Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really hope that the murderer is Reggie but there is never any indication or hint that the murderer is Reggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like the nice subtle thing that at Pop's, Jug isn't wearing his hat. Especially after he made a big deal of it to Betty in their fight.
The more subtle nuance is that we get Betty without her ponytail for one of the first times in the next scene, which makes sense. But i think it was a nice touch that speaks to how Jug doesn't realize that Betty is as hosed up as he is. Her super-tight ponytail is the same as his dumb hat.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Chuck is awful but on some level I appreciate that he revels in it.
It's just honestly weird that they didn't flip Chuck and Reggie's roles on the show. Reggie is honestly much more of a scumbag in the current comics than on the show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spergatory posted:

I wonder at which point they decided to make the comic relief character of the digests into the designated emotional pincushion of the TV show. Seriously, the latter half of the season was basically "hey, let's stab Jughead in the heart! Over, and over, and over again!"
It's been said in a lot of think pieces about Archie, but what makes stuff like this and Afterlife work is that the Archie characters are essentially archetypes who can be easily placed into any situation. There's no real underlying premise to Archie comics. It's all the characters.

Jughead's always been the outsider in the comics. In the more lighthearted comics that means that he's the guy who rolls his eyes at all the love triangles. In a CW show, he's Donnie Darko. I think the other problem with adapting a Jughead closer to the comics version is that you'd end up with someone constantly rolling his eyes and making fun of the over-the-topness of the show. Once Riverdale becomes a show that points out how insane it is rather than a show that includes lines like "This is eugenics is done now!" then they've lost their way.

I think at the end of the day though Jughead is an Archie Comics character who doesn't really want to be in Archie Comics. He wants to be in Riverdale, but he doesn't want to be in a comics about love triangles. Riverdale Jughead is a CW character who doesn't want to be on the CW. So it all works for me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Showrunner Interview

So there's your genre twist: It's not a supernatural one, it's a superHERO one.
I'm going to be bummed if we don't get a cold open of Archie dreaming that he's Pureheart the Powerful.

• Locked thread