort of an acknowledgement of that.

Or they're just waiting to introduce Midge next season :v:

No, it was Archie that took a bullet for Kevin, in the Death of Archie storyline. Kevin was running for senator on a strict gun control platform and an attempt was made on his life by a guy who didn't want Kevin to come for his guns. Moose was mayor of Riverdale at that time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wait til you hear about whether Archie married Betty or Veronica

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

That makes me curious, who does Kevin date in the comics?

I don't believe he has a steady love interest as a teenager in the regular comics, but in the particular comic where Archie took a bullet for him, he was married to a doctor named Clay, whom he met at physical therapy after coming back from active duty.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm a bit miffed that they had so many lines and shots that almost-hinted at the supernatural but they didn't actually do anything with it! Where's the genre-bending twist I was promised, Sacasa? :argh:

Also:
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/862859869015207936

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Maybe the opening for the supernatural that they're looking for is next season when an FBI Special Agent named Cooper comes to investigate the small town murder It is comics canon that Betty's older brother, Chick Cooper, is some kind of international super spy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's some classic Archie right there!

I hope with Hiram Lodge coming in that Archie gets to be more of a bumbling dummy because that's more or less the only relationship he's ever had with Veronica's dad. If they're gonna be insistent on not bringing in the supernatural despite the heavyhanded hints, at least give Archie back his supernatural talent for loving up the simplest tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Thankfully, Sacasa said that _if_ they do supernatural, it wouldn't be zombies. Note that this was by no means a promise that it would go into the supernatural, but that sure was a comprehensive answer to the question if they weren't actually planning on it.

quote:

If and when you guys do decide to do Afterlife with Archie, would you put a twist on it since so many fans have expectations from the comics?
Yeah, for sure. There’s already an amazing zombie show on TV, a couple of amazing zombie shows — probably actually three or four. There are a lot of zombie shows, so if we did go there, I think we’d more lean into the Lovecraftian horrors or it would be more like the Evil Dead zombies rather than the Night of the Living Dead zombies, if that makes sense. Night of the Living Dead right into Walking Dead, it seems like they’re biological warfare or they came from science or extra-terrestrial, whereas the Evil Dead zombies are very much about the Book of the Dead and the Necronomicon and demons possessing the bodies and stuff. That’s where I gravitate toward anyway. I’m more horror than sci-fi.

Incidentally, as much as I rag on Greg Berlanti and his shows, I was glad for this bit from the same interview:

quote:

It’s funny, when Greg Berlanti — who of course is the godfather of all these shows and my boss — and I were talking about possibly doing Afterlife with Archie, or introducing the character of Sabrina, I said, “Yeah, but we can’t just suddenly have magic and supernatural elements on the show,” and Greg, without missing a beat, said, “Of course you can.” I was like, “Wait! Yeah, we can.”

• Locked thread